Kobe suspended 1 game

took420s
01-30-2007, 01:06 PM
For this hit that even the announcers felt was unintentional: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a7TGrVIu3o

Very marginal suspension IMO. I could see a fine maybe, but 1 game for that? At least the 1 game will be against the Knicks, hometown boys Odom and Bynum will just have to step up.

GKJ
01-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Weak.

Bileur
01-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Weak to get suspended for that I agree but that certainly looked intentional.

Laces Out
01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
When I watched it live I thought it was just a follow through from the shot but watching it again it was definetly intentional, seeing how when he took the shot right after the block his arms were straight up and down.

Still a suspension is pretty harsh, a fine would have been more fitting.

danno2530
01-30-2007, 02:17 PM
That is one of the stupidest suspensions I have ever seen. You have got to be kidding me.

This sucks too because the Knicks play up to teams (SEE: being blown out by the Shaq and D-Wade-less Heat and then beating them with both in the lineup 3 days later), so we will probably get rolled.

Tuggy
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
A fine would be fitting but that is certainly intentional.

took420s
01-30-2007, 03:03 PM
I think his normal follow through was exaggerated because the shot was blocked and he was trying to get the ball back for another quick shot before the clock expired.

I watched it live, the two players were VERY physical all day long and I expected it to be in the form of an "accidental" elbow to Ginobili's gigantic schnoz.

took420s
01-30-2007, 03:41 PM
I just heard an interview with him on the radio...

He was told by NBA security while practicing at MSG that he was suspended and he needed to leave. Kobe said the League spoke to Manu and that Manu thought it was unintentional...

He said the NBA Players Union is on it and he is appealing the decision (so I think he will play tonight?)

He also said the entire Buss family is in New York and the entire organization is furious over the whole thing.

For what its worth...I have never heard Kobe sound so pissed in an interview, usually he is very PC but he said he was fuming in his hotel room since he can't be at MSG and was extremely angry about the way NBA blindsided him (usually they tell the team when an investigation is going on).

Go to Spurs Talk message board and you will see that even they think it is a horrible suspension.

Takeo
01-30-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't think it was intentional. It looks to me like his arm flailed out as a natural reaction to seeing the ball tipped in the air. He was trying to adjust his center of gravity so that he could regain possession when it came back down.