Kobe Anyone?

Bourque7799
03-24-2007, 01:03 AM
I know a lot of people hate him for his personality and what not, but 4 straight games with 50 + points is awesome. Even if you hate him as a person, hes got some legit basketball skills, cant deny the skill and talent level he has.

Bruinaholic
03-24-2007, 01:24 AM
he takes like 45 shots a Fn game....**** that guy

Doomsday Device
03-24-2007, 02:29 AM
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Anyways, 4 games with 50+ points is mindboggling. Only Wilt's done that and he played in an era which was tailored to his success. When he's firing on all cylinders like he is now, I think it's questionable whether even Jordan could keep up scoring-wise

Nalyd Psycho
03-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Winning when your starting center has 0 rebounds is impressive.

There is absolutly no denying Kobe's scoring ability is amung the all-time greats.

took420s
03-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm happy to someone other than me started this thread :)

I'm going to assume Bruinaholic is serious, if only because it gives me something to write and it is a typical hater statment that whether he is serious or not...still is a standard response that I see a lot whenever Kobe is mentioned.

Again, not trying to single you out because you might be joking. I just want to illustrate some points to those (and you know who you are) who want to criticize Kobe for everything he does.

23-39 (59%) = 65 Points
17-35 (49%) = 50 Points
20-37 (54%) = 60 Points
16-29 (55%) = 50 Points

Average 37 shots / 54% shooting / 56 Point Per Game

^Anyone who does not like those stats, just plain does not like basketball.

lux_interior
03-24-2007, 01:07 PM

Hater in the house!

Kobe's carrying the Lakers right now. I'm sure you wouldn't complain if he....or anyone could do that for your team.

took420s
03-25-2007, 02:42 PM
This picture says it all:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1751/71797187jm011lakersgriznm4.jpg

1 on 5...KB8 ftw :yo:

Where is the rest of the Laker team in this pic???

Fish on The Sand
03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Hater in the house!

Kobe's carrying the Lakers right now. I'm sure you wouldn't complain if he....or anyone could do that for your team.

The Suns/Mavs don't need people to take 45 shots a game. They have a thing called teamwork.

lux_interior
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
The Suns/Mavs don't need people to take 45 shots a game. They have a thing called teamwork.

Yeah. Who needs a 3 time champion and future HOF'er in his prime?

Live in the Now
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM
They have a thing called better players.

took420s
03-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Neither do the Lakers...since Kobe has been taking an average of 37 the last four games.

The Suns/Mavs apparently don't have a need for shelves or cabinets either, since they don't have any championship trophies that need storing ;)

Nalyd Psycho
03-26-2007, 12:11 AM

Nah, Dirk and Steve have a thing called teammates. Can't blame Kobe for having Smush Parker in the starting line-up.

Fish on The Sand
03-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Neither do the Lakers...since Kobe has been taking an average of 37 the last four games.

The Suns/Mavs apparently don't have a need for shelves or cabinets either, since they don't have any championship trophies that need storing ;)

we all saw how good the Lakers have been since Shaq left........

Takeo
03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
This picture says it all:

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1751/71797187jm011lakersgriznm4.jpg

1 on 5...KB8 ftw :yo:

Where is the rest of the Laker team in this pic???

That pic is sweet! It's like a Where's Waldo?! Well either Warrick has three legs or there is one Laker standing directly behind him. I think there's another toward center court. You can see his arm to the left of Warrick.

took420s
03-26-2007, 12:54 PM
we all saw how good the Lakers have been since Shaq left........

Its been what? 2 full seasons? The first shouldn't even count due to their coach quitting due to health reasons.

Anyway, Shaq has nothing to do with Kobe dominating the NBA or the fact that Suns would trade Nash for Kobe 1-1 in a heatbeat.

In a heatbeat!

Nalyd Psycho
03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Its been what? 2 full seasons? The first shouldn't even count due to their coach quitting due to health reasons.

Anyway, Shaq has nothing to do with Kobe dominating the NBA or the fact that Suns would trade Nash for Kobe 1-1 in a heatbeat.

In a heatbeat!

Nah, the Suns are built for Nash, they would be a worse team with Kobe, even if he is a better player. The Suns need size up front.

Fish on The Sand
03-26-2007, 06:26 PM

In a heatbeat!

Face it, Kobe may be the best pure scorer in the league, but I'll be shocked if he ever wins another championship. He's as selfish as they come, and can't share the spotlight. Yes, his numbers have exploded since Shaq left, but he has had no success since Shaq left.

took420s
03-26-2007, 07:01 PM
but he has had no success since Shaq left.

Who gives a **** about Shaq? Why do you keep bringing him up? What has Shaq done by himself...with no other stars around him? He had Penny in ORL, Kobe in LA and now Wade in MIA to help him.

Kobe has Odom, "Stone Hands" Kwame, and a pg named Smush. Yet they will still make the playoffs and be a team nobody wants to face.

Fish on The Sand
03-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Who gives a **** about Shaq? Why do you keep bringing him up? What has Shaq done by himself...with no other stars around him? He had Penny in ORL, Kobe in LA and now Wade in MIA to help him.

Kobe has Odom, "Stone Hands" Kwame, and a pg named Smush. Yet they will still make the playoffs and be a team nobody wants to face.

actually, as a suns fan, I'd love to face them again. Unlike last year, the Suns are healthy and won't need 7 games to finish off the fakers.

Live in the Now
03-26-2007, 11:52 PM
If Kobe doesn't win another title, that falls squarely on the shoulders of Kupchak, Mitchell.

And the Suns happen to be the only team I don't want to face, I think we'd give the Mavs a run and hand the Spurs a 7 game beating.

I hope we play the Spurs.

