WJC Group B: Dec 26 GDT - Canada vs. Finland (3-0)

Predatore
12-25-2003, 01:04 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised by the Finnish team in the exhibition games before the tournament. In front of their home crowd they could have quite the tournament IMO.

Prediction: 3-3

markov`
12-25-2003, 01:06 PM
GO CANADA GO!

Prediction: 3-1 Canada

Goals: Meech, Crosby, Stewart.

Edler Von Gud
12-25-2003, 01:31 PM
prediction: 2-1 Canada in a very tight game

goals: Dawes, Burns

Epsilon
12-25-2003, 01:34 PM
I expect this to be a close, low-scoring game with both goaltenders looking to make an early statement to the rest of the field.

Prediction: 2-2

25+ saves each for Fleury and Toivonen.

Scorers: Bergenheim, Burns, Filppula, Coburn

Totamomasos
12-25-2003, 01:52 PM
I think Finland will win this one actually. 4-2 ! :)

DJ Spinoza
12-25-2003, 04:32 PM
This might be a redundant question posted over and over here, so sorry in advance.

Is there a link to a radio broadcast of this or any game?

Duff88
12-25-2003, 04:37 PM
In a tight game, Canada will win it

I'll do a big prediction :

2-0 for Canada
Paillé will get a goal and an assist, Richards will get the other goal
Crosby will hit a post but won't have any points
Finland will completely dominate the third period but Fleury will close the door.

SIBIR
12-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Finland

3-2 ...

no points for Crosby.

CSKA
12-25-2003, 04:48 PM
I go with 3:1 Finnland ! Close game ...............

Hmmmm ok Crosby with 1 A .

L3DZ3P
12-25-2003, 05:58 PM
4-1 Canada
Crosby and carter 2pts each.

Vincent Vega
12-25-2003, 06:04 PM
3-1 Canada.

Stewart(2), Burns.

Douggy
12-25-2003, 06:10 PM
Finland 2 - Canada 0

canucksfan
12-25-2003, 07:20 PM
3-2 Canada

Tambellini gets a goal and an assist Crosby gets an assist, Phaneuf and Carter get the other goals.

Should be a very close game. Finland looked good in exhibition but that doesn't mean anything.

SwisshockeyAcademy
12-25-2003, 08:08 PM
When we finished 8th, Finland was the team that got the ball rolling in the wrong direction for us. I like our team but there is no more dangerous a start. There is no time to waste in a short tourney. We need to be good out of right out of the box.

leafaholix*
12-25-2003, 08:18 PM
5-0, Canada.

Marc-Andre Fleury.

rtafts
12-25-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking 3-1 Canada.

Brock
12-25-2003, 08:43 PM
2-1 Canada

Burns and Richards for Canada

Marjamaki for Finland.

Jacob
12-25-2003, 09:20 PM
Anyone know who the oddman out will be for Canada? That is, Dixon or Colliton.

I'm wondering if the Canadians have adjusted to the time difference yet.

SpezNc
12-25-2003, 09:39 PM
I predict a game like the USA-CAN Olympic final...

A pretty tie game, but in the end, The strongest team (Team Canada) will win...

The score may not indicate all the Finns efforts.....

But of course, in this tournament, even if the finns are the underdogs in this game, Canada may lose...

all team are strong enough.. So, it to us to give all we can... and not count the finns for beaten....

I expect a lot from our defense corps, as well as fleury..

I ecpect the Carter-Getzlaf-Burns to lead team Canada offensively. Crosby will look great, but he will NOT have the pressure to be the go-to guy.. So even if he is pointless, he still can be a dominant and important player.. On the PP, probably he will receive some ice time. But don't predict to see him all the time.. He will get 3 or 4 line duties. It's already great for such a Canadian kid.....

Against Finland, if he plays like we know he can, he will maybe a score a couple points. But even if don't, for I'm already satisfied with him.. It's so special to see what He did so far. He don't deserve to get such expectations... But in the end, he did nothing to stop these... He is always better and better...

I think that Tambellini speed and Stewart force are going to help us...

And talbot-brent and paille are going to be our leader in the dressing rooms.. Duh, you will say... But I think that they will succeed in that role.

Before the tournament is starting, I can dreaming of a dreaming "GOLD" team.

NO... Do I can?

GO CANADA GO

Final score: 4-2....

Goals CAN: Phaneuf (On the PP), Tambellini (From Crosby) (On the PP), Burns (EV goal), Getzlaf
Goals FIN: Tukonen, Korpikari

leafaholix*
12-25-2003, 09:56 PM
Anyone know who the oddman out will be for Canada? That is, Dixon or Colliton.

I'm wondering if the Canadians have adjusted to the time difference yet.
I'd say Dixon.

Colliton's a great defensive forward... Dixon seems to be on the team for his offensive abilities.

Slick Nick
12-25-2003, 10:58 PM
It's so funny seeing you guys predict who will score on PP and who will get the assist. Why not put 13:26 of the second.... and predict that Fleury will stop 34 shots... :dunno:

3-1 Canada... Fleury does all those job, like last year.

teme
12-25-2003, 11:26 PM
2-2
Piispanen, Bergenheim
Coburn, Burns

Anyone going to the game?

Epsilon
12-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Hopefully I'll be able to catch a replay of this game, since I'll probably miss at least part of it for Boxing Day shopping.

Evilo
12-26-2003, 12:35 AM
I'd say Dixon.

Colliton's a great defensive forward... Dixon seems to be on the team for his offensive abilities.
I thought Dixon was on the team actually because he's fairly good at BOTH sides of the rink :dunno:

MeN_Ace2
12-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Going to the game today.

