Orange County Doesn't Like Our Chances

mrwarden
09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
This article is pretty much crap.

http://146.145.120.3/default.asp?c=ocregister&page=/nhl/news/ADN4103456.htm

Doesn't even mention Backstrom, among others...

Langway
09-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Anyone that lists Ben Clymer as a defenseman loses all credibility off the top.

I don't know anyone that'd describe Boumedienne as a 'highly-regarded prospect' either.

HSHS
09-24-2007, 05:11 PM

I don't know anyone that'd describe Boumedienne as a 'highly-regarded prospect' either.

Like NHL08? :shakehead

strungout
09-24-2007, 05:36 PM
The Orange County what? Register?

Yeah. I got something for you to Register.

The Viking Fury
09-24-2007, 05:39 PM
:biglaugh:

Foy
09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
They also expect Motzko to make the club. Yipes.

12 oz Papa*
09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Please don't let that horrible article sway you guys/gals to think all of us here in Orange County are morons.

czm*
09-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Dear Bob Herpen,

Take this article and shove it up your ass.

Sincerely,
Washington Capitals fans

WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE - The Caps' new look in the red, white and blue is reminiscent of their old-style star-spangled uniforms. Unfortunately, Washington is still on track to play as poorly as those early clubs who donned those patriotic jerseys.
Yeah, ok.. :rolleyes:

Devil Dancer
09-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Please don't let that horrible article sway you guys/gals to think all of us here in Orange County are morons.

Actually, I really appreciate that post. Thanks for coming by, it's good to know that everyone isn't completely ignorant about our beloved Caps.

mrwarden
09-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Yahoo lists Clymer as a D as well. Supposedly it comes from the teams.

bceagle00
09-24-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey - this is the real deal. I don't write for the OC Register, but I do write for a place the Register gets its sports, located 130 miles northeast of D.C.

I'm just blown away by the level of response to a season preview. I'm honored to be slammed so badly by the likes of true Caps fans.

Tell me, where were you when I was in Section 425 when the Flyers were in town and every Philly goal was greeted with louder cheers than every Caps goal? Where were you in the two years prior to the cancelled season when the team had its guts ripped out and the Caps played a ton of minor-leaguers and attendance was noticeably sparse?

I know a little something, because I was brought up on the Flyers-Capitals rivalry. I respect the tradition of Gartner, Murphy, Christian, Hunter, Malarchuk, Hatcher, Tinordi, Pivonka, Ridley, Simon, Witt, Konowalchuk and countless others after the years of terrible hockey as an expansion franchise. I know a little something because I have relatives who have lived down there for 25 years or more in Reston and Silver Spring, have gone to games, and noticed how dead it was in the arena and how little the populace cared overall compared to fans in Philadelphia on more than a few occasions.

I know a little because I covered the Flyers and got to talk to local writers and team staff and scouts about the buzz surrounding the Capitals in #8's rookie season and it was hardly glowing other than his arrival.

I know every fan base is going to have those intense fanatics who feel the need to defend the honor of the team against those perceived as "outsiders". I wish I could put a rosy picture on the Capitals present, but it's not there based on the last four seasons and the way the Southeast is shaping up.
I hope I'm wrong because Alex Ovechkin deserves a better cast around him. He deserves better than retread Michael Nylander or second-rate Tom Poti or the last remaining vestige of Olie Kolzig's athleticism.

Anyway, when writing a season preview, unless you're privy to absolutely every bit of information from the team and its farm clubs, you can't get it all spot on. Ben Clymer was listed as a defenseman on every publication I was able to wrangle and I know I've missed players because they simply haven't been mentioned until the preseason started. You're going to find a lot of missed info unless you get a preview written hours before the start of the regular season.

But seriously, keep up the good work. I'm having a great laugh at all the haterade slung my way. The worse, the better.

pgreene
09-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey - this is the real deal. I don't write for the OC Register, but I do write for a place the Register gets its sports, located 130 miles northeast of D.C.

I'm just blown away by the level of response to a season preview. I'm honored to be slammed so badly by the likes of true Caps fans.

Tell me, where were you when I was in Section 425 when the Flyers were in town and every Philly goal was greeted with louder cheers than every Caps goal? Where were you in the two years prior to the cancelled season when the team had its guts ripped out and the Caps played a ton of minor-leaguers and attendance was noticeably sparse?

I know a little something, because I was brought up on the Flyers-Capitals rivalry. I respect the tradition of Gartner, Murphy, Christian, Hunter, Malarchuk, Hatcher, Tinordi, Pivonka, Ridley, Simon, Witt, Konowalchuk and countless others after the years of terrible hockey as an expansion franchise. I know a little something because I have relatives who have lived down there for 25 years or more in Reston and Silver Spring, have gone to games, and noticed how dead it was in the arena and how little the populace cared overall compared to fans in Philadelphia on more than a few occasions.

I know a little because I covered the Flyers and got to talk to local writers and team staff and scouts about the buzz surrounding the Capitals in #8's rookie season and it was hardly glowing other than his arrival.

I know every fan base is going to have those intense fanatics who feel the need to defend the honor of the team against those perceived as "outsiders". I wish I could put a rosy picture on the Capitals present, but it's not there based on the last four seasons and the way the Southeast is shaping up.
I hope I'm wrong because Alex Ovechkin deserves a better cast around him. He deserves better than retread Michael Nylander or second-rate Tom Poti or the last remaining vestige of Olie Kolzig's athleticism.

