Bierk has setback in hip flexor

CoyoteBaloney
12-06-2003, 09:35 AM
AZ Republic reports:
Backup goalie Zac Bierk apparently has had a setback in his recovery from a strained hip flexor. He won't begin his rehabilitation assignment with the minor league Springfield Falcons for at least a few days.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyotes/1206yotesnotes1206.html

12-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Makes me wonder how long Bierk may need to "recover". It might just be long enough to get a trade worked out for Burke within the next month. Stuff like this just nearly seems blatant hiding of roster spots.

scoob4093
12-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Makes me wonder how long Bierk may need to "recover". It might just be long enough to get a trade worked out for Burke within the next month. Stuff like this just nearly seems blatant hiding of roster spots.

Falcon fans have long believed that the Coyotes are the masters in the league at keeping players on IR that are ready to play (Hrdina) and last year (Savage) rather than send back a player or 2 that have been called up as a result of an injury. In support you only have to look at the AHL standings the last 5 seasons to bolster this theory.

ulf
12-07-2003, 04:00 PM
Falcon fans have long believed that the Coyotes are the masters in the league at keeping players on IR that are ready to play (Hrdina) and last year (Savage) rather than send back a player or 2 that have been called up as a result of an injury. In support you only have to look at the AHL standings the last 5 seasons to bolster this theory.

scoob you probably could have found a better example of this lame theory than savage or hrdina :shakehead

scoob4093
12-07-2003, 04:31 PM
scoob you probably could have found a better example of this lame theory than savage or hrdina :shakehead

Ok. Please expand your statement.

ulf
12-07-2003, 04:38 PM
hrdina and savage are nhl quality players even with their particular faults...

how can sitting them be beneficial when the call ups are as you stated in earlier posts overrated prospects.

please explain your logic

scoob4093
12-07-2003, 05:51 PM
hrdina and savage are nhl quality players even with their particular faults...

how can sitting them be beneficial when the call ups are as you stated in earlier posts overrated prospects.

please explain your logic

From what I read in these spaces about traded players like Savage and Hrdina there appears to be some significant debate as to their quality. Taffe scored a PPG tonight against an AHL calibre squad. Sjostrom has not scored a goal this season at any level and has done absolutely nothing to merit being called up. Keeping these two AHL calibre players in the show for an extended period of time playing miniscule minutes is further support that the Yotes have no qualms keeping players on the IR that are otherwise ready to play. I would concede that Taffe, despite his defensive deficiencies, is a borderline prospect but what Sjostrom is doing there other than his pronounced disdain for McSorley, quite common among the Euros, which caused the Yotes to call him up is another indication of their long standing disdain of their AHL affiliate.

hbk
12-07-2003, 06:18 PM
From what I read in these spaces about traded players like Savage and Hrdina there appears to be some significant debate as to their quality. Taffe scored a PPG tonight against an AHL calibre squad. Sjostrom has not scored a goal this season at any level and has done absolutely nothing to merit being called up. Keeping these two AHL calibre players in the show for an extended period of time playing miniscule minutes is further support that the Yotes have no qualms keeping players on the IR that are otherwise ready to play. I would concede that Taffe, despite his defensive deficiencies, is a borderline prospect but what Sjostrom is doing there other than his pronounced disdain for McSorley, quite common among the Euros, which caused the Yotes to call him up is another indication of their long standing disdain of their AHL affiliate.

Scoob, I understand your displeasure with how the lack of success of this franchise has transcended both the parent club and its affiliate. I think we can all agree that the structure of the agreement in Springfield sabotaged any chance of success. However, the franchise and its prospects are headed in the right direction and things will improve over time. I think everyone would agree that playing Sjostrom for 5 minutes a game does little to help his development and doesn't benefit anyone except the pocketbook of the player. It is in the franchise's best financial interest (an interest that seems to be receiving a tremendous amount of focus this season) to limit the size of their pro roster and send keep players like Sjostrom on the farm. No, he didn't deserve the promotion but need and the desire to motivate other players provided Sjostrom with an opportunity which may also lead to increased motivation and likely more individual and team success at the AHL level. To insinuate that the franchise is keeping a player such as Hrdina on the IR for longer than nescessary at the expense of a prospect is stretching for something to complain about. If the team could spare the expense of paying for Sjostom's pro salary I'm positive they would send him down. It's also not like they held off on sending Kolanos to the farm when they could have sat his ass in the pressbox or had him play the five minutes instead. Why aren't we hearing anything about that move instead of the criticism that the Phoenix Coyotes management is out to screw the Falcon fans. I understand your frustration but your criticism is misguided. Things will improve. It won't happen overnight but better things are in store for Springfield. Soon the rewards of having Dave Draper as part of this organization will materialize at the AHL level.

