Warren Godfrey

Gerry McNeil
Don Simmons
Bert Lindsay

VanIslander
07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
the number four seed

PP1: Gordie Roberts, Art Chapman, Corb Denneny, Gilles Marotte, Jeff Brown
PP2: Ed Sandford, Paul Ronty, Wally Hergesheimer, Battleship Leduc, Bucko McDonald

PK1: Dick Irvin Sr., Frank Finnigan, Gilles Marotte, Bucko McDonald
PK2: Jack Adams, Rusty Crawford, Bob Plager, Bob Turner

vs.

The number five seed

PP1: Murray Oliver, Don Raleigh, Andy Hebenton, Fred Stanfield, Doug Barkley
PP2: Danny Lewicki, Mike Walton, Leo Labine, Bobby Schmautz, Frank Patrick

PK1: Dan Maloney, Red Sullivan, Glen Harmon, Doug Barkley
PK2: Murray Oliver, Mush March, Paull Shmyr, Frank Patrick

pappyline
07-21-2007, 06:28 AM
the number four seed

PP1: Gordie Roberts, Art Chapman, Corb Denneny, Gilles Marotte, Jeff Brown
PP2: Ed Sandford, Paul Ronty, Wally Hergesheimer, Battleship Leduc, Bucko McDonald

PK1: Dick Irvin Sr., Frank Finnigan, Gilles Marotte, Bucko McDonald
PK2: Jack Adams, Rusty Crawford, Bob Plager, Bob Turner

vs.

The number five seed

PP1: Murray Oliver, Fred Stanfield, Andy Hebenton, Glen Harmon, Doug Barkley
PP2: Danny Lewicki, Mike Walton, Leo Labine, Bobby Schmautz, Frank Patrick

PK1: Dan Maloney, Red Sullivan, Glen Harmon, Doug Barkley
PK2: Murray Oliver, Mush March, Paull Shmyr, Frank Patrick
I want to change Whitby's PP1. Moving Stanfield from center to the point replacing Harmon & move Don Raleigh into the centre position. Stanfield actually played the point with Orr on the great Bruin teams of the early 70's.

VanIslander
07-22-2007, 05:22 PM
everyone send your votes to BM67

ck26
07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
Wasn't Gordie Roberts a defenseman?

MXD
07-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Wasn't Gordie Roberts a defenseman?

There are two Gordie Roberts... The first was a kind of a proto-PF that played in the '20, if my memory serves me right. We haven't drafted this one.

The second is a defensemen that played in the 80ies, and a few years in the 90ies, winning two SC's with the Penguins along the way. We drafted this one.

ck26
07-22-2007, 08:10 PM
There are two Gordie Roberts... The first was a kind of a proto-PF that played in the '20, if my memory serves me right. We haven't drafted this one.

The second is a defensemen that played in the 80ies, and a few years in the 90ies, winning two SC's with the Penguins along the way. We drafted this one.
:shakehead

There should be rules about how many Canadians can be named Gordie ...

Never heard of the old one. Couldn't figure out why the new one was a first-line winger.

Hockey Outsider
07-22-2007, 10:01 PM
- Quebec has an advantage behind the bench with Boucher. Actually, Boucher and Pilous have similar playoff records but Boucher was twice an all-star coach and has a much

- McNeil is probably the best goalie in the draft. Maniago/Forbes is a solid tandem but it will be hard for them to match McNeil's high level of play.

- Two great bluelines. I'd say Quebec is a bit better in purely defensive ability (Leduc, Turner, Plager, Marotte). However, Whitby's defensemen are tougher and more intimidating (Shmyr, Fontinato), and Patrick is potentially the best rusher in the series.

- Quebec has more explosive forwards (Denneny, Chapman, Finnigan and Irvin have all had at least one outstanding year offensively) but Whitby has a significant advantage at left wing with Oliver, Lewicki and Thompson.

If Boucher can figure out how to beat McNeil, Quebec wins. If McNeil's on top of his game, Whitby will win a low-scoring.

pitseleh
07-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry I haven't been around to provide any discussion, I've been pretty busy this weekend.

A couple of advantages I see for Quebec:

Defensive defensemen - Whitby has some good puck rushers and some good tough guys, but I don't think they have the same level of defensive ability on their blueline. McDonald and Marotte gives us a physical and defensively aware top-pairing, and are at another level compared to Whitby's purely defensive pairing (Reise Sr. and Fontinato). I think this edge will be our key to negating the edge that Whitby has in goal (by allowing fewer quality scoring chances).

Scoring depth - After our respective top lines, Whitby's lineup doesn't have the same level of top-end scoring that our lineup provides. Ronty, Hergesheimer, Hay, and Adams have multiple seasons where they finished among the top-10 scorers in the NHL (in either points or goals). Irvin, Finnigan, Oliver and Sandford also had very strong scoring seasons. Sandford also brings a retroactive Conn Smythe (for what it's worth).

Checking line - In addition to our defense, we feel that we have the superior checking line in Crawford-Irvin Sr.-Finnigan, that will be responsible for shutting down Whitby's top line. Finnigan is one of the, if not the, best defensive forward in the draft, and Crawford and Irvin Sr. were amongst the best of their respective eras.

pappyline
07-23-2007, 07:36 AM
A few comments.

Actually Quebec was my favorite team in the draft So I am not crazy about playing them in the first round. However, I am confident that I have the lineup to beat them.I focused on original six players figuring if you could keep a regular position in that era you had to be pretty good.

Goal:Mcneil is the best in the draft and gives me a big edge. He had the experience of playing in 3 traight Cup finals, winning one.

Defense: quebec has some pretty good defensive defensemen but I think Whitby still has the overall edge as my guys can go both ways. In particular, I think Barkley & Shymr are underrated. Barkley because of a career ending eye injury just as he was hitting his peak, Shymr due to having is best years in the WHA. Snymr was actually a late cut from Team Canada 1976. Both Barkley & Shmyr bring great leadership & defensive skills to the table.

Forwards; quebec has some great ones but so does Whitby with a lineup full of great 2 way players.Oliver & hebenton had five 20 goal seasons each.Walton had 6 in the NHL plus some great WHA seasons. stanfield, scmautz & Thompson had seven 20 plus seasons (Thompson had a high of 43). Even Maloney had 3 twenty plus seasons though he was known more for his checking & fighting. The checking line of Maloney, Sullivan & March should be able to control Quebec's top line. Labine adds a lot of toughness to the second line & MVP Oliver is one of the best 2 way players in the draft.

BM67
07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
A classic that saw the series go to OT, the fourth of the series, of the seventh game. Whitby withstood an early flurry in OT by Quebec, to see little Mush March score his second OT goal of the series and to send the Dunlops through to the second round.

pitseleh
07-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Congrats pappy. Whitby would have been my top regular season team had they not lost McNeil, but with him in net they're going to be tough to beat. I definitely don't feel bad taking them to OT of the 7th game.

Hockey Outsider
07-26-2007, 11:02 PM
It's a shame that one of these teams had to lose in the first round. I had them ranked #1 and #2 in the league.

pappyline
07-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Pit, Congrats on a well fought series. I was alarmed when I had to face you in the first round as I had you ranked first in the reg season. McNeil was probably the key to my win. i hope he plays as well in the next round.