Anyway, when writing a season preview, unless you're privy to absolutely every bit of information from the team and its farm clubs, you can't get it all spot on. Ben Clymer was listed as a defenseman on every publication I was able to wrangle and I know I've missed players because they simply haven't been mentioned until the preseason started. You're going to find a lot of missed info unless you get a preview written hours before the start of the regular season.

But seriously, keep up the good work. I'm having a great laugh at all the haterade slung my way. The worse, the better.

honestly, "haterade"? :biglaugh:

it's not a question of defending honor, friend. it's a question of wondering what passes for journalism these days. anyone who puts brendan witt in the same sentence as dale hunter's just plain asking for it.

i'm not entirely sure what ocregister is, but i wish you all the best. you're officially invited to the party at the end of the season at which, i can guarantee, "haterade" (whatever the hell that is) will not be served.

mrwarden
09-24-2007, 09:48 PM

Honestly, the article is wrong about the role of half the players it talks about. If you're writing about the Caps, shouldn't you have known where Ben Clymer plays by, oh I don't know, watching more than one actual game in the last year? Shouldn't you have some idea who the Caps top 8 d-men are, that Ben Clymer isn't one of them, that Milan Jurcina and Morissonn are? Nick Backstrom is one of the best players in the world who wasn't in the NHL last year and was the number four overall draft pick last year...if you did a team preview of the Portland Trailblazers and didn't mention Greg Oden (before he got hurt anyway) wouldn't it look kind of half-assed?

It seems like all you did was look at last year's stats.

Edit: sorry, you mentioned Morissonn

strungout
09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Anyway, when writing a season preview, unless you're privy to absolutely every bit of information from the team and its farm clubs, you can't get it all spot on.Well then don't f'ing write it (whoever the so called author is).

Simple as that.

But wait...everyone is a journalist nowadays. Everyone has an opinion.

My ass.

Backstrom #19
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM

Didn't we win all 4 games agaisnt the Flyers this year....Yeah we did. So shut up and sit down.

czm*
09-24-2007, 10:12 PM

Hey, 495 isn't that far from here. Why don't you go run across it? Bring Scott Burnside along with you.

Honestly, if people can't get their ****ing facts straight in regards to the team they're writing about, they have two logical choices: 1) do some research and THEN write the article, or 2) DON'T ****ING WRITE THE ARTICLE. It's that simple. It's an article about the team that has so many facts wrong that it's a wonder this guy managed to spell his ****ing name right. If you write an article and get a bunch of things wrong, you end up looking like a total ass.

And I wonder why you're so defensive. You didn't write this piece of ****, right? So why do you care if we rip it apart?

The Viking Fury
09-24-2007, 10:34 PM

I can't wait to rip this apart in my blog :sarcasm:

Seriously though, bringing up the flyers of last season? I was there at all2 of the games played at the Verizon center, and the caps goals were greeted much louder than the Flyers', especially since the caps were better than the flyers last year and swept the season series.

Cush
09-24-2007, 10:40 PM
well, I'm just disappointed by the omission of two of the teams top prospects, Nicklas Backman and Tomas Fleshman :sarcasm:

txpd
09-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Its not a good idea to admit you read this stuff. Worse to join the conversation. I am an electronic entertainment media man by trade, retired, so I have experience with this.

The truth is that you wrote your season preview of the Capitals as most average out of towners would. With only basic knowledge of the hockey team.

Way too much of what you wrote was either a mistake or only marginally true. But who where this would be read would care? You were right that people don't take notice of the Capitals and this preview then proves the point.

Your main readers won't care about any of the mistakes and will certainly appreciate that you think the Caps stink. The Caps fans here that read it and know where you went off the rails are not your primary readers or even secondary and so, why should you care?

The truth is that most of what you wrote was junk in the accurate and should the Caps actually prove that, noone that read your stuff will care...again. No harm no foul. Right?

HSHS
09-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Dewey Defeats Truman!!!!!

Woooooooo Whoooooo!!!!

edit: and I was there as a season tix holder prior to moving to LA.

txpd
09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
honestly, "haterade"? :biglaugh:

it's not a question of defending honor, friend. it's a question of wondering what passes for journalism these days. anyone who puts brendan witt in the same sentence as dale hunter's just plain asking for it.

i'm not entirely sure what ocregister is, but i wish you all the best. you're officially invited to the party at the end of the season at which, i can guarantee, "haterade" (whatever the hell that is) will not be served.

This is why some guys really do need an editor. But in this case, let the guy off the hook. He is referring to a new sport drink spin off of Gatorade.

Langway
09-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Let me start off by saying that I don't expect many publications to rank the Caps far from the cellar in the Southeast Division and the Eastern Conference. My problem with the piece is more due to some of the omissions and errors mentioned.

And, btw, welcome to the information age. Writers in all formats will have their work scrutinized like never before, both fairly and unfairly. It's better to just embrace it and engage in a respectful dialog (and that goes for us, too).
I know a little because I covered the Flyers and got to talk to local writers and team staff and scouts about the buzz surrounding the Capitals in #8's rookie season and it was hardly glowing other than his arrival....

