Kolanos and Springfield

Waldo
12-13-2003, 10:10 AM
KK semms to be doing ok in Springy. 5 gp 1g 3a 4pts +2. not too shabby. Have'nt been reading too much about him yet. I would like to know how he has been playing. Seems to me that he should be dominating and look like the best player on the ice. From anyone who has seen him play I would be anxious for opinions. The Falcons have been picking up a few points lately and am hoping that MMcS has started to loosen up a bit and get some good play out of his team but I haven't heard too much positive lately.

ratsgirl
12-13-2003, 11:23 AM
KK semms to be doing ok in Springy. 5 gp 1g 3a 4pts +2. not too shabby. Have'nt been reading too much about him yet. I would like to know how he has been playing. Seems to me that he should be dominating and look like the best player on the ice. From anyone who has seen him play I would be anxious for opinions. The Falcons have been picking up a few points lately and am hoping that MMcS has started to loosen up a bit and get some good play out of his team but I haven't heard too much positive lately.

what's this kids deal, anyways?
an (unbiased) opinion....i'd seen springfield twice before this year, and saw them again last night, seeing kolanos for the first time. he's obviously ridiculously talented. every time he made an effort, something good would happen. unfortunately, a lot of the time it didn't seem like he really cared to make an effort. he hit the post once, sending of a nice shot while using a River Rats player as a screen. In OT, he had the chance to win the game, he was alone with the goalie, but decided to go high glove-side, where clemmensen (who he played with at BC) was waiting for him.
all in all he was a lot of fun to watch, though.

scoob4093
12-13-2003, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=ratsgirl]what's this kids deal, anyways?

unfortunately, a lot of the time it didn't seem like he really cared to make an effort.

That appeared to be the problem he had when in Phoenix. The Falcons are playing Portland tonight in the battle to escape the cellar. Hopefully he feels like playing.

PhoPhan
12-13-2003, 06:43 PM
He is a Phoenix Coyote, I don't blame him for having 0 allegiance to the Falcons. When you start with the pro team, then get sent down, it's different than the normal progression.

12-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Another goal and assist for Kolanos tonight, +3 as well. I don't know if you keep him in the minors all season just to make sure and drive the point home, or if you have to reward him at some point.

Seems like he should be the first callup, but with Sjostrom on the active roster, it could be a while before spots open up (Cleary on IR for a few weeks) unless he takes Sjostrom's spot.

ulf
12-13-2003, 08:50 PM
a couple extra games in the minors as penance for his poor work ethic in the bigs should help his confidence and attitude.

Devils Advocate
12-13-2003, 11:09 PM
He is a Phoenix Coyote, I don't blame him for having 0 allegiance to the Falcons. When you start with the pro team, then get sent down, it's different than the normal progression.

Sorry, but that comment is a bunch of crap. A hockey player should show allegiance to his teammates regardless of where he is playing and how he got there. Right now, he is a Falcon, NOT a Coyote.

How can you make a comment about him having 0 allegiance to the Falcons? Did HE tell you that? You're making a very bad assumption about someone & what they are thinking.

I would keep him in Springfield until January 29th, & then bring him up & put him in the lineup against the Senators to see if the chance to play against Varada increases his level of intensity. If not, I'd send him right back down.

Dancing Chicken
12-14-2003, 07:10 AM
Also he would see Spezza. He had an EGO problem too, no cares.. Lived on the pine in the OHL and now is rumoured to have his head on straight..

hbk
12-14-2003, 08:15 AM
If Kolanos can put up a couple of these games together with some emotional play then I think he'll be recalled sooner than later. I think it's the passion that the club is looking for. He's extremely talented and will put up points but Kolanos has to get his head screwed back on properly before he gets a recall. Certainly the points give a positive indication but Phoenix will likely need to deal a centerman before they can make a bunch more roster moves. Hrdina, Sillinger, Gratton. One is going to have to be dealt. With Niewendyk going down in Toronto I wonder if Mike Sillinger's name will come up in trade talks with the Leafs.

PhoPhan
12-14-2003, 09:06 AM
Sorry, but that comment is a bunch of crap. A hockey player should show allegiance to his teammates regardless of where he is playing and how he got there. Right now, he is a Falcon, NOT a Coyote.

How can you make a comment about him having 0 allegiance to the Falcons? Did HE tell you that? You're making a very bad assumption about someone & what they are thinking.

I would keep him in Springfield until January 29th, & then bring him up & put him in the lineup against the Senators to see if the chance to play against Varada increases his level of intensity. If not, I'd send him right back down.

