If you were GM

YotesFan
12-12-2003, 10:45 AM
If you were GM of the yotes what moves would you make?

Who would you trade, try to aquire, what players would you go after?

Also who would you resign in the offseason, who would you let go? Any free agents you would go after?

And what kind of players would you Draft?

I'm Bored. Any insight would be helpful.

12-12-2003, 11:26 AM
I'll bite.

I'd like to see the Coyotes get more scoring depth on the team in place of guys like Savage or Gratton. A guy like Jeff O'Neill who has the skill and speed. I'm not sure the Coyotes have much to work with for trades right now, as several of the key guys I like would be the one's other teams would want, i.e. Nagy, Doan, Mara, Vaananen, Tanabe, etc.

Also who would you resign in the offseason, who would you let go? Any free agents you would go after?
I'd re-sign the Ferraro's, Sillinger, Bierk, Doan, Hrdina, Johnson, Kolanos, Langkow, Nagy, Nash, Pelletier and Brank. I'd let go of Shuchuk, Wilson, Banham, Gratton, Jaspers, and Nazarov. Boughner is someone I might sign as a free agent if the price was right. Wes Walz might be a decent guy to sign as well. Alfredsson is a player I'd bid on if the team could afford it, which isn't likely.

I'd go for skill first and foremost, couldn't really say who because that's an evolving process. I'd try to mix the European aspect with the NA style, but I'm a big believer in NA players typically unless they are the most talented Euro's.

Overally, I do admit that I think it's a tough job, and while it'd be fun to have some say so, there is a lot to account for.

Devils Advocate
12-12-2003, 02:39 PM
I would position myself so that when Joe Thornton's contract is up, I would have enough depth on the farm to trade a top prospect, Daymond Langkow (who next to Shane Doan is the player I would most hate to trade, but would probably have to be included in the deal) & a 1st round pick + to get Thornton. I would also make sure I could afford Thornton's salary demands.

The Bruins are notorious for not being able to resign players and can you imagine a first line of Nagy - Thornton - Doan?

For some reason, I have this feeling that some day Joe Thornton will be a Coyote.

Matzel
12-12-2003, 06:15 PM
For some reason, I have this feeling that some day Joe Thornton will be a Coyote.

While I would love to share your location (Cam's booty), I have a hard time sharing your optimism regarding Thornton. Since he IS a 'helluva playa', I hope you are right...

Dancin' Gabe rules! :bow:

PS.: If I was GM, I would change my plans for the holidays, because my salary would allow me to... ;)

hbk
12-12-2003, 08:34 PM
If you were GM of the yotes what moves would you make?

I'm Bored. Any insight would be helpful.

Keeping in mind budget considerations here's some things I would have considered from the start of the season:

1) when rumors of Keenan and his displeasure with Stephan Weiss surfaced, I would have been on the phone immediately. Not that Dudley would have dealt him.

2) At the beginning of the year I would have dealt for Darcy Tucker to add another piece of the Kamloops Blazer squad that dominated for much of the early 90's. I'd target Tucker because he was under a lot of heat in Toronto and was being run out of town. There is a view he's a cancer in the lockerroom but I don't buy that completely and it is likely that Doan would have some influence over him.

3) Speaking of Doan, I would have been tempted to deal Doan early on. He's on my untouchable list now though.

4) I'd be listening to offers on Gratton, Johnson, Sillinger, Suchy, Ference, Savage, Nazarov, Cleary, Hrdina. Right now I would likely target Hrdina because I don't know what role he fits on this team yet.

5) I'd be inquiring about Chris Phillips in Ottawa because I think he might be available given the depth of Ottawa's blueline. Would Hrdina be enough? Probably not but a package deal might be possible with Hrdina and Ference heading the other way.

6) When Colorado comes calling later on in the season I'd be looking to deal Burke and would be willing to add to the deal from the names above. Keith Ballard, draft picks. A future oriented deal.

7) I'd do everything possible to help Krys Kolanos recover mentally from the events of the past two years. Psychological, motivational speakers, whatever it takes. If the doctors advise that he is a high risk player for future injury I'd do everything in my power to flip him for Weiss, Comrie, or Legwand. I'd lose the deal if I had to get out of a bad position.

8) I'd watch the waiver wire for Ville Nieminen. He always seems to play well against Phoenix. I'd deal a mid to late round draft pick for him but wouldn't go out of my way to make that deal considering we wouldn't really want to add any salary.

9) I'd demote Sjostrom to the farm and try to make some room for Taffe.

10) I'd get Ben Eager's name on a contract. I'd continue with the strategy of drafting size and skill; however, I would be willing to look at moving up in the draft to acquire someone who could be a higher impact player. This means all draft picks are up for grabs.