I wish I could put a rosy picture on the Capitals present, but it's not there based on the last four seasons and the way the Southeast is shaping up.
Here's my problem, though: you can throw away the last four seasons when predicting this season. You can throw out the lackluster fan base. You can throw out the fire sale from a few years ago. This is a different team from last year, let alone from when Ovechkin entered the league or the team pre-lockout. This piece seems shaped less on the actual team that will be on the ice than how the team has performed the past few years and your perception of the franchise in general. Relying on historical precedent and 'consensus wisdom' are the sort of things that resulted in Carolina being picked to be close to last by many for the '05-'06 season.

Simply put, I don't put much stock in preseason standings projections but I do expect the better ones to be accurate and thorough in their reasoning. When you mention 'how the Southeast is shaping up,' would you not agree that it is the weakest division in the Eastern Conference and the entire NHL? While I agree that the maturation of Washington's defense will be crucial to their success, the only division club with a decent defense is Florida. Each of the other teams in the division have their own particular problem areas, from goaltending to defense to scoring depth to defensive depth. It's as wide open--in every sense of the term--as any division in the league.

Devil Dancer
09-24-2007, 11:34 PM

Having grown up in a journalism household, I can say with confidence that the above statement is pathetic. You are admitting to writing a poorly fact checked article and passing it off as journalism. You should be ashamed of yourself. I'm sure real journalists would be.

The ironic thing is, had you simply come here first and read some of the threads, your piece would have been much better informed. Jackass.

Marshall
09-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I can't decide which is lower, this guy's 'professionalism' or his self-esteem. Let's call it a tie.

Both dwarf his insight.

Otter
09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
What's the dumbest part of this?

Writing a bad article without checking facts?
Blaming the readers for getting upset and (attempting to) belittle them?
Or doing it in a public forum while telling the people you are offending where you work?

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/contactus/

Have a wonderful day, donkey.

txpd
09-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Langway pulled out this section, "Originally Posted by bceagle00
I know a little because I covered the Flyers and got to talk to local writers and team staff and scouts about the buzz surrounding the Capitals in #8's rookie season and it was hardly glowing other than his arrival....

I wish I could put a rosy picture on the Capitals present, but it's not there based on the last four seasons and the way the Southeast is shaping up."

Two season's ago I am sure it was hardly glowing. Ovechkin was a surprise. The only other surprise was that the Capitals were not so bad as to embarrass the NHL. In fact they were quite competitive. Last season, maybe you missed that for the first half of the season they were smack in the middle of the playoff race, usually sitting 6th to 8th. The grind and injuries showed their lack of depth and the total lack of experience of their second tier players and they dropped out then sold at the new earlier deadline and spun in.

I think what you missed there was the maturation of key elements of the Capitals plan. Shaone Morrisonn is not a name that grabs headlines, but was the backbone of the team that stayed in the hunt. Clark solidified his move from 4th line role player in Calgary to a 30 goal scoring team Captain that has the respect of every player in the league. They added a near 40 goal scorer to go with their 50 goal scorer.

Add to that they took the primary defenseman away from a team they will compete with for a playoff spot and they have what is generally accepted as the best and most reliable goaltending in their division.

If you were watching the Flyers, the Caps were above them all season and were actually in the playoff fight for enough of the season that a fan could enjoy it some.

As for the southeast and how it is shaping up...how is it shaping up exactly?

1. Atlanta played the last quarter of last season in a total tailspin. They made desperate moves at the deadline that hurt the team and then went 4 and out in the playoffs. They have not improved this offseason.

2. Tampa Bay. Still has its payroll tied up in 4 players. Lecavalier, Richards, St Louis and Boyle all played all 82 games last season. Boyle is already injuried. They still have a goaltending problem and a coach who's style has been wearing thin for a couple of years now.

3. Carolina. Which Carolina team shows up? The cup team or the team that misses the playoffs? Staal had a rough off season. Hedican is on his last legs. They have goaltending issues.

4. Florida. I honestly hope you are not going to blow off the Capitals roster improvements and growth of young talent on one hand and then reveal that you think Florida is a player in the playoff picture.

In my view any team in the southeast could gel and hit the lottery or fall apart and end up IN the lottery.

Funkyalligator
09-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I think that any article that fails to mention Backstrom, Jurcina and has Clymer listed as a defenseman(he played how many games at that position?) and then goes on to suggest that Cassivi needs to be brought up to provide goal tending depth...needs to really learn how to research

sk84fun_dc
09-25-2007, 09:53 AM
I think that any article that fails to mention Backstrom, Jurcina and has Clymer listed as a defenseman(he played how many games at that position?) and then goes on to suggest that Cassivi needs to be brought up to provide goal tending depth...needs to really learn how to research

A birthdate is so hard to look up and confirm with a second reliable source :sarcasm:

..."with two veterans in the crease, the club should do more to work in Frederic Cassivi."

Cassivi, Born Jun 12 1975
Johnson, Born Mar 12 1977

What's the dumbest part of this?

Writing a bad article without checking facts?
Blaming the readers for getting upset and (attempting to) belittle them?
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/contactus/

I chose not to post in this thread last night as I didn't see much to gain, but I have changed my mind; someone that claims to be a journalist and has a title including the word "editor" and has any pride in the work they publish would consider doing a little, and I mean a little, fact-checking before hitting submit. There are facts wrong in that preview that have not been pointed out in this thread along with the many already highlighted.

