Coyotes acquire Chris Dyment

Greg
12-09-2003, 02:33 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, December 9, 2003

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA - Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Michael Barnett announced today that the Coyotes have acquired defenseman Chris Dyment from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for defenseman Michael Schutte.

The 6-foot-3, 207-pound Dyment has played in 13 games with the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season, recording 1-0-1 and 12 PIM. In 40 games last season with Houston, the 24-year-old collected 2-3-5 and 64 PIM. He also played in 17 playoff games with the Aeros in 2003, registering 0-1-1 and 8 PIM. The Reading, Massachusetts native played four seasons at Boston University (Hockey East) and was originally drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 4th round (97th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Schutte, 24, has played in 12 games this season with the Springfield Falcons - the Coyotes’ top minor league affiliate in the AHL - and recorded 2-2-4 and 10 PIM. The Coyotes originally signed Schutte as a free agent on May 23, 2002. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound blueliner was never drafted by an NHL team.

phoenixcoyotes.com (http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/press_release_details.php?op=details&ID=1695)

hbk
12-09-2003, 02:48 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Tuesday, December 9, 2003

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA - Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Michael Barnett announced today that the Coyotes have acquired defenseman Chris Dyment from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for defenseman Michael Schutte.

The 6-foot-3, 207-pound Dyment has played in 13 games with the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season, recording 1-0-1 and 12 PIM. In 40 games last season with Houston, the 24-year-old collected 2-3-5 and 64 PIM. He also played in 17 playoff games with the Aeros in 2003, registering 0-1-1 and 8 PIM. The Reading, Massachusetts native played four seasons at Boston University (Hockey East) and was originally drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in the 4th round (97th overall) of the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Schutte, 24, has played in 12 games this season with the Springfield Falcons - the Coyotes’ top minor league affiliate in the AHL - and recorded 2-2-4 and 10 PIM. The Coyotes originally signed Schutte as a free agent on May 23, 2002. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound blueliner was never drafted by an NHL team.

phoenixcoyotes.com (http://www.phoenixcoyotes.com/news/press_release_details.php?op=details&ID=1695)

reports on the main board aren't exactly glowing for Dyment. He was also not drafted in 2002.

hbk
12-09-2003, 02:50 PM
reports on the main board aren't exactly glowing for Dyment. He was also not drafted in 2002.

He's a 99 draft pick. I don't have anything on him.

CoyoteBaloney
12-09-2003, 02:52 PM
4th round, 97th overall by the Habs in 1999.

PhoPhan
12-09-2003, 03:41 PM
This is honestly the first time I have ever heard his name, but based on trading Schutte for him, I can infer two things. Either he is at the same talent level as Schutte, or someone in the organization really liked him and they overpaid for him.

If the latter is the case, these types of things haven't worked out great for us yet (as far as low risk, possible reward). Bonsignore, Ference, Cleary, etc. were all guys who were former high picks who the Coyotes gave a 2nd chance to. There have been others, but no one has really worked out yet.

scoob4093
12-09-2003, 03:53 PM
This is honestly the first time I have ever heard his name, but based on trading Schutte for him, I can infer two things. Either he is at the same talent level as Schutte, or someone in the organization really liked him and they overpaid for him.

If the latter is the case, these types of things haven't worked out great for us yet (as far as low risk, possible reward). Bonsignore, Ference, Cleary, etc. were all guys who were former high picks who the Coyotes gave a 2nd chance to. There have been others, but no one has really worked out yet.

Looks like a wash to me. These are two guys playing on losing hockey teams that were healthy scratches a lot of the time this season. That doesn't say much for their respective abilities. Kind of like I'll take your headache if you'll take mine.

Greg
12-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Schutte is in the last year of his contract and it looks like the Coyotes had no intention of re-signing him. He was loaned to Lowell at the end of last year. And has been a healthy scratch most of this year. He was showcased this weekend and played well. I think it's a situation where Schutte did not have a future with the Coyotes and they wanted a closer look at someone else. A defensive defenseman is someone that might get in Marty's lineup more than Schutte did. Not a big deal and likely has zero impact on the Coyotes future.

Edit- For those who don't remember his college career, maybe this (http://www.bu.edu/athletics/icehockey/bios/dymentbio.html) will help. Some of the Houston fans call him "the king".......king of stupid penalties that is.

thestonedkoala
12-09-2003, 04:31 PM
He was the weakest of the weak in Houston's bad defensive team this year. I'm glad they acquired Schutte, only because they needed a bit of a shakeup on the line and I was calling for a trade of Dyment. Glad it came.

hbk
12-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Looks like a wash to me. These are two guys playing on losing hockey teams that were healthy scratches a lot of the time this season. That doesn't say much for their respective abilities. Kind of like I'll take your headache if you'll take mine.

I'd agree with this assessment. What's the downside of dealing Schutte anyways? With Callahan, Jones, Forster poised to join the organization in short order Schutte's spot on the depth chart was getting more suspect. This is a minor deal with minor implications. A trade is a trade I guess and gives us something to talk about.