Will keep you posted on my thoughts. Im very intrested to Fleury up close.

Prediction: 3-1 Finland.

Raimo Sillanpää
12-26-2003, 02:36 AM
Finland 3-0 Canada

Toivonen stops 5,000 shots...

Jamina
12-26-2003, 02:58 AM
4-1 for Finland

Marjamäki, Piispanen, Bergenheim and Junnila. Korpikari assists two goals.

16w
12-26-2003, 05:21 AM
Canada routs Finland 6-1 proving yet again why we rule the hockey world

let the games begin!

VOB
12-26-2003, 05:56 AM
Canada will be in for a rude surprise as they come up against a hard nosed team that plays excellent defense.

Finland 3 Canada 0 (score would be 6-0 were it not for Fleury. Canada will not generate more than 20 shots on goal.)

BCCHL inactive
12-26-2003, 05:59 AM
Canada will be in for a rude surprise as they come up against a hard nosed team that plays excellent defense.

Finland 3 Canada 0 (score would be 6-0 were it not for Fleury. Canada will not generate more than 20 shots on goal.)

On paper, a 3-0 or 6-0 score would be in Canada's favour. Now obviously "on paper" means nothing, but what makes you think Canada will not be ready for Finland, and will not be able to beat their defence? What are you basing your opinions on?

BCCHL inactive
12-26-2003, 06:22 AM
Or is it too hard to accept that someone dares to suggest that your favorite team is not good enough?

No...I would expect a little reasoning why he has the opinion that perhaps the most potent offence on paper at this tournament won't be able to handle Finland's defence, which isn't that spectacular on paper.

When you predict upsets like that, you should be able to say why.

dragonwyck
12-26-2003, 06:50 AM
When you predict upsets like that, you should be able to say why.

It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the fact that you didn't like his prediction.

He did give his reason... Finland plays excellent defense.

-HIFK-
12-26-2003, 07:24 AM
No...I would expect a little reasoning why he has the opinion that perhaps the most potent offence on paper at this tournament won't be able to handle Finland's defence, which isn't that spectacular on paper.
It´s a good thing they play these games on ice instead of paper...

Would you like me to explain more precisely to you what I base my opinion upon? :)

Chainshot
12-26-2003, 07:29 AM
It´s a good thing they play these games on ice instead of paper...

Yeah... awefully tough to skate on paper. All those cut up playing surfaces too. :D

BruinsGirl
12-26-2003, 07:54 AM
GO HANNU!!! GO MASI!!!

Hannu can actually steal this game for Finland!!!! :handclap:

Bud The Spud*
12-26-2003, 07:58 AM
First goal scored by Dion Phaneuf :handclap:

BCCHL inactive
12-26-2003, 08:09 AM
Richards, Dawes and Stewart are dominating this game in the Finnish zone. Their cycling behind the net is like nothing I've seen in a long time. It was only a matter of time before it resulted in a goal for them.

Slats432
12-26-2003, 08:09 AM
Generally a good period for both teams. More sustained pressure by the Canadians that is for sure.

Finns are much better using the long ball than the Canucks, Canada has pretty much zero transition offense but is great with sustaining pressure in the Finn zone when they have the puck.

Crosby has created a few chances, Paille has been banging but the Dawes-Stewart-Richards line has been the best on the ice.

One post hit by the Finns...

Tukkonen skates very well, hasn't had the puck much. Fillipula has been the best Finn from my standpoint.

V for Voodoo
12-26-2003, 08:10 AM
who are the scratches?

Slats432
12-26-2003, 08:11 AM
who are the scratches?

Haven't seen the rosters....

BCCHL inactive
12-26-2003, 08:12 AM
It has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the fact that you didn't like his prediction.

He did give his reason... Finland plays excellent defense.

Considering this is the first game of the tournament, how does he know that?

If you guys had read the Canada vs. Austria thread, VOB was going on and on about how Canada is going to get killed by the Finns based on their 6-1 win over the Austrians compared to Finland's 13-0 win over the same team.

The Austrian
12-26-2003, 08:16 AM
Haven't seen the rosters....

www.iihf.com

here you can find the roster...

dragonwyck
12-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Considering this is the first game of the tournament, how does he know that?

If you didn't like his reasoning, then that's what you should have said. Instead, you accused him of not providing any reasoning when he obviously did.

Fedz
12-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Richards, Dawes and Stewart are dominating this game in the Finnish zone. Their cycling behind the net is like nothing I've seen in a long time. It was only a matter of time before it resulted in a goal for them.
I completely agree. That line has been by far the top line for team Canada, only one period though. I was also very pleased with Jeff Tambellini, and Dion Phaneufs play, kinda funny when Phaneuf and Bergenheim got into a little scrum, McGuire said this, "I know Bergenheim is a tough kid, but if it came to a fight Phaeuf would cave his head in" LOL

On another note, I have been bery dissapointed in Brent Burns, hes got amazing talent that alone makes him look good, but hes constantly out of place.

Damn, Toivenen is cheap too :eek:

BCCHL inactive
12-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Damn, Toivenen is cheap too :eek:

No doubt. Even I was in shock he didn't get called for railroading Tambellini. :p

Bud The Spud*
12-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Dan Paille makes it 2-0 Canada! :yo:

V for Voodoo
12-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Gorges is playing so Klein must be the D-man scratched.

Toivonen was hung out to dry there.

cagney
12-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Klein is playing.

Draft Guru
12-26-2003, 08:50 AM
I don't think there are any scratches.

