Shame on USA networks...

Baron Von Shark
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Shame on USA networks for not airing this championship game. I don't know how TV scheduling works, but couldn't they have alotted a time slot so that should they US team make it to the finals, at least air one friggin game? Those boneheads at ESPN play cheerleading championships, but they ignore the WJCs. (Like I said, I'm not even saying they should have aired multiple games, but they should've planned for an 'if USA makes it to the finals' scenario.)

chicpea*
01-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Shame on USA networks for not airing this championship game. I don't know how TV scheduling works, but couldn't they have alotted a time slot so that should they US team make it to the finals, at least air one friggin game? Those boneheads at ESPN play cheerleading championships, but they ignore the WJCs. (Like I said, I'm not even saying they should have aired multiple games, but they should've planned for an 'if USA makes it to the finals' scenario.)

Maybe the WJCs aren't "realityTV" enough for american audiences?
They should ask Olesz about that.

Mr. Canucklehead
01-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Oy, that sucks for the US if they're not airing the games. Football on the other hand?

~Canucklehead~

The Rage
01-04-2004, 10:16 PM

I can understand airing more popular sports over hockey, but when they have billiard championships, spelling bee's and so on on these networks, I'm surprised they can't make room for this.

Jerome Bechard
01-04-2004, 10:20 PM

Anyone with a Direct TV dish, the gold medal game is on the nhl channel(747 for me)

Jeff Shafer
01-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Anyone with a Direct TV dish, the gold medal game is on the nhl channel(747 for me)
me too, guys do yourself a favor and get Directv it's worth it

Team_Spirit
01-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Oy, that sucks for the US if they're not airing the games. Football on the other hand?

~Canucklehead~

They should be able to catch a couple of High school playoffs game's :D

nyr5186
01-05-2004, 04:15 AM
I can understand airing more popular sports over hockey, but when they have billiard championships, spelling bee's and so on on these networks, I'm surprised they can't make room for this.

I'd love to see ESPN show at least the final. But the sad thing is billiards and spelling bee would probably get a higher rating than any hockey game in the U.S., let alone a junior hockey game. They might mention the game on sportcenter, but most people wouldnt even know there was a junior tournament going on, let alone take time out of a back-to-work Monday to sit down and watch the game.

tom_servo
01-05-2004, 04:16 AM

~Canucklehead~

Football, the most popular sport in the country?

I'd say 99.9% of the American population don't know the WJCs exist.

Rabid Ranger
01-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Football, the most popular sport in the country?

I'd say 99.9% of the American population don't know the WJCs exist.

What always kills me about threads like this is they tend to be started by Canadians, NOT Americans. We get it guys, you feel bad for us..... :cry: Any self respecting hockey fan in this country should have satellite, if you do all of this moot. If you don't, well..........

kov
01-05-2004, 04:48 AM
I imagine there are people out there living in apartment buildings that won't allow you to install a dish. Still other people live in urban areas where they don't have the right exposure to receive signals. Just because someone doesn't have a dish doesn't mean they haven't tried.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that if they were a real hockey fan they'd move? ;)

Legionnaire
01-05-2004, 05:55 AM
The real question is, will they show the World Championships this summer?

And Rabid Ranger is right, if you are a hockey fan in the US a satellite dish is imperitive

Rabid Ranger
01-05-2004, 05:58 AM

And Rabid Ranger is right, if you are a hockey fan in the US a satellite dish is imperitive

ESPN and ESPN 2 are airing the World Cup of Hockey.

The Rage
01-05-2004, 06:01 AM
I imagine there are people out there living in apartment buildings that won't allow you to install a dish. Still other people live in urban areas where they don't have the right exposure to receive signals. Just because someone doesn't have a dish doesn't mean they haven't tried.

Or perhaps you're suggesting that if they were a real hockey fan they'd move? ;)

Can't they get digital cable? I don't know much about these types of things (I stick to my regular cable) but wouldn't that work?

Jeff Shafer
01-05-2004, 06:20 AM

Yes I suggest that! :lol: I mean come on guys if you can't get the game try and go to a bar that has the Center Ice Package.

rwinger
01-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Can anyone give me the channel number on which this game will be shown on Dish Network w/Center Ice? My program guide does not list this game at all.

Thanks

Jeff Shafer
01-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Can't they get digital cable? I don't know much about these types of things (I stick to my regular cable) but wouldn't that work?

It would work if they bought the NHL Center package that the digital cable provides. I'm pretty sure it's the same price to buy it off digital cable as it is to get it off directv. Cause when I was living in an apartment when my house was getting built I couldn't have a dish so I had to get digital cable and I got the package and saw the games just fine.

Jeff Shafer
01-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Can anyone give me the channel number on which this game will be shown on Dish Network w/Center Ice? My program guide does not list this game at all.

