World Cup effort

SwisshockeyAcademy
12-03-2003, 09:35 PM
The Slovaks will get to exact a little revenge for the shoddy treatment they received at the Olympics. Does anyone have an idea of who will coach and perhaps what a preliminary lineup may look like? I am especially wondering if it will be lasak/ Stana/ Budaj in goal. Will any players playing in Europe be included or will it be all NHLers?

Ego
12-04-2003, 01:31 AM
The Slovaks will get to exact a little revenge for the shoddy treatment they received at the Olympics. Does anyone have an idea of who will coach and perhaps what a preliminary lineup may look like? I am especially wondering if it will be lasak/ Stana/ Budaj in goal. Will any players playing in Europe be included or will it be all NHLers?
Team will IMO be coached by Jan Filc (gold medal in 2002) and Frantisek Hossa (bronze in 2003). Yes, it looks like there will be trio Lasak, Stana and Budaj. I don`t think coaches will risk picking the goalie with no North American experience. We will probably have some euro dman.

Lasak, Stana, Budaj
locks Chara, Visnovsky, Mezei, Suchy, Strbak- Majesky, Lintner(I don`t like him, but coaches do), Malec, Jurcina
locks Stumpel, Demitra, Handzus, Bondra, Palffy, Satan, Zednik, Gaborik, Marian Hossa, Nagy- Orszagh, Bartecko, Ron. Petrovicky, Radivojevic, Somik

bobbyboucher24
12-06-2003, 08:59 AM
The 3 goalies could all be good some day, but they're still young. Can someone with knowledge on the situation explain why Slovakia has had such a hard time turning out goalies. The defenseman to come out have been OK, while some of the forwards have been exceptional. But most importantly, why has the Goalie position been so hard to develop. If there was a better goalie, Slovakia could hang with just about any country.

Ego
12-09-2003, 07:17 AM
The 3 goalies could all be good some day, but they're still young. Can someone with knowledge on the situation explain why Slovakia has had such a hard time turning out goalies. The defenseman to come out have been OK, while some of the forwards have been exceptional. But most importantly, why has the Goalie position been so hard to develop. If there was a better goalie, Slovakia could hang with just about any country.
The problem is that we have no qualified goalie coaches. In some team they don`t even have one.

Youreallygotme
12-10-2003, 09:25 AM
sorry what was the shoddy treatment at the olympics?

bobbyboucher24
12-10-2003, 05:35 PM
I think Slovakia was shafted in many ways. First off, a complete roster can compete with any other country in the world. However, they were the only upper echelon team forced to qualify, and had to do it with a piecemeal contingent. Many of the players were only allowed 1 or 2 games at most, and those that were allowed out had to sometimes play games in several days straight. Anyone remember Palffy just sitting there watching from the bench? If the NHL was hell bent on making Slovakia "qualify," then they should have held the qualifying rounds over the summer. All of the Slovak players would certainly have been there, and Slovakia would have more than likely advanced to the next round. I am NOT saying they would have beaten Canada or the US, but they would have competed. Instead, the NHL held their hands behind their backs and forced the individual teams into tough decisions regarding which players to let go.

Tricolore#20
12-13-2003, 09:51 AM
I think Slovakia was shafted in many ways. First off, a complete roster can compete with any other country in the world. However, they were the only upper echelon team forced to qualify, and had to do it with a piecemeal contingent. Many of the players were only allowed 1 or 2 games at most, and those that were allowed out had to sometimes play games in several days straight. Anyone remember Palffy just sitting there watching from the bench? If the NHL was hell bent on making Slovakia "qualify," then they should have held the qualifying rounds over the summer. All of the Slovak players would certainly have been there, and Slovakia would have more than likely advanced to the next round. I am NOT saying they would have beaten Canada or the US, but they would have competed. Instead, the NHL held their hands behind their backs and forced the individual teams into tough decisions regarding which players to let go.

Yah, this was certainly the biggest disappointment from the Salt Lake Games. Slovakia's best squad is one of the best in the world. A patchwork lineup with no cohesion was an embarrassment for the NHL. If the NHL really wants to participate in the Olympics, they should really allow all nations to field their best squads. Its best for hockey. I would rather have seen Slovakia instead of Belarus in the Elite 8. Slovakia has so much fire power that it would have made the tournament more exciting than it was (although Belarus did provide excitement against Sweden... I'm talking about the rest of its tournament, particularly the anti-climatic game against Canada).

kajoo
12-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Slovak goalies are young but not unproven at all. International games and NHL are hard to compare but Lasak made 4 medals (1xWJC, 3xWC) during last 5 yrs in Slovak jersey. Stana was his back-up last three yrs.

Blueliners could be mostly NHL-ers, only one non NHL-er who could be included is Richard Lintner playing in Sweden.

Chara-Visnovsky
Majesky-Strbak
Mezei-Suchy
Lintner

Bondra - Stumpel - Palffy
Nagy - Demitra - Marian Hossa
Gaborik- Handzus - Satan
Zednik- Somik - Ronald Petrovicky

Other avalaible more or less NHL-ers are Radivojevic, Andrej Nedorost, Malec, Kolnik, Marcel Hossa, Bicek, Ciernik, Sejna,

bobbyboucher24
12-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Any chance Svehla would play?

kajoo
12-22-2003, 09:44 PM
No way. Svehla became member of couching staff right after retiring.

Head coach of team Slovakia is Frantisek Hossa (father of Marian and Marcel)
Coach assistants are Robert Svehla and Lubomir Pokovic (never played NHL)

General manager is Peter Stastny.

Robertsson 4-ever
02-08-2004, 07:56 AM
I think the slovakian roster looks really strong. I'm from Sweden and I would put the team together as follows:

1. Rastislav Stana, Washington
2. Jan Lasak, (Russia?)
3. Peter Budaj, Hershey (U22)

Defense
Zdeno Chara (Ottawa) - Lubomir Visnovksy (LA)
Martin Strbak (Pittsburgh) - Ivan Majesky (Atlanta)
Branislav Mezei (Florida) - Radoslav Suchy (Phoenix)
Spare: Tomas Malec (Carolina), Milan Jurcina (Providence) (U22)

Offense:
Miroslav Satan (Buf) - Josef Stumpel (LA) - Ziggy Palffy (LA)
Peter Bondra (Was) - Pavol Demitra (StL) - Richard Zednik (Mon)
Marian Hossa (Ott) - Michal Handzus (Phi) - Marian Gaborik (Min)
Vladimir Orszagh (Nas) - Ladislav Nagy (Pho) - Branko Radivojevic (Pho)
Spare: Ronald Petrovicky (Atl), Juraj Kolnik (Flo)

+ one more U22 player

Strbak is a good addition and is getting much NHL experience this season. Now Slovakia has 6 really good NHL defensemen and Malec and Jurcina is with the team to learn and gain experience for future tournaments. The offense is really gifted and talented, maybe the best in the world at the moment. I change my mind, it IS the best. No other country has the same depth in scoring ability. The defensive play will be the key for Slovakia in WC.

Sweden against Slovaka. It would be really interesting. :handclap:

flip588
03-28-2004, 03:34 PM
With the Slovakian's being fairly deep at forward, is there any chance we could see Stefan Ruzicka playing or invited to a camp or something?

Golbez
03-28-2004, 05:56 PM
With the Slovakian's being fairly deep at forward, is there any chance we could see Stefan Ruzicka playing or invited to a camp or something?

No.

Gaborik10
04-05-2004, 12:53 PM
The forwards Slovakia have produced in the last 10 years are just sick. Look at the lineup there! It must be something in the water!