Colliton is the 13th forward and Klein the 7th defenseman..and they're both playing.

canucksfan
12-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Canada is playing a solid game. The Richards Stewart Dawes line is playing great. Colliton is not playing that much.

Slats432
12-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Canada dominating again...before the last powerplay outshooting the Finns 13-4 in the 2nd period.

Canada's blueline just looks intelligent. Positionally sound.

Richards is having a great game...

Canada playing very physical, looks like a few tentative Finnish plays because of it.

Really like Fillipula and Bergenheim on the other side...both fighting hard and almost every Finnish chance comes off their play.

Habber
12-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Great game by Canada so far.

We're doing a really good job of pressuring the puck in every zone. Good to see us take advatage of our size. I don't think the Finns have carried the puck into our zone more than a couple times. Our D have been standing them up very well.

barrytrotzsneck
12-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Canada dominating again...before the last powerplay outshooting the Finns 13-4 in the 2nd period.

Canada's blueline just looks intelligent. Positionally sound.

Richards is having a great game...

Canada playing very physical, looks like a few tentative Finnish plays because of it.

Really like Fillipula and Bergenheim on the other side...both fighting hard and almost every Finnish chance comes off their play.

bergenheim has been, by far, the best for finland.

Bud The Spud*
12-26-2003, 09:16 AM
Anthony Stewart scores! 3-0 Canada :D

Predatore
12-26-2003, 09:19 AM
how has Lauri T been doing for Finland?
thanks

Vincent Vega
12-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Stewart looks awesome so far! 1G 1A!

canucksfan
12-26-2003, 09:44 AM
thanks
He didn't look good. The only good forward for the Finns was Bergenheim.

Slats432
12-26-2003, 09:44 AM
thanks

Invisible.

Slats432
12-26-2003, 09:45 AM
He didn't look good. The only good forward for the Finns was Bergenheim.
And Fillipula.

canucksfan
12-26-2003, 09:47 AM
And Fillipula.
Ya he played good but I couldn't remember his name.

Canada's defence was awesome. A few breakdowns in the first but after that the Finns had no chances.

King of Stankonia
12-26-2003, 09:50 AM
Was just reading posts by Finnish fans. Boy were you guys wrong. It was like watching the Gold medal game from last year only Canada was on the bigger side. The Finns were outmatched behind both nets, in the corners and along the boards. The defense made some horrendous give-aways and looked like Pee-Wees against the "Gigantor" line of Stewart-Carter-Getzlaf.
Poor Hannu Toivonen. The only positive thing that the Finns can take away from this game is that Toivonen is good.
And to any Flames fans reading this thread, Phaneuf looks incredible. Was the best defenceman on the ice for both teams by far. The Seabrook-Coburn connection looked alright, but were beat a couple of times and didn't look to be totally in sync. Neufy just looked stellar.

L3DZ3P
12-26-2003, 09:51 AM
Pretty simple Canada outmuscled them,outskated them,outskilled them and outshot them.

Gags1288
12-26-2003, 09:51 AM
I may be a little biased, but I thought that Richard's was the best forward out on the ice. He was constantly creating plays down low and showed tremendous strength for someone his size. I thought that he made a lot of great plays and was in large part responsible for the 1st and 3rd goals of the game.

On defense, I was very impressed with Phaneuf's play, he was very solid. He really reminds me of Adam Foote and kind of even looks like him as well. I was not too impressed with Coburn or Seabrooke, both were solid but not spectacular.

This was also the first time I've gotten to see Sidney play and I was extremely impressed. He made tons of great plays, specifically in the 2nd and 3rd period and his linemates were unable to capatilize. I could see this kid being one of the top scorers in this tournament, with not too much ice time.

Fluery was solid in net and made the saves he had to, but the Finns just couldn't generate any offense. I think it's difficult to get an idea of how good the Canada defense actually is because finland just doesn't have much offense.

dragonwyck
12-26-2003, 09:55 AM
Any thoughts on Shawn Belle would be greatly appreciated. I understand he was on the 3rd pairing so he may not have been noticed much.

willie
12-26-2003, 09:58 AM
Finland will be in for a rude surprise as they come up against a hard nosed team that plays excellent defense.

Canada 3 Finland 0 (score would be 6-0 were it not for Toivonen . Finland will not generate more than 20 shots on goal.)

What a prediction! :bow: :bow:

punchy1
12-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Tambellini looked great. He made a couple of dandy moves to get open and I thought he and Sidney had a few brilliant moments. Although I didn't see Tambellini on the ice too often when he was out there he looked solid.

I would say that Stewart looked to be the strongest Can forward and Phanuef was the best player on the ice for either team. Soumi didn't mount much of a challenge.

canucksfan
12-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Any thoughts on Shawn Belle would be greatly appreciated. I understand he was on the 3rd pairing so he may not have been noticed much.
Belle looked good. He made some good rushes. He was solid in the defensive zone.

-HIFK-
12-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Boy does our team miss players like Tuomo Ruutu and Joni Pitkänen...

As expected, Bergenheim and Filppula (not Fillipula) were the best Finns out there. It shows, that one of them plays in the NHL, and the other one is in a key role in a Finnish SM-League- team.

Lanny MacDonald*
12-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Great news on Phanuef. I hear the comparisons between Stevens and Pronger with his play in the WHL and it gets you excited. But to see him excel on the world stage, well that's huge. I'm glad that he's showing that he was worthy of the hype from the draft. So based on the comments from everyone I would assume that he has looked like the best from his draft class then?

leafaholix*
12-26-2003, 10:07 AM
thanksDidn't do much, but he's a fine skater.

