oil vs yotes

ulf
12-12-2003, 04:48 PM
i hope the hard working yotes with the up tempo forecheck show up tonight.....otherwise it's all up to burke.

outshot 13-2 with 2 pplays...disgusting performance.

tonights line-up

nagy...langkow...doan
savage...hrdina...bronco
nash...gratton...sillinger
sjostrom...taffe...nazarov

very inconsistent performance for a vet team,very little energy from anyone.

Matzel
12-12-2003, 05:04 PM
outshot 13-2 with 2 pplays...disgusting performance.
very inconsistent performance for a vet team,very little energy from anyone.

What's up with that?! :dunno:

For years, this team has never been able to keep a good work ethic and a winning attitude for any more than a couple of games (save the record breaking run in the late '90's with something like 16 or so games without a loss). I don't want to blame Francis for a lack of effort from the players, but I am starting to wonder if there isn't a pattern. After a couple of solid road games and points out of matchups that you didn't really count on, you see a lackluster performance by the key players of this team. WHY...??? Shouldn't they all be fired up, ready to do whatever it takes to keep the streak going?!

Opinions, anybody?!

Dancin' Gabe rules! :bow:

Dancing Chicken
12-12-2003, 05:09 PM
FIRE BOOBY !!

The coachs job to keep the team going at 100%..

ulf
12-12-2003, 05:41 PM
the yotes came out lead by a solid effort by doan, in the 2nd.
i saw no real weaknesses in the performance although naz ruined my chance to watch taffe[did i pronounce that right] and sjostrom with his untimely penalty.

nash suchy and spiller all impressed
francis is playing his real players to much[pp and pk]
gratton did his job....hrdina is playing out there somewhere right :)

2-1 lead much better result

ulf
12-12-2003, 06:44 PM
40 more shots against....lots of rebounds by burke,always directed away from the play but the puck is still active in your own zone when you do this.

a 3-3 tie is disappointing.
naz deserves more ice time
taffe and sjostrom also.
the yotes look mentally slow in their plays[a reflection of the bench mentality?]
doan gets lazy on some plays or is he just worn out with the excessive amt of ice time he and langkow get.
made my wife watch..she says the coyotes look like they need players.
ference didn't look as bad as i've heard
where was mara?
glad to get the point :handclap:

hbk
12-12-2003, 07:04 PM
40 more shots against....lots of rebounds by burke,always directed away from the play but the puck is still active in your own zone when you do this.

a 3-3 tie is disappointing.
naz deserves more ice time
taffe and sjostrom also.
the yotes look mentally slow in their plays[a reflection of the bench mentality?]
doan gets lazy on some plays or is he just worn out with the excessive amt of ice time he and langkow get.
made my wife watch..she says the coyotes look like they need players.
ference didn't look as bad as i've heard
where was mara?
glad to get the point :handclap:

I tell you what. I look at this team and wonder out loud how the heck we are a .500 team. It doesn't make sense considering how brutal we've been for long periods of time. We've struggled on the penatly kill, power play, defensively, offensively, goaltending. Everything other than our 4 on 4 play has been horrendeous at one time or another. We have overachieved.

If Nazarov knew how to actually fight rather than his usual hugfest I honestly think he's not a bad hockey player. I hate saying that because quite frankly he's horrible as an enforcer.

Didn't see the whole game but Doan looked mentally and physically exhausted out there.

I'm happy to see Sjostrom earn his first ever NHL goal.

Waldo
12-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Too bad they couldn't get up for the Oilers but Coyotes a least took a point. Shoulda/coulda been 2 points but didn't really deserve the win either. Once again they play poorly against a struggling team but pick up an important point. Great to see Freddy score. The point keeps them at .500 and now bring on the Wild. MUST GET 2 POINTS from Minn.

Devils Advocate
12-12-2003, 07:35 PM
If Nazarov knew how to actually fight rather than his usual hugfest I honestly think he's not a bad hockey player. I hate saying that because quite frankly he's horrible as an enforcer.

