NHL fines Flyers for Hextall Night

MiamiScreamingEagles
02-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Oh, this should be an interesting thread...

http://www.delcotimes.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/Daily?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FDCT%2FSports&r21.content=%2FDCT%2FSports%2FTopStoryList_Story_1 594047

MONTREAL — Fourteen minutes. That’s the amount of time the NHL begrudged the Philadelphia Flyers for doing something nice for their fans.

Those 14 minutes cost the Flyers $25,000. So much for making the game more fan friendly.

On Feb. 6, the Flyers held “Ron Hextall Night” at a game with the Washington Capitals at Wachovia Center. They were honoring their longtime goaltender by placing him into the team’s Hall of Fame.

Usually, the ceremony honoring a former player, coach, or executive takes place before the game is set to begin.

ForsbergIsOdin
02-15-2008, 11:15 PM
what the ****?

El Dandy
02-15-2008, 11:21 PM
What in the hell is wrong with them.

The NHL is racist.

ORANGE POWER!

hotshot26
02-15-2008, 11:22 PM
**** buttman. i hate that little ****

Lab Monkey
02-15-2008, 11:23 PM
*** is up with the NHL bunch of twats... jesus. ill join El Dandy here, ORANGE POWER!

BenIgnorant
02-15-2008, 11:24 PM
They had a 14 minute extra long 1st period intermission? So it was a 30 minute long intermission? Every team knows these rules, they can either avoid them or pay the price. Don't get the article.

McNasty
02-15-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm sure they knew this was coming and frankly they can afford it. It was worth it to properly honor Hexy.

GKJ
02-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Like I keep saying, how much can they fine the company who is giving them their television contract?

It's white noise.

Amateur Hour
02-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Hextall > $25,000 fine

GoneFullHolmgren
02-16-2008, 12:05 AM
******* up tight NHL.
I hope the next time they honor someone they run long again. just tell the NHL **** you.

Carlos Ranger
02-16-2008, 12:17 AM
That is ridiculous.

but I believe this stupid rule came from the very long Messier night we had last year, so apologies from the rangers.:sarcasm:

TheKingPin
02-16-2008, 12:23 AM
**** that ****

BringBackStevens
02-16-2008, 12:29 AM
This is funny. Nice try NHL

markzab
02-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Sad...

canucksfan
02-16-2008, 12:36 AM
It's pretty sad when the league chooses to crap on their history. Also, they were doing it for the fans as well. So basically history of the game and the fans aren't important to them.

Maybe it's because the league doesn't like Hextall because he's too violent for the 'new' NHL.

What a joke.

markzab
02-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I posted it on the main board. You know it's bad when other teams are agreeing it was a stupid thing to do...even against the Flyers. ;)

FlyHigh
02-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh my god, I'm sure the Flyers knew this would be coming, but my god, how much does the NHL have its own head shoved up its collective ass? I mean, have they hit the upper intestine yet?

Can you imagine the NBA fining the Bulls for honoring MJ or the MLB fining the Giants for honoring Willie Mays?

The state of the league is beyond pathetic. It's a damn shame that my 2 favorite leagues (NHL and EPL) are run by complete and total morons.

markzab
02-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Someone hit it right on the button on the main board thread. They basically said that the 25k was going to hurt the Flyers a lot less than the negative publicity would hurt the league.

backs4mvp
02-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Far from a flyers fan, but..

Stupid move by the NHL, a warning would of been enough, it's a slap in the face, the amount of money is irrelevant.

Hextall owns :madfire:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zm0VDV5ymmk
First couple of seconds is all that matters :monkey:
Posted on the main board about this subject, but I just had to post it here as well

Ex Storm
02-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Nothing but a joke.

Chainsaw
02-16-2008, 03:01 AM
No Class

noodleboy*
02-16-2008, 03:41 AM
Hextall should slash Bettman across the face with a crowbar.

CanadianFlyer88
02-16-2008, 04:20 AM
I agree with socraticirony

Hextall > $25,000

Antropovsky
02-16-2008, 04:21 AM
Why wasn't Hextall honored prior to the game, like every other team that has honored a player? If its in the rule book, its in the rule book.....regardless of how classless it is, if you make an exception once, than other teams aren't going to abide by the rules also, its not classless its policing IMO.