King of Stankonia
12-26-2003, 10:09 AM
Great news on Phanuef. I hear the comparisons between Stevens and Pronger with his play in the WHL and it gets you excited. But to see him excel on the world stage, well that's huge. I'm glad that he's showing that he was worthy of the hype from the draft. So based on the comments from everyone I would assume that he has looked like the best from his draft class then?

It's tough to call right now after one game on the world stage, and I haven't seen Suter play. I had Phaneuf ahead of Coburn on my draft list, but wasn't surprised that Atlanta passed on him. Neufy just looked incredible though. Pierre MacGuire couldn't stop raving about him either.

Mizral
12-26-2003, 10:09 AM
Notes on players on the Canadian sides of things:

Mike Richards - In my opinion, the second best player on the ice. Richards was dominant on both ends, and showed smart, simple hockey and was the one guy who 'got things done' the most. Richards was crazy-good in his own zone and broke up play after play the Finnish forwards had. He even was blocking shots!

Dion Phaneuf - The best player on the ice. Perhaps the funniest moment of the game was when Peirre Maguire (colour commentator) just said, 'No way that's ever going to work (or something similar)' as a Finnish player tried to dangle through Phaneuf's legs. Dion was the dominant player on the ice tonight.

Ryan Getzlaf, Jeff Carter, Brent Burns - Pretty darn good, and they will score a goal against the Swiss, bank on it. They are so tough to handle. Each player there is more than capable on their own. In particular, I thought Carter and Burns looked to be dominant forces out there. Not to slag Getzlaf who was involved, but I've seen him have better games. Carter was just a force when he had the puck (which wasnt enough), and Burns showed great speed, size, and stickhandling.

Nigel Dawes - While I feel it's Richards and Stewart that make the line, Dawes compliments them well. He had one great shooting chance and got a 'freebie' assist on Phaneuf's goal, but nonetheless, he did a lot of things right tonight.

Stewart - Goal and an assist, and he was a TERROR out there. Honestly, there's nobody out there that makes me think 'Bertuzzi' more than Stewart. He is a MOOK out there. Defenders are honest to goodness TERRIFIED of the guy. The second he steps on the ice, the opposition is immediatly more tentative and give up the puck more. It's just awesome to witness him behind the net pushing aside defensemen. I want to see him against a bigger defense against maybe the Russians though.

Fleury - Not much of a test for him. I don't think he had a fantastic game tonight, to be honest, but he did what he needed to do to get the W

Talbot - Not a good game for him at all, he can do much better.

Paille - Most underrated player in this tournament, nevermind Canada! Paille is the face of team Canada, and you could really tell that he will do anything and everything to win. So happy to see him score, but he was involved everywhere tonight.

Seabrooke and Coburn - Can do much better.

Sidney Crosby - Good. I don't think Crosby will do too well this WJC's, but he showed some involvement.

Josh Georges - AWESOME! Really impressed me! Boy this kid is really good, very underrated considering last time I saw him.

Derek Meekes - Solid compliment to Phaneuf. Good skater.

That's all for now.

L3DZ3P
12-26-2003, 10:11 AM

As expected, Bergenheim and Filppula (not Fillipula) were the best Finns out there. It shows, that one of them plays in the NHL, and the other one is in a key role in a Finnish SM-League- team.
I think Rutuu and Piktanen are too old.But canada miss Bouchard,Horton,Staal,Bergeron and NASH so this is not an excuse.

canucksfan
12-26-2003, 10:12 AM
The best forward in today's game was Anthony Stewart. His forcheck created a lot of chances. He also got a goal and an assist.

The best defenceman was Phaneuf. This guy was huge in todays game. Great in his own end and he chipped in a goal.

leafaholix*
12-26-2003, 10:14 AM
I think Rutuu and Piktanen are too old.But canada miss Bouchard,Horton,Staal,Bergeron and NASH so this is not an excuse.
I don't think he meant it as an excuse.

canucksfan
12-26-2003, 10:14 AM
Ruutu and Piktanen are too old to play this year.

King of Stankonia
12-26-2003, 10:16 AM

Toivonen did a really good impression of Kari Lehtonen, one guy who I thought Finland would miss the most.

L3DZ3P
12-26-2003, 10:18 AM
I don't think he meant it as an excuse.
Oh ok i tought it was, well sorry.Some may think im crazy but i think Sidney Crosby was the best foward for Canada.He created a lot of chance for is teamate and he showed great move.I see alot of progression in his game.

canucksfan
12-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Oh ok i tought it was, well sorry.Some may think im crazy but i think Sidney Crosby was the best foward for Canada.He created a lot of chance for is teamate and he showed great move.I see alot of progression in his game.
I dont think he was the best forward but he did play a good game. He got better as the game went on and he should play better as the tournament goes on. He created a lot of chances especially in the third.

King of Stankonia
12-26-2003, 10:23 AM

Crosby certainly played well and made a couple of dazzling moves (especially coming out of the corner with a defender hanging off of him) and plays strong for a 16-year old. But I'd take Richards as the best forward for that game. Great on the forecheck and played really well overall in the offensive zone.

Faaxinho
12-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Something about Finnish players:
Bergenheim - best from Finland, was able to create some chances.
Filppula - Good game alongside Bergenheim, these two were clearly the best from Finland.
Toivonen - was unable to stop the goals, although second one was a bit easy. Didn't get much help from defence.