Thanks

DirecTV channel 747

rwinger
01-05-2004, 06:26 AM
DirecTV channel 747

Thanks but I wanted for the Dish Network not Directv.

ceber
01-05-2004, 06:27 AM
I'm not so surprised it's not televised nationally on ESPN2 or an alternate.. they just don't care much. What chaps me is that there aren't any regional networks covering it. FSN North, for example. I mean, I can see some network meathead thinking cheerleading or something might get more viewers nationally speaking, but I bet a lot of people in MN/ND/WI/MI (and the Northeast, too) would tune in if they could.

Jeff Shafer
01-05-2004, 06:30 AM
I'm not so surprised it's not televised nationally on ESPN2 or an alternate.. they just don't care much. What chaps me is that there aren't any regional networks covering it. FSN North, for example. I mean, I can see some network meathead thinking cheerleading or something might get more viewers nationally speaking, but I bet a lot of people in MN/ND/WI/MI (and the Northeast, too) would tune in if they could.

agreed

Jeff Shafer
01-05-2004, 06:31 AM

sorry man the best thing I can tell you too is to keep it on the channels that hockey is usually on and you might find it....

ceber
01-05-2004, 06:33 AM

I'd heard that it wasn't on one of the regular center ice channels on Dish, but on one of the ppv sports ones. Just something I'd heard, could be wrong.

Dr Love
01-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Shame on USA Networks? How about a little reality? It wouldn't pull a 1.0 rating in the US. The WJC is a total niche market in the US. The NHL itself doesn't draw, kids that the public has never heard of would draw even less.

EDIT: one other thing. Most of us are at work right now, so we couldn't watch it if we wanted to.

Mr_Hockeytown19
01-05-2004, 11:56 AM
and get a ******** of names on it to show espn the wjc is of interest to usa fans.every game SHOULD be aired,if lebron gets a high school game on tv,the wjc are more worthy.anyone agreeing with me lets set it up. :dunno: :)

kings13
01-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Next year would be the perfect time to give the Juniors a shot on national TV or larger regional coverage. It's just to easy to pitch.

"Watch team USA defend its gold at home in Grand Forks, North Dakota." You can sell almost anything in the states if you give it enough national flavor.

Too bad it's prime Bowl season and will never happen :cry:

chicpea*
01-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Too bad it's prime Bowl season and will never happen :cry:

Are you serious! I never thought of that but you may be right. That would really suck for you guys.

Rob
01-05-2004, 09:57 PM
Next year would be the perfect time to give the Juniors a shot on national TV or larger regional coverage. It's just to easy to pitch.

"Watch team USA defend its gold at home in Grand Forks, North Dakota." You can sell almost anything in the states if you give it enough national flavor.

There might be something else working in their favor. The NHL will probably be lockedout. If the games are to be televised in the US it has to be next years tournament. Everything is there. Home ice, a lack of hockey on TV, and they will be defending champs.

Of course Grand Forks, ND isn't exactly a media hotbed. :joker:

Zine
01-05-2004, 10:37 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
OMG!!! They're actually showing the game highlights on ESPN News.
That and on NHL Tonight.

southpaw
01-05-2004, 11:33 PM
You guys have to realize that ESPN is a business, not some TV station there to show whatever people say they want. It costs a lot of money to buy the rights for the WJC tournament, even for one game. In canada, its an easy decision to buy the rights, because there is such a wide audience. However, in the US, even in some of the northern parts (NE and NW), hockey is not that big of a thing. There are pockets throughout the country (MN, Michigan) however that isn't enough to warrant paying a ton of money to buy the rights.

It is tough to sell advertising to companies, when you can't promise them a lot of viewers. It definitely isn't a sound business decision to spend more money than you are going to make, just to please a small amount of fans. Those fans are still going to watch ESPN, because its the only game out there.

With the Billiard, cheerleading and spelling bee competitions, ESPN needs to fill time. They can pay cheap ass money, gain a larger market audience and sell some specific advertising, or they can run re-runs that people will be bored of and most like won't get any additional viewership. Its all about money, if you think differently, then you'll be waiting for the WJC to be aired for a while.

RI Canuck
01-06-2004, 11:32 AM

ESPN said that they would show the games in August but I doubt it because they also said they would show games every Thrusday night and there has not one been any on Thursdays for three weeks now.
They don't even put hockey on Sportscenter anymore.

ceber
01-06-2004, 11:38 AM
You guys have to realize that ESPN is a business, not some TV station there to show whatever people say they want. It costs a lot of money to buy the rights for the WJC tournament, even for one game. In canada, its an easy decision to buy the rights, because there is such a wide audience. However, in the US, even in some of the northern parts (NE and NW), hockey is not that big of a thing. There are pockets throughout the country (MN, Michigan) however that isn't enough to warrant paying a ton of money to buy the rights.