ulf
12-07-2003, 06:26 PM
scoob... your answere is ????? that you don't like yotes mgmt and any silly spew you wish to post is a round-about way of saying it.

i don't like the mgmt team much either but try to keep it within reason,
fake injuries and a vendetta to make their "a" team fail or fans unhappy...give your bias a rest

Devils Advocate
12-07-2003, 08:29 PM
scoob... your answere is ????? that you don't like yotes mgmt and any silly spew you wish to post is a round-about way of saying it.

i don't like the mgmt team much either but try to keep it within reason,
fake injuries and a vendetta to make their "a" team fail or fans unhappy...give your bias a rest

I am amazed at the lack of support for our management team, ESPECIALLY given what we had before. Wow.

ulf
12-08-2003, 02:53 AM
I am amazed at the lack of support for our management team, ESPECIALLY given what we had before. Wow.

lack of support.......they earned it,got nothing todo with the last admin group.
i try to give them kudo's when i believe they earned it,[mcleod and cleary signings]apologise when required[suchy in retrospect]and take a shot at the moves i don't see as in the best interest of the yotes.

i think more support will come when more respect has been earned.

CoyoteBaloney
12-08-2003, 04:08 AM
You must really miss the X-Files TV show ... the classic show of consiperacy.

scoob4093
12-08-2003, 05:57 AM
You must really miss the X-Files TV show ... the classic show of consiperacy.

Conspiracy would be a bit overbroad in describing the Coyotes attitude regarding their treatment of the Falcons. However based on the play of the team the last few seasons and the start of this one the term Malfeasance would not be an inappropriate description.

12-08-2003, 06:25 AM
I for one do not agree that the Coyotes are trying to stick it to Springfield at this point, and probably never wanted to. In the past, and still today in many regards, the franchise has been less than stable when it came to depth and prospects in development. I don't think the current management would be so ignorant as to not want to encourage a winning atmosphere in Springfield to develop it's players. You have to realize something though, and for the Coyotes it's more important that the Coyotes put up wins than it is for the Falcons to put up wins. This would be true in nearly every situation I would assume across the NHL.

PhoPhan
12-08-2003, 10:27 AM
The Coyotes are not trying to screw over the Falcons. That is not what they would want to do...it would hurt them. However, if helping the Falcons comes at the expense of the Coyotes, it won't happen. Contrarily, if helping the Coyotes comes at the expense of the Falcons, then so be it. The Coyotes are the #1 priority, and there is no argument for why they should not be.

CoyoteBaloney
12-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Conspiracy would be a bit overbroad in describing the Coyotes attitude regarding their treatment of the Falcons. However based on the play of the team the last few seasons and the start of this one the term Malfeasance would not be an inappropriate description.
How have the Coyotes wronged Springfield?

ulf
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Malfeasance

:bow:

hbk
12-08-2003, 02:31 PM
How have the Coyotes wronged Springfield?

the multi-parent club system usually supplied the Falcons with unproven talent that left the Falcons with a less than competitive squad. In the case of Phoenix, we usually didn't have much in terms of highly touted prospects either which made things worse. Forcing multiple seasons of Dan Focht and Patrick Desrochers likely fostered some of these bad feelins as well. I'd be P/O'd too because it took the organization 4 years to realize the guy sucked.

12-14-2003, 05:23 PM
Bierk was supposed to get some time with Springfield this weekend I had thought. Pelts started both games this weekend going 1-0-1 with 2.00 GAA & .934 save percentage.

scoob4093
12-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Bierk was supposed to get some time with Springfield this weekend I had thought. Pelts started both games this weekend going 1-0-1 with 2.00 GAA & .934 save percentage.