And the defense/response presented in the post earlier in this thread apparently by the "writer" was quite amusing, but other posters have already responded to that post.

My reason for posting...Mega highlights an important point about the contact page for the OC Register and their choice to use the Sports Network as a source of information and articles. This is the unfortunate part of a preview written with little, if any, fact checking and after reading the post in this thread, with a dated viewpoint and possible bias. This isn't a piece written by someone in Orange County, this is written by someone in the Philadelphia area that works for an organization that services news sources in various regions of the country.

I did a search for this preview, but refused to click on the hits, because I don't want to increase the hit count associated with this piece (I admit, I don't understand a lot about the Internet and this issue, but I assume that would be the case.) The unfortunate result is sites in Boston, Miami, Minneapolis, Seattle, Sacramento, Louisville and more appear to be using this preview on their sites. As Mega highlighted with the OC Register, the client contact information is available on many of these sites.

In addition, I chose to read the two other 07-08 previews I found on the Internet with a "Bob Herpen" byline for some context:

Colorado Avs (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nhl/news/ADN4103470.htm)

Philadelphia Flyers (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nhl/news/ADN4103486.htm)

Again, it is not just the OC Register and here is how this organization is marketing their work product:

"Since The Sports Network has joined the Cyberworld, it is unwavering in its focus on providing the most accurate and best sports service on the Internet, as well as elsewehere, as on our wire service...including, but not limited to, the most information, qualitatively and quantitatively, the fastest delivery and the easiest to use with unmatched state of the art technology that continues to set the pace in the industry. The result is an award-winning web site inclusive of, but not limited to, score updatess as they happen at the collegiate and professional levels domestically and internationally, news, trends and forecasts, statistics, pre- and post-game reports, historical data, weather updates, injuries for both college and professional teams, special features and a great deal more...When we ask a prospective client what they want, it's not just casual conversation, lip service and filling out forms. We deliver it and, if we do not have it at that moment, we go out and get it! The Sports Network is the leader in the field with good reason and an ability to see the farthermost horizon. Without question, we walk the walk and our reputation precedes us in every instance."

Sports Network about us page (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.aspc=sportsnetwork&page=other/misc/about.htm)

bold added for emphasis, complete with a spelling error :)

Gumby
09-25-2007, 10:01 AM
The best advice I got growing up was to make sure you know something about a subject before throwing your 2 cents into the conversation or just keep your mouth shut because you almost always come out looking like an ass otherwise. The older I get the more that proves to be true.

BTW, "haterade"???......they have 18 year olds writing for them now? So pathetic.

Biscuit Bullet
09-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Any self respecting journalist knows that starting arguments repetitively with the phrase "I know a little" is not a good way to construct a persuasive ethos, especially around an audience that is well-informed on the subject.

This guy is a moron. I didn't know they were giving the NHL preview job to High School interns.

czm*
09-25-2007, 11:40 AM
This guy got owned, badly.

bceagle00 - gtfo, kthxbai

Biscuit Bullet
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
He's drowning in "haterade." Poor thing. ;)

Quaternions
09-25-2007, 12:05 PM

Haha, this whole thread has made me laugh, thanks guys.

However, not to give this guy any credit, but even the Capitals has Ben Clymer listed as a defenseman on their own site: Clicky (http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=TeamPlayers&type=roster)

Langway
09-25-2007, 12:19 PM

However, not to give this guy any credit, but even the Capitals has Ben Clymer listed as a defenseman on their own site: Clicky (http://capitals.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=TeamPlayers&type=roster)
Yeah, a lot of places do for whatever reason. I assume the Caps site bio is more or less an updated NHL.com bio, which listed him as a defenseman throughout all of last season in their scoresheets.

Biscuit Bullet
09-25-2007, 12:23 PM

Still no excuse for writing a season preview without having seen any of the team's games.

I wish he'd come back and try to further defend himself. Work is slow and I could use something to put my mind to.

sk84fun_dc
09-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah, a lot of places do for whatever reason. I assume the Caps site bio is more or less an updated NHL.com bio, which listed him as a defenseman throughout all of last season in their scoresheets.

Nhl.com with the new links to the individual pages is the issue on that one. The Clymer mistake is excusable if one only looks at games played and the position designation; however, is that all that is required to write a season preview focused on a specific team?

How about a quick review of the 06-07 summary stats from nhl.com showing Clymer's avg TOI compared to the other "d-men" or reading one or two pieces by the team's beat writers. And just for fun, I'll throw this in for an apparent Flyers fan only because of the post earlier in this thread, Clymer's first game as a forward last season was a 2 goal performance against the Flyers in Philly.

As already mentioned, there is the issue about not acknowledging the acquisition of Jurcina, but also Green playing 70 games as a 21yo and Schultz playing almost half the season. The Sports Network Caps page has two defensemen listed as the most recent signings this summer: Jurcina and Erskine; one didn't have to look far to learn Jurcina is a Washington Capital, which might lead one to question/investigate his role on the team, given his TOI stats, etc.

It isn't about mentioning Clymer as a d-man, it is about the quality of the preview and the numerous errors...on that note...."highly-regarded prospect Josef Boumedienne"

Jasper17
09-25-2007, 12:50 PM
My 2 cents on the article...