Other players worth of mention :
Tukonen - Good skating, but no real chances
Junnila - Replaced Piispanen in the third period. Skating was good although it was ineffective buzzing.
Marjamäki - Played quite physically, but in skills was no big number tonight

Strange :
Kalteva - looks like Aki Berg in the ice (huge, almost standing) and he has Aki's usual number : 5

-HIFK-
12-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Like I said, boy does our team miss players like Tuomo Ruutu and Joni Pitkänen.

I know all too well that they´re too old to play in these games anymore, and that´s exactly what worries me. Where are the next Ruutu and Pitkänen amongst Finnish juniors? Bergenheim can´t win these games alone.

Hockeyfan02
12-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Did Tim Brent play at all and if he did how did he look?

Nielson81
12-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Hannu Toivunen may turn out to be the best goalie in this tournament because he is going to be tested alot!!

Fleury isnt' going to get much work and i think Toivunen will out perform him.

Toivunen looks like a Luongo clone to me!

Very impressed!
Unbiased Canadian

Hossa
12-26-2003, 10:49 AM
A few random comments:

Stewart and Richards were the two best forwards on the ice by a significant margin. They controlled the play when on the ice, and worked the cycle which exhausted the Finnish defence. Stewart is intimidating just becuase of his size and speed combo, and was around the net all night. Richards did everything Stewart did but what also impressed me about him was his defensive play and penalty killing ability. Stewart creates space for Richards and more importantly Dawes, and that line was fantastic all game.

The Carter-Getzlaf-Burns line showed a lot, but they'll have to do more. Unlike Stewart and Richards, they were impressive without creating tons of scoring chances. A few too many little moves, but if they keep it a little more simple, they'll be dominant as well. Burns wasn't the player of the game, although he was impressive.

Crosby was as I expected. Not too much ice time (aka pressure), but he still produced offence. What continues to impress me is his lower body strength when driving to the net. Tambellini is incredibly fast, although I'm not sure how good his hands are. Kind of reminds me of Todd Marchant, not a bad thing though.

Paille was the best of the group of "checkers", if you want to call them that. He's quick, shifty and physical, and will score some big goals. Brent was more or less invisible and Colliton's a good PK guy, and was a better skater than I expected, but he's not much offensively. Talbot is a smart player who's value is not going to be seen on the scoresheet, although he didn't have his best game. Finally Dixon was solid, especially on the PK. He's smart and can create offence, but he seems a bit too tentative at this point. My bet is he'll be much better next year.

As for the defence, obviously Phaneuf was impressive, although I'd still take Coburn (and Suter) over him. What Phaneuf did though, was play relaxed, he wasn't running around and throwing himself out of position. He played with fire but he wasn't all over the place, soemthing he has clearly worked on.

Coburn and Seabrook are the best defensive pairing. Coburn's name was barely heard, but that's what you'd expect. He's smart, strong and makes a great first pass, and reminds me of some sort of morph between Wade Redden and Jiri Fischer.

Belle was ok, although I'm not sure what type of defenceman he wants to be. He seems more suited to being an offensive type with his skating and shot, but doesn't seem to be comfortable jumping up.

Gorges was impressive. He is doing what Ian White did last year on the powerplay, plus he's better defensively and is a bigger player (thus able to play a more regular shift) than White was last year. He still needs to get stronger, but will be fine in this tournament.

Meech was ok, although I think he's better off when concentrating on defence. He tried to skate the puck out of the zone every now and then, and it wasn't that succesful. Playing with Phaneuf, he needs to focus on defence, not try to produce offence.

I'd like to see Klein play more, and he probably will against teams like Russia and the United States because he provides more size than Gorges or Meech.

Good game, Canada was very good although Finland isn't the main competition this year.

John Flyers Fan
12-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Observations from todays game:

Finland: Bergenheim was impressive as he was last year. he was really the only Finn skater that stood out to me. He'll be a good one for the Isles.

Toivunen, he looks like a keeper for the Bruins. Game could easilty have been 5 or 6 zip.

Canada: Richards-Dawes & Stewart was the best line. Although Stewart had 2 points, I actually though Dawes & Richards were better.

For my money Richards was the best forward on the ice.

Carter, Getzlaf & Burns - started slowly but got better and better as the game went on. Used their size well. Carter didn't use his speed as much as I would have liked. Carter was just dominant on the face-off, I'm not sure if he lost one all night

Crosby - he did some nice things, strong on his legs and greta balance for someone his size.

Phaneuf - very impressive, as good as advertised.

xmonolithx
12-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Biggest problem TEam Finland had was the lack of good puck moving d-man. Last year the had Pitkänen who could either skate or pass the forward in to good scoring chance but this year there's none. Canada's big forwards were able to get lots of pressure because of this and especially the first goal was a direct result of this.

Congratulations to Team Canada, I hope Team Finland does better against Czechs.

Btw, very physical 1st period, I was glad to see that Finland matched Canada very well physically giving back everything that Canada throwed at them. If we can play this 'Canadian' style game against the rest of team in our group, I think we're going to be just fine.

The Finns played the "Canadian style" for 1 period. Their defence were running scared after the first goal. No mental toughness whatsoever. They were obviously bailing out on the Can forecheckers. Richards beats 2 Finns easily for the puck behind the net!!! 14 shots?! YIKES! Better hope the Czech team gets the flu like St Louis did against Van City in the playoffs last year. Czech-Canada game will probably be the best round robin game if the Americans don't stay outa the box vs the Russians. Americans must have mailed that ex game in. Awful performance by the Fins.

billabong55
12-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Congratulations to Team Canada on a solid start. As the game went on, you could see the players becoming more used to the ice, and each other.

