Norwegian National Team?

rcduthie77
12-07-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm really hoping someone might be able to give me some good news. I know I wont see team Norway in the WJC but I know there going to be here in Canada for the WHC. As a Norwegian decendant (born in Canada, great-grandfather is from Kristiansand) and a college hockey player myself I have found it very distressing that we have been unable to keep up with some of our fellow Nordic countries in hockey. So distressing that I find myself cheering for Sweden in World Hockey Tournaments knowing that we have almost no chance to compete, let alone win.

My question would be....does anyone know what we might see as a roster for the 2008 World Hockey Championships for hockey? and do we at least have the chance to stay in the top level of the tournament?

Joretus
12-08-2007, 03:13 PM
My question would be....does anyone know what we might see as a roster for the 2008 World Hockey Championships for hockey? and do we at least have the chance to stay in the top level of the tournament?

I guess something like on april(at least not before it) for first and for second, there is always chance, but not too big for Norwegian team.

Garl
12-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm really hoping someone might be able to give me some good news. I know I wont see team Norway in the WJC but I know there going to be here in Canada for the WHC. As a Norwegian decendant (born in Canada, great-grandfather is from Kristiansand) and a college hockey player myself I have found it very distressing that we have been unable to keep up with some of our fellow Nordic countries in hockey. So distressing that I find myself cheering for Sweden in World Hockey Tournaments knowing that we have almost no chance to compete, let alone win.

I think, Norway was decent at last WC, exept for game vs Ukraine which was awful.
Norway played very good vs Canada btw.

Main Norways problem was, is and probably still be for sometime : goaltrending.

The core players are Skroeder, Bastiansen, Hansen from SEL Mathis Olimb, Ask, Trygg from DEL, Holtet(AHL). P.Thoresen and Tollefsen NHL.

Norway IMO must stay at highest level this year, they were just unlucky with the group last year.

In future there are some good youngsters like Spets(SEL), K/Forsberg, Mat.Trygg, K.A. Olimb, Kristiansen, Ylven, Bovim, Espeland, Holos, Aasen etc. I think, they will leave Norway and go to Sweden/Germany to develop and team Norway will be better.

Garl
12-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Btw Norway won first game at U20 WJC today.

Norway-Ukraine 3-0.

1-0 K.A.Olimb SH
2-0 Nielsen(Jacobsen, Mengshoel)
3-0 Froshaug(Bovim)

Redwingsfan
12-12-2007, 04:38 PM
I think, Norway was decent at last WC, exept for game vs Ukraine which was awful.
Norway played very good vs Canada btw.

Main Norways problem was, is and probably still be for sometime : goaltrending.

The core players are Skroeder, Bastiansen, Hansen from SEL Mathis Olimb, Ask, Trygg from DEL, Holtet(AHL). P.Thoresen and Tollefsen NHL.

Norway IMO must stay at highest level this year, they were just unlucky with the group last year.

In future there are some good youngsters like Spets(SEL), K/Forsberg, Mat.Trygg, K.A. Olimb, Kristiansen, Ylven, Bovim, Espeland, Holos, Aasen etc. I think, they will leave Norway and go to Sweden/Germany to develop and team Norway will be better.

just wait for the WC. if you havent seen this kid before. he is going to blow you away. he is so far ahead of the rest of the competition in the norwegian league its not even funny. he has been injured a couple of times this season, but he still leads the scoring race with 35 points in 16 games (12+23). and scott hartnell had "only" 29 points in 28 games in the same league in 04/05.

he is absolutely dominating. im talking sidney crosby in the Q dominating....

im confident that he is going to play in the NHL, even if he is only 5-8.

and the other guy you mentioned, kristian forsberg. he played on my team a feaw years ago. great young player....

and garl.. you forgot tore vikingstad as a key player;)

Tomas W
12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
just wait for the WC. if you havent seen this kid before. he is going to blow you away. he is so far ahead of the rest of the competition in the norwegian league its not even funny. he has been injured a couple of times this season, but he still leads the scoring race with 35 points in 16 games (12+23). and scott hartnell had "only" 29 points in 28 games in the same league in 04/05.

he is absolutely dominating. im talking sidney crosby in the Q dominating....

im confident that he is going to play in the NHL, even if he is only 5-8.

and the other guy you mentioned, kristian forsberg. he played on my team a feaw years ago. great young player....

and garl.. you forgot tore vikingstad as a key player;)

Thats good stats indeed...maybe something for SSK (Södertälje SK in the SEL). He's a bit small though maybe for our (im just a SSK fan) team. We already have small gifted players...we need a powerforward.

Redwingsfan
12-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Thats good stats indeed...maybe something for SSK (Södertälje SK in the SEL). He's a bit small though maybe for our (im just a SSK fan) team. We already have small gifted players...we need a powerforward.

its not like he didnt have offers from the SEL before this season..

skellefteå and brynäs tryed hard to get him, but he decided to stay in norway for one more year...

he is the most talented player i have seen in norway in many years.. the last time i played him he scored 5 goals on me in a juinor-A game... and he really lets you hear it when he does something good. he is a really cool guy....

and the norwegian league is arguably at the same level as allsevenskan, maybe slightly worse. so he's numbers sure are impressive...

rcduthie77
01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm loving the positive waves about some of our young talent. And I agree that we were good in last years WC during the Canada game I even thought it was going to be a major upset at one point. Hopefully we can pull a couple off this year.