Did you even watch the fight? Nasty thru the first 4 punches, & then held on (to protect himself) while getting about 8 (mostly harmless) punches to the top of his head. Ironically enough, ever since Hordichuk played here, I've noticed that while Nazarov does below average in his fights, he does start out by throwing punches, not hugging. Besides, he sticks up for his teammate (Sjostrom - see below) & challenges LARAQUE (arguable the toughest guy in the league) to a fight, & you dog the guy? Who else on this team could have done that. Step off.

I'm happy to see Sjostrom earn his first ever NHL goal.

Thanks to Nasty who started it all. He's NOT a bad hockey player.

Hordichuk_24
12-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Nazarov is actually a very good enforcer. He knows his role and never backs down. He is just an awful fighter. But even at that, he has improved a whole lot.

roadrunner
12-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Nazarov is actually a very good enforcer. He knows his role and never backs down. He is just an awful fighter. But even at that, he has improved a whole lot.

I give Naz alot of credit. Laraque is one big and scary mutha...a true heavyweight. Way to stick up for the Swedish kid and also help him get his first Pro goal! :rolly:

Hordichuk_24
12-12-2003, 08:33 PM
I give Naz alot of credit. Laraque is one big and scary mutha...a true heavyweight. Way to stick up for the Swedish kid and also help him get his first Pro goal! :rolly:

Laraque has a weak chin. That is one of the reasons he fights the way he does. Usually when he gets hit early he gets into a defense mode and it is a lot easier to beat him. The problem is most guys are afraid to go after him with a lot of offense from the get go.

hbk
12-13-2003, 05:53 AM
Did you even watch the fight? Nasty thru the first 4 punches, & then held on (to protect himself) while getting about 8 (mostly harmless) punches to the top of his head. Ironically enough, ever since Hordichuk played here, I've noticed that while Nazarov does below average in his fights, he does start out by throwing punches, not hugging. Besides, he sticks up for his teammate (Sjostrom - see below) & challenges LARAQUE (arguable the toughest guy in the league) to a fight, & you dog the guy? Who else on this team could have done that. Step off.

Thanks to Nasty who started it all. He's NOT a bad hockey player.

Actually no, I didn't even know that Nazarov and Laraque squared off last night. I wish I had. My comments are in reference to Nazarov's traditional fighting style where he grabs on for dear life and any punches that are thrown have the force of that of a twelve year old. I was actually trying to be complimentary to him because he's actually a not bad hockey player who can pass the puck better than some second liners that I've seen in this league. Nazarov does know and understand his role though unlike a lot of less talented enforcers (Domi) who think they are legitimate scoring threats.

Hordichuk_24
12-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Actually no, I didn't even know that Nazarov and Laraque squared off last night. I wish I had. My comments are in reference to Nazarov's traditional fighting style where he grabs on for dear life and any punches that are thrown have the force of that of a twelve year old. I was actually trying to be complimentary to him because he's actually a not bad hockey player who can pass the puck better than some second liners that I've seen in this league. Nazarov does know and understand his role though unlike a lot of less talented enforcers (Domi) who think they are legitimate scoring threats.

Exactly. Which is the reason I actually respect Nazarov. That and the fact he is a european player that was coverted into a north american type of player. That isn't very easy to do. But its admirable, IMO.

ulf
12-13-2003, 12:46 PM
when naz was 1st signed he played with briere....scored well and looked to have found a home.

i have never heard him complain or be disrupted to the team.

as an intimidator he is effective and as a player deserves a better lot in life...imo

Devils Advocate
12-13-2003, 12:57 PM
My comments are in reference to Nazarov's traditional fighting style where he grabs on for dear life and any punches that are thrown have the force of that of a twelve year old. I was actually trying to be complimentary to him because he's actually a not bad hockey player who can pass the puck better than some second liners that I've seen in this league.

