roman malek?

Flyers dom NHL
01-22-2004, 04:14 PM
where is roman malek? how is he doin? any possibility he will ever sign with the flyers? i would love to see him play for the phantoms or even the flyers next year instead of hackett.

PF
01-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Well, we know he won't play in the AHL and I don't think anyone's just going to throw him into the mix ahead of Niitymaki, that would be unfair to Antero, after all he's yet to prove anything on american ice...I really wish he would of signed to an AHL deal and split time with Antero this year there, then we'd have an idea who was the better of the two.

bobbyboucher24
01-25-2004, 10:04 AM
When we brought Cechmanek over a few years ago, he wanted no part of the AHL, yet we still coaxed him into going down. He was there only briefly, but the point is that he was willing to do it, even after all he did in the Czech League. Egos are powerful, but if Malek ever wants to play as a starter in the NHL, he might have to play a little in the AHL. If he plays well, he will be in the NHL shortly. If not, he can go back knowing he gave it a shot.

PF
01-25-2004, 11:26 AM
All this talk of our european prospects in this thread and another got me thinking and I seem to remember somewhere along the lines Malek saying he regretted not signing a contract in the offseason...perhaps there's hope yet. I can't remember where I saw the article though, I'll have a look for it.

V for Voodoo
01-25-2004, 12:47 PM
All this talk of our european prospects in this thread and another got me thinking and I seem to remember somewhere along the lines Malek saying he regretted not signing a contract in the offseason...perhaps there's hope yet. I can't remember where I saw the article though, I'll have a look for it.
I can confirm this. It wasn't two weeks later when he stated he regretted the decision.
I'm sure we'll see him in the AHL next year, pending that the Flyers are interested in bringing him over.

Anybody have his stats this year?

PF
01-25-2004, 01:04 PM
I can confirm this. It wasn't two weeks later when he stated he regretted the decision.
I'm sure we'll see him in the AHL next year, pending that the Flyers are interested in bringing him over.

Anybody have his stats this year?
Thanks, I've been searching for the article and couldn't find it so it's nice to know I'm not going mad. I've been searching for his stats but all I was able to find was this little snippet of info...

Malek was traded from 4th overall Slavia Praha to 13th placed (of 14 teams) HC Plzen, I'll keep looking for his stats though.

PF
01-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Found his numbers,

Tipsport extraliga - 03/04 HC Slavia Praha
GP: 23 (10-10-3)
GAA: 2.31
SO: 2
SV%: 92.06

Tipsport extraliga - 03/04 HC Lasselsberger Plzeň
GP:7 (3-3-1)
GAA: 1.98
SO: 1
SV%: 95.25

endacka
01-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Malek was not happy with his trade to Plzen at all. He lost his no.1 position in Slavia, but he wanted to stay there, his numbers were not that bad. I have seen him several times this season and I must say that he is not hte goalie he used to be last year, not that confident, allowed some cheap goals.
I still consider him as one of the Extraleagues best goalies but in my opinion, unless he gain his confidence back, he has no chance becoming no.1 NHL goalie.

Dr Love
01-28-2004, 07:55 PM
IIRC, Malek didn't say that he didn't want to play in the AHL. He just wanted a one way contract. Personally, I can't fault the guy, if I were to move halfway around the world to a new country and a new culture, I sure as hell would want all the money I could get out of my employer for my troubles.