You may be an ATD'er if....

Diving Pokecheck*
02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
My attempt at humor. feel free to add your own observations.

... when visiting the Hall of Fame, you make sure to check out the exhibits featuring the pre-WWI players that you picked up in the last draft.

... you have actually made the argument that surviving influenza in 1918 will give a player more stamina for a playoff run.

... your opinion on the quality of PCHA hockey is well known throughout your household.

... When watching real hockey on TV, you have a tendency to shout, "That's my boy!" when a player or coach you hold the rights to appears on TV.

... you have pondered what kind of design a 1950's goaltender would have put on his mask had he played in the modern era.

... you often stop and ask yourself, 'who is really the 765th best hockey player of all time?'

... you pine for the creative names of old time NHL hockey. Where have "Hod", "Cyclone", "Bullet Joe", "Phat", "Dubbie", "Dit", and "Tiny" gone?

vancityluongo
02-16-2008, 01:46 PM
... When watching real hockey on TV, you have a tendency to shout, "That's my boy!" when a player or coach you hold the rights to appears on TV.

lol, I've actually done this. Not bad ADC. :thumbu:

seventieslord
02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
...you are constantly keeping a mental list in your head of players who might be your next pick.

Diving Pokecheck*
02-16-2008, 06:12 PM
... you strongly believe that 1920's goaltenders are underrated.

... you compare the play of your team's new rookie to that of Cy Denneny.

... you think that a 1940's New York Americans jersey would be the "dopest" thing ever.

... you were personally offended by the fact that Brian Rolston was picked in ATD #7.

VanIslander
02-16-2008, 09:52 PM
... you often stop and ask yourself, 'who is really the 765th best hockey player of all time?'...you are constantly keeping a mental list in your head of players who might be your next pick.
... you were personally offended by the fact that Brian Rolston was picked in ATD #7.
Absolutely!

And...

... you are upset that another g.m. stole your pick but more happy that the player got deserved recognition

... you no longer consider the 1950's to be the old era

... you start to consider a Master's degree in Hockey History as a career path

Hawkman
02-17-2008, 12:48 AM
You spend hours everyday working on your draft list for ATD #9 even though it's months away and you're going to let your Co-GM post the picks. I need :help: . ;)

vancityluongo
02-17-2008, 09:43 PM
-Your friend says "I'm playing 'GH' now," and you automatically think Gordie Howe, not Guitar Hero. :biglaugh:

raleh
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
-Your friend says "I'm playing 'GH' now," and you automatically think Gordie Howe, not Guitar Hero. :biglaugh:

BINGO

God Bless Canada
02-17-2008, 11:03 PM
You spend hours everyday working on your draft list for ATD #9 even though it's months away and you're going to let your Co-GM post the picks. I need :help: . ;)
Based on past timelines, ATD 9 will likely start in mid-March, giving us enough time to finish the draft and the playoffs before July 1.

Nalyd Psycho
02-18-2008, 04:41 AM
-You pass time testing yourself on who won the cup each year between 1915 & 2007.
-Quality time with the parents involves explaining the tragedy of Charlie Gardiner.
-Mild acquaintances know you as the hockey trivia guy.

ck26
02-18-2008, 05:44 AM
-You pass time testing yourself on who won the cup each year between 1915 & 2007.If you were a real ATD'er, it would be in your memory like your phone number and this exercise would be totally unneccessary.

During round 4 or so of ATD8, I had to go out of town over the weekend to save a relationship with a girl who had just moved ~five hours away. In fairness to me, I had already pretty much resigned that it was over anyway, but as I was leaving on one hour notice at 2am on a Saturday, I took the time to send my list to BM67.

Edit: I just looked it up. ATD8 thread 1, post #1086. I selected Tony Esposito and Busher Jackson.

Nalyd Psycho
02-18-2008, 06:33 AM
If you were a real ATD'er, it would be in your memory like your phone number and this exercise would be totally unneccessary.

I have most of it down, but the 40's can get me jumbled. I know it's two Habs, 2 Wings, 4 Leafs, one Bruins and one Rangers, but order gets jumbled.

raleh
02-18-2008, 12:29 PM
-You pass time testing yourself on who won the cup each year between 1915 & 2007.
-Quality time with the parents involves explaining the tragedy of Charlie Gardiner.
-Mild acquaintances know you as the hockey trivia guy.

