Jarmo Jokila, Jesse Joensuu, Joni Finell and Teemu Laasko...

Nielson81
01-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey Guys,

I broadcasted a game today at the Viking cup for the finnish squad and all 4 players looked really good. The Finns were shutout by an older squad from the USA.

Also goatender Aleksis Alhqvist played well.

As for Joensuu I can see what the hype is about, he is the the 2nd biggest forward on the finnish squad and he just turned 16, he is destined to be a high draft pick in 2006.

Jarmo Jokila who I read before the tournament is the most offesnively gifgted player in TPS Turku system since Saku plays alot like Mr Koivu. Just some of the moves he makes and the way he controls the play on the powerplay, I'm sure this kid will eventually get a shot, I think he is draft eligible this year and I would be surprised if he isn't taken.

Joni Pinell, my color man John Short abosultely loved this kid. The is pest with some offensive ability and a couple good scoring chances but for the most part just made noise by hitting everything that moved.

And Teemu Laakso, the 16 year old defensement scored twice the teams first game of the tournament and I think he may also have an NHL career in his future.

Unbiased Canadian
anysportanytime.com

Flonaldo
01-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Anything stick in your mind about Jari Sailio and/or Petteri Wirtanen?

Sampe
01-02-2004, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the reports! Is Mikko Alikoski playing for the team? Based on what I've heard he should be very similar to Jarmo Jokila, very small and skilled and a good playmaker.

Nielson81
01-02-2004, 06:23 AM
To answer both of your questions thing that stick out in my mind abotu Sailio is that he likes to go into the corners and crash and bang also play with Jokila so he must have some finishing ability. Wiirtinanen is very good on the faceoffs but did't show much offensively. And Alikoski works very hard and had a couple of good scoring chances. All in all I really like the finns. They play Switzerland in 3 hours and it should be the best game of the quarterfinals.

Anyway I have to head to camrose, if you are interested the game starts at 1 PM eastern time on anysportanytime.com

Unbiased Canadian

Spiffy
01-02-2004, 07:00 AM
To answer both of your questions thing that stick out in my mind abotu Sailio is that he likes to go into the corners and crash and bang also play with Jokila so he must have some finishing ability. Wiirtinanen is very good on the faceoffs but did't show much offensively. And Alikoski works very hard and had a couple of good scoring chances. All in all I really like the finns. They play Switzerland in 3 hours and it should be the best game of the quarterfinals.

Anyway I have to head to camrose, if you are interested the game starts at 1 PM eastern time on anysportanytime.com

Unbiased Canadian
Someone once compared Wirtanen to a young Juha Ylönen (former NHLer), what do you think of that comparison?

BTW good job on the broadcasts, I have listened to a couple of them from the archive.