I think the article is a decent preview as the concerns he talks about with the Defense's lack of experience, the offense's lack of scoring past Ovechkin and Semin, and the age of Kolzig are all legit concerns. The problem the writer has is...

1. He gave a piss poor prediction for the Caps which is obviously not going to make the fans happy

2. He obviously doesn't follow the Caps to closely, because the comments about "highly-regarded prospect Josef Boumedienne" or to imply Cassivi is a young goaltender who should be given more games (which is at least what I took from the "the club should do more to work in Frederic Cassivi, the 2006 Calder Cup-winning netminder from their AHL club in Hershey. comment)". And those foolish comments have given angry Caps fans some ammunition to trash the entire article.

I think its pretty clear that whoever wrote the article does know hockey, and does know enough about the Caps to do an preview. But he obviously doesn't follow the Caps closely enough to talk about anyone but the main stream players. And it was his attempt to talk about players most non-caps fans wouldn't know about that backfired.

And because of that, he deserves the critics because if you are going to write something in an attempt to inform others you better know what you are talking about. That being said, although his WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE - is a little harsh. The concerns he talks about are very valid.

Devil Dancer
09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
That being said, although his WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE - is a little harsh. The concerns he talks about are very valid.

I disagree. He compares this Caps team to the expansion Caps, some of the worst teams in NHL history. This current team has "concerns," but the author is implying that they will be comparable to the worst teams ever.

That's just irresponsible.

Otter
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
If a "decent article" needs only point out the most basic of concerns that any one of a hundred other articles has already pointed out then standards are becoming quite low. If this was a 5th grade paper it would pass. But, as Sk8 pointed out, it's a news service feed. It is out of respect for true journalists that this sort of thing needs to get panned.

mrwarden
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I think its pretty clear that whoever wrote the article does know hockey, and does know enough about the Caps to do an preview.

He knows enough to do a preview for the Caps in a bar with his also ignorant friends. He does not know enough to write a preview that is going to be published. If you're getting paid to be a sportswriter you have to do more than 30 seconds worth of investigation in order to put pen to paper without needing to seriously expect you will get called on your almost certain factual errors. I mean honestly, is there any doubt in your mind that this guy watched less than 2 games on tv or in person last year?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz
09-25-2007, 01:16 PM

Bwahahaha
:biglaugh:

So your article is excusable because the Caps have low attendance? Or wait, is it because you don't like your offseason additions?

You're lack of accuracy is a joke.

Kegger
09-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Why (in the first place) would someone allow you to write a season preview for a team in which you do not have privy information about. Seriously! Your family sources in Silver Spring and personal orange glasses speak volumes. :shakehead

Quaternions
09-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Still no excuse for writing a season preview without having seen any of the team's games.

I wish he'd come back and try to further defend himself. Work is slow and I could use something to put my mind to.

Oh, I whole heartily agree. I was only pointed it out. Work is slow here as well. Doing a silly online computer based training session. Hehe, I read two pages, and check out the boards. :) Gotta love Firefox and tabs.

LSF76
09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Apparently publishing an article with poor accuracy is excusable if:

1. It was really hard to get the facts right, because they were copied from other sources which were mistaken.

2. The team in question is expected to stink anyway.

3. The team has weak fan support.

Gosh, I never knew that, particularly #1. Imagine trying that excuse on a college professor. "Well, I got some facts wrong, but only because I plagiarized them from bad sources. Doing proper research myself was too hard."

Quaternions
09-25-2007, 01:37 PM
bceagle00 please come back! I'm bored out of my wits at work and need a bit more entertainment. This thread is starting to die out. :(

Jasper17
09-25-2007, 03:13 PM
I disagree. He compares this Caps team to the expansion Caps, some of the worst teams in NHL history. This current team has "concerns," but the author is implying that they will be comparable to the worst teams ever.

That's just irresponsible.

Lets be realistic, how much of what is reported is origional? 90% of what is in one paper can be read in another. And like I said, the final peice was harsh. But that is his opinion. I don't know why you or anyone else is acting like his prediction should be a fact. He doesn't think the Caps are going to be good, i am sure he is not the only writer in the world to think that.

He knows enough to do a preview for the Caps in a bar with his also ignorant friends. He does not know enough to write a preview that is going to be published. If you're getting paid to be a sportswriter you have to do more than 30 seconds worth of investigation in order to put pen to paper without needing to seriously expect you will get called on your almost certain factual errors. I mean honestly, is there any doubt in your mind that this guy watched less than 2 games on tv or in person last year?

If you are going to quote me than quote what I actually wrote and not just what you want to pick apart. Funny someone who wants to bash a reporter would do that. What I said was...

I think its pretty clear that whoever wrote the article does know hockey, and does know enough about the Caps to do an preview. But he obviously doesn't follow the Caps closely enough to talk about anyone but the main stream players. And it was his attempt to talk about players most non-caps fans wouldn't know about that backfired

I agree with you that he didn't know enough about the players he mentioned to write about them. But every concern he mentioned he was 100% right about. The defense is inexperienced, the offence is not deep, and the goaltending is getting old.

