garrioch talks about canes/trades

bleedgreen
01-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Bruce Garrioch of the ottawa sun did a small article on the sens being interested in the canes come deadline time. we havent been talking about the sens as possible trading partners, if you guys hadnt already seen it i http://www.slamsports.com/Slam040112/col_garrioch-sun.html thought it might be of interest.

jeffbear
01-12-2004, 11:19 AM
IMO Carolina would be crazy to trade Brind'Amour within the Conference ... he's too good a defensive center even if he never gets his offense back to pre-99 levels.

You've seen all we know about Francis ... if the Canes get an offer and they're out of it, then it'll be Ronnie's call. Hard to tell which way he'd go, but he's made some noise recently about playing another year.

sensfan18
01-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Garrioch is the biggest BSer in the world. Don't beleive anything he ever writes. However, I would love to get Francis here at the deadline if the canes are out of it, one last cup-run for Ronnie.

jeffbear
01-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah ... Garrioch is a known quantity around the league. Unless I'm totally mistaken he had Brind'Amour all but traded to the Sens last year before he hurt his hand ... and once he focuses in on a guy, he tends to keep recycling the so-called information.

bleedgreen
01-12-2004, 11:47 AM
i agree about garrioch, i just wanted to see what you guys thought. i had forgotten abou ottawa's trade deadline moves last year-never considering the canes as an option for this year. i think it could be a possibility, though it would seem theyre looking for someone more like varada. i think that francis in or out of conference shouldnt be a consideration at this point-if he wants to go and picks ottawa, so be it. i would be a little more remorseful about brindamour going to a in-conference opponent, but i think if the deal was right...why not? if it helps the team it helps the team. brindamour does make a lot of green for what he produces. i guess it would depend on what we would get back. i think garrioch is merely planting some seeds with his readership, at this point. the trade deadline this year will be more interesting than usual, i think.

bleedgreen
01-12-2004, 10:51 PM
i was suprised he says new jersey has shown interest for brindamour-i dont trust lou with rutherford. it would be like taking candy from a baby.

jeffbear
01-13-2004, 06:47 AM
Actually I'm not surprised at all. Brindy would be a perfect fit in the Devils' system ... but you're right about Lou. He's among the best GMs in the NHL, and totally out of Rutherford's class.

You never know ... the Burke for Holik trade worked out really well for both sides, and that's the only significant deal between the teams under these GMs.

bleedgreen
01-13-2004, 09:09 AM
Actually I'm not surprised at all. Brindy would be a perfect fit in the Devils' system ... but you're right about Lou. He's among the best GMs in the NHL, and totally out of Rutherford's class.

You never know ... the Burke for Holik trade worked out really well for both sides, and that's the only significant deal between the teams under these GMs.
unfortunately, that was brian burke vs lou-a much different comparison. burke was maybe the best gm ive seen with this organization. im not even postive that was lou, how long has he been around? that trade was 92...right? if i liked rutherford, id let it go-but rutherford was the one who TRADED burke and sanderson for gelinas and mclean :cry: :shakehead . that was a tough one.

WoodGundy
01-13-2004, 01:53 PM
if i liked rutherford, id let it go-but rutherford was the one who TRADED burke and sanderson for gelinas and mclean :cry: :shakehead . that was a tough one.

All due respect Green, Gelinas produced the greatest moment in my life as a fan of the Whalercanes. In retrospect, I would pay twice as much for the man who plunged the dagger into the heart of Leaf-fan. ;)

bleedgreen
01-13-2004, 02:45 PM
All due respect Green, Gelinas produced the greatest moment in my life as a fan of the Whalercanes. In retrospect, I would pay twice as much for the man who plunged the dagger into the heart of Leaf-fan. ;)
true enough wood, and that moment is probably the pinnacle of this franchise - but at the same time it was bittersweet one for me. that trade was an admitted removal of players who were unhappy with the move, a move towards the future. i understand now why it had to happen and how it all ended up fair in the end - but sanderson and burke were the backbone to every good night i had as a whaler fan those last five years. im glad gelinas had his place in the end-it was poetic - but for me the day jr traded those two was the day the whale ended and the canes began. a dagger indeed.

jeffbear
01-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Yeah ... sorry about that. Had my years mixed up on Burke/Holik ... still a pretty good swap for both sides though.

bleedgreen
01-14-2004, 08:09 AM
awesome trade, brian burke did a few in his short time. he traded for pronger and robert kron too.

DARKSIDE
01-14-2004, 05:35 PM
i was suprised he says new jersey has shown interest for brindamour-i dont trust lou with rutherford. it would be like taking candy from a baby.

Lou doesn't look to fleece teams and I personally would love to have Brind'Amour. But, what Lou will look at is the $5 million owed to Brindy next year. Therefore, I fear a trade between the Devils and Carolina for Brind'Amour, will never happen. Maybe a Jeff O'Neil (UFA), Kevyn Adams or Aron Ward type player is possible.

Plan 9
01-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Not to be picky, but isn't Brind'Amour owed seven million next season? Just wondering.

HughJass*
01-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Not to be picky, but isn't Brind'Amour owed seven million next season? Just wondering.

I read that somewhere too. Rod has a no-trade clause, but I'm sure Rutherford will ask him if he doesn't pick up his game. He's not worth the $5M he's getting this season.