late night profanity on comedy central

gamera
03-03-2007, 10:51 AM
so....last night i'm watching south park on comedy central. it's after midnight and i swear i hear cartman say the F word ... then i think, nah, it must have just been "fuh" or "fudge"....but then he says it again, and it was clearly the F word.

then they show the south park movie, completely uncut!!! it was hilarious...f bombs dropping left and right and all sorts of other gems (saddam hussein whipping out his very realistic looking penis, and then throwing it across the room, "big floppy donkey dicks,"ass spelunker," "giving handjobs for cash," etc LOL)

is it a new rule you can ignore the FCC if it's after midnight or something???? or can you always drop the F bomb (this isn't HBO, it's Comedy Central, which isn't a "premium" channel) but they just don't do it?

i'm confused

it was hilarious, though, to finally see a south park episode without the beeps....

Declassified
03-03-2007, 11:09 AM
its been like that in canada for as long as i can remember, with the swearing after primetime.

StevenintheATL
03-03-2007, 11:11 AM
For the most part, that sort of language is allowed late at night on basic cable since the chance of the kids being up to see it is very slim. Comedy Central has been airing uncut versions of movies, roasts (The Shatner Roaster uncensored was awesome), and stand up comic concerts (Nothing like watching "No Cure For Cancer" the way it was intended to be see and heard.).

Scoogs
03-03-2007, 11:26 AM
South Park is great.

Tress
03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Cable and broadcast TV don't play by the same profanity rules because you subscribe to cable (limiting it's reach). Most cable channels choose to obide by stricter content rules out of either respect of their chosen demos or the fear of bad publicity/boycotts. Networks like FX and Comedy Central use more of their latitude because they don't really fear these concerns...and make money on edgier content (they also tend to air most of their edgier content during broadcast "safe harbour" hours).

Although, people (namely the religious right) have been trying to get more restrictions put on cable TV content because even though cable offers channel blocking, it doesn't control the content that comes through the channels themselves (broadcast TV sides with this because they are gradually losing the battle for viewers).

Jussi
03-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Only in America would an uncensored f-word late night cause a reaction. :shakehead :biglaugh:

znk
03-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Only in America would an uncensored f-word late night cause a reaction. :shakehead :biglaugh:

indeed. We hear these types of words in primetime over here.

Brad*
03-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Only in America would an uncensored f-word late night cause a reaction. :shakehead :biglaugh:DUDE LIKE OMG FINLAND MUST ROCK

gamera
03-03-2007, 01:50 PM
well, you're right, I'm in the US and it did cause a reaction...and it's not that i have anything against profanity, but it is not something i'm used to hearing on "regular" cable. I have hbo and expect it there (sopranos, etc).

i just found it interesting, as did my friend who was watching with me :)

Jussi
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
DUDE LIKE OMG FINLAND MUST ROCK

We don't need to watch cable tv to hear the f-word or it's Finnish version after 9 pm.

Static
03-03-2007, 02:36 PM
saturday night secret stash?

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
03-03-2007, 03:21 PM
It's like the Rogue Den of tv.

Pure Rock Fury*
03-03-2007, 03:30 PM
saturday night secret stash?

Yeah, except they do it Friday nights now too.

QcS
03-03-2007, 03:45 PM
In America, the F word or a boob will get the show off the air forever..

Yet dead bodies and blown up kamikaze blood pics will play on the 6 oclock news.

It's not new, get used to it.

Dolemite
03-03-2007, 03:52 PM
so....last night i'm watching south park on comedy central. it's after midnight and i swear i hear cartman say the F word ... then i think, nah, it must have just been "fuh" or "fudge"....but then he says it again, and it was clearly the F word.

then they show the south park movie, completely uncut!!! it was hilarious...f bombs dropping left and right and all sorts of other gems (saddam hussein whipping out his very realistic looking penis, and then throwing it across the room, "big floppy donkey dicks,"ass spelunker," "giving handjobs for cash," etc LOL)

is it a new rule you can ignore the FCC if it's after midnight or something???? or can you always drop the F bomb (this isn't HBO, it's Comedy Central, which isn't a "premium" channel) but they just don't do it?

i'm confused

it was hilarious, though, to finally see a south park episode without the beeps....

They've been doing it for years. They rotate unedited movies or stand up concerts every weekend in that slot.