TempusFugit
09-25-2007, 06:07 PM
I agree with you that he didn't know enough about the players he mentioned to write about them. But every concern he mentioned he was 100% right about. The defense is inexperienced, the offence is not deep, and the goaltending is getting old.

I didn't read the article, but the offense of the Capitals isn't a legitmate concern. The team finished 17th in the league in goals scored, which really isn't bad, and ahead of several playoff teams. Then they added about (roughly) 60 more goals in the persons of Nylander, Poti, Backstrom and Kozlov, while losing a handful from Zubrus and Beech. The offense revolves around Semin & Ovi, of course, but there's a lot of teams that would want that 1-2 punch. The only real concern is the young defense, and if they can cut off about half a goal a game or so, they'll be playoff contenders

PSUhockey34
09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
aside from it being a poorly researched article, he's right when he says the D is still the question mark

NobodyBeatsTheWiz
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
aside from it being a poorly researched article, he's right when he says the D is still the question mark

There's some expression with a disabled squirrel and a nut that seemingly applies here...

Gumby
09-25-2007, 06:52 PM
There's some expression with a disabled squirrel and a nut that seemingly applies here...

I think its more that any person that would read a hockey article would already know that.

Devil Dancer
09-25-2007, 08:23 PM
He doesn't think the Caps are going to be good, i am sure he is not the only writer in the world to think that.

No, but he is the only writer saying the Caps are going to be one of the worst teams of all time:

The Caps' new look in the red, white and blue is reminiscent of their old-style star-spangled uniforms. Unfortunately, Washington is still on track to play as poorly as those early clubs who donned those patriotic jerseys.

I know you like to be contrary just for the sake of trying to piss people off, but really, can't you find a better unpopular cause to defend?

Jasper17
09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I didn't read the article, but the offense of the Capitals isn't a legitmate concern. The team finished 17th in the league in goals scored, which really isn't bad, and ahead of several playoff teams. Then they added about (roughly) 60 more goals in the persons of Nylander, Poti, Backstrom and Kozlov, while losing a handful from Zubrus and Beech. The offense revolves around Semin & Ovi, of course, but there's a lot of teams that would want that 1-2 punch. The only real concern is the young defense, and if they can cut off about half a goal a game or so, they'll be playoff contenders

You honestly have no concern at all?

If Kozlov scores 70 points next year, which is what Zubrus was on pace for before he got dealt (.867 per game) I will be very happy. In reality I don't think you can expect him to do more than replace that production in the lineup.

No question Nylander is a huge upgrade from Beech, but lets not forget that this guy isn't a goal machine. He has only scored more than 20 in 4 of 13 season's, so if he can hit the 20 goal mark again I think we should all be very happy. And 2 of them were with Jagr, no disrespect to Ovechkin and Semin but neither of them is as good a playmaker as Jagr.

And Backstrom is a rookie, i think we all need to calm down a bit with him. He's not going to be an instant success. I think the expecations of him walking into the NHL at 19 and putting up 70 points are very hopefull. If he can hit 45 we should all be jumping for joy (Lets not forget, Phil Kessel = 29 points last season. Just throwing that out there as a comparison, do with it what you would like)

I fully expect this team to score more goals that last season's total, which was below league average so I am not sure why you said they were 17th in the league like it was some great accomplishment. Will they be a top 10? I think they can if all goes well, but that is far from a sure thing.

Who will score goals on a regular basis besides Ovechkin and Semin is still a concern for this club when you are counting on a player who plays like he hates to shoot (Nylander) and inconsistant 2nd liner past his prime (Kozlov) and a rookie (Backstrom).

Jasper17
09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
No, but he is the only writer saying the Caps are going to be one of the worst teams of all time:

The Caps' new look in the red, white and blue is reminiscent of their old-style star-spangled uniforms. Unfortunately, Washington is still on track to play as poorly as those early clubs who donned those patriotic jerseys.

I know you like to be contrary just for the sake of trying to piss people off, but really, can't you find a better unpopular cause to defend?

What, because he thinks the Caps are going to suck again nothing he wrote is accurate.

The sad thing to me is, if he would have written the same article but finished with. "The Caps' new look in the red, white and blue is reminiscent of their old-style star-spangled uniforms. Fortunately, Washington is not on track to play as poorly as those early clubs who donned those patriotic jerseys"

We all would have ignored the idiotic references to Clymer as a defensman and Boomer as a prospect and focused on nothing but that. Unfortunatly because someone said the Caps are going to suck every gets pissed and just wants to rip the writer as knowing nothing about hockey.

It has nothing to do with me trying to be "contrary just for the sake of trying to piss people off" (not even sure where that bs comes from because its not the truth). Its about being able to understand that his main points about the concerns with this team are very valid. And they are the same concerns that will more than likely be echoed by everyone not biased.

Backstrom #19
09-25-2007, 09:49 PM

If Kozlov scores 70 points next year, which is what Zubrus was on pace for before he got dealt (.867 per game) I will be very happy. In reality I don't think you can expect him to do more than replace that production in the lineup.

No question Nylander is a huge upgrade from Beech, but lets not forget that this guy isn't a goal machine. He has only scored more than 20 in 4 of 13 season's, so if he can hit the 20 goal mark again I think we should all be very happy. And 2 of them were with Jagr, no disrespect to Ovechkin and Semin but neither of them is as good a playmaker as Jagr.