I thought the whole team played well, considering it was their first game. Some players were more noticable than others, but I don't think anyone had a horrible game.

As the game went on you could notice Crosby getting stronger, and in the third period I think he had 3 good scoring chances. I'm not really setting goals for him point wise. I think he's capable of putting up a lot of points in the tournament, but he's only 16 so I won't be disappointed if he doesn't.

I was most impressed by Stewart, Richards and Dawes, especially Stewart. He's so strong and able to create room out there, and it was nice to see that line get a goal.

As for Fleury, he didn't face many shots, but he made the saves he needed to and that's all we can ask. I think we all know what he's capable of, so I have no worries where he's concerned.

It was a fun game to watch and I can't wait til Sunday.

Epsilon
12-26-2003, 11:46 AM
I'll try to catch a replay of this game in a little bit. Sounds like the top line for Canada put in a really strong performance.

I'm already sick of Pierre McGuire just reading recaps of his commentary on here. :joker:

teme
12-26-2003, 11:52 AM
Random musing, from Finn side.
The guys looked nervous. Too tentative on forecheck, little point in dumping if you are not going to chase. Too afraid of penalties, lay the timber forgodsake, our PK is good and the ref was letting a lot slide. Made the Stewart line look like Legion of Doom. Too much hurry in moving the puck, they weren't that out of space. Filppula was good, as was Bergenheim and Immonen too. Piispanen was awful in own end, he is not on the team to play D, move him to wing already. Tukonen skates and holds the puck like star, but he needs to shoot it or loan it instead of trying to beat the other team one-on-one. Toivonen was excellent, as expected.

Random notes on Canada: absolutely owned the Finns on faceoffs. Very strong play deep on both ends. OTOH, you're going to get your ass kicked against Czechs or Russians standing around like that, Finns basicly walked through neutral zone and I wonder what Hudler and guys can do with space like that. (BTW, did they show his goal against Ukraine on TSN?) Also, who is the go to guy offencively? Crosby?

Anyway, congrats to our friends on the other side of the pond, with Fleury and those dmen you'll go far.

cheers,
teme

Stock Rocks
12-26-2003, 11:56 AM
This kid is awesome!

I've seen him several times in Providence this season, including his shutout over Lowell, so I'm not surprised he looked good against Canada. He just gets up for big games...

I'm really glad to hear so many noticing what an excellent goalie he is. Because of all the pre-draft hype that Deslauriers and Stephan got, the Bruins were ridiculed by the "experts" (rolleye guy) when they grabbed Toivonen ahead of those two in Toronto, but -shock- it now looks like the B's might have known what they were doing.

Anyway- what makes Toivonen so good is that he has it all- size, athleticism, technique and a very good head for both the game and mental toughness to overcome adversity. He's going to be a very good player for the Bruins, and I'm glad to see him doing well in front of his hometown fans.

If you want to read more about him, go over to:

www.hockeyjournal.com

Kirk Leudeke has written a very detailed and insightful article on him. And, I would also point out that when the Bruins picked Hannu, he was one of the few writers who didn't lambaste the team for "reaching" as many others did.

icarus
12-26-2003, 12:09 PM
Dion Phaneuf - The best player on the ice. Perhaps the funniest moment of the game was when Peirre Maguire (colour commentator) just said, 'No way that's ever going to work (or something similar)' as a Finnish player tried to dangle through Phaneuf's legs. Dion was the dominant player on the ice tonight.

Agreed. I forget what exactly he said but it was pretty funny.

Mizral
12-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Random notes on Canada: absolutely owned the Finns on faceoffs. Very strong play deep on both ends. OTOH, you're going to get your ass kicked against Czechs or Russians standing around like that, Finns basicly walked through neutral zone and I wonder what Hudler and guys can do with space like that. (BTW, did they show his goal against Ukraine on TSN?) Also, who is the go to guy offencively? Crosby?

Anyway, congrats to our friends on the other side of the pond, with Fleury and those dmen you'll go far.

cheers,
teme

A note on the Czechs,

I still think they are the most overrated team in the tournament this year. Sure, they can beat a small, soft, and untalented bunch in the Ukraine, but how are they going to answer the massive forwards and defensemen of the Canadians? Getzlaf/Carter/Burns, I predict, will just destroy the Czechs up ice, and Phaneuf should be pounding them in our zone.

Of the teams in the WJC, only the Russians and the Americans scare me, as a Team Canada fan.

The go to guy offensivly is probobly either Getzlaf, Carter, or Burns. Crosby is way down the list. Getzlaf is a straight away 'to the net' forward with great size and speed. Carter is more of a 'Joe Thornton'-like player, but shoots a lot more. Burns is a real dynamite player with the puck, and is similar to Getzlaf, though I think he's even better. All three of these guys I'd take over any Czech forward in this tournament, simply because they not only combine smooth offensive ability, but grinding physicality that guys like Hudler simply do not have.

kacz
12-26-2003, 01:24 PM
The Czech's may not be the best team in the tournament, but the game between them and Canada will definitly be close. The offence of the Czech's is very explosive leading the way is Jiri Hudler, Tomas Fleischmann and Rostislav Olesz. But your right about Canada's forwards and they should be able to get through the Czech's defence which lacks some depth. It will intersting to see how Schwarz will handle Canada's presuit to the net...

I expect a score around 6-4 Canada...

Brock
12-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Outstanding and very impressive game for Canada.

I won't really say anything detailed because most of the posters here have already said everything.