I hate it when I'm called the hockey trivia guy. For some reason I feel like it's more than trivia. I prefer being called the hockey historian by mild acquaintances haha.

raleh
02-18-2008, 12:38 PM
If you were a real ATD'er, it would be in your memory like your phone number and this exercise would be totally unneccessary.

During round 4 or so of ATD8, I had to go out of town over the weekend to save a relationship with a girl who had just moved ~five hours away. In fairness to me, I had already pretty much resigned that it was over anyway, but as I was leaving on one hour notice at 2am on a Saturday, I took the time to send my list to BM67.

Edit: I just looked it up. ATD8 thread 1, post #1086. I selected Tony Esposito and Busher Jackson.

While we're playing this ATD story game: Between rounds 12 and 20 of ATD 5 I was at a training camp in Hawaii. Usually at these camps we work out two or three times a day and have TONS of free time just sitting around the hotel. There was no wireless connection though and no internet in the hotel. Every time I had to make a pick I had to walk 20 minutes to an internet cafe and pay for the full hour. One time I realized my time was up half way through a workout- I skipped out on the last set and cool down and ran back to the hotel, got my list, and then kept running to the internet cafe. My roommates thought I was completely insane. To top it all off GBC was picking right after me and I was always using my full window because I didn't want to pay if I didn't get to pick. Needless to say- he wasn't too impressed!

I like this game, I want to hear everyone's most ridiculous ATD story.

Diving Pokecheck*
02-18-2008, 01:33 PM
After Pavel Datsyuk, Brian Rafalski, and Harry Hyland were taken, I honestly had no idea who to pick. Not only that, I had just arrived home from school and had less then 15 minutes to make my pick.
I'm glad that I found Harry Trihey.

Hockey Outsider
02-18-2008, 05:59 PM

I took a trip to Ottawa with a few friends this past summer. I went for a jog around 4 am and ended up in Gatineau, Quebec. There's a large statue of Rocket Richard a block away from the Museum of Civilization. Recalling a move I made in ATD #7, I muttered to myself, "Sorry for trading you for Stan Mikita". Suddenly a few large, shady-looking characters appeared and demanded (en francais) why I traded their beloved icon for a lowly Hawk.

I wasn't exactly in the mood to explain what an ATD is, so I quickly jogged back to Ottawa.

God Bless Canada
02-18-2008, 06:15 PM
While we're playing this ATD story game: Between rounds 12 and 20 of ATD 5 I was at a training camp in Hawaii. Usually at these camps we work out two or three times a day and have TONS of free time just sitting around the hotel. There was no wireless connection though and no internet in the hotel. Every time I had to make a pick I had to walk 20 minutes to an internet cafe and pay for the full hour. One time I realized my time was up half way through a workout- I skipped out on the last set and cool down and ran back to the hotel, got my list, and then kept running to the internet cafe. My roommates thought I was completely insane. To top it all off GBC was picking right after me and I was always using my full window because I didn't want to pay if I didn't get to pick. Needless to say- he wasn't too impressed!

I remember picking behind you in ATD 5 and MLD 5. Not always a fun experience. I fixed the problem really well, though - I recruited you to be my co-GM.

Outside of working with raleh, the most fun I've had in this thing was my "trash talk" with Murphy. Of course, it was all in good fun - Murph and I had talked about it before once we found out we were in same division, and we kept everything clean. Ultimately, Murph had the last laugh when he thumped my team in the second round.

Stories. Nothing as good as VanI, raleh or ck. I'll admit: if I'm in Mexico, or Jamaica, or something to that effect, I won't be thinking ATD much. I might check in a couple times during the week. Just way too much time checking in on the draft when I should be working, reading about the latest pick when I should be doing a phone interview, etc. I do remember telling my Dad (in town from B.C.) I would be right with him while announcing the George Armstrong pick in the last draft. Hey, he was our captain.

MXD
02-19-2008, 07:55 AM
You muttered "My sympathy for the family" when you red that Bill Juzda passed away yesterday, at age 92.