And Backstrom is a rookie, i think we all need to calm down a bit with him. He's not going to be an instant success. I think the expecations of him walking into the NHL at 19 and putting up 70 points are very hopefull. If he can hit 45 we should all be jumping for joy (Lets not forget, Phil Kessel = 29 points last season. Just throwing that out there as a comparison, do with it what you would like)

I fully expect this team to score more goals that last season's total, which was below league average so I am not sure why you said they were 17th in the league like it was some great accomplishment. Will they be a top 10? I think they can if all goes well, but that is far from a sure thing.

Who will score goals on a regular basis besides Ovechkin and Semin is still a concern for this club when you are counting on a player who plays like he hates to shoot (Nylander) and inconsistant 2nd liner past his prime (Kozlov) and a rookie (Backstrom).

Of course Nylander isn't a goal machine, he's a playmaker, he makes other people goal scoring machines.

TempusFugit
09-25-2007, 09:51 PM

No. Offense doesn't get teams into the playoffs anyway, it's defense. Only Tampa made the playoffs last year while being in the bottom third of the league in GAA. On the other hand, 4 playoff teams had fewer goals per game than the Caps

So would I. I'm expecting maybe 60

Believe me, I am WAAAAAY less enthusiastic about Beckis than some are here, particularly when it comes to goal scoring. I'm predicting 10-15

I fully expect this team to score more goals that last season's total, which was below league average so I am not sure why you said they were 17th in the league like it was some great accomplishment.

It is a pretty decent accomplishment when you consider that the second line center was a revolving door, and the scoring from the blue line was almost non-existent. That's a young team that will only get better at scoring, especially with the additions

Will they be a top 10? I think they can if all goes well, but that is far from a sure thing.

OK so how's this:
Kozlov 20 goals
Nylander 17
Beckis 13
Poti 8

That's realistic and adds 58 goals to the team. Take away Zubrus's 20 or so, Beech's 8 and it's a net gain of 30. Maybe Clark will go down a bit, or maybe not. Maybe Green adds a few more, more from Ovi, more from Semin, more from Pettinger. All of these are possible scenarios, and makes the team do better than 17th in the league.

Bottom line is if the team is 17th in the league and is in the top 2/3 of the league in goals against, it'll challenge for a playoff spot, tho the offense will have to be better for a realistic shot at it

Jasper17
09-25-2007, 10:08 PM
No. Offense doesn't get teams into the playoffs anyway, it's defense. Only Tampa made the playoffs last year while being in the bottom third of the league in GAA. On the other hand, 4 playoff teams had fewer goals per game than the Caps

Ok, not really sure why you wrote this. But I didn't say offence from players not named Alex was the main concern, i said it was a concern.

So would I. I'm expecting maybe 60

We agree there then, so that is less production per game average than Zubrus.

Believe me, I am WAAAAAY less enthusiastic about Beckis than some are here, particularly when it comes to goal scoring. I'm predicting 10-15

We agree on this too then.

It is a pretty decent accomplishment when you consider that the second line center was a revolving door, and the scoring from the blue line was almost non-existent. That's a young team that will only get better at scoring, especially with the additions

Ok, i will give you that. But its still less than average.

OK so how's this:
Kozlov 20 goals
Nylander 17
Beckis 13
Poti 8

I agree with your projections but its more like you replace Zubrus and his 20 with Kozlov and around 20. Beech and his 8 for Nylander and his 17. Zednik/Klepis (combined 73 games) and their 9 goals with Backstrom and his 16 (I give Backs a little more than you). and Heward and his 4 with Poti and his 8.

That is a + of 20, less than a quarter goal per game.

Could you project Ovechkin higher, sure. But to do that you would also have to be realistic and project Clark lower. But I think about a 35 goal improvement can be expected overall. Which is really good, but for this team is it good enough? That is a concern.

Bottom line is if the team is 17th in the league and is in the top 2/3 of the league in goals against, it'll challenge for a playoff spot, tho the offense will have to be better for a realistic shot at it

much better IMO. If the Caps are only average and scoring and only in the top 2/3 in goals against based on last years #'s they would still be giving up more goals than they score. Only 1 team did that and made the playoffs last year.

The Viking Fury
09-25-2007, 10:19 PM
oh no, not another ghg vs japser

TempusFugit
09-25-2007, 10:24 PM
That is a + of 20, less than a quarter goal per game.

Could you project Ovechkin higher, sure. But to do that you would also have to be realistic and project Clark lower. But I think about a 35 goal improvement can be expected overall. Which is really good, but for this team is it good enough? That is a concern.

OK, so then factor in a half a goal per game of defensive improvement, which I think is possible. So your net improvement is a whopping 75 goals, and that probably gets you into the playoffs. If I'm GH and my team is in the middle of the pack offensively, or slightly less (17th like last year), and still in the bottom third of the league in GAA, then I'm worried more about the goals against.