I think you also have to take into consideration the fact that Philly is essentially the only rebelious team in the league. If any team, Philly is the organization that needs to be disciplined. Clarke and Company were more than likely fully aware of the rule, and intentionally shunned it. No doubt in my mind that the behaviour (along with the other ones early this season) is nothing more than a attempt to revive the "Broad Street Bully" reputation. Although its not surprising, you fans seem to revel in the thought of your team being "Bad Ass". I am not saying it's a bad thing, IMO its good for hockey, its entertainment, but I think the revival attempt is definitely there.

philly_28
02-16-2008, 05:39 AM
******* up tight NHL.
I hope the next time they honor someone they run long again. just tell the NHL **** you.

I'm pretty sure that's what happened here. League told the flyers they would be fined in advance and Holmgren told them to **** themselves. Fine is pathetic but who cares? Flyers can afford it the league looks like a jerk. I like that.

FrederickFlyer27
02-16-2008, 06:52 AM
haha what a JOKE!!!!
snider, homer and clarke don't give a ****!
haha stupid nhl, the FLYERS are laughing at YOU!

wow, the nhl keeps sinking lower and lower...

MsWoof
02-16-2008, 07:42 AM
When other teams honour past players, do they hold the ceremony before game time or at the beginning? If this was only 14 minutes, it's ridiculous.

kingjdv
02-16-2008, 08:05 AM
When Hextall scored against the Bruins...the Refs gave the Flyers a too many men on the ice penalty because the team came out on the ice to celebrate a history making event with their teammate.

So actually it's quite fitting for the NHL.

kootenayfan
02-16-2008, 08:06 AM
It's pretty sad when the league chooses to crap on their history. Also, they were doing it for the fans as well. So basically history of the game and the fans aren't important to them.

Maybe it's because the league doesn't like Hextall because he's too violent for the 'new' NHL.

What a joke.

It is a joke, but iam sure not surprised..Bettman seems to dislike honoring anything that happened in the league before he came onboard. I have said it hundreds of times, this guy is destroying the great game of hockey!

jb**
02-16-2008, 08:17 AM
they did it on purpose to tell the nhl to piss off, they coul dhave did it before the game but instead took this route,

JXC
02-16-2008, 08:19 AM
No event truly honors Ron Hextall if it doesn't include disciplinary action by the league. Even in retirement, Hexy's a rogue.

Jules801
02-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Ya know, I don't think having the ceremony in the 2st intermission had anything to do with the Flyers wanting to be "rebellious" or to further that "image". I think the Flyers understand that many fans just make it to the arena on a weekday night for a 7:00 game and that if they held it before - many would miss it. And after the game? C'mon who does that.

Kudos to the Flyers organ-eye-zation for putting their fans before a minimal fine I'm sure they knew they were going to get. :handclap:

BillyShoe1721
02-16-2008, 08:49 AM
assh0les!

indypace78
02-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Gee, I remember when the games started @ 8:05 PM...

Why couldn't the game be moved to 7:30??

I didn't like the in between periods ceremony time..
I thought it should be pre-game...

But the NHL knew it, the Flyers knew it..
$25,000.00..? JOKE... and the Flyers said basically GO to HEXX.. haha

GKJ
02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Why wasn't Hextall honored prior to the game, like every other team that has honored a player? If its in the rule book, its in the rule book.....regardless of how classless it is, if you make an exception once, than other teams aren't going to abide by the rules also, its not classless its policing IMO.

I think you also have to take into consideration the fact that Philly is essentially the only rebelious team in the league. If any team, Philly is the organization that needs to be disciplined. Clarke and Company were more than likely fully aware of the rule, and intentionally shunned it. No doubt in my mind that the behaviour (along with the other ones early this season) is nothing more than a attempt to revive the "Broad Street Bully" reputation. Although its not surprising, you fans seem to revel in the thought of your team being "Bad Ass". I am not saying it's a bad thing, IMO its good for hockey, its entertainment, but I think the revival attempt is definitely there.

There's a good reason why the Flyers did it this way.

They don't care.

claude boivin lives
02-16-2008, 10:29 AM
I think you also have to take into consideration the fact that Philly is essentially the only rebelious team in the league. If any team, Philly is the organization that needs to be disciplined. Clarke and Company were more than likely fully aware of the rule, and intentionally shunned it. No doubt in my mind that the behaviour (along with the other ones early this season) is nothing more than a attempt to revive the "Broad Street Bully" reputation.
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thanks...I haven't laughed that hard in a couple of days. :thumbu:

Silly Maple Laffs fans.

scottymac223
02-16-2008, 10:30 AM
It's white noise.

