If you had the #1 overall pick this year...?

Bourque7799
02-14-2007, 05:32 PM
What would you do with it, draft Greg Oden, Kevin Durant or would you trade it away to get a legit starter plus bench players and picks? I am a Celtics fan and honestly hope we lose out the rest of the season so our chances of getting the 1st pick is good. I'm kind of leaning towards Durant because hes shown an entire game, and there are rumors of Oden staying in school. Just wanted to know what all of you thought about it.

Dr.Funk
02-14-2007, 05:38 PM
If Oden declares you definately take him. Players like Oden are 1 in a billion. Durant is going to be great but not Oden great.

Anthony*
02-14-2007, 08:07 PM
durant

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Oden.

No way he stays in school. He can't possibly be that stupid.

Trading the pick isn't even an option.

Bruinaholic
02-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Cant loose either way but id go w/ ODen....stupid ass Celtics decide to win a game, watch em go on a 4 game or a 5 out of 6 win streak and kill there chances of getting the most lottery balls

Dolemite
02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
What would you do with it, draft Greg Oden, Kevin Durant or would you trade it away to get a legit starter plus bench players and picks? I am a Celtics fan and honestly hope we lose out the rest of the season so our chances of getting the 1st pick is good. I'm kind of leaning towards Durant because hes shown an entire game, and there are rumors of Oden staying in school. Just wanted to know what all of you thought about it.

Boston needs to clean out their front office first and foremost before they can even talk about building a winner.

13Hockey
02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Cant loose either way but id go w/ ODen....stupid ass Celtics decide to win a game, watch em go on a 4 game or a 5 out of 6 win streak and kill there chances of getting the most lottery balls

I'm afriad of that too especially the way Paul Pierce is playing. If the C's f this up and don't finish in the bottom 2 I will be so pissed.

You gotta take Oden if you have the #1 pick he is the next David Robinson.

BleedingOil
02-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Oden in a heartbeat, it's not even a question.

Live in the Now
02-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Durant is a more athletic Larry Bird. I'd take him over anyone from last years, and this year's draft.

SpeakerForTheDead
02-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Oden no question.

Bruinaholic
02-15-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm afriad of that too especially the way Paul Pierce is playing. If the C's f this up and don't finish in the bottom 2 I will be so pissed.

You gotta take Oden if you have the #1 pick he is the next David Robinson.

As much as i love Paul Pierce i would trade him given that the team has a crazy young nucleus....
I dont even care that they get any "great" young player back but if u can add say Oden for example w/ Jefferson and Gomes upfront 2 of Green,Rondo and West in the back court w/ Perkins,Telfair and Allen off the bench this team could put together a nice 5-10 year run

id call Golden State and offer Pierce+Scalabrine for J.RIchardson+S.Jackson which saves cash and makes the 25yo Richardson the starting SG and bite the bullet(no pun intended) and take on Jackson and make him the 6th man

Nalyd Psycho
02-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Passing on Oden would be just plain Crazy. So hard to find a decent center now, getting a great one is too good to pass up.

13Hockey
02-15-2007, 09:21 AM
As much as i love Paul Pierce i would trade him given that the team has a crazy young nucleus....
I dont even care that they get any "great" young player back but if u can add say Oden for example w/ Jefferson and Gomes upfront 2 of Green,Rondo and West in the back court w/ Perkins,Telfair and Allen off the bench this team could put together a nice 5-10 year run

id call Golden State and offer Pierce+Scalabrine for J.RIchardson+S.Jackson which saves cash and makes the 25yo Richardson the starting SG and bite the bullet(no pun intended) and take on Jackson and make him the 6th man

I agree I would like to see the C's trade Pierce I only think he has 3-4 good years left in him and that is about how long it will take to for them to become a Contender if we get Oden. But I don't think Ainge has the balls to trade Pierce.

BleedingOil
02-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Durant is a more athletic Larry Bird. I'd take him over anyone from last years, and this year's draft.

No way Durant becomes better than Bird.

Live in the Now
02-15-2007, 12:18 PM
I think he'll be very similar to him.

Bourque7799
02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I dont think Oden is a shoe-in for the 1st overall pick, Durant is sure giving him a run for his money with the stats that hes putting up. But just like everyone else said the Celtics will ruin their chances in getting either of them

Takeo
02-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Durant for not only his domiance but for his versatility.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Stephen Jackson can't be traded again this season. Wouldn't want him, anyways.

KingKessel81
02-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Except for the fact that Bird is one of the all-time great passers in the game and Durant is a well below-average passer. And the fact that Bird was an All-NBA defender and Durant is an average defender at the college level.

I am a huge Kevin Durant fan and I think he'll be an elite scorer even at the NBA level, but he won't even come close to Larry Bird's overall game.

As for this thread, I'd take Oden in a close one. Oden is a legit center, will be one of the best defensive players in the NBA the day he steps foot in it and his offensive game is better than Dwight Howard's was at that age (he averaged 12 points at an 18 year old with limited offensive game-- Oden should be good for 16 as a rookie if he gets enough touches). In his prime- I he'll be a 20+ point, 10 rebound, 2.5 block per game guy and the best overall center in the league. Durant will probably win a scoring title or two. Both are complete studs...

Ar-too
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
If Oden goes into the draft, draft him. If not, trade it for a solid vet or two.

Nalyd Psycho
02-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Interesting note, no small forward has been the Finals MVP since Worthy in the late 80's.

For what it's worth, winners tend to build around a big scorer down low or from 2 guard.

codycanuck24
02-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Oden no question.

Bourque7799
02-15-2007, 09:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2766880

Interesting article on Durant might not entering the draft, weird scenario but if Oden and Durant dont go into the draft, what do you do next?

Dr.Funk
02-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Brandon Wright or Joakim Noah.

Suddenly the draft doesn't look as great. Still very deep. But it looks sad if Noah is #1 overall.

Bourque7799
02-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Brandon Wright or Joakim Noah.

Suddenly the draft doesn't look as great. Still very deep. But it looks sad if Noah is #1 overall.

Agree completely. Some people are saying they think Hansbrough is gonna go top 5 even with Oden and Durant in the draft. But if Noah goes #1 overall, I'd rather trade this years pick to someone for next years pick.

Nalyd Psycho
02-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Agree completely. Some people are saying they think Hansbrough is gonna go top 5 even with Oden and Durant in the draft. But if Noah goes #1 overall, I'd rather trade this years pick to someone for next years pick.

I dunno, if he has another strong March, I'd really want to build my team around him. He's got a winning spirit, that shouldn't be underrated.