BTW if the team cuts half a goal a game off, it would have a better GAA than last year's playoff teams Atlanta, Buffalo, NYI, Pittsburgh, TB and NYR

The offense is fine. It will get even better next year, when Beckis is acclimated, and perhaps Fehr or Bouchard is in the league. The team makes the playoffs this year or not based on that defense. The object of this team shouldn't be for them to improve their offense to such that they outscore everyone with firewagon hockey. It should be to cut the goals against to the point where they're playoff contenders

TempusFugit
09-25-2007, 10:25 PM
oh no, not another ghg vs japser

As long as it stays civil, you have nothing to fear. I'm feeling mellow tonight anyway :D

Jasper17
09-26-2007, 08:19 AM
OK, so then factor in a half a goal per game of defensive improvement, which I think is possible. So your net improvement is a whopping 75 goals, and that probably gets you into the playoffs. If I'm GH and my team is in the middle of the pack offensively, or slightly less (17th like last year), and still in the bottom third of the league in GAA, then I'm worried more about the goals against.

BTW if the team cuts half a goal a game off, it would have a better GAA than last year's playoff teams Atlanta, Buffalo, NYI, Pittsburgh, TB and NYR

The offense is fine. It will get even better next year, when Beckis is acclimated, and perhaps Fehr or Bouchard is in the league. The team makes the playoffs this year or not based on that defense. The object of this team shouldn't be for them to improve their offense to such that they outscore everyone with firewagon hockey. It should be to cut the goals against to the point where they're playoff contenders

I understand what you are saying, i just don't get how you don't think its a concern. Like cutting .5 from the GAA is a given just because we added an offensive 2nd pairing defensman in Poti. Or getting goals from people not named Alex is a sure thing.

Its far from it IMO.

As long as it stays civil, you have nothing to fear. I'm feeling mellow tonight anyway :D

your an idiot ;)

j/k

Otter
09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Defense of this article puzzles me.

Taking this to an extreme to make my point (which I relaize isn't the best route to go but I'm too lazy to break it down fully)...Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is right every now and again during his speeches. Is it wrong to criticize him as well, I wonder?

Marshall
09-26-2007, 12:24 PM
The author (bceagle00) has terminated their HF account, it appears.

sk84fun_dc
09-26-2007, 12:31 PM
The author (bceagle00) has terminated their HF account, it appears.

Well, there is the issue of whether that post was actually the author; no reason to believe it wasn't, but no confirmation either.

And curious, how do you tell that an account has been terminated? I looked in the user profile and didn't see anything. Thanks.

Marshall
09-26-2007, 12:52 PM
I just searched for the username and didn't find it. I could be incorrect in my assumption, but even when accounts change their name, a search on them usually turn up something.

PSUhockey34
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, there is the issue of whether that post was actually the author; no reason to believe it wasn't, but no confirmation either.

And curious, how do you tell that an account has been terminated? I looked in the user profile and didn't see anything. Thanks.

it was him

usually if an account has been dumpstered, a little asterisk appears at the end of their username

sk84fun_dc
09-26-2007, 01:07 PM
it was him

usually if an account has been dumpstered, a little asterisk appears at the end of their username

And I assumed it was in writing my posts.

Where is the asterisk? on old posts? on the public profile?

PSUhockey34
09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
And I assumed it was in writing my posts.

Where is the asterisk? on old posts? on the public profile?

it'll show up on the user profile...you'll also see it next to your name on the currently active users at the top of board if you're using invisible mode

sk84fun_dc
09-26-2007, 01:18 PM
it'll show up on the user profile...you'll also see it next to your name on the currently active users at the top of board if you're using invisible mode

thanks for the info

TempusFugit
09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
I understand what you are saying, i just don't get how you don't think its a concern. Like cutting .5 from the GAA is a given just because we added an offensive 2nd pairing defensman in Poti. Or getting goals from people not named Alex is a sure thing.

Its far from it IMO.

This is a classic glass half empty/full argument. We're in perfect agreement on the state of the offense, just disagree on how to interpret it. Let's just face it, the Caps at this time aren't Cup contenders, and they're barely playoff contenders. To me, an offense that is ranked close to the middle of the league isn't a concern for this season. It's also not a concern for next season, with the expectation of more FA signings and the maturation of offensive prospects. If the team was a legitmate Cup contender with a 17th ranked offense, or if it was years into Ovi's term here, then yeah, I'd be very concerned. But when you consider this team finished 4th worst in the league, with the second to the worst defense, but the offense is 17th, then I'd say that offense is OK, relatively speaking.

Scoring from guys not named Alex doesn't concern me either, because I expect greater contributions than last year from guys named Matt, Boyd, Brian, Mike, Ben and new contributions from guys named Viktor, Michael, Niklas and Tom

your an idiot ;)

j/k

Same to you, fella :naughty: j/k

Jasper17
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
This is a classic glass half empty/full argument. We're in perfect agreement on the state of the offense, just disagree on how to interpret it. Let's just face it, the Caps at this time aren't Cup contenders, and they're barely playoff contenders. To me, an offense that is ranked close to the middle of the league isn't a concern for this season. It's also not a concern for next season, with the expectation of more FA signings and the maturation of offensive prospects. If the team was a legitmate Cup contender with a 17th ranked offense, or if it was years into Ovi's term here, then yeah, I'd be very concerned. But when you consider this team finished 4th worst in the league, with the second to the worst defense, but the offense is 17th, then I'd say that offense is OK, relatively speaking.

Scoring from guys not named Alex doesn't concern me either, because I expect greater contributions than last year from guys named Matt, Boyd, Brian, Mike, Ben and new contributions from guys named Viktor, Michael, Niklas and Tom

Fair enough