The only thing I'll rehash is that after this tournament, Mike Richards is going to get a lot more exposure as a prospect. He's so underrated, but as you can see, he does pretty much everything right and he's got good offensive skills to boot.

ZombieMatt
12-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Reading most of the reviews, people are saying Bergenheim had a strong game...I thought he played absolutely atrocious. He couldn't get a thing done at all it seemed, but that's just me. I think maybe I only noticed when he failed to do something.

As a note in general, the Finns defencemen were atrocious. As a group, they seemed completely unable to get around the fore checkers, or clear the puck from the zone. I don't know how many times a Canadian got a stick on a clearing attempt before the puck got to the blueline.

Toivannen played amazing, and really opened my eyes to him.

I found it a pretty entertaining game, a good showing by both teams I felt...I think that both squads played fairly well. I am not discounting the Finns as having an outside shot at medalling either.

teme
12-26-2003, 02:37 PM
A note on the Czechs,

I still think they are the most overrated team in the tournament this year. Sure, they can beat a small, soft, and untalented bunch in the Ukraine, but how are they going to answer the massive forwards and defensemen of the Canadians? Getzlaf/Carter/Burns, I predict, will just destroy the Czechs up ice, and Phaneuf should be pounding them in our zone.

What I was trying say is that unlike Finns, Czechs have enough skill in their roster this year to convert on the chances they get. Sure Canada dominated for some parts of the game but Finns also had their breaks, and would've had more if it wasn't for sloppy opening passes. A more skilled team would've made this a very close game.

Year after year, it seems that countries find the same ways to self destruct. Partly due to limited supply of high skill players, partly due to incistence on playing more polished two-way players, Finns have trouble scoring. Russians field twenty guys trying to stick handle through the other team. Problem with Canada, and to lesser extent US too, is that North American players tend to have major trouble with fast transition game on international ice and this years entry seems to be no exception.

Don't get me wrong, after Finns I'm rooting for Canada, it's just that you can't allow Czechs or Russians to pick up full speed with the puck at neutral ice like that.

teme
12-26-2003, 02:51 PM
One more thing. More than Pitkänen we miss kind of solid unsceptacular dmen like Seikola and Kukkonen, same story last year. I don't know what happened, we used to have a steady supply. As for this years team, they need to find some scoring. Sure, they are less than ideal all around players but we got to get something out of Tukonen, Piispanen and/or Junnila. Couple relatively easy games next, time to experiment. That, and play Kalteva, Kantee, Korpikari and Lepistö as much as possible. (We're playins seven dmen?! We got maybe three!!!)

Jamie
12-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Thanks everybody for the game reports. Hossa and Mizral those were both great write-up's, thank you. For the first time since I can remember, I will not be able to watch game's religiously, watching every game they show on TV, as I do not have cable telvision this year.

So reading all these reports are great, and good to see Canada win, just sad I couldn't watch it:(

Oh well, thanks again everybody who posted here.

Rob
12-26-2003, 09:41 PM
For Canadians outside the country, we can listen to the games at www.team990.com

Pekka Lampinen
12-26-2003, 11:46 PM
The first period was a decent performance by Finland and the mistakes by Canada's defence allowed them to generate some scoring opportunities, too bad Lepistö and Bergenheim couldn't capitalize. The Finns pushed the opposing forwards to the corners, but Phaneuf's goal showed what would happen more often later: even though the Canadians couldn't just leave the corners and boards with the puck, they would still be strong enough wrestlers to send the puck bouncing to the slot. That together with (certain) Finnish defensemen's unwillingness to defend the crease and that Toivonen spat most of the shots back cost Finland the game.

At the other end of the rink things changed during the first intermission too. Canada suddenly had a sturdy square of defenders in their zone and as Finland's passing was atrocious, the attempts at heroism were easily thwarted. Don't even get me started about line cohesion. Canada didn't even have to dominate, they would've taken the points with just counterattacks.

Finland was obviously expecting a bombardment similar to last year judging by their eagerness to hit in the beginning of the game. When Canada settled with "invisible" physical dominance, the Finns would cool down too.

Fleury looks more experienced than last year and played almost flawless, except that he needed a lot of luck to save him on half a dozen occasions.

Jalasvaara, Varakas and Salmela are trying to do what Jääskeläinen, Timonen and Immonen did last year: Ruin the tournament for the team. Like Teme said, Finland should stick with Lepistö, Kalteva, Korpikari and Kantee in the defense until they die of exhaustion. Canada seemed to do fine with just Coburn, Phaneuf and Meech. Salmela's performance was one of the worst I've seen by any skater at any level. Unfortunately, I don't think Aravirta has the heart to scratch him. Canada has never had and will never had a team so bad (read: average) that they couldn't score with opportunities like those.

Petrell-Piispanen-Tukonen was ineffective, even more so when Tukonen and the team's worst forward, Oksa, swapped lines. What's more, I don't think Töykkälä, Immonen and Marjamäki even saw each other on the ice.

Filppula, by the way, showed flashes of absolute brilliance. The worst hockey player in existence who can match his stickhandling is Jesse Niinimäki, and the twig he used to be was one of the best if not the best Finn in the corners.

chicpea*
12-27-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm already sick of Pierre McGuire just reading recaps of his commentary on here. :joker:
You are too right. At least he didn't confuse WWF and hockey today as he often does in his other broadcasts, but he was still almost annoying enough to make me turn off the sound on my favourite tourney of the year. How I wish it were Bob Cole and Harry Neale instead. :(
Oh well, at least we weren't subjected to 'monster' performers...