Agreed completely. Non issue.

Richards eats souls*
02-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Unbelievable.

scottymac223
02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Ed Snider will not be pushed around. He probably pulled 50 grand out of his pocket used 25 to pay the fine and then lit the other 25 on fire and shoved the flaming wad up Bettman's butt. The sad part is Gary probably enjoyed the 2nd 25 grand more.

Ex Storm
02-16-2008, 10:37 AM

:biglaugh:

If you read the ****ing article like everyone else you'd get a fairly reasonable explanation as to why it was done during the intermission.

FlyHigh
02-16-2008, 10:41 AM
:biglaugh:

If you read the ****ing article like everyone else you'd get a fairly reasonable explanation as to why it was done during the intermission.

You're asking Leaf fans to read there Storm, not exactly their greatest skill. I'm surprised that some of them have figured out the Internets.

Roger's Pancreas*
02-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Why wasn't Hextall honored prior to the game, like every other team that has honored a player? If its in the rule book, its in the rule book.....regardless of how classless it is, if you make an exception once, than other teams aren't going to abide by the rules also, its not classless its policing IMO. Did you read the article at all? The reason the Flyers did it during the first intermission is because the half hour the games have been moved up (from 1930 to 1900) makes it difficult to be in their seats early. So instead of honoring a Flyers legend in front of a half empty arena, they decided to tough it out, and give Hextall the respect he deserved. They held it during the first intermission when the arena would be full.

mm6492
02-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Ed Snider will not be pushed around. He probably pulled 50 grand out of his pocket used 25 to pay the fine and then lit the other 25 on fire and shoved the flaming wad up Bettman's butt. The sad part is Gary probably enjoyed the 2nd 25 grand more.

haha

this is stupid. money doesnt matter to us def. in those petty amounts

Guillemin
02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
They should have gotten permission from the league. Explain the situation beforehand. The league reacted in a knee-jerk fashion because they had no idea what was going on.

There are rules. You break the rules, you get fined. Call it the price for honouring one of your greats, a price I'm sure the Flyers will gladly pay.

ForsbergIsOdin
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM

**** yea you mother ****er

flyguy1234*
02-16-2008, 11:02 AM
It's agaisnt the rules and the Flyers knew that, so they got fined. Not a big deal.

grateful1031
02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Games during the week should start at 7:30, not 7:00... people need to work so they can afford the tickets

BringBackStevens
02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Games during the week should start at 7:30, not 7:00... people need to work so they can afford the tickets

I agree. Does anyone know why the games start at 7:00? They are done super early anyway, the 7:30 start time was much better.

Strong and Free
02-16-2008, 11:10 AM
If the fans really cared enough to see Hex honoured they would have went out of their way to ensure they were there early thus negating the half empty arena theory. Adding to the time of an intermission was just silly on the Flyers part if you ask me. I'm wondering if the Caps weren't told of the situation and were all set to come back on the ice, only to be told they had to hold on. This disruption in their routine would be a little frustrating. I think the league just wanted to make sure this doesn't happen down the road with other teams. Could you imagine if the Messier 50+ minute ceremony had taken place at intermission?

Just my $0.02

Roger's Pancreas*
02-16-2008, 11:19 AM
If the fans really cared enough to see Hex honoured they would have went out of their way to ensure they were there early thus negating the half empty arena theory.If it can't be done without a fair amount of planning, 19,500 people aren't going to do it. Keep that in mind before you go suggesting some Star Wars fanatic bull ****.Adding to the time of an intermission was just silly on the Flyers part if you ask me. I'm wondering if the Caps weren't told of the situation and were all set to come back on the ice, only to be told they had to hold on. This disruption in their routine would be a little frustrating. I think the league just wanted to make sure this doesn't happen down the road with other teams. Could you imagine if the Messier 50+ minute ceremony had taken place at intermission?

Just my $0.02Could you imagine fining a team 25,000 dollars for having an intermision last an additional 14 minutes? Makes me wonder why they don't just start fining teams who suffer power outages, when you know the fans aren't having any fun.

SUBdrewgANS
02-16-2008, 11:21 AM
thats pretty ****ing ridiculous.. wow..

flyguy1234*
02-16-2008, 11:40 AM
But remember...Bettman cares about the fans!!

