FW: Knyazev

Devils Advocate
12-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Can any of the Falcon fans provide an update as to the development of Knyazev. I've seen his name on the box scores quite a bit and the points have improved but is he a reliable presence on the backend in Springfield and is he playing in key situations? Basically, has he reconfirmed expectations that he's a sure fire NHL'er?

Well, I'm not from Springfield (and to make it worse I'm from Arizona), therefore according to certain posters I know absolutely nothing about hockey, but here's some interesting reading about him as well as links at the bottom to some other interesting articles.

http://www.masslive.com/falcons/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1071305153145241.xml

ALBANY, N.Y. - The Springfield Falcons got a goal from an unlikely source, but the way things are going, they'll take it from anyone who can deliver.

Defenseman Igor Knyazev scored his first goal of the sea- son, an unassisted effort during the third period to lift the Falcons to a 3-3 American Hockey League tie with the Albany River Rats last night before 2,333 at the Pepsi Arena.

The Falcons knotted the score at 3-3 midway through the third period on Knyazev's goal. The defenseman had the puck at the half wall when he let a shot go from a sharp angle that someone got past Scott Clemmensen.

"We've been working hard in practice on shooting the puck from the corner and it's working," said Knyazev. "It's nice to finally get a goal."

hbk
12-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Well, I'm not from Springfield (and to make it worse I'm from Arizona), therefore according to certain posters I know absolutely nothing about hockey, but here's some interesting reading about him as well as links at the bottom to some other interesting articles.

http://www.masslive.com/falcons/republican/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1071305153145241.xml

ALBANY, N.Y. - The Springfield Falcons got a goal from an unlikely source, but the way things are going, they'll take it from anyone who can deliver.

Defenseman Igor Knyazev scored his first goal of the sea- son, an unassisted effort during the third period to lift the Falcons to a 3-3 American Hockey League tie with the Albany River Rats last night before 2,333 at the Pepsi Arena.

The Falcons knotted the score at 3-3 midway through the third period on Knyazev's goal. The defenseman had the puck at the half wall when he let a shot go from a sharp angle that someone got past Scott Clemmensen.

"We've been working hard in practice on shooting the puck from the corner and it's working," said Knyazev. "It's nice to finally get a goal."

amazingly, I thought that Knyazev would be the cornerstone of the Markov deal while Tanabe would be a bit player. Looks like I was exactly wrong on that analysis.

Quick question. Ignoring the lack of contribution from Knyazev, would anyone trade David Tanabe for Danny Markov (and the extra 1.3 million on his contract) today? I don't think I would.

_Del_
12-14-2003, 07:40 PM
amazingly, I thought that Knyazev would be the cornerstone of the Markov deal while Tanabe would be a bit player. Looks like I was exactly wrong on that analysis.

Quick question. Ignoring the lack of contribution from Knyazev, would anyone trade David Tanabe for Danny Markov (and the extra 1.3 million on his contract) today? I don't think I would.

No, but Tanabe's shown alot more than I thought I would. At the time I thought it was a terrible trade, but Tanabe's been fairly solid with glimpes of greatness. I still miss Markov's presence on the ice, but the deal looks pretty good so far, especially considering Phx's financial situation.
Jury's still out on Knyazev, and I'm not a prospect-ophile, so I don't expect great things. However, it's also way to early to write him off.

Waldo
12-15-2003, 10:33 AM
he may not be gettting much icetime and has been a healthy scratch at times but in 21gp at 1g 3a 4 pts but next to KK at +5 Knayzev is a +4 in +/- which does not seem to indicate bad play. Maybe under MMcS you don't get icetime unless you let the other teams score goals.

scoob4093
12-16-2003, 03:21 PM
he may not be gettting much icetime and has been a healthy scratch at times but in 21gp at 1g 3a 4 pts but next to KK at +5 Knayzev is a +4 in +/- which does not seem to indicate bad play. Maybe under MMcS you don't get icetime unless you let the other teams score goals.

I guess the best way to describe his play thus far would be steady but unspectacular. During crunch time McSorley usually goes with Tselios and Wilson for the majority of the time. Knayzev doesn't make many mistakes but one gets the idea watching his play that he's holding back a little, perhaps afraid to take a chance. Could be McSorley's orders to him that account for that however. I wouldn't go as far as marking him as a sure fire NHL'er at this point.