Epsilon
12-27-2003, 12:20 AM
You are too right. At least he didn't confuse WWF and hockey today as he often does in his other broadcasts, but he was still almost annoying enough to make me turn off the sound on my favourite tourney of the year. How I wish it were Bob Cole and Harry Neale instead. :(
Oh well, at least we weren't subjected to 'monster' performers...

Frankly I'm surprised we weren't, although McGuire would probably just make Phaneuf the monster after every period for the entire tournament, so perhaps they just decided to save time and leave it out.

teme
12-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Hate to knock on the kid because he at least seems to be trying, but Jalasvaara is just plain useless on both ends (does that make him a two-way player?) Aravirta likes to play everybody, but he is not blind and I hope by the quarter finals (assuming we make them) he'll shorten the bench. BTW, I thought the top two lines were supposed to be Piiispanen - Filppula - Bergenheim and Marjamäki - Immonen - Tukonen, what happened? Scorer, grinder, playmaker has worked for decades. If Piispanen or Tukonen can't score, try Nokelainen or Junnila (sure he is a midget, but it doesn't really matter that much on this level.) I'd also like to see four forwards with Lepistö on PP.

eh
12-27-2003, 05:07 AM
What a terrible effort by Team Finland. The first period was ok, they still had the crowd with them and even a couple of scoring chances. The goal was result of too many mistakes in one shift: sloppy play in the corner, sloppy attempt of icing the puck, sloppy turnover behind the net, sloppy marking, ... There's no way a team like Canada wouldn't penalize for that amount of mistakes.

The same goes for all the Canadian goals. They had some scoring chances which resulted from brilliant plays, but all the goals were caused by sloppy/crappy play of Team Finland. With a little worse luck and goaltending, it could've been much worse.

The team doesn't seem to have one defenseman who could actually give that first pass tape-to-tape and early enough. How many well organized attacks did Team Finland have in the whole game, 5-on-5 (not that the powerplay was anything to write home about). None that I can remember.

The Canadian defense was great. They always had one guy below the puck and their physical superiority forced the Finns to dump the puck on the blueline almost every time. They rarely got away with the puck from the corners, so it wasn't much use chasing it after the dump.

It also seemed that not one of the Finnish wingers was skillful enough to catch a long, difficult pass. Bergenheim lost a couple 1-on-1, 2-on-1 or 2-on-2 opportunities because he just couldn't handle the puck, Tukonen wasn't much better.

After seeing the skill level of the Czech team (albeit against an incompetent opponent), it's easy to predict a long and a tough evening for the little lions on Sunday. They'll have to be different team altogether if they want to even progress from the group stage.

Crosbyfan
12-27-2003, 06:57 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I'm already sick of Pierre McGuire just reading recaps of his commentary on here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's easy to be critical but I had a hard time believing what I was hearing. Dion Phaneuf played a great game and didn't need his #1 fan blurting out silly comments on his behalf while doing the colour commentary.

Slay
12-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Not sure how this roster of Finnish team differs from 4 nations tourney that took place in Tyumen in September but Finnish squad didn't look good there either http://www.russianprospects.com/public/tournament.php?tour_id=19
So not a big surprise of such Canada's victory.

Upchuck19
12-27-2003, 11:24 AM
I just found this site and am very impressed with all the Finland fans english and quality of writing. Glad to hear from all across the pond.

Raimo Sillanpää
12-28-2003, 03:29 AM

cheers,
teme

About faceoffs, I don't know what it is but the way I remember it, Finland always get's owned in face-offs.. Always, WC's, Olympics, Juniors, you name it.. In Salt Lake only Helminen had a win-loss % of better than 50% in face-offs, in the crucial quarter final against Canada, when the game was 2-1 and the last 12 or so minutes left, from then on Canada won every single face-off to the end of the game, and we never had a chance to win it (coudn't win a face-off in the offensive zone and thus put pressure, but rather lose the puck and work for it for a whole minute to get it while the clock is ticking..)

I don't know, guess we need to send our coaches to some workshop in Canada to learn how to teach face-offs.. we always lose them, and it sucks big time..

TK79
12-29-2003, 03:50 AM
Horrible game by team Finland.Forwards couldn't execute simple passes, Defenseman constantly coughed up the puck and couldn't clear the Canadians from the front of the net.In the offensive zone nobody seemed willing to go to the net.Finland should have scored at least once (Lepistö hit the post, Fleury fumbled a shot that barely missed the net and Filppula somehow managed to miss a open net).Canada played a very sound defensive game, but I agree with Laituri that this is the most mediocre Canadian WJC team I've seen in several years. The thing that stood out to me was the lack of skill and creativety among the forwards aside from Crosby.The reason they won this game was because they were psycically superior.I'm not saying team Finland is more skilled, which it clearly isn't, but Canada will be in trouble against an Ovechin led Russia.

Jussi
12-29-2003, 07:27 AM
About faceoffs, I don't know what it is but the way I remember it, Finland always get's owned in face-offs.. Always, WC's, Olympics, Juniors, you name it.. In Salt Lake only Helminen had a win-loss % of better than 50% in face-offs, in the crucial quarter final against Canada, when the game was 2-1 and the last 12 or so minutes left, from then on Canada won every single face-off to the end of the game, and we never had a chance to win it (coudn't win a face-off in the offensive zone and thus put pressure, but rather lose the puck and work for it for a whole minute to get it while the clock is ticking..)

I don't know, guess we need to send our coaches to some workshop in Canada to learn how to teach face-offs.. we always lose them, and it sucks big time..

They must feed their kids something extra. Even Hayley Wickenheiser was dominating the face off circle when she played here. :confused: