Looking ahead to next years Draft

Takkie
12-07-2003, 08:26 AM
i know i'm getting ahead of myself, but other than the obvious pick of ovechkin if we can get him, who are you guys hoping the panthers draft?
me, the one guy i want the panthers to draft is Cam Barker
of all our defensemen and defensemen prospects, i dont see one Stud D man who is Big, Physical, and has a mean Streak
this guy fits all three, and from what i've heard, his offensive game isnt bad either.

RCGP
12-07-2003, 12:36 PM
The Panthers have enough young defencemen, they need to draft a finisher with our first rounder. In the thrid round we should take a goaltender, because we have zero goalie prospects.

Thewbacca
12-07-2003, 03:03 PM
I think we need more offensive talent for the LW. If we win the lottery than Ovechkin is a no brainer but if we are around the 5th spot than we could still possible get Wojtek Wolski. Is Olesz a leftwinger?

Thewbacca
12-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Found this on the prospect boards:

11. Wojtek Wolski F 6-3/200 Zabze Could be the steal of the first round, A big and mean player, He has the skill to put in points in the NHL. Not very quick on his feet. He needs to work on that aspect. He can be lazy. But he has it all. Either you love him or you dont. I only have two taped games of him, One he dominated, the other he was non exsistant sp?

Makes me think too much of Huselius when I think of laziness. I still think we need a solid LWinger but Wolski scares me off.

PanthersRule96
12-07-2003, 05:24 PM
Found this on the prospect boards:

11. Wojtek Wolski F 6-3/200 Zabze Could be the steal of the first round, A big and mean player, He has the skill to put in points in the NHL. Not very quick on his feet. He needs to work on that aspect. He can be lazy. But he has it all. Either you love him or you dont. I only have two taped games of him, One he dominated, the other he was non exsistant sp?

Makes me think too much of Huselius when I think of laziness. I still think we need a solid LWinger but Wolski scares me off.

In order, I would want
1) Ovech
2) Evgeni Malkin-a super skilled Russian sniper overshadowed by Ovech. Is probably on par woth Zherdev only a tad bigger. Look at Kovalchuk and Zherdev. They add instant help to thier team. We need a sniper like Malkin or Ovech
3) Olesz-not extremely talented, but a hard worker
4) Barker-see above
5) Schremp
6) Wolski
.....other notables-McGrath

Acadmus
12-08-2003, 11:01 AM
I think we need more offensive talent for the LW. If we win the lottery than Ovechkin is a no brainer but if we are around the 5th spot than we could still possible get Wojtek Wolski. Is Olesz a leftwinger?

I'll go one further - we need a talented power forward for the LW, someone who can AND WILL grind it out along the boards, check, crash the net, create screens, but who can still score. We've got Anthony Stewart coming in on the RW probably as soon as next season, Nathan Horton at C who'll already have a season of experience behind him, and then we just need a hard-working, physical scoring presence on the LW. Does it happen that there are any promising ones in this year's draft? ;)

Is it possible just to draft a spine for our current players? :D

PanthersRule96
12-08-2003, 11:49 AM
I just read that Malkin is a power forward in the making on the HF prospect board. He or Ovechkin would be welcome additions along with Olesz.

I think we will most definately draft a forward with scoring ability and we should've drafted Staal or Zherdev this year anyways IMO although Horton will get better. Who cares if a player is soft. If they score 60 goals like Ovechkin could (he is far from soft)m then a player shouldn't even need to take a hit the whole season.

MAybe I'll change this list

1 Ovech
2) Malkin
3) Olesz
4) Schremp
5) Wolski

IMO we will not draft a goalie for another 3-4 years as Luongo is here untill he is a UFA. In the future, we will have

Bouwmeester-Krajicek
Novak-VanRyn
Mezei-

on d and that is solid an up front IMO within 2-3 years we will have

Bure, Weiss, Jokinen, Hagman, Nedorost, Horton, Stewart, Globke, Taticek, maybe Kolnik, Huselius (if he picks it up) and an 04 1rst rounder in prolly Ovech, Malkin, Olesz, Schremp or Wolski. The first three will be superstars and the others will be top point producers.

Ovech>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than anyone except Kovo drafted in the last 5 years.

Acadmus
12-08-2003, 12:18 PM
MAybe I'll change this list

1 Ovech
2) Malkin
3) Olesz
4) Schremp
5) Wolski

Ovech>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than anyone except Kovo drafted in the last 5 years.

Does anyone else get the feeling at this point we'll be in both this year's Ovechkin race to the end, and next season's (whatever year that will be) Crosby race? :cry:

Probably be great players to have, but what we'd have to go through to get there...

Slats432
12-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling at this point we'll be in both this year's Ovechkin race to the end, and next season's (whatever year that will be) Crosby race? :cry:

Probably be great players to have, but what we'd have to go through to get there...

I did a post on the Oilers board about this very thing. Remember that the Senators had a top 3 pick from 1992-1996 and with their crappy 12th pick in 1997 the ended up with Marian Hossa.

It may be a pain to go through it but they are reaping the rewards now. So with Luongo, Horton, Bouwmeester, Weiss, you could have the beginnings of the same thing.

Captain8
12-08-2003, 01:13 PM
I did a post on the Oilers board about this very thing. Remember that the Senators had a top 3 pick from 1992-1996 and with their crappy 12th pick in 1997 the ended up with Marian Hossa.

It may be a pain to go through it but they are reaping the rewards now. So with Luongo, Horton, Bouwmeester, Weiss, you could have the beginnings of the same thing.

And it won't mean a thing unless the right support system is in place, a la Martin and the Sens. The usually inept Russo wrote a prescient article on Sunday, in which none other than Dudley gave a strong Martin testimonial which left little doubt as to the key reason for the Sens' continued success and their ability to incorporate young talent into the organization. (That article, for those paying attention to what's happening right now, also underscored the importance of having a competent head coach in place.)

On the other hand, you have the Isles, which from the years 1989 to 2000 drafted in the following positions with their first pick: 2,6,4,5,23,9,2,3,4,9,5,1.

The only pick out of the top 10 was, of course, Bertuzzi.

Anyway, I'm waiting anxiously for a sign that this team is going the direction of the Sens, not the Isles.

Coolburn
12-08-2003, 02:49 PM
My top 10 for this coming draft (based on just FL):

1. Ovechkin (top Russian)
2. Olesz (top Czech)
3. Barker (3rd ranked amongst WHL players & considered top defender)
4. Malkin (2nd amongst Russians)
5. Wolski (top ranked player in the OHL)
6. O'Neill (3rd ranked amongst US college players & considered as a top defender)
7. Ladd (2nd ranked amongst WHL players)
8. Schremp (2nd ranked player in the OHL - I personally don't like his attitude)
9. Picard (top ranked player in the QMJHL)
10. Schultz (4th ranked player amongst WHL players & very big (6'5") defender

Note: every player here is a left handed shot except for Ovechkin.

Clash*
12-08-2003, 04:10 PM
I thought this past season Florida needed to draft another big defenseman and I thought Braydon Coburn was the man. Ask why? I'm not sold on anyone outside of Bouwmeester as bein a good defensive d-man. Krajicek will be the offensive threat everyone looks for, but he's a lot like Ozo from the comparisons I've heard. Slack on the home end. What this team needs is a Stevens type defenseman, which may have been Phanuef. After Ovechkin, this team should look towards defense, and not ofensively gifted defense either. Someone who is willin to deliver those bonecrushing checks we got to like Jovo's first year. Imagine a top pairing of Jovo and Bouwie now. Barker is another top defenseman from Medicine Hat (where do they find these kids? Bouwie, Coburn, and Barker now) and could be worth the shot. Yes, this team needs a top scoring threat, but this team needs to limit the shots and clear the crease first. Look how the Devils win. while it may be boring, without the top scoing threats.

RCGP
12-08-2003, 04:12 PM
I
IMO we will not draft a goalie for another 3-4 years as Luongo is here untill he is a UFA.

I realize Luongo is here, but who is supposed to back up for those years??? Sheilds? Lajenausse? And if luongo did leave in 3-4 years, wouldn't you rather have a NHL ready goalie than drafting one at the last minute?

Im not suggesting we burn a 1st rounder or anything, just that we do something to since we have ZERO goaltending prospects. I wouldn't mind spending a 3rd rounder or lower on a goalie.

Donga
12-08-2003, 04:40 PM
I will throw up a name...

Lauri Tukonen.

Skills:
A very talented player. Good size Terrific skater with lots of explosiveness for a big man, and is very hard to knock off the puck. Blessed with a massive frame, Tukonen likes to be physically challenged and is a punishing hitter who has no trouble handling the rough stuff. Also highly skilled, he is a shifty puckhandler with a lethal shot and solid passing skills. One of his main assets is his good hockey sense and vision. Possesses natural goal-scorer instincts. Despite his terrific offensive arsenal, Tukonen is not one-dimensional as he does come back to help out the defense as well. The top forward prospect to come out from Finland in some time, look for Tukonen to be among the first names called at the 2004

This is from ISS. It states that he is a RW but can also play C (from RLR). This guy is about 6'3 190. Still needs to bulk up but most prospects do anyway.

This guy could be another Olli in the making. We already have a Finn who can help him acclimatised.

Clash, I thought Coburn was a Portland player not a Medicine Hat player. Although, imagine that Medicine Hat team with Lupul, Bouw, Meyer, Barker and Katsistyn. This could team could be challenging in the late rounds of the playoffs.

Thewbacca
12-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Viorio will be a good backup. He's small kinda like Hurme. Lasj could also turn out ok. Hes had two bad AHL games but hes been sitting out most of the games behind Scott.

Thewbacca
12-08-2003, 06:26 PM
At least we have Ovechkin with my avator heh. Of course its a hackjob photoshop but I can dream.

jacksheit
12-08-2003, 08:39 PM
At least we have Ovechkin with my avator heh. Of course its a hackjob photoshop but I can dream.
hehe nice dude

PanthersRule96
12-09-2003, 01:36 PM
If we get Ovech, we will not get Crosby. Ovech could lead this team by himself right now, let alone another year. He could've played in the NHL and been competitive last year. He is the real deal and may be as valuble as Crosby as he is big, can be agressive, and is a great scorer.

Takkie
02-26-2004, 03:49 PM
*bump*
looks like we didnt tank as much as we thought, we are out of Ovechkin Contention
at the 9-10 spot it looks like we will get we should go with Lauri Tukonen IMO
he's apparently got good Wheels, is physical and Has a goalscorer's touch, not the Pure,Blazing Fast, Rocket Shot, Sniper i wanted, or the Physical, Banging, Crease Clearing Defensman , but good enough (BTW, we should really try to get a high 2nd rounder to draft Boris Valabik, a Physical, Crease Clearing 6-6 defenseman, kinda like Biron except physical)

PantherboyHTR
02-26-2004, 03:55 PM
*bump*
looks like we didnt tank as much as we thought, we are out of Ovechkin Contention
at the 9-10 spot it looks like we will get we should go with Lauri Tukonen IMO
he's apparently got good Wheels, is physical and Has a goalscorer's touch, not the Pure,Blazing Fast, Rocket Shot, Sniper i wanted, or the Physical, Banging, Crease Clearing Defensman , but good enough <b> (BTW, we should really try to get a high 2nd rounder to draft Boris Valabik, a Physical, Crease Clearing 6-6 defenseman, kinda like Biron except physical)</b>

Agreed :yo:

Thewbacca
02-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Biron has been playing physical! What I really like about Biron is his speed and ability to join the rush. Overall everyone underates his defensive and offensive abilities.

Rattrick
02-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Biron has been playing physical!

Are we watching different players? I am willing to admit that he has improved and I also like the fact that he is joining the rush, but Biron physical???

jacksheit
02-26-2004, 05:42 PM
i know i'm getting ahead of myself, but other than the obvious pick of ovechkin if we can get him, who are you guys hoping the panthers draft?
me, the one guy i want the panthers to draft is Cam Barker
of all our defensemen and defensemen prospects, i dont see one Stud D man who is Big, Physical, and has a mean Streak
this guy fits all three, and from what i've heard, his offensive game isnt bad either.

I agree, we need a big D man, whos a mean son of a gun

PanthersRule96
02-26-2004, 06:59 PM
Are we watching different players? I am willing to admit that he has improved and I also like the fact that he is joining the rush, but Biron physical???
He tries to be physical and does a decent job IMO.

Takkie
02-26-2004, 07:03 PM
the thing i like most about biron is he has that delayed, slide down the open slot for a scoring chance move down pat. Biron has definetly picked up his game and Dserves to have a spot, but he still isnt physicaland doesnt play big enough for my liking, he has shown flashes of Potential though

Coolburn
02-26-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm looking at Lisin more lately because he's the dynamic goal scorer that I think we need and he's got better size than Sindel. If A.J. Thelen opts in, he'd be a really good pick too for a d-man. I think we just need a top line LW more right now than a physical d-man. Plus those physical d-man take a whole lot longer to develop so we wouldn't see the results for another 4 yrs.

BTW, it looks like Valabik is probably going to be a late 1st rounder with his stock climbing right now. I would be willing to trade Kozlov at the draft for a late 1st rounder to get Boris around the area that FL drafted Stewart last yr.

CatscratchFever
02-26-2004, 10:14 PM

Wouldn't it be terrific irony if Biron became the good defenseman you secretly wanted him to be all along?

Rattrick
02-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Wouldn't it be terrific irony if Biron became the good defenseman you secretly wanted him to be all along?

I would love for Biron to prove me wrong, trust me I would. I can easily change.

jacksheit
02-26-2004, 11:30 PM
I would love for Biron to prove me wrong, trust me I would. I can easily change.

maybe its ur "Biron Sucks!" signature that jinxes him! haha change it maybe he'll continue to grow

Rattrick
02-26-2004, 11:32 PM
maybe its ur "Biron Sucks!" signature that jinxes him! haha change it maybe he'll continue to grow

Actually, he has gotten better since I have had it on. I was just thinking about that the other day.

Coolburn
02-26-2004, 11:37 PM
maybe its ur "Biron Sucks!" signature that jinxes him! haha change it maybe he'll continue to growSpeaking of signatures that needs changing...the Panthers aren't moving to Winnipeg jack so you can change yours now!

jacksheit
02-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Speaking of signatures that needs changing...the Panthers aren't moving to Winnipeg jack so you can change yours now!

mawahaha! Yes they r, their losing 17 mill a year!
I'm living on hope. :handclap:
i'd really like to see them in canada

Pie Man
02-27-2004, 03:27 AM
In order, I would want
1) Ovech
2) Evgeni Malkin-a super skilled Russian sniper overshadowed by Ovech. Is probably on par woth Zherdev only a tad bigger. Look at Kovalchuk and Zherdev. They add instant help to thier team. We need a sniper like Malkin or Ovech
3) Olesz-not extremely talented, but a hard worker
4) Barker-see above
5) Schremp
6) Wolski
.....other notables-McGrath

Hmm Malkin is not a goalscorer, he is more of an powerforward playmaker. His shot is not good enought to be consider a scorer. He look like a new Eric Staal.

And believe me Olesz is an talented guys! The perfect mix of skills and physical, sound like a european Horton IMO. He is like an Owen Nolan with better wheel.

The thing about those two is that in recent months they just got an serious concussion! But they should be ok from what I know.

But it look like we wont finish that low to pick any of them thanks to :bow: Luongo :bow: and someone mentioned Lauri Tukonen, now here is a guy I like, he can do it all. He got size, skills, speed, physical and he got an goalscorer touch. All that combined with his great vision make him an sweet prospect.

Or else if Tukonen dont fall to out lap there is one another guy I think will be something special, Alexandre Picard. He is a scorer alright! I think he will turn out to be another Tangauy ( I will get kill for this so dont let this message leave this room) :) hehehehe.

Acadmus
02-27-2004, 09:13 AM
mawahaha! Yes they r, their losing 17 mill a year!
I'm living on hope. :handclap:
i'd really like to see them in canada

Sorry, Jack. Next likely expansion sites would probably be Las Vegas and Houston.

'Course, they could always come to Vermont :D Not a lot of people here, but an NHL team would manage to pack house most nights. The only issue would be handling the traffic - they definitely couldn't build the arena in Burlington, but maybe off the interstate in Richmond or Colchester :rolly: Maybe even John Leclair's hometown of St. Albans - they've got tons of empty space near the interstate, and could locate right next to the INS office so the team could quickly deal with any immigration issues :D

Nah, I never think about this ;)

Acadmus
02-27-2004, 09:18 AM
Hmm Malkin is not a goalscorer, he is more of an powerforward playmaker. His shot is not good enought to be consider a scorer. He look like a new Eric Staal.

And believe me Olesz is an talented guys! The perfect mix of skills and physical, sound like a european Horton IMO. He is like an Owen Nolan with better wheel.

I don't know about anyone available in the draft this year, but what we really need is a good, physical, stay-at-home d-man who knows how to clear the puck from the crease. Odelein's pretty old and won't be around long, so we need to look for someone who can bring that sort of aggresiveness in front of Luongo to protect him from giving up goals on what few rebounds he offers.

After that we can consider scorers. We've not got a lot of goals this season, but there's been signs that that will change. More would help, but if Luongo really gets all the defensive help he needs, the smaller goal totals will be okay. It could also mean fewer blown leads.

Pie Man
02-27-2004, 10:38 AM
I don't know about anyone available in the draft this year, but what we really need is a good, physical, stay-at-home d-man who knows how to clear the puck from the crease. Odelein's pretty old and won't be around long, so we need to look for someone who can bring that sort of aggresiveness in front of Luongo to protect him from giving up goals on what few rebounds he offers.

After that we can consider scorers. We've not got a lot of goals this season, but there's been signs that that will change. More would help, but if Luongo really gets all the defensive help he needs, the smaller goal totals will be okay. It could also mean fewer blown leads.

Then we should draft Barker, but I doubt he will be ava past the top 5. Or we can trade our pick and somehow get Coburn from ATL. But I dunno if it will ever happen

TimHortons
02-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Coburn is not leaving Atlanta at all, he's one of their untouchables. I do agree with the belief that a solid young defensive defenseman need must be a addressed in the upcoming draft, however, we should probably use our first round pick on a forward. What this team needs is a top line LW, possibly trade up for Wojtek Wolski, a large LW, who plays on Brampton with another prospect Kamil Kreps. Kamil has been on fire of late, a good article on him (http://www.battalionhockey.com/news/?mode=view&id=3449).

Takkie
02-27-2004, 07:01 PM
i'm telling you get Valabik and Tukonen

Takkie
03-17-2004, 03:57 PM
how about trading our second round picks for a Janne Niiniima or a Desjardins, a Vet Defenseman who can still play. Our team is plenty young and we need to get older.
Also, x-Sharkie has us taking Radulov with our first rounder, this scares me a bit because all the Reports make Radulov sound exactly like Shvidki, but i think it's worth the risk since the draft is nothing but a Crapshoot anyway. we're looking at potentially a Kovalchuk type Sniper who is also phyiscal (not that he'll ever be at Kovalchuk's level, just play a similar game)

my recommendations: Trade our second rounders for a Vet dman/Forward who can still play at a moderatley high level (28-30+ acceptable) and Draft Radulov/MikeGreen with our first

Acadmus
03-17-2004, 04:11 PM
how about trading our second round picks for a Janne Niiniima or a Desjardins, a Vet Defenseman who can still play. Our team is plenty young and we need to get older.
Also, x-Sharkie has us taking Radulov with our first rounder, this scares me a bit because all the Reports make Radulov sound exactly like Shvidki, but i think it's worth the risk since the draft is nothing but a Crapshoot anyway. we're looking at potentially a Kovalchuk type Sniper who is also phyiscal (not that he'll ever be at Kovalchuk's level, just play a similar game)

my recommendations: Trade our second rounders for a Vet dman/Forward who can still play at a moderatley high level (28-30+ acceptable) and Draft Radulov/MikeGreen with our first
Not Desjardins. He's too close to being done for us to trade any potential long-term asset. Besides, he's been pretty fragile for the past two or three seasons. Good d-man, but only when he plays. That said, I doubt the Flyers will part with him. I don't think they have a bunch of #1-2 defenseman prospects waiting in the wings. Niinimaa? Doesn't excite me. I'd prefer a Scott- Stevens-in-2001 type, but slightly younger and who doesn't play as dirty ("clean" hits doesn't mean you aren't targetting people you think you'll injure when you hit, and the league will have to clamp down on that sort of behavior eventually, making a player like that a potential liability). Thing is, I can't think of anyone, even Stevens (who'll probably retire soon anyway).

Takkie
03-17-2004, 04:17 PM
yeh, frankly i dont care, as long as he is in the 27-28-29-30 range, and can still play, i dont mind if he's not a scott stevens type as long as his coverage and positioning and decision making is solid, this team really needs to get older, we cant just let a whole buynch of kids run around without guidance.

tigermask48
03-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Im hoping we get O' Neill, i got a chance to see him play a couple times last year when he was in Green Bay and again this year when i took a road trip to see my brother play in Notre Dame, and i can tell you hes more physical than the reports you read about him say. Plus hes been playing with Globke this whole year and the 2 of them were scary on the powerplay (i think they set eachother up for like 3 or 4 goals in that weekend.)
Besides O'Neill id like to see us take at least one goalie in this draft because behind luongo, shields, and scott we really have no one. lajeunesse has struggled all year in the AHL and is now in the ECHL. Does anyone know if scott's contract is up after this year? maybe vuorio could play in the san antonio next year.

Coolburn
03-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Im hoping we get O' Neill, i got a chance to see him play a couple times last year when he was in Green Bay and again this year when i took a road trip to see my brother play in Notre Dame, and i can tell you hes more physical than the reports you read about him say. Plus hes been playing with Globke this whole year and the 2 of them were scary on the powerplay (i think they set eachother up for like 3 or 4 goals in that weekend.)
Besides O'Neill id like to see us take at least one goalie in this draft because behind luongo, shields, and scott we really have no one. lajeunesse has struggled all year in the AHL and is now in the ECHL. Does anyone know if scott's contract is up after this year? maybe vuorio could play in the san antonio next year.O'Neill has to opt in which isn't looking very good that he will (unless that thing Dave Poulin, head coach of Notre Dame, was proposing to the NCAA to allow the players to opt in without losing their eligibility).

On the goalie issue, I would agree that we should try to get a solid goalie prospect this yr. But Lajeunesse isn't in the ECHL now (he played 2 games in Augusta and it was just to get him some starts, basically the equivalent of a conditioning stint). He was injured (groin I think) a few months ago (I believe in December) just when he seemed to be turning his season around. But Simon is only 23 which is extremely young in a goalie's development. He should stick around in the AHL another 2 yrs before he's ready to backup Luongo. I believe Scott is a RFA since he was signed to only a one yr contract. Vuorio has had a very good yr but he's basically splitting the duties for Jukurit. But he's not playing in the SM-Liiga like he was previously which is actually a benefit because he's gotten more playing time in the Mestis league. But he's actually younger (20) and needs more time to develop as well. I would wait to bring Vuorio over and let Lajeunesse get a little more seasoned. But another goalie prospect is important considering its a fairly glaring weakness.

patastrophe
03-18-2004, 03:39 AM
I'd prefer a Scott- Stevens-in-2001 type, but slightly younger and who doesn't play as dirty ("clean" hits doesn't mean you aren't targetting people you think you'll injure when you hit, and the league will have to clamp down on that sort of behavior eventually, making a player like that a potential liability). Thing is, I can't think of anyone, even Stevens (who'll probably retire soon anyway).

uhhhh, let me get this straight...you should avoid cleanly hitting a top six forward impact player that has the puck, SKATING WITH HIS FREAKIN HEAD DOWN? sorry man, hitting is part of hockey. lindros, francis, willis and the rest should have kept their heads out of their a**, dont they teach you that in mites?

specifically in the case of lindros, since i think this is who you were talking about, if he is in such dire peril of injury, perhaps he shouldnt still be playing. bottom line, if youre going to strap them on and play a man's sport, prepare to get hit like a man. and if you cant physically take the hits, get out while youre still healthy. i really dont think players should be expected to differentiate between who theyre going to hit and who theyre not on the other team.