Valhoun*
02-16-2008, 11:41 AM
So basically by syaing that they don't care means they don't have to follow the same rules everyone else does? I think the fine was ********, but everyone knows the rules. A warning would have been enough.

No, they have to follow the rules. They just don't care. If 25k is the going rate to ignore Bettman, then so be it. Teams have a choice. Obey the rule or suffer the consequence. In this case, the consequence is pitifully small. So, why follow the rule?

flyersfan97
02-16-2008, 12:01 PM
If ever there was a thread that was screaming for Brash's picture, this one is it.

Hextall > $25,000 fine

Abso-freakin'-lutely. The sad part is, I bet he feels bad about it.

When Hextall scored against the Bruins...the Refs gave the Flyers a too many men on the ice penalty because the team came out on the ice to celebrate a history making event with their teammate.

So actually it's quite fitting for the NHL.

Are you freakin' kidding me? I have never heard this before, but why am I not surprised.

No event truly honors Ron Hextall if it doesn't include disciplinary action by the league. Even in retirement, Hexy's a rogue.

Well said. :handclap:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I find this utterly ridiculous. Is this league for the fans or not? (Obviously a rhetorical question). Honestly, this is just another reason in the never-ending list of why I am proud to be a Flyers fan. The Flyers organ-eye-zation (;) to Jules) choose to put what their fans needed and wanted above league rules...good for them. They should be rewarded for this, not chastized.

Now, the Flyers team needs to respond to this ridiculous action by coming out tonight and kicking some Canadian-butt. :)

DCL72
02-16-2008, 12:04 PM
That is ridiculous.

but I believe this stupid rule came from the very long Messier night we had last year, so apologies from the rangers.:sarcasm:

It was actually Ken Dryden jersey's retirement that spurred this rule. Anyone whose ever heard Dryden speaks knows it's a baaaaaadd idea to give him an open mic, and no time limit.

Habs got fined this year when Larry Robinson's jersey ceremony went overtime as well by a few minutes. (it was going smoothly, until Robinson decided he wanted to shake hands with each player on both teams)

That being said, the Habs (Robinson) and Flyers (Hextall) were aware of the rule, so it's hard to feel much sympathy for them.

flyersfan97
02-16-2008, 12:09 PM
It was actually Ken Dryden jersey's retirement that spurred this rule. Anyone whose ever heard Dryden speaks knows it's a baaaaaadd idea to give him an open mic, and no time limit.

Habs got fined this year when Larry Robinson's jersey ceremony went overtime as well by a few minutes. (it was going smoothly, until Robinson decided he wanted to shake hands with each player on both teams)

That being said, the Habs (Robinson) and Flyers (Hextall) were aware of the rule, so it's hard to feel much sympathy for them.

We're not looking for, nor do we want, sympathy. Personally, this is just another example where I could care less what outsiders feel about the Flyers organization. The Flyers did what was best for their fans--'nuff said.

JXC
02-16-2008, 12:17 PM
You're asking Leaf fans to read there Storm, not exactly their greatest skill. I'm surprised that some of them have figured out the Internets.YEAH!!!! :handclap:

Busted!

phlocky
02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Honestly, i dont see this as that big of a deal. $25 grand for Snider and comcast is like a single drop in lake erie. Like GKJ said, the NHL isn't going to come down too hard on the hand that feeds them (Snider and his VS channel TV contract with the NHL). The 1st intermission wasnt an extra 14 minutes ling, that's just how long it took for Hexy's cerimony. That just meant that they didn't have the little kids play a 5 minute exhibition game between periods. However, they still needed to get the ice resurfaced and time ot refreeze so the actualy time was closer to 22 mins i think. We took an extra 8 mins and though this may seem like no big deal, the league doesn't want to get into the habit of delaying the games like this. I can see the leagues point even if i dont agree with it. I'm just proud of the fact that the Flyers organization (Snider in particular) has the money to laugh at such a fine and we can thumb our collective noses at the league for being so petty. Here's to bucking authority. :cheers:

Raffl House
02-16-2008, 12:32 PM
This is awful by the NHL...they act like they are a major sport and do bonehead **** like this...truly pathetic on their part. I bet when they asked for the fine money, Snider took 50k out of his sock and said keep the change, you ****.