I understand the reference to his past fighting style but as I said, I think Hordichuk had an effect on his fighting style in that he now seems to try & get off the first several shots instead of starting off in a protective 'hug'.

I'd like to see the look on his face after reading your post & understanding you were trying to be complementary. :)

I just get a little peeved when people complain about his fights & his salary (1.1MM). He takes on all heavyweights, doesn't complain, & he does a job on the team no one else can, nor really wants to. You can't really blame him if he's not in the lineup, its the coaches decision.

peace~!

Hordichuk_24
12-13-2003, 02:18 PM
That is exactly why I don't mind Nazarov. He keeps his mouth shut and does his job. That is all I ask of...

12-13-2003, 03:03 PM
I always have considered Nazarov a poor signing by the team just because they don't play him as much as they pay him for. I have always liked him on the team and felt he didn't get a fair chance at playing. He seems to mesh well with skilled players, maybe as in the old days as the enforcer on a line. Seriously...Nagy-Langkow-Nazarov...I'd be curious.

Nazarov-Gratton-Doan, might be interesting as well. Not saying he deserves the icetime, but I can be curious none the less.

Hordichuk_24
12-13-2003, 03:14 PM
As far as most enforcers go, Nazarov is one of the few in the league that will hurt his team the least....

ulf
12-13-2003, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=GoCoyotes He seems to mesh well with skilled players, [/QUOTE]

good call...hope booby is listening

_Del_
12-13-2003, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=GoCoyotes He seems to mesh well with skilled players,

good call...hope booby is listening[/QUOTE]

Good luck, the line with Pepe and Briere was on fire for all of five games before the Boob decided to split it up for reasons known only to him...

Sidenote: when he first arrived here, Nazarov said he didn't like the label 'enforcer' b/c he was a solid 'hockey player', but that fighting was part of the job and he didn't mind it. He said he thought he had more to offer. I'd love to see him given a chance to play on a line with skill players, but I don't think it will happen under this coach.

hbk
12-14-2003, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=GoCoyotes He seems to mesh well with skilled players,

good call...hope booby is listening[/QUOTE]

It's the same type of scenario with Coyotes prospect Ben Eager who will likely play a shadow role on a higher line than what his skill level indicates.

I'll agree that Nazarov doesn't hurt us with his play, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer (17 minutes of penalties against Buffalo anyone), nor does he intimidate many players in this league. He's a good fourth liner who can play a shadow role on a higher line periodically.

Hordichuk_24
12-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Well those penalty minutes in Buffalo are the exception. He doesn't do that very often. If you notice a majority (in fact just about ALL) of his penalty minutes over the course of the past few seasons are fighting majors. So it isn't like he is hurting his team or putting them on the PK all the time.

roadrunner
12-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Francis had known about Nazarov's story having coached in Boston. Naz is not a "natural goal scorer" or an "enforcer" but did what he had to do to keep an NHL job. He is still doing it today, and I give him a big salute for showing Laraque that liberties come with accountability. That big goal that Sjostrom scored was caused by "the Russian Bear". He did it with his fists and later with his skill and will. He is among the healthiest scratches I have ever seen.

I just wish we had a guy on the ice that would have shown Varada his mistake the day he cheapened Kolanos' career. Things will come around, as they always seem to. Thanks to Naz for a thankless job.

Hordichuk_24
12-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Francis had known about Nazarov's story having coached in Boston. Naz is not a "natural goal scorer" or an "enforcer" but did what he had to do to keep an NHL job. He is still doing it today, and I give him a big salute for showing Laraque that liberties come with accountability. That big goal that Sjostrom scored was caused by "the Russian Bear". He did it with his fists and later with his skill and will. He is among the healthiest scratches I have ever seen.

I just wish we had a guy on the ice that would have shown Varada his mistake the day he cheapened Kolanos' career. Things will come around, as they always seem to. Thanks to Naz for a thankless job.

Very good post. :handclap: :bow: