AJHL vs. BCHL

Buffalo87
02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't know a whole lot about these leagues so I'm mostly looking for some info and looking to see how they compare to each other.

If I understand correctly, a lot of players play in these leagues because it preserves their college eligibility while still allowing them to play junior hockey. Are there any other junior leagues at the same level as the AJHL and BCHL?

Is either league necessarily better than the other?
Are there differences in style (such as WHL compared to OHL)?

Redwingsfan
02-05-2008, 05:03 PM
the OPJHL is about the same level i think..

WesternCollegeHockey
02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
My observations from seeing the guys they send to college...

I think the BCHL is more of a wide-open, skilled league. They have more flashy offensive players. The AJHL seems like a tougher, more gritty league.

I think overall, the BCHL is a little stronger than the AJHL. Both have produced some great players. The BCHL has Paul Kariya, Brendan Morrison, and Kyle Turris. The AJHL has Dany Heatley and Mike Comrie.

NativeHockey77*
02-05-2008, 05:48 PM
BCHL is the best Jr.A league in Canada, it has the most players drafted out of that league than any other Jr.A league in Canada....nuff said ;)

BerSTUzzi
02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
It seems pretty even overall this season. As there were trades between teams in both leagues and the players seems to not miss a beat in either league.

Vyse64
02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
BCHL kicks the AJHL's ass in terms of talent

fong p88
02-05-2008, 06:55 PM
BCHL is the best Jr.A league in Canada, it has the most players drafted out of that league than any other Jr.A league in Canada....nuff said ;)

Drafted players mean nothing in terms of league talent, the AJHL seems to have a couple of good teams but not a lot of depth, same goes for the BCHL and OPHL. The SJHL on the other hand is the opposite, top to bottom of good teams but no one is really head and shoulders above the other. (Humboldt is an exception but in the games I've seen them play this year they didn't look unbeatable).

Teams like Burnaby, Nanaimo, Camrose and Aurora always seem to be at the top of their respective leagues. While the SJHL you can see anyone at the top in various years. However I would rank them:

BCHL
AJHL
OPJHL
SJHL

I don't know enough about the other leagues so I can't really comment but from what I've hear the Maritime Junior Hockey League is pretty good as well.

Also a note the SJHL has only the third coach in hockey to record 1000 wins at any level. Dwight McMillan of the Weyburn Red Wings (after Scotty Bowman and Brian Kilrea respectively)

Ian Esplen
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
bchl is probley a bit better, there kids tend to get picked ahead of the other leagues kids, some of the guys they've turned out are brett hull, karyia, turris, zajac, gomez, morrison

last year they had 7 guys picked(2 1st's and 4 in the top 100)
in the last 14 drafts (1993 the cjhl was formed between all leagues) 137 players have been picked- 65 of those have come from the bchl.

all the players that come out off any of these leagues ushally go this route for 2 reasons. 1 to play college hockey or 2 because there a little small for the chl game and need a little longer to bulk up(turris was like 6"1 155 last year, he would have been killed by some of the D in the league)

another league you could throw in with all the cjhl teams are the ushl teams

NativeHockey77*
02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
bchl is probley a bit better, there kids tend to get picked ahead of the other leagues kids, some of the guys they've turned out are brett hull, karyia, turris, zajac, gomez, morrison

last year they had 7 guys picked(2 1st's and 4 in the top 100)
in the last 14 drafts (1993 the cjhl was formed between all leagues) 137 players have been picked- 65 of those have come from the bchl.

all the players that come out off any of these leagues ushally go this route for 2 reasons. 1 to play college hockey or 2 because there a little small for the chl game and need a little longer to bulk up(turris was like 6"1 155 last year, he would have been killed by some of the D in the league)

another league you could throw in with all the cjhl teams are the ushl teams

USHL is considered MAjor Junior in the USA, NAHL is Junior A in the USA, but BCHL teams are better than the NAHL teams but not as good as USHL teams....players come from the USHL into the BCHL lots and in the USHL they produced very little but produced okay in the BCHL.....YOU kno what i mean ;)

Buffalo87
02-06-2008, 02:47 AM
Who are the top prospects for this years draft from those the AJHL and BCHL? I know the obvious Joe Colborne from the AJHL, and I believe Tyler Gron is also eligible this year, any others?

Buffalo87
02-06-2008, 02:51 AM
So basically what I gather is:

Canada

CHL
BCHL
AJHL
OPJHL

USA
USHL
NAHL

And all of these leagues allow you to go to college after playing in them with the exeption of the CHL, correct?

I don't typically pay attention to leagues as much as I do just reading up on players so pardon my being uninformed, but do the OPJHL or NAHL produce many NHL caliber players?

NativeHockey77*
02-06-2008, 02:58 AM

Canada

CHL
BCHL
AJHL
OPJHL

USA
USHL
NAHL

And all of these leagues allow you to go to college after playing in them with the exeption of the CHL, correct?

I don't typically pay attention to leagues as much as I do just reading up on players so pardon my being uninformed, but do the OPJHL or NAHL produce many NHL caliber players?

Correct me if Im wrong but Robbie Schremp started in the OPJHL at 15 years old?? but anyway Phil Kessel, and Pat Kane to name a few started out as 16 year olds in the NAHL, but if you dont move up to the USHL by 17 then your probably not makin the big show....and other Jr.A leagues other than the BCHL & Ajhl the NHL players they develop are like the players who start out as 16 year olds THEN move up the ranks..... :thumbu:

Form and Substance
the BCHL seems to produce some higher end talents.

I'd rank them

BCHL
AJHL
OPJHL
SJHL
QAJHL (underrated junior a league)

Adam91
Each province in Canada has its own jr.A league - provided that the players playing in the leagues havent played in the CHL, they are all NCAA eligible.

The Canadian Jr.A leagues mentioned are the strongest ones but there is I beleive 3 leagues in Ontario, 1 in Quebec aswell as the Maritime jrA league - probably the weakest of them all

The Exiled One
02-06-2008, 11:44 AM

Canada

CHL
BCHL
AJHL
OPJHL

USA
USHL
NAHL

I'll combine them for you, the US leagues are in bold...

Tier 1 - OHL/WHL/QMJHL
Tier 1A - USHL
Tier 2A - AJHL/BCHL/CJHL/LHJAAAQ/MJHL/MJAHL/NAHL/NOJHL/OPJHL/SIJHL/SJHL
Tier 2B - There are at least 21 that fall into this category (Canada)
Tier 3A - EJHL/AJHL/Many Others (USA)

Canada's Tier 2B and USA's Tier 3A are about on par. Within each junior category, league skill levels can vary wildly.

fong p88
02-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Tier 1 - OHL/WHL/QMJHL
Tier 1A - USHL

Canada's Tier 2B and USA's Tier 3A are about on par. Within each junior category, league skill levels can vary wildly.

Are you counting Tier 2B as Canadian Jr. B? If so it should be well behind teh EJHL.

Joe Hallenback
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
In terms of players for the draft the BCHL produces the most but to say its the best league in terms of skill is well absurd

I would consider the BCHL,AJHL,SJHL and OPJHL to be pretty even with the other Juniour A circuits just slightly behind

The Exiled One
02-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Are you counting Tier 2B as Canadian Jr. B? If so it should be well behind teh EJHL.
Yes, but the EJHL describes THEMSELVES as Tier 3A. If they were my categories, I'd have put them with the NAHL in Tier 2A.

Canadian Junior Hockey Leagues (http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Turf/7664/lcanjr.html)
USA Junior Hockey Leagues (http://www.usajuniorhockey.com/jrleagues.asp)

Louiss
02-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Here is how I would rank the Canadian JrA hockey league in terms of caliber of play (not potential cause some leagues are younger than others.

BCHL (BC)
AJHL (alberta)
SJHL (Saskatchewan
OPJHL (Ontario centre)
MJAHL (maritimes)
LHJAAAQ (quebec)
CJHL (Ontario East)
NOJHL (Ontario North)
MJHL (Manitoba)
SIJHL (Thunder Bay and areas)
GMJAHL (non federate JrA hockey league that is weaker than JrC)

derbyfan
02-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Here is how I would rank the Canadian JrA hockey league in terms of caliber of play (not potential cause some leagues are younger than others.

BCHL (BC)
AJHL (alberta)
SJHL (Saskatchewan
OPJHL (Ontario centre)
MJAHL (maritimes)
LHJAAAQ (quebec)
CJHL (Ontario East)
NOJHL (Ontario North)
MJHL (Manitoba)
SIJHL (Thunder Bay and areas)
GMJAHL (non federate JrA hockey league that is weaker than JrC)

I pretty much agree with this. The BCHL and AJHL are the top loops, although I think the BCHL has a bit more depth. Camrose has been a real powerhouse over the past few years though. The OPJHL has some very good top-end teams that could win the Royal Bank Cup, and in my opinion could even beat some of the weaker teams of the OHL as well (ie Sudbury, Erie this year).
Problem with the OPJHL is depth - way too many teams. Some very, very weak clubs that have no business being called Jr. "A". So you'll see top clubs with some inflated records due to soft competition.
The Junior "B" loops in Southern Ontario have some great hockey, but aren't nearly as strong as they used to be. Just too many Junior A teams around now that seriously dilute the talent pool.

wings5
02-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I'd say the BCHL has the better talent of the two.

5mn Major
02-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Canada

CHL
BCHL
AJHL
OPJHL

USA
USHL
NAHL

This is largely validated by the number of D1 NCAA recruits from each league...as with the exception of the CHL itself, these are less frequently CHL feeders. You can see where the quality and quantity of D1 schools are recruiting their players from...and that gives you a very good indication of league strength. Your order is pretty accurate.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pq-RP3oulY40QD4LEtZ3kFg&gid=0

Note: Quality is indicated by WCHA schools like Minnesota, UND, Wisconsin, Colorado College, St Cloud...CCHA schools like Michigan, Michigan State, Miami...Hockey East schools like Boston College, Boston University, New Hampshire...and perhaps Cornell.

deanosaur
02-18-2008, 01:24 AM

Tier 1 - OHL/WHL/QMJHL
Tier 1A - USHL

in terms of league wise this guy has it right on.
as for skill wise in the league ill have to admit bchl has it.
take a look at these states for the leading scorer in the mjhl.

dauphin kings-bryan kauk 57 gp 48g 78a 126pts. 2.21ptspg.

2nd in the league.
selkirk- adam pleskach 58 gp 50g 54a 104pts 1.79 ptspg.

safe to say kauk might be leading canadian junior 'A' hockey league (cjahl) overall in scoring across canada by about 20 pts from what ive seen. (by the way the canadian junior 'a' is does not include whl ohl and qmjhl that would be the canadian hockey league (CHL)

just another player in the mjhl
5th in league scoring.
winnipeg-mathew gingera 58g 60g 97pts 1.67 ptspg.
over a goal game not many players pull that one off.

deanosaur
02-18-2008, 01:28 AM
and yes theres ahuge difference between for whl and ohl.
im probabably gonna get riped for this one but its true
youll never see a player get 150 pts in the whl as easy as they do it in ohl. the whl is too physical and defensive. theres more focus on defense in the whl than the ohl. but the ohl really shows their offense output just look at the stats for yourself.
tavares, stamkos, mclean all those guys wouldnt be getting the amount of points they get in the ohl if they played in the whl. theyre skilled players but playing in the whl they wouldnt put up the same offensive numbers.

gorrillaunit18
02-18-2008, 01:33 AM
Most EJHL teams beat NAHL teams when they play. The EJHL is actually a LOT better than people think. Good talented league, not much fighting at all. (hence the face shields).

40oz
02-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Including: Messier, Heatly, Reinprect, Commodore, Upshall, Souray, Hartnell, Redden, Phillips, Comrie.....
http://www.ajhl.ca/alumni/Alumni_July-05.pdf

derbyfan
02-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Most EJHL teams beat NAHL teams when they play. The EJHL is actually a LOT better than people think. Good talented league, not much fighting at all. (hence the face shields).

What are you basing this on? The NAHL held a showcase tourney against the EJHL a couple of years ago and won a good majority of the games... I believe it was about 75% or something along those lines. Have they played any significant games since?

As for the NAHL vs. the OPJHL, the NAHL used to spank the OPJHL in most tournament games they'd play (blowouts in most cases). The Compuware Showcase would see "O" teams consistantly lose big, and Texas rolled through the field at the Newmarket Showcase a couple of years in a row. Mind you, the Newmarket tournament usually features mid-to-bottom OPJHL squads and not the top teams.
From what I understand though the NAHL has been decimated the past few seasons with players going USHL instead, so it sounds as though they're quite a bit weaker these days.