Suka
12-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Well I must say that none of the formentioned are the "reason" for the trade! I have seen Mike in springfield AS well as Lowell... I happen to see him alot in lowell and got to know some things, being in the postion that i am! Mike has ALOT of offensive skill.... but when not played and not paired well, can not showcase at all! Also a lack of faith, trust, and honestly lack of a REAL chance (I know some will have no clue what I am talking about.... but if you know the situation I am sure you will get it) will set any rookie back, no matter the age!
Just saying there are ALOT of things not said that are MOST likely the reason for this trade!

ulf
12-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Just saying there are ALOT of things not said that are MOST likely the reason for this trade!

your unsaid innuendo is not the 1st hint that all is not well in the mcsorley camp......

am i just reading more into this then there is or is marty losing the players???

12-09-2003, 08:23 PM
Wouldn't shock me if Marty lost the players already. I still don't believe he was the best choice, or a logical one.

Link (http://www.joyofhockey.com/Ph1ChrisDyment.html)

Chris Dyment
6'3 210 Defensemen Right 10/24/79 Stoneham, Massachusetts

Other Statistics Year Team League GP G A Pts P.I.M.
1997-98 Reading HS 22 22 22 44 15
1998-99 Boston U. HE 25 1 5 6 16
1999-2000 Boston U. HE 42 11 20 31 42
2000-01 Boston U. HE 37 1 10 11 38
2001-02 Boston U. HE 38 7 18 25 24
2002-03 Houston AHL 40 2 3 5 64

Montreal's 3rd pick in the 1999 Entry Draft (97th Overall).
-Traded to Minnesota by Montreal for a 5th round pick in 2002 Entry Draft, May 24, 2002.
-Traded to Phoenix by Minnesota for Michael Schutte, December 9, 2003.

Other Accomplishments:
Hockey East Second All-Star Team (2002)
Hockey East First All-Star Team (2000)
NCAA East Second All-American Team (2000)

Link (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=1431)

History

After being named Massachusetts' High School player of the year in 1997-98, Chris Dyment went to Boston University in his draft year. He enjoyed a solid season with Boston U., posting six points, 16 PIM in only 25 games. Dyment was then ranked 15th overall amongst College players by the CSB, and 49th overall. Montreal drafted the young defenseman in the fourth round, 97th overall, in the 1999 Entry Draft.
He exploded offensively during the 99-00 season, registering 31 points (11-20-31) in 42 games. However, his offensive output took a nose-dive the following season as he managed only 11 points (1-10-11) in 37 games. His regression has been blamed on possible injury problems.

Dealt by Montreal to Minnesota for a 5th round pick, May 24, 2002 and signed to a contract by the Wild shortly thereafter.

Talent Analysis

A solid college player, Dyment is still refining his game. He has yet to grow into his large frame, and become the physical force he could be. Nor does he utilize his size to clear out the crease, or force smaller players to the perimeter.
Dyment has a good, raw basis for his skill, and has displayed some solid offensive instincts, as well as the ability to be a strong defensive defenseman. However, Dyment is still extremely undefined, and needs to put together his talent in order to become a consistent contributer.

Future

Based on the regression his development took during the 2000-01 season, Dyment could still be at least two years away from pro hockey. His likely ceiling is as a fourth defenseman in the NHL.

Gwyddbwyll
12-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Looks like a something-for-nothing kind of deal. Since we got Schutte as a free agent. I am surprised though to see them trading an offensive defenseman away though as I consider it an organisational weakness.

Gwyddbwyll
12-10-2003, 12:42 AM

I think Landon Wilson has worked out well. Ramzi Abid too, for the short time he was here. Radivojevic was also a low risk, possible reward signing. Mike Johnson turned out better than anyone expected although not a former high pick. It hasnt all been doom and gloom :)

_Del_
12-10-2003, 01:59 AM
I think Landon Wilson has worked out well. Ramzi Abid too, for the short time he was here. Radivojevic was also a low risk, possible reward signing. Mike Johnson turned out better than anyone expected although not a former high pick. It hasnt all been doom and gloom :)

And Cleary as a UFA still looks like a great move to me... He's played fairly well, though he'll never satisfy those looking for 25g-25a b/c he was a former first rounder.... Ferrence too still has plenty of time to come around...

win some, lose some

CoyoteBaloney
12-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Looks like a something-for-nothing kind of deal. Since we got Schutte as a free agent. I am surprised though to see them trading an offensive defenseman away though as I consider it an organisational weakness.
Sure having an offensive defenseman is an organizational weakness, but who says that Shutte (or Dyment) will veer make it to the NHL?

12-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Sure having an offensive defenseman is an organizational weakness, but who says that Shutte (or Dyment) will veer make it to the NHL?

Given that both players were barely breaking into the AHL, I don't think this is a deal with long standing effects. It'll be one of those easily forgotten deals of the past, and probably won't even affect the Falcons that much, let alone the Coyotes.

gibber1600
12-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Does any one really care? :eek:

Devils Advocate
12-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Does any one really care? :eek:

thank you.

The Viking
12-13-2003, 08:33 AM
Anyone know which hand Dyment shoots?

Gwyddbwyll
12-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Anyone know which hand Dyment shoots?

Right.

Just type in the name in google "Chris Dyment shoots"

The Viking
12-13-2003, 11:27 AM
Right.

Just type in the name in google "Chris Dyment shoots"

I searched all around the Minni and Houston sites. Didn't realize it was that easy.