Okay, put yourself in his shoes. You come out of college and make the pro team right away. Being a Falcon has never crossed your mind. You play on the big club, meshing with the pro players, for 2 full years. Then, when you struggle a bit you are sent down (deservedly so) to the minors to play with guys who, because they are stuck in the minors and you were a former pro, are most likely not on your level. They are a basement dwelling team, and frankly you are the most talented guy on the ice. Why would you want to risk what might be a life long head wound to help some minor league scrubs win a few games.

Now, I am not saying this is how Krys feels, but I am saying that if he was to feel this way, it can be rationalized, not because that is how a professional should act, but because that is the way the human psyche works.

hbk
12-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Can any of the Falcon fans provide an update as to the development of Knyazev. I've seen his name on the box scores quite a bit and the points have improved but is he a reliable presence on the backend in Springfield and is he playing in key situations? Basically, has he reconfirmed expectations that he's a sure fire NHL'er?

12-14-2003, 06:02 PM
Obviously no more of a Falcons fan than you, but I have seen some reports of Knyazev's play, and they have not been favorable. I haven't seen any positive reviews, but some that say he doesn't belong in the AHL at this point and should be sent to Adirondak (ECHL).

Devils Advocate
12-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Can any of the Falcon fans provide an update as to the development of Knyazev. I've seen his name on the box scores quite a bit and the points have improved but is he a reliable presence on the backend in Springfield and is he playing in key situations? Basically, has he reconfirmed expectations that he's a sure fire NHL'er?

I created a new post for this topic:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?postid=584254#post584254

scoob4093
12-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Okay, put yourself in his shoes. You come out of college and make the pro team right away. Being a Falcon has never crossed your mind. You play on the big club, meshing with the pro players, for 2 full years. Then, when you struggle a bit you are sent down (deservedly so) to the minors to play with guys who, because they are stuck in the minors and you were a former pro, are most likely not on your level. They are a basement dwelling team, and frankly you are the most talented guy on the ice. Why would you want to risk what might be a life long head wound to help some minor league scrubs win a few games.

Now, I am not saying this is how Krys feels, but I am saying that if he was to feel this way, it can be rationalized, not because that is how a professional should act, but because that is the way the human psyche works.

Minor league scrubs ? I'm confused. Are they the top prospects of the Coyotes or the aforementioned "scrubs" ? I'll leave it to the so called "prospectophiles", a term admittedly plagiarized from another thread, that are here to answer my question. Then again considering the results commencing with the 98-99 season to the present for the Falcons maybe the teen age poster who penned these thoughts is telling it like it is.

PhoPhan
12-15-2003, 04:38 PM
Minor league scrubs ? I'm confused. Are they the top prospects of the Coyotes or the aforementioned "scrubs" ? I'll leave it to the so called "prospectophiles", a term admittedly plagiarized from another thread, that are here to answer my question. Then again considering the results commencing with the 98-99 season to the present for the Falcons maybe the teen age poster who penned these thoughts is telling it like it is.

By using the term "scrubs" I was referring to them not how I think of them (as potential NHLers) but as how someone who enjoyed early success may view them. If you start at the top, then are sent down rather than the normal way, you don't have as much respect for those lower than you (who are now your equals)

Gwyddbwyll
12-16-2003, 12:10 AM

Im surprised.. Scoob "malfeasance" 9043 is confused. He doesnt understand the post.

Oh wait.. maybe he's deliberately misunderstanding for the sake of another lame cheapshot post. That comment about the poster being teen age says more about your maturity than it does PhoPhan's.

hbk
12-16-2003, 04:45 AM
something worth noting.

Phoenix fans have been absolutely hammered on these boards for the selection of Fredrik Sjostrom back in 2001. He came over to North America early and struggled thus sparking hundreds of bust posts. His development last year went largely unnoticed and he is still largely tagged by others with that bust label.

Tuomo Ruutu who was selected in the same draft and as late as this summer was being tagged as a superstar prospect. He hasn't delivered and Hawk fans are beside themselves with "what happened?" concern.

What's funny is that we may see a role reversal on these boards. 2 goals in 5 NHL games in limited playing time may finally garner Sjostrom some respect. Ironically, the goals weren't classics by any stretch of the imagination but it should be interested to see how this plays out.

scoob4093
12-16-2003, 06:19 AM
Im surprised.. Scoob "malfeasance" 9043 is confused. He doesnt understand the post.

Oh wait.. maybe he's deliberately misunderstanding for the sake of another lame cheapshot post. That comment about the poster being teen age says more about your maturity than it does PhoPhan's.

Gotta admit Stevex scintilating comebacks are great for their entertainment value. It must be noted however they are not known for their veracity. Methinks this chap doth protest too much. Perhaps he is in the camp that regard the players here as scrubs ?

12-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Kolanos scored the lone goal as the Falcons are down 4-1 right now. Kolanos has been producing in Springfield fortunately. Not sure if he shouldn't be doing even better given his ability.