Nalyd Psycho
03-27-2007, 03:01 AM

Of course no one can do it themself. But Kobe has never even been the #1 guy and won.

Ajacied
03-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Lakers will probably face the Spurs in the first round. Not exactly a preferable matchup for Kobe and the Lakers.

Ar-too
03-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Of course no one can do it themself. But Kobe has never even been the #1 guy and won.

I don't know if that's true. Not to start some revisionist history, but he was just as vital to the Lakers 3 championships as Shaq was IMHO. At least the last two. They stopped winning because the players around them got old and Shaq got lazy. Not because Kobe was selfish (which he was/is) or arrogant (which he was/is). He was those things all along.

Nalyd Psycho
03-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't know if that's true. Not to start some revisionist history, but he was just as vital to the Lakers 3 championships as Shaq was IMHO. At least the last two. They stopped winning because the players around them got old and Shaq got lazy. Not because Kobe was selfish (which he was/is) or arrogant (which he was/is). He was those things all along.

Exactly. They suffered because Shaq stopped leading. Without Shaq as a dominant force, they weren't championship material. If Kobe was as good as some would claim, then he should have been able to be the #1 on a champion if Shaq is his #2.

Ar-too
03-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Exactly. They suffered because Shaq stopped leading. Without Shaq as a dominant force, they weren't championship material. If Kobe was as good as some would claim, then he should have been able to be the #1 on a champion if Shaq is his #2.

That's a separate issue though. Shaq wasn't willing to be Kobe's #2. That's why he ultimately got traded. Kobe tried to take up the slack, but because of the suckiness of their teammates, Shaq's bad attitude, and to some extent Kobe's selfishness, they were doomed.

Impossibles
03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Where was all the Kobe love when the lakers lost 7 in a row?

took420s
03-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Thank you, some times I feel like I'm in bizarro world when discussing these things.

The last 2 titles the Lakers won...it was more like Shaq was 1A and Kobe was 1B, They were both equally responsible for winning. It was the same with the Heat last year, but Wade was 1A and Shaq was 1B (mostly a decoy).

Now lets look at some other current #1's and what they have "done" (championship wise):

Tim Duncan---Great #1 and has a few titles under his belt
KG---nothing
Ray Allen---nothing
AI---nothing
Lebron---nothing
Melo---nothing
Pierce---nothing
Nash---nothing
Dirk---nothing

Aside from Timmy D, these #1's have done "nothing" by Fish on the Sands definition of Kobe doing "nothing" since Shaq left right?

took420s
03-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Where was all the Kobe love when the lakers lost 7 in a row?

In case you have not noticed there is not that much Kobe "love" in here. The dude is putting himself in the NBA history books whether some choose to admit it or not.

Nalyd Psycho
03-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Tim Duncan---Great #1 and has a few titles under his belt
KG---nothing
Ray Allen---nothing
AI---nothing
Lebron---nothing
Melo---nothing
Pierce---nothing
Nash---nothing
Dirk---nothing

Aside from Timmy D, these #1's have done "nothing" by Fish on the Sands definition of Kobe doing "nothing" since Shaq left right?

Which is why, as dull as he is, Duncan is the best current B-ball player.

Ar-too
03-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Which is why, as dull as he is, Duncan is the best current B-ball player.

I don't know about that. If you asked me to put together a team to win a championship next year and I could pick first, I would probably take Kobe first (gritting my teeth the whole time because having him means high maintenance just because of who he is). He plays both ends of the floor tenaciously (unlike Lebron, Melo, Wade to an extent, Nowitski, and Nash) and is not injury prone (unlike Shaq, Tim, T-Mac, Iverson). Nowitski is the only guy that I'd really struggle to pass up.

Duncan played with a great surrounding cast for each of his championships.

Kobe's Laker teams have had subs playing as starters and guys on the bench who don't belong in the league ever since Shaq left.

I swear, the longer you guys keep making me defend the guy, the more I start to like him again.

took420s
03-28-2007, 11:07 AM
I swear, the longer you guys keep making me defend the guy, the more I start to like him again.

:biglaugh:

Don't worry , he put up a stinker yesterday (although he still managed to pull them together in the last seconds with a 3 and nearly willed them to OT.)

But the game yesterday was interesting because after averaging 37 shots the last 5 games, last night he only managed 26. Odom couldn't hit jack but still put up around 20 boards and 11 assists...dude needs to score more than 4 though.

Ajacied
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM

You mean his '99 fellow starters such as Avery Johnson, Mario Elie, Sean Elliot and an over the hill David Robinson? Granted he's gotten some help along the way of winning two more, but he's never had a sidekick such as Shaq..

Ar-too
03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
You mean his '99 fellow starters such as Avery Johnson, Mario Elie, Sean Elliot and an over the hill David Robinson? Granted he's gotten some help along the way of winning two more, but he's never had a sidekick such as Shaq..

David Robinson + Tim Duncan was better than Shaq + Kobe in '99. Robinson wasn't "over the hill" until 2003, when Duncan had Manu, Tony Parker and the rest.

took420s
03-28-2007, 02:18 PM

If you are talking offense...but take a look at the Spur players you mentioned, all of them were premiere defenders that could hit open shots.

The Lakers have not focused on signing good defenders in over a decade and they are hurting as a result.

Nalyd Psycho
03-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Kobe's Laker teams have had subs playing as starters and guys on the bench who don't belong in the league ever since Shaq left.

Nobody wins without a solid supporting cast. Jordan couldn't do it, Abdul-Jabber couldn't. No one can.

But, when Duncan has a good supporting cast, he can leads his team to victory, and has done so three times. Tim Duncan is not just a proven winner, he's a proven catalyst for winning. And that's why he's the best.