Durant retuning to school next year

Dr.Funk
03-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Dallas Morning News -
D.J. Augustin, point guard for the Texas Longhorns, said Monday that he's definitely returning for his sophomore season.

"I need to get better. I need to work on my game," Augustin said. "I need to work on my defense and get stronger and quicker."

Augustin also said that star freshman Kevin Durant has told his teammates that he's coming back.

"But Kevin's a humble guy, so he's probably going to say he's coming back whenever he's asked that question," Augustin said.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/45050/20070307/durant_tells_teammates_hell_be_back/

Brodeur
03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Well, we'll see. I still remember those North Carolina guys celebrating their NCAA title in front of their fans promising that they'd all return to defend their championship. And then a few weeks later declaring for the draft.

But at least Durant seems genuine in wanting to stay another year. I just wouldn't believe anything quite yet.

USC Trojans
03-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Durant and his Texas team kinda reminds me of Carmelo's Syracuse team...if Durant can lead Texas deep in the tourney he might end up #1 and change his mind.

Bourque7799
03-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I'll believe it when I see it

Bruinaholic
03-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Doesnt matter to me cuz the stupid ass celtics decide to win games when they have zero shot at making the playoffs and will probly end up w/ like the 7th pick and get a mediocre bench player rather then a stud that can make a difference

Ainge should be fired and Pierce shoulda been traded:rant:

Cerebral
03-09-2007, 12:36 AM
I can't even tell you how many kids I've seen say this exact same thing prior to the tournament. Durant is currently the likely #1 pick in the draft (yep, ahead of Oden) and I'm willing to bet he'll choose to go pro once he starts talking to some more people.

BleedingOil
03-09-2007, 03:05 AM
I can't even tell you how many kids I've seen say this exact same thing prior to the tournament. Durant is currently the likely #1 pick in the draft (yep, ahead of Oden) and I'm willing to bet he'll choose to go pro once he starts talking to some more people.

No way he goes over Oden. Oden type players don't come around very often. I could see him sticking around if he thinks Oden will go 1st.

took420s
03-09-2007, 10:59 AM

If Durant does declare for the draft, he should go #1 but the Oden hype is too great for a team to pass him up.

They both could use an extra year to bulk up for the pounding they are going to take in the NBA (not an Amaechi reference).

Nalyd Psycho
03-09-2007, 03:15 PM
No way he goes over Oden. Oden type players don't come around very often. I could see him sticking around if he thinks Oden will go 1st.

It's a tough call. Durant is, for all intents and purposes, a better player, but Oden is rarer.

I suspect Durant is waiting to see where he'll be picked as it's not uncommon for players that high to know ahead of time.

Anthony*
03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
how is oden rarer

who in history can you compare to durant

Nalyd Psycho
03-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Hard to say, but, he's unlikely to be in excess of a 30 point player. So, he's in the same league as Kobe and Iverson. While lets face it, there isn't an elite center in the NBA today. Shaq's on the decline, Yao is frail and never achieved anything, Howard could be, but isn't there yet. And then you take a step down to guys like O'Neil and Curry. There is a huge shortage of great big men in the NBA. So adding a classic center like Oden offers something untouched in the NBA today. While Durrant will be one of the best outside scorers, there are alot of great outside scorers.

Cerebral
03-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Given how damn impressive Durant has been, I'm not so sure. I have the two neck-and-neck right now and it will obviously depend on team needs come draft day. If Memphis ends up picking first, they'll probably go with Oden. If a team like Milwaukee or Philadelphia picks first, they could very well decide to go with Durant. Oden "types" certainly don't come around very often but neither do college freshman who average 25 points and 11 boards a game while shooting a respectable percentage in a major conference (just look at those numbers for a second, they're ridiculous).

Bruinaholic
03-11-2007, 12:53 AM
I can see Oden being an Okafor w/ more offense(26pts 11.5reb 2.75blk) and Durant being a Garnett/Nowitzki/T-Mac hybrid (25pts 8.5reb w/ deep range)
Being a Celtic fan id take Oden being the dominant Center to complement Gomes at SF and Jefferson at PF over the long haul but Durant is a clear stud aswell.

Nalyd Psycho
03-11-2007, 01:16 AM
I don't think Oden's offence will be that good. More like 20-25 while Durant would likely be 25-30.

Cerebral
03-11-2007, 03:11 AM
I can see Oden being an Okafor w/ more offense(26pts 11.5reb 2.75blk) and Durant being a Garnett/Nowitzki/T-Mac hybrid (25pts 8.5reb w/ deep range)

I don't really think Oden has the offensive potential to score that much in the league. He's a very solid positional defensive player for a kid his age (which is damn rare among freshman) but he completely relies upon his size to score at the college level. I have no doubt he'll develop some more consistent moves in the post but I'm not sure if he'll ever be a huge scorer.

Bruinaholic
03-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't really think Oden has the offensive potential to score that much in the league. He's a very solid positional defensive player for a kid his age (which is damn rare among freshman) but he completely relies upon his size to score at the college level. I have no doubt he'll develop some more consistent moves in the post but I'm not sure if he'll ever be a huge scorer.

Your probably right but ive read alot about how hes getting better and better w/ his offensive moves and foot work...
Hell surely be a 20-22pt guy w/ the potentail to be a 25ppg player

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
03-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I'd bet a large amount of money that he doesn't go back to school.

Gapper
03-12-2007, 01:02 PM
I can't recall the last time a clear top 2 pick stayed in school, I say he'll go to the NBA

Dr.Funk
03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I can't recall the last time a clear top 2 pick stayed in school, I say he'll go to the NBA

Then I guess you wouldn't remember the last time that 2 clear top 2 picks stayed in school.

My guess is that Oden stays in school and Durant enters the draft.

Ar-too
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Tim Duncan stayed in school.

Nalyd Psycho
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM

Joakim Noah last year. After his brilliant play in the Final Four last year, he was considered by many the best in the draft. The Raps disagreed, but Portland almost certainly would have taken him.

Your probably right but ive read alot about how hes getting better and better w/ his offensive moves and foot work...
Hell surely be a 20-22pt guy w/ the potentail to be a 25ppg player
Thing is, centers rarely score those kind of numbers. Shaq was the last to in '02-'03. But I just don't think Oden is Shaq good. At least offensively, Shaq is quite possibly 2nd to Chamberlain as far as offensive centers go, about equal to Abdul-Jabbar. Not as good a total package, but Shaq is/was a scoring machine. Oden's offence compairs better to Olajuwon and Robinson IMO, both of whom only had 4 seasons of 25 ppg or higher. Oden is a total package, but he isn't going to contend for the scoring title.

Durant will.