MiamiScreamingEagles
02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
We're not looking for, nor do we want, sympathy. Personally, this is just another example where I could care less what outsiders feel about the Flyers organization. The Flyers did what was best for their fans--'nuff said.

I came across a Dryden-penned book this week. I read some of the comments about the Flyers. Um, Miss Teacher, come up with an antonym for "flattering" and you get the idea.

And as an aside, you didn't think the Loverboy video was cheesy? :D

GoneFullHolmgren
02-16-2008, 12:50 PM

sympathy? really? Flyer fans looking for sympathy? lol@ that
We dont need sympathy, we are just trying to point out what a stupid,gay retarted rule this is. But in the end the Flyers knew they were probbaly gonna get fined. Snider probably had the check in his desk with Buttholes name on it ready to send out after the game.

Backstrom #19
02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
thats pretty ****ing ridiculous.. wow..

How is it ridiculous? They punished a team who broke the rules. That seems fair to me.

cisfan
02-16-2008, 01:09 PM
When other teams honour past players, do they hold the ceremony before game time or at the beginning? If this was only 14 minutes, it's ridiculous.

Yes but those teams have been given the green light by the league.

MountainHawk
02-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I've been at many many games where the home team comes out for an intermission late. Hell, I've been at games where the refs were late.

This is idiotic of the NHL, and incredibly whiny of the Capitals, who WERE notified ahead of time. I had been rooting for them, but if the Caps are going to act like a bunch of Crosbys, **** em. I hope Atlanta wins the divison.

bbfan1972
02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Bettman will destroy this league! I think all he's doing is p***ing off the owners who are his boss in the end. I'm sorry that the ceremony had this attached to it as Hextall was always fun to watch because you never knew what was gonna happen.

I just hope that the owners fire Bettman and find someone who actually loves the game!

FlyerSithLord
02-16-2008, 02:09 PM
What a trivial fine. God, I can't wait until the day Bettman is no longer NHL commissioner. Unfortunately, by the time that happens, the NHL will probably get as much U.S coverage as International Rugby.

Backstrom #19
02-16-2008, 02:18 PM
This is idiotic of the NHL, and incredibly whiny of the Capitals, who WERE notified ahead of time. I had been rooting for them, but if the Caps are going to act like a bunch of Crosbys, **** em. I hope Atlanta wins the divison.

The Capitalsí brass wasnít happy, and complained to the league. It didnít matter, though, because the league overseers in Toronto were already miffed when they noticed the game had not restarted at the time it should have.

Sounds to me like the NHL was going to do something even if the Caps didn't whine.

FlyerSithLord
02-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Sounds to me like the NHL was going to do something even if the Caps didn't whine.

they still whined

Arastiroth
02-16-2008, 02:33 PM
They should've gotten the OK from the league first. It's a dumb rule in some ways, but it is completely necessary in other ways. If they wanted a better time to do a pregame ceremony they should have found a better game to do the ceremony, although I know they wanted it in the middle so more fans could be there. If they want more fans to be there, though, do it on a weekend game and let the fans come early if they want to see the ceremony. If they care they will come a little early.

The NHL can't just let it go and not fine them. It wasn't even a slap on the wrist how light the penalty was -- more like a tap -- but they have to make sure they show it is not wanted. The Flyers were either completely ignorant of the situation, or more likely just didn't care. To be blunt, complaining because the Flyers got fined for something they knew they would be fined for is pointless.

pelts35.com
02-16-2008, 02:59 PM
As a fan, does it really matter that the multi-million dollar organization that is the Flyers got fined $25,000?

FlyerSithLord
02-16-2008, 03:21 PM
They should've gotten the OK from the league first. It's a dumb rule in some ways, but it is completely necessary in other ways. If they wanted a better time to do a pregame ceremony they should have found a better game to do the ceremony, although I know they wanted it in the middle so more fans could be there. If they want more fans to be there, though, do it on a weekend game and let the fans come early if they want to see the ceremony. If they care they will come a little early.

The point is some fans can't make it earlier. You also have to look at the fact that Hextall works for the LA Kings organization and we needed to find a date that worked with their schedule as well. I just want to know if fining a team for delaying a game/period is uniform standard.

Canad93
02-16-2008, 03:30 PM
oh no. not $25 000. that means they will have to raise the cost of drinks by 1 dollar for the next game to make up for it.

flyersfan97
02-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I came across a Dryden-penned book this week. I read some of the comments about the Flyers. Um, Miss Teacher, come up with an antonym for "flattering" and you get the idea.