Lux Aurumque*
01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm also of Norwegian descent and am hoping to see Norway do well at the WC. It's a shame that Norway is so far behind Sweden and Finland in hockey...because Norway-Sweden could have become a pretty epic rivalry in international hockey.

rcduthie77
01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm also of Norwegian descent and am hoping to see Norway do well at the WC. It's a shame that Norway is so far behind Sweden and Finland in hockey...because Norway-Sweden could have become a pretty epic rivalry in international hockey.

Nice to hear from another Norwegian-Canadian, I dont see many in my area. But I couldn't agree more. Hopefully with the young talent on the way we can have a much stronger team and start a major rivalry with the Swedes in upcomming years.

Quick question...With Norway not overly competitive on the world stage do any of you guys find yourselves cheering for Sweden in World Tournaments or am I just totally out of it?

Redwingsfan
01-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Nice to hear from another Norwegian-Canadian, I dont see many in my area. But I couldn't agree more. Hopefully with the young talent on the way we can have a much stronger team and start a major rivalry with the Swedes in upcomming years.

Quick question...With Norway not overly competitive on the world stage do any of you guys find yourselves cheering for Sweden in World Tournaments or am I just totally out of it?

NO, NEVER:teach:

;)

i allways cheer for russia, because i know norway wont get far anyway...

rcduthie77
01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
NO, NEVER:teach:

;)

i allways cheer for russia, because i know norway wont get far anyway...

Living in Canada I really don't have the option to go for the Russians, in terms of hockey alot of people still get pretty amped up for Canada vs. Russia. I go for pretty much cause I have a few Swedish buddies and I do enjoy watching many of the players and the style they play. I love the mix of great offensive and defensive work that the top Swedish talent always bring. That's the way Norway should build, great two-way play but still allowing the offensivly gifted to shine.

Lux Aurumque*
01-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Would I be wrong in assuming that Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Patrick Thoresen, and Per-Åge Skrøder are all locks for the national team?

zecke26
01-20-2008, 06:07 AM
Would I be wrong in assuming that Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Patrick Thoresen, and Per-Åge Skrøder are all locks for the national team?

nope, you would be right. they are locks as long as they are available.

rcduthie77
01-21-2008, 01:29 AM

I would be extremely upset if any of them weren't.

Gwyddbwyll
01-25-2008, 07:53 AM
I think Norway are participating in a tournament in France in February - the other teams are France, Britain and Latvia.

Lux Aurumque*
01-30-2008, 12:50 AM
nope, you would be right. they are locks as long as they are available.

Excellent.

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get my hands on a Team Norway jersey before the WHC's eh? I'd love to get one with Thoresen or Tollefsen's (Preferably Tollefsen) name on the back...even one without a name. Norway's jerseys are beautiful & it shows support.

rcduthie77
02-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Excellent.

I don't suppose anyone knows where I can get my hands on a Team Norway jersey before the WHC's eh? I'd love to get one with Thoresen or Tollefsen's (Preferably Tollefsen) name on the back...even one without a name. Norway's jerseys are beautiful & it shows support.

I'd be extremely interested to know this myself, I'd love to get a Norway jersey to show support.

zecke26
02-02-2008, 07:27 AM
hockey@hockey.no

that's e-mail of norway's icehockey federation. just ask them and i'm pretty sure they will help you. :)

Redwingsfan
02-06-2008, 04:54 PM
hockey@hockey.no

that's e-mail of norway's icehockey federation. just ask them and i'm pretty sure they will help you. :)

I wouldnt count on it:sarcasm:

EbencoyE
02-10-2008, 06:43 PM
I think Norway are participating in a tournament in France in February - the other teams are France, Britain and Latvia.

Norway - Great Britain (5:3)
Norway - Lithuania (9:3)
Norway - France U-23 (3:0)

France played with a 23 and under team because the senior team was playing in the Skoda Cup in Switzerland.

Redwingsfan
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Norway didnt have a very good team either..

Stephen Locke*
02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
In order of waiting until Norway becomes an established powerhouse in international competitions,you can support your Scandinivian brothers,like Sweden,Denmark or Finland,and your cousins,th Germans.

Redwingsfan
02-12-2008, 01:11 PM
In order of waiting until Norway becomes an established powerhouse in international competitions,you can support your Scandinivian brothers,like Sweden,Denmark or Finland,and your cousins,th Germans.

meh.. i cheer for Russia...

BZArcher
02-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Excellent.

Just saw this while browsing the boards - another Norwegian descended fan here.

I actually went to www.klubben.no and they were very helpful with getting me a jersey, but according to them the jerseys they had to sell only had the player's number, no names on the back. I grabbed a 55 for Tollefesen anyhow. :D

Edit: Just to mention, since you brought up the WHC, turnaround time from giving them the order to having it in my hands was about a week...and it looks like they just put a ton of jerseys up for sale: http://www.idrettsbutikken.no/aspx/produkter.aspx?l=2&t=3995&g0=2&g1=139&g2=745