Makes sense, but I've always wondered this:

money earned by selling rights to US broadcast cheaply enough so a network will buy them: $small amount

money earned by asking so much for US broadcast rights than no network buys them: $0

Doesn't it make sense to sell the rights at a price you can get?

Mr_Hockeytown19
01-06-2004, 01:12 PM

It is tough to sell advertising to companies, when you can't promise them a lot of viewers. It definitely isn't a sound business decision to spend more money than you are going to make, just to please a small amount of fans. Those fans are still going to watch ESPN, because its the only game out there.

With the Billiard, cheerleading and spelling bee competitions, ESPN needs to fill time. They can pay cheap ass money, gain a larger market audience and sell some specific advertising, or they can run re-runs that people will be bored of and most like won't get any additional viewership. Its all about money, if you think differently, then you'll be waiting for the WJC to be aired for a while.

given the fact espn airs such inane shows as playmakers,worlds strongest man,x-games,womens basketball,pti,6 hours of the SAME sports center-i would think their costs are already pretty low not to mention their anchors besides dan patrick aren't highly paid,a fact i know is true after talking to a detroit radio sports talk guy who knows rich eisin.if espn really wanted to promote the sport of hockey since they hold the national tv contract it would be smart business to televise the wjc to let fans preview future nhl stars.your argument has no legs that its about cost.espn has contracts with every sports league as well as the ncaa that they make money off of.clearly the wjc is a superior product to the ncaa frozen four,more nhlers have played wjc than frozen four.the argument to pay up is more convincing than to not.

nathan
01-06-2004, 01:17 PM
So...did anyone catch THE WORLD SERIES OF POKER on ESPN? :D

Sotnos
01-06-2004, 01:21 PM
You can sell almost anything in the states if you give it enough national flavor.
Being an American yourself, you know this for a fact, right?

Anyway, as mentioned, the game was on CenterIce, so I don't see what the big deal is. There is no way ESPN would go to the expense to send a crew over to Finland for a week and a half to broadcast this. Whatever market there would be for it is pretty much covered by CenterIce subscribers. I'm surprised ESPN mentioned it, they had NOTHING on their website about it early last evening, not that I could see anyway.

chicpea*
01-06-2004, 02:18 PM

Well, it would really suck if they didn't find a distributor for next year's games. It would suck for the american fans and especially for american hockey in general. There will be no better chance than next year. If I were you guys (americans here) I would forget petitioning ESPN or whatever else passes for sports broadcasting (sorry, couldn't resist) and I would focus solely on HockeyUSA. They must have clout of some sort. Write the NHLPA, the NHL too for that matter - in the long run it'll help their ratings too. But HockeyUSA is the place to petition, harass, and annoy. Anyway, good luck.

p.s. Leafssuck, I thought you were by the way you spelled flavour. ;)
(vote U party, defender of Canada's favoUrite, most honoUrable letter)

chicpea*
01-06-2004, 02:21 PM
I have shamed the Queen :cry:
:p

her kids have done a pretty thorough job already :eek: , so I wouldn't worry.

Belanger25
01-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Are you serious! I never thought of that but you may be right. That would really suck for you guys.

I remember 2 years ago there was the Gaylord Hotel Bowl on ESPN2.

WJC would never beat out Bowl Week. They even changed a holiday song to be a Bowl week song.

It's the most wonderful time of the year is the song.

Robert Paulson*
01-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Those boneheads at ESPN play cheerleading championships, but they ignore the WJCs.
Oh, it gets worse. How about putt-putt championships, or the Scrabble tournaments? How about the dang World Series of Poker re-runs 4 hours a day! They'd rather show that than anything hockey.
I wrote to ESPN.com about how they didn't cover the Heritage Classic, and they responded "The Heritage Classic will be show Saturday, blah blah on ESPN Classic." I was outraged.

zetterberg40
01-06-2004, 05:44 PM

By filling time with crap like a cheerleading tournie or a spelling bee doesnt make them anything. Who watches that ****? not many... They would get a bigger audience replaying a game from the night before or key games of the week in those spots then actually putting on garbage like that. Billards can be OK at times and i bet they gain interst, but besides getting a good laugh, no one watches a spelling be, for christ sake, its A SPORTS STATION, not a school station... PLAY SPORTS!

zetterberg40
01-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Oh, it gets worse. How about putt-putt championships, or the Scrabble tournaments? How about the dang World Series of Poker re-runs 4 hours a day! They'd rather show that than anything hockey.
I wrote to ESPN.com about how they didn't cover the Heritage Classic, and they responded "The Heritage Classic will be show Saturday, blah blah on ESPN Classic." I was outraged.

whens the paper football championship playing? same with the rock-paper-scissors tournie?

thats basically what espn is these days, its sad