Leneveu had the flu and couldn't go this weekend. As far as Bierk goes the situation is quite muddled. There was a season ticket holder function last week, that I was unable to attend due to a work committment, that was basically a meet and greet with the players. From what I was told he has been ready to go for about the last week or 10 days but is being kept inactive to keep a roster spot open for Sjostrom or Taffe rather than having one sent back here. This function was held however before Cleary got hurt which kind of nullified that thought. Suffice it to say that no one in attendance was surprised that Phoenix would circumvent the IR rules at the Falcons expense. Agreement was unanimous that they are the masters at it.

Gwyddbwyll
12-15-2003, 11:27 PM
From what I was told he has been ready to go for about the last week or 10 days but is being kept inactive to keep a roster spot open for Sjostrom or Taffe rather than having one sent back here. This function was held however before Cleary got hurt which kind of nullified that thought. Suffice it to say that no one in attendance was surprised that Phoenix would circumvent the IR rules at the Falcons expense. Agreement was unanimous that they are the masters at it.

Why do I get the feeling if Sjostrom or Taffe had been sent back to Springfield and then recalled in less than 24 hours when Cleary was injured.. you'd have been here complaining regardless? What would it have been that time? Cleary fakes injury to screw the Falcons because when he was young he was bullied by a guy from Massachusetts.

What exactly is the evidence Bierk has been ready to go? Even if he is practicing on the ice it hardly means he is ready to go for 60 minutes.. especially a guy with an injury history like his. After the injury problems with Burke I dont want us to rush any goalie back too fast especially when we have plenty of depth which makes it unnecessary.

Finally.. even if Phoenix are using the IR rules to their competitive advantage then more power to them. As a fan I'd be upset if they werent. They arent doing it to screw the Falcons... they're doing it because they play in this little competition you might have heard of called the NHL.

scoob4093
12-16-2003, 05:33 AM
Finally.. even if Phoenix are using the IR rules to their competitive advantage then more power to them. As a fan I'd be upset if they werent. They arent doing it to screw the Falcons... they're doing it because they play in this little competition you might have heard of called the NHL.[/QUOTE]

Let's just say that they are a little bit more blatant about it than other NHL teams. You're quite correct in your reasoning that they aren't doing it to screw their farm team. That would only be the frosting on the cake for what they've done for the last 5 seasons here.

CoyoteBaloney
12-16-2003, 06:13 AM
I can't remember who said it on these boards before but the Springfield Falcons and the Phoenix Coyotes have a mutually beneficial relationship. The part that Springfield plays is to make the Coyotes more competitive during the season. If they can't handle being a tool for the parent club then they should have asked to be an independant team with no NHL affiliation.

Doug
12-16-2003, 08:06 AM
The part that Springfield plays is to make the Coyotes more competitive during the season. If they can't handle being a tool for the parent club then they should have asked to be an independant team with no NHL affiliation.
That isn't even an option. All AHL teams are required to have an NHL affiliation.

CoyoteBaloney
12-16-2003, 08:43 AM
That isn't even an option. All AHL teams are required to have an NHL affiliation.
Then the Falcons and their fans need to stop complaining and griping.

Doug
12-16-2003, 09:18 AM
Then the Falcons and their fans need to stop complaining and griping.
They're paying fans and if they aren't satisfied with the affiliation with Phoenix, they have every right to complain. Doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

12-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Scoob has been accused to be "Ningfan" among the Springfield group of posters around the different boards, and I'd say their overly negative slant on things suggests something perhaps.

Regardless, as I said before, the Falcons are there to best serve the Coyotes, so sometimes it's not all that fun for them because the Coyotes have a lot of work to do to improve their farm system. These are the dark days, let's hope there are brighter days ahead.

Bierk clearly does seem to be hidden by the Coyotes right now however, and it shouldn't surprise anyone if that is the case. That is why I insist that Boucher & Bierk are not going to be dealt, and we are nearly showcasing Burke for a deal perhaps.