VanIslander
02-19-2008, 08:03 AM
... you hear Juzda passed away yesterday and you immediately think "398 PIM in 398 games, two-time all-star gamer taken as the seventh d-man by Vancity and TC to sit on their Giants bench as the extra d... maybe he'll go higher the next time around"

Murphy
02-19-2008, 10:51 AM
I can remember having to travel during a time when my pick was up. I think I left a list with GBC and had my kid bring his laptop from school and kept bugging him every 1/2 hr to try and log on to see if the guy I wanted got selected for me.

I can rememeber another time coming home after two many beers one night and making a pick. Can't for the life of me remember who it was but the next morning I remember not being real impressed with myself lol.

I can also remember missing a pick because of stopping somewhere and getting into the beers unexpectedly and the guilt I felt for having to be skipped was unreal! I didn't care if the wife was unhappy with me, I cared more that my fellow draftee's were unhappy, lol.

Might be a clue in there as to why we're no longer together lol.

God Bless Canada
02-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I can remember having to travel during a time when my pick was up. I think I left a list with GBC and had my kid bring his laptop from school and kept bugging him every 1/2 hr to try and log on to see if the guy I wanted got selected for me.

I can rememeber another time coming home after two many beers one night and making a pick. Can't for the life of me remember who it was but the next morning I remember not being real impressed with myself lol.

I can also remember missing a pick because of stopping somewhere and getting into the beers unexpectedly and the guilt I felt for having to be skipped was unreal! I didn't care if the wife was unhappy with me, I cared more that my fellow draftee's were unhappy, lol.

Might be a clue in there as to why we're no longer together lol.
It's been a while since I made the crack about Murphy and his infamous "beer storm" from ATD 6. Long live the bars of Fort St. John, B.C. Probably the only time Murphy's ever been skipped.

Murph, how man times have I picked for you? Dozens? I remember in MLD 5 Murph sent me a list of seven guys who he wanted for mid-draft picks. He was going to drag racing nationals, and he didn't want to hold the process up. I think we probably thought we might get through three or four rounds. We got through seven. And he got all seven guys he wanted. And these weren't joke sentimental picks, either. ATD mainstays like Ted Green, Charlie Hodge and Jamie Langenbrunner were on that list. So was Ab McDonald, who finally cracked the ATD this time around.

Geez, that MLD 5 was fun. Looking back on that thing, it's amazing how many guys went for the first time. I was the first guy to pick players like Kenny Wharram and Dick Duff (the day BEFORE he went in the HHOF).

I think a lot of GMs have had a beer-induced pick moment. I'm not sure if I've ever picked when drunk - I've had picks where I've wished I was drunk, would have given me an excuse. pit has a really good (or really bad, depends on your perspective) "drunk while making a big ATD trade" story. I remember raleh admitted he was drinking when he picked Andreychuk in ATD 6. I marvelled that the dude could spell "Andreychuk" after a few.

VanIslander
02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
:teach: Kovalchuk as your Oilers' first line left winger in the main ATD6 back in 2006

(a better pick now, though still not a great main draft first liner in an all-time context).

Transplanted Caper
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
- if you're eagerly anticipating the start of the next ATD and have your team name and logo already picked out (for those who don't use the same name over).

raleh
02-19-2008, 08:47 PM
haha, I remember that night. I slept at a buddy's house and I remember sitting on his computer googling Dave Anderchuck and copying and pasting it. Then I went on to tell him that I had just drafted the steal of the draft saying "I just got a great RW from the oiler's dynasty years!" After a while he says "Rich, I think that guy's name was Anderson. I think you drafted that really slow guy that plays for Tampa..."

It's been a while since I made the crack about Murphy and his infamous "beer storm" from ATD 6. Long live the bars of Fort St. John, B.C. Probably the only time Murphy's ever been skipped.

Murph, how man times have I picked for you? Dozens? I remember in MLD 5 Murph sent me a list of seven guys who he wanted for mid-draft picks. He was going to drag racing nationals, and he didn't want to hold the process up. I think we probably thought we might get through three or four rounds. We got through seven. And he got all seven guys he wanted. And these weren't joke sentimental picks, either. ATD mainstays like Ted Green, Charlie Hodge and Jamie Langenbrunner were on that list. So was Ab McDonald, who finally cracked the ATD this time around.

Geez, that MLD 5 was fun. Looking back on that thing, it's amazing how many guys went for the first time. I was the first guy to pick players like Kenny Wharram and Dick Duff (the day BEFORE he went in the HHOF).

I think a lot of GMs have had a beer-induced pick moment. I'm not sure if I've ever picked when drunk - I've had picks where I've wished I was drunk, would have given me an excuse. pit has a really good (or really bad, depends on your perspective) "drunk while making a big ATD trade" story. I remember raleh admitted he was drinking when he picked Andreychuk in ATD 6. I marvelled that the dude could spell "Andreychuk" after a few.

shawnmullin
02-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Someone asked me if I was going to the Cyclone Taylor Cup today and the first thing I thought of was him centering Guy Lafleur on my last ATD team.

Leaf Lander
03-08-2008, 02:42 PM
You muttered "My sympathy for the family" when you red that Bill Juzda passed away yesterday, at age 92.

other sources say he was 87

arrbez
03-09-2008, 10:34 AM
- if you're eagerly anticipating the start of the next ATD and have your team name and logo already picked out (for those who don't use the same name over).

I'm going in a new direction this year, and it's gonna be amazing.

VanIslander
03-16-2008, 07:23 PM

if you plan your life around the ATD and where there's a conflict, well, life plans can change

VanIslander
03-20-2008, 06:03 AM
... if people say you "overthink" things and you object: "What else am I to do while I'm commuting, waiting in lines, watching t.v. commercials during games, listening to my girlfriend, eating, showering, and sleeping? Geeez."

FissionFire
03-20-2008, 08:00 AM
... if people say you "overthink" things and you object: "What else am I to do while I'm commuting, waiting in lines, watching t.v. commercials during games, listening to my girlfriend, eating, showering, and sleeping? Geeez."

Since when do ATDers need a girlfriend? They just distract from valuable research time.

VanIslander
03-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Since when do ATDers need a girlfriend? They just distract from valuable research time.
Yeah, I just threw that in for those who have one.

Hawkman
03-20-2008, 10:37 PM
You'd rather lose your hard drive than your draft list. I fall into this category. ;)

Sens Rule
03-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I took a trip to Ottawa with a few friends this past summer. I went for a jog around 4 am and ended up in Gatineau, Quebec. There's a large statue of Rocket Richard a block away from the Museum of Civilization. Recalling a move I made in ATD #7, I muttered to myself, "Sorry for trading you for Stan Mikita". Suddenly a few large, shady-looking characters appeared and demanded (en francais) why I traded their beloved icon for a lowly Hawk.

I wasn't exactly in the mood to explain what an ATD is, so I quickly jogged back to Ottawa.

I used to live only 2 blocks down the street from that statue.

raleh
04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Got a new one! This happened last night...

I just started dating this girl, maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago. It's going pretty well. Anyways, last night I played "meet the parents". We had dinner started making small talk. Long story short, after about 30 minutes I got a few dirty looks demanding that I cut short my conversation with her dad regarding the value of Dale Hunter vs his boy Pete Mahovlich. I guess I was getting pretty riled up! I didn't even notice my voice rising!

FissionFire
04-08-2008, 06:33 PM
You have to ask yourself if the wrath of her father was worth carry the banner for Dale Hunter lol.

MiamiScreamingEagles
04-08-2008, 06:46 PM

you know that when Ted Harris' name was engraved on the Stanley Cup for 1975 it was listed as TED HARRIS but when he won Cups in the 1960s it was engraved as EDWARD HARRIS.

Nalyd Psycho
04-08-2008, 06:49 PM
When people are talking about Trevor Linden's last game and your first thought is, "Hey, no talking about undrafted players."

FissionFire
04-08-2008, 06:51 PM

you know that when Ted Harris' name was engraved on the Stanley Cup for 1975 it was listed as TED HARRIS but when he won Cups in the 1960s it was engraved as EDWARD HARRIS.

Or that Syd Howe's named was Sid on the Cup.

MXD
04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Or when Hockey Outsider omits to name the guy who posted a 0-29-29 season with the Leafs and '48 for... well, whatever reason, and you say ; Hey HO, it's isn't the all-time draft, you can name Jimmy Thomson!

MiamiScreamingEagles
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Or that Syd Howe's named was Sid on the Cup.

Is there a story behind that?

FissionFire
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Is there a story behind that?

Yes, I'll have to dig it up....

MiamiScreamingEagles
04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, I'll have to dig it up....

Ok, I ask because though Wikipedia isn't the definitive source it lists errors on the Cup here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditions_and_anecdotes_associated_with_the_Stanl ey_Cup

Errors in engraving
There have been numerous errors on the engraving on the Cup, some of which also exist on the duplicate Cup found in the Hockey Hall of Fame:[2][35]

In 1929, Boston Bruins player-coach Cy Denneny's name was listed on the Cup twice (once as a coach "Cy Dennenny Coach"), with one being spelled correctly and the other as a player "C Denneny".
In 1942 Walter "Turk" Broda was engraved on the Stanley Cup twice. Once as "Turk Broda", and other time a "Walter" Broda
Dickie Moore's named is spelled five different ways, and Jacques Plante's name four ways.
Several teams were misspelled, the Toronto Maple Leafs was spelled "Toronto Maple Leaes" (1963), the Montreal Canadiens was spelled "Montreal Canadiene" (1965), the Boston Bruins was spelled "Bqstqn Bruins" (1972), and the New York Islanders was spelt "New York Ilanders" (1981)
In 1984, Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington included his father, Basil. However, as Basil had no official connection to the team, his name was X'ed out.
In 1996, Colorado Avalanche's Adam Deadmarsh's last name was spelled "Deadmarch". It was later corrected, the first time a correction had been made.

FissionFire
04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
On the 1936 Cup team it's spelled Sid Howe because that was his name. Apparently he changed it to Syd later.

From: http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html
Syd Howe's (2-3-5) name is spelled "Sid" on the Cup, he later changed his name to "Syd".

From: http://info.detnews.com/redesign/history/story/historytemplate.cfm?id=169
Sid Howe, right, with Wings owner Jim Norris. Howe worked as a machinist at Ford by day and played center and left wing by night.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8mL21xbWrXcC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=%22Sid+Howe%22+hockey&source=web&ots=EwMgXmWVvW&sig=NXsi1jxveX68SnvfTw3FhwdQKuE&hl=en

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/LandingPage.aspx?type=glp&img=\\na0014\6789399\42710929_clean.html

If you do a google search alot of the older newspapers and books refer to him as Sid Howe instead of Syd Howe which makes me think the name changing thing is true.

Leaf Lander
12-15-2009, 01:52 AM
how many mroe days till the next atd

can't sleep!

vancityluongo
12-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Last night I was watching UP. Hearing the names Ernie and Russell (the main characters), I thought of Ernie Russell, and how I should try and find some time over Christmas to research some of those older guys. Then I thought of this thread. Yup.

Edit: Ernie Russell? Wait, what the hell, was that even their names? :laugh:

seventieslord
12-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Ernie Russell rocks. He should be a second liner.

Leafs Forever
12-17-2009, 10:34 PM
You may be an ATDer if..

- Whenever someone says "draft" you think of the ATD.

- When someone says you're on the clock, you rush to the computer to make your pick even if the ATD isn't running.

- You correct people who've been watching hockey much longer than you about hockey history.

Ernie Russell rocks. He should be a second liner.

He's a 2nd liner but Weiland isn't? :(

seventieslord
12-18-2009, 01:01 AM
He's a 2nd liner but Weiland isn't? :(

Hell yeah! And I'm pretty sure he was among the 70+ players Dreak and I named a few weeks ago...

Dreakmur
12-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Hell yeah! And I'm pretty sure he was among the 70+ players Dreak and I named a few weeks ago...

You trying to get me in trouble again....

Johnny Engine
12-24-2009, 10:29 PM
You may be an ATDer if your first reaction to that "Stajan...to Keon...scores!" commercial on TSN was "why would they put two 2-way, playmaking centers on the same line?"

seventieslord
12-25-2009, 01:10 PM
LOL... nice one Johnny. And so true.

Hedberg
12-25-2009, 01:11 PM
You may be an ATD'er if you post on the ATD forum on Christmas Day

VanIslander
12-31-2009, 08:34 PM
You may be an ATD'er if you post on the ATD forum on Christmas Day
or New Year's Eve.;)

Happy New Year everyone! May 2010 be the best ever.

TheDevilMadeMe
02-04-2010, 08:00 PM
You may be an ATD if one of the first things to come to mind when you see your favorite team gets Kovalchuk is "well, he and Lemaire weren't a great fit in the ATD. Hope they'll do better together this time around."

vancityluongo
02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

One of the panels of either Sportsnet or TSN were questioning last night about whether Kovalchuk would be a good fit with Lemaire. My dad agreed with their concerns, saying that he thinks Kovalchuk may struggle with Lemaire. I then got angry, and tried to remember everything I used in the ATD to prove Lemaire wasn't a black-hole offensively, and that he could get along with someone like Kovalchuk fine. My dad gave me a puzzled look and asked when I'd become such a Devils fan.

seventieslord
02-05-2010, 05:30 PM
I think Lemaire and Gaborik did OK together. It will be interesting to see how this works.

VanIslander
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
You know you're an ATDer when someone else drafting a guy you respect really MAKES YOUR DAY! :nod:

JFA87-66-99
03-25-2010, 07:15 PM
How about if your computer goes down and you have your mom make the your picks for 4 rounds. All over the phone because she lives about 50 miles away.

EagleBelfour
03-25-2010, 08:52 PM
How about if your computer goes down and you have your mom make the your picks for 4 rounds. All over the phone because she lives about 50 miles away.

That will forever be an ATD classic and exemplify the passion and commitment of the ATD GM's.

Dwight
03-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah that was crazy.

You may be an ATDer if "History class" becomes "figure out who would best compliment Louis Berlinguette on the 4th line" class

Leafs Forever
03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
You may be an ATD'er if you are able to correctly answer the obscure trivia question "I am the product of an agreement between Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, and Quebec City. What am I?" with the correct response, "The NHL", to the astonishment of most in the room.

Dreakmur
03-25-2010, 11:06 PM
... when you quote Ted Lindsay at your minor hockey team's start of the year parent meeting :)

TheDevilMadeMe
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
...when the best way you can describe what's wrong with your favorite NHL team is:

"It's as if Lou L used his first four picks on three left wings and a goalie!"

VanIslander
03-27-2010, 02:03 AM
You may be an ATD'er if, when asked why you're taking notes while watching an old game from 1970's, you reply: "I'm scouting."

VanIslander
04-14-2010, 10:09 PM
A real ATDer:

New ATD drunk story!!

Just watched the Ottawa-Pens game with my boss. At one point, he turns to me and goes, "I think Alfredsson is pretty good defensively, do you agree?"

My response: "Yeah, he'll look really good beside Ted Lindsay and Bobby Clarke"

He looked at me like I had two heads.

TheDevilMadeMe
04-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I really hate Jacques Lemaire.

Stretch passes from defensemen to forwards who aren't allowed to chase the puck into corners. Nevermind that your defensemen are a bunch of unskilled goons who can't pass and your forwards are fast enough to win races to the puck if they were allowed to.

Crappy 1st half coach in 96, 97, 98... and 2010? (A Minnesota Wild fan recently said it was the same deal there).

Edit: Just noticed that this drunken rant was in the wrong thread.

VanIslander
05-02-2010, 04:48 AM
You know you're an ATDer when you consider re-arranging your entire summer plans to accommodate, not the ATD but its little brother, the minor league draft!

TheDevilMadeMe
05-02-2010, 07:50 PM
When Brian Engblom comes on the Versus Intermission Report, and your first thought is "I have that guy on my bottom pairing."

hungryhungryhippy
05-02-2010, 08:11 PM
When Brian Engblom comes on the Versus Intermission Report, and your first thought is "I have that guy on my bottom pairing."

When you're watching the versus broadcast and they start talking about the assistant coach of one of the teams, Craig Ramsay, and you think....

1) I can't believe all these (seemingly obscure) hockey players I learned about in the ATD actually exist.

2) Debating whether or not he's the greatest purely defensive leftwinger of all time.

VanIslander
05-21-2010, 04:28 AM
... if you totally understand this feeling:

I think it will be awesome to see how the pecking order changes in a large MLD. Which former 3rd/4th line staples have the skills to make the jump to MLD scoring lines? Which great AAA scorers who didn't quite have the MLD goods before (maybe small, or soft) now get to make the jump? And do they find homes on scoring lines in this larger league, or 3rd/4th line roles? Which AAA checkers find places as role players in the MLD? Which MLD backup goalies become starters now? Who backfills their roles? So exciting.

seventieslord
05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
... if you totally understand this feeling:

What can I say? I am hardcore. 14 straight drafts, and counting. :yo:

Hedberg
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I had a dream about making selections in the ATD last night :laugh:

VanIslander
09-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I had a dream about making selections in the ATD last night :laugh:
Trooper!