And as an aside, you didn't think the Loverboy video was cheesy? :D

1-I love listening to the old timers comment on how much they "disliked" playing at the Spectrum. What do they call it? The Philadelphia Flu? Gotta love being "disliked." :naughty:

2-Of course it was cheesy, it was the 80's--just about everything in, from, and relating to the 80's is cheesy. :D

shamski7
02-16-2008, 04:12 PM
what?! you've got to be ****ing kidding me. did the caps complain or something?

cisfan
02-16-2008, 04:13 PM
what?! you've got to be ****ing kidding me. did the caps complain or something?

You can thank the flyers brass for this.

taipale*
02-16-2008, 04:16 PM
I bet there are plenty of teams that would love to pay the league 25 grand to have a personality like Hextall on the pages of their team history.

Plus the fine is so minimal it just doesn't even seem relevant that way - only fitting. Like someone said, couldn't have written a better way for him to get his final recognition. At least that's what I think, and I snickered that this news story. Maybe Bettman did the same when he decided to fine the Flyers. Good times.

shamski7
02-16-2008, 04:16 PM
You can thank the flyers brass for this.

whats that supposed to mean?

kingjdv
02-16-2008, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=flyersfan97;12541965]

Are you freakin' kidding me? I have never heard this before, but why am I not surprised.

3rd period boxscore courtesy of flyershistory.com

4 - PHI : Peter Zezel 9 (Scott Mellanby, Murray Craven) (PP) 5:38
5 - PHI : Peter Zezel 10 (Murray Craven, Mark Howe) (PP) 14:40
6 - PHI : Brian Propp 9 (EV) 17:33
7 - PHI : Ron Hextall 1 (EN) 18:48

Penalties - BOS - Larson (Slashing) 3:48 ; PHI - Rick Tocchet (Tripping) 9:10 ; BOS - Bourque (Hooking) 12:55 ; PHI - Bench (Delay of game - bench) 18:48 ; <----:shakehead

Nikkowar
02-16-2008, 04:51 PM
I needed a good laugh.

MiamiScreamingEagles
02-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree. Does anyone know why the games start at 7:00? They are done super early anyway, the 7:30 start time was much better.

Pure speculation on my part but I would think the extra half hour gives patrons a sense of spending their dining dollars outside the rink. With a 7:00 start, the paying customer gets to the rink earlier and spends money for drinks and food there. So, it is beneficial for the team to start earlier.

GKJ
02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I like the 7pm start times because I get home earlier. My work day starts between 6-8 am. And I like to sleep.

MojoJojo
02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Sriously, 25K is what we pay each game to have Gauthier not count against our cap. Its such small change to this team and to Comcast, the fine might as well not even exist. Basically the NHL shook its finger at Snyder and then raided his couch cushions for loose change.

MountainHawk
02-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Flyers should send a check for $27,027.27 with a note that says "Hexy says to take the extra and stick it up your ass."

bmitchelf
02-16-2008, 07:51 PM
It's a bit weird to have a ceremony during the middle of the game, seems to take away from the game more. Why couldn't they do it at 7:00 and push the game time back to 7:30. Most, if not all, of the games played in NJ and Florida start at 7:30, I believe, along with some Western teams. Anyway, I think fans could make it there on time one night out of the year for this ceremony. MSG was packed for Leetch Night which started at 6:30, and that building usually isn't even half-full by game time.

flyersfan97
02-16-2008, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=flyersfan97;12541965]

3rd period boxscore courtesy of flyershistory.com

4 - PHI : Peter Zezel 9 (Scott Mellanby, Murray Craven) (PP) 5:38
5 - PHI : Peter Zezel 10 (Murray Craven, Mark Howe) (PP) 14:40
6 - PHI : Brian Propp 9 (EV) 17:33
7 - PHI : Ron Hextall 1 (EN) 18:48

Penalties - BOS - Larson (Slashing) 3:48 ; PHI - Rick Tocchet (Tripping) 9:10 ; BOS - Bourque (Hooking) 12:55 ; PHI - Bench (Delay of game - bench) 18:48 ; <----:shakehead

That is ridiculous...but certainly a worthwhile penalty.

Flyers should send a check for $27,027.27 with a note that says "Hexy says to take the extra and stick it up your ass."

:thumbu:

BaseballCoach
02-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Hextall > $25,000 fine

Now Briere might be handed a fine as well, for shooting the puck into the stands after the game tonight.

joeman4
02-16-2008, 10:18 PM
This just in, They can't suspend Hextall, so they took Downie instead, He wears 27 after all, and someone had to pay

flyersfan97
02-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Now Briere might be handed a fine as well, for shooting the puck into the stands after the game tonight.

He can afford it, too!!!

Ex Storm
02-17-2008, 01:44 AM

I hope he cracked one of those "ole" singing right in the face with it.

Amateur Hour
02-17-2008, 02:00 AM

Meh... what's it gonna be? $5,000 at most? That would be 0.05% of his salary this season ($10 million).

BringBackStevens
02-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Singing ole with 10 minutes left like they won the game already... talk about condescending, over confident ******

pughater
02-17-2008, 10:04 AM
goes to show you the league and refs are after the flyers, goals when nets and goals are pushed, non suspensions for things the flyers did, fined for remembering someone who changed hockey history with fans watching. the league say they want to thank the fans and thats how they show it. we dont want you to honor your play or you to watch it. we dont want you to win and are going to screw you in any way possible. I hope bob clarke grabs hextalls vic and goes to slash the crap out of bettman the way hexy use to do

flyersfan97
02-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I hope he cracked one of those "ole" singing mother ****ers right in the face with it.

Ha-ha, me too.

And you think the Thrasher brass give 2 ***** about Hextall?

This doesn't even make sense besides the fact that it is irrelevant. Mountain was referring to the other "competition" in the So. East. Sheesh, did that really need to be explained to you?

BerubeBox*
02-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Sweet christ what a non-issue. The number of people complaining about the fine makes me feel ashamed. The ones sticking up for 'league rules and regulations' just to spite the former are pretty much par for the course on this forum.

That said, if the caps management really did complain about it through official channels, they're the real douches in this situation. It reflects on the whole team and makes them look petty and immature, like they despise Hexy and were rolling their eyes through the whole thing, which I'm sure they weren't.

If any team's management wanted to complain about it for consistency's sake, it should have come from a team that's already been fined for it.

JLHockeyKnight
02-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Whatever. The Flyers are pretty much owned by Comcast. This is chump changes when you look at the organization as a whole. Before the lockout, we had what, a $180 million salary budget. Now we're down to $50 million. So each year after the lockout, we have $130 million saved(and I know, I didn't factor in inflation, other costs, etc, work with me here). Do the math.

Edit: Boy are my numbers off.

Ends up our payroll was $65.1 million.

Amateur Hour
02-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Whatever. The Flyers are pretty much owned by Comcast. This is chump changes when you look at the organization as a whole. Before the lockout, we had what, a $180 million salary budget. Now we're down to $50 million. So each year after the lockout, we have $130 million saved(and I know, I didn't factor in inflation, other costs, etc, work with me here). Do the math.

Who are we, the ****ing Yankees? We had a high payroll (compared to the rest of the league), yes, but it didn't even approach HALF of $180 million.

Note: I don't know the team's exact salary budget pre-lockout, but I'm 3000% sure it wasn't $180 million.

BerubeBox*
02-17-2008, 12:47 PM
operating budget maybe?

mikedifr
02-17-2008, 01:01 PM
It is a joke, but iam sure not surprised..Bettman seems to dislike honoring anything that happened in the league before he came onboard. I have said it hundreds of times, this guy is destroying the great game of hockey!

If ever there was a thread that was screaming for Brash's picture, this one is it.

Abso-freakin'-lutely. The sad part is, I bet he feels bad about it.

Well said. :handclap:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I find this utterly ridiculous. Is this league for the fans or not? (Obviously a rhetorical question). Honestly, this is just another reason in the never-ending list of why I am proud to be a Flyers fan. The Flyers organ-eye-zation (;) to Jules) choose to put what their fans needed and wanted above league rules...good for them. They should be rewarded for this, not chastized.

Now, the Flyers team needs to respond to this ridiculous action by coming out tonight and kicking some Canadian-butt. :)

Bettman will destroy this league! I think all he's doing is p***ing off the owners who are his boss in the end. I'm sorry that the ceremony had this attached to it as Hextall was always fun to watch because you never knew what was gonna happen.

I just hope that the owners fire Bettman and find someone who actually loves the game!

We all know Buttman is ruining the league. This league went from increasing popularity in the early 90s with the likes of Lemieux, Gretzky, etc. still going strong, 23 100+ point scorers each year, increasing tv ratings, etc. to a game in which rules have to be changed each year in order to try and gain popularity, a handful of 100+ point scorers each year and a couple years where we had none, to one in which players barely respect each other, take ugly cheap shots against each other, and the league continues to **** up disciplinary rules and actions.

The horrible thing is, Buttman has made the league, and the owners, a lot of money over the past 15 years with all the exapansion, etc.

Money is all that matters and that is why we are going to have to live with Buttman unless everyone in the NHL grows some balls and realizes what a baffoon he really is.

I also find it no coincidence that once he left the NBA, their popularity went through the roof.

He was, is and always will be a greedy ****ing moron that is ruining, and unfortunatley most likely will completely ruin the great sport we all love.

CantSeeColors
02-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes. Why was he referring to "other competition" in the So. East?
You forgot to explain that part.
Because he no longer wants to back the Caps and picked a new team to pull for. How is this so difficult?

Pantokrator
02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Is it standard procedure to fine a team 25k for this, or was this the first time? As far as I know, this was a first time offense, it should have been a warning.

Either way, a team should be allowed to honor its own players by pretty much whatever means they want to. The league stepping in to such a trival matter makes me think of the NFL and its uniform policy, where they have a guy at the sidelines actually making sure everyone's uniform is just perfect. Yeah, it's a rule everyone to have their jersey just so, but is it actually good for the game to limit personality? In the same way, this might be a rule, but is it really a necessary rule, to dictate to a team how it wants to honor its players? Do fans like that? Are they not the consumer?

SeanCWombBroom
02-17-2008, 10:19 PM
I was at the game. It was worth 25 grand for the ceremony and to have the fans blow the pants off the stadium.

Just the "HEXTALL" chants alone were worth a fine. Snider had a long speech on the overhead about Hextall during the ceremony.

....and Paul Holgrem punched a ref.

Fines don't scare them and Snider is not a cheap guy.

I met him once and asked him how he felt about buying out LeClair (this was years ago) and he said he would always try to do what is best for the team and the fans.

:thumbu:

flyersfan97
02-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Who are we, the ****ing Yankees? We had a high payroll (compared to the rest of the league), yes, but it didn't even approach HALF of $180 million.

Note: I don't know the team's exact salary budget pre-lockout, but I'm 3000% sure it wasn't $180 million.

Don't even think such thoughts (we need a smile for puking). I'd rather go on a seven game losing streak then be compared to the Stanks. :sarcasm:

Because he no longer wants to back the Caps and picked a new team to pull for. How is this so difficult?

thank you

Perhaps because the team he's "pulling for" would have reacted the same way? And frankly I don't think the caps (or thrash) really care for his phantom allegiance.

Yeah, I agree, clearly they don't care about anyone's allegiance since they would have prefered to exclude a majority of fans from the ceremony. Bettter watch your own allegiance--you could be next.

JLHockeyKnight
02-18-2008, 10:10 AM

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=12558444&postcount=97

i am dave
02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I would prefer a return to a 7:30 start. I've been late to the start of a game twice this year due to traffic issues - most recently Thursday night when 476 was tied up from Mid-County to Route 1 due to an earlier overturned truck which had spilled its contents of cookies onto the roadway. I cannot leave work before 5:00 most nights, and I have to make the trip from Quakertown. That's just me though.

As for the "haters" in this thread - grasping for straws is what you are doing. $25,000 is a drop in the bucket, and it has nothing to do with "rebellious attitudes" from within the organization, or "bad fans" who can't show up on time (you'll have to excuse us if we have to contend with millions of commuters every day).

Hextall's ceremony was a classy addition to the night (with the exception of the fact that they apparently had Dave Poulin's bust and not Hextall's), and was reflective of how the organization and the fans have treated each other well for 41 seasons. Not to mention the fact that Hextall's speech was out-of-this-world on the Awesome Scale.

Anybody complaining about the fact that intermission went 14 minutes too long and that the Flyers organization are awful people for committing such an egregious offense need to understand what it's like to have real problems in life.

pughater
02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
the league will get the new comcast building dropped on them

pughater
02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
i hope they dont have a chris therian night