Leafs Forever
09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Couple of new ones:

-The name "Eddie Shack" is said and your first response is "I drafted him once!" (the reply was "I didn't know you were that old :laugh:)

-You are forced to write in your mandatory writer's diary for school about the ATD because you can't think about anything else.

seventieslord
10-06-2010, 11:56 AM
You know you're an ATDer when you're browing the boards because you're bored, and you confine yourself to two sections on the entire board because talking about the present day preseason and regular season happenings, rumours, and even discussion about your own team's training camp, preseason, who they should trade or acquire, and whether they should tank or not seem like pointless drivel compared to the self-enrichment you can achieve by studying hockey history.

TheDevilMadeMe
10-06-2010, 12:00 PM
You know you're an ATDer when you're browing the boards because you're bored, and you confine yourself to two sections on the entire board because talking about the present day preseason and regular season happenings, rumours, and even discussion about your own team's training camp, preseason, who they should trade or acquire, and whether they should tank or not seem like pointless drivel compared to the self-enrichment you can achieve by studying hockey history.

I hear that. I've been avoiding Devils boards like the plague since the Kovalchuk drama started.

VanIslander
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
You may be an ATD'er if... someone asks you what your plans are for the new year and you immediately think of picks you'd like to make in ATD 2011. :laugh:

Nighthawks
11-29-2010, 08:57 PM
You may be an ATD'er if... someone asks you what your plans are for the new year and you immediately think of picks you'd like to make in ATD 2011. :laugh:

I cannot wait. My first year was a good learning experience and I'm excited to craft a new team.

VanIslander
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
You may be an ATD'er if.... you're itchin' for the 2011 draft! :)

TheDevilMadeMe
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
... as soon as you hear the ATD might go to 40 teams, you check out what kind of team you would have drafted with the same first spot as last time.

Barring trades, this could have been my starting 5:

Sweeney Schriner - Sid Abel - Gordie Howe
Sylvio Mantha - Brian Leetch

But then by 237 (my 6th pick), the pickings are already starting to get slim...

It'll be a lot different than a 30 team draft, that's for sure.

Hedberg
12-08-2010, 04:22 PM
... as soon as you hear the ATD might go to 40 teams, you check out what kind of team you would have drafted with the same first spot as last time.

It'll be a lot different than a 30 team draft, that's for sure.

Interesting experiment. Going by if we had a 40 team draft from my first pick at 6 (with some alterations due to needing the right positions), the team could have roughly looked like:

Alex Ovechkin - Marcel Dionne - Vaclav Nedomansky
Sid Smith - Pit Lepine - Dave Taylor
Bob Gainey - Orland Kurtenbach - Harry Oliver
Cliff Koroll - Charlie Burns - Mike Keane
Lorne Campbell - Charlie Sands

Doug Harvey - Eric Desjardins
Ulf Samuelsson - Dunc Munro
Billy Coutu - Gord Fraser
Phat Wilson

Harry Lumley
Andy Moog

Coach Rudy Pilous

seventieslord
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
hmmmm. Lepine on a 2nd line? Sands in the ATD at all? Munro on a 2nd pairing? These things aren't going to potentially happen, are they?

Hedberg
12-08-2010, 04:46 PM
hmmmm. Lepine on a 2nd line? Sands in the ATD at all? Munro on a 2nd pairing? These things aren't going to potentially happen, are they?

I doubt it, but I was trying to go with the exact pick for the first few rounds and then stay within a couple of picks of where I'd select in the latter rounds. I don't think that looks anything like a team I'd actually draft. I think it's a useful thing to check out as it illustrates a couple of areas where the draft strategy has to be tweaked a bit for the expansion.

TheDevilMadeMe
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Give the same first spot (#4), this could have been my whole team:

Coach : Cecil Hart

Sweeney Schriner - Sid Abel - Gordie Howe
Keith Tkachuk - Marty Walsh - Vladimir Martinec
Shane Doan- Ken Mosdell - Alf Skinner
Charley "Rabbit" McVeigh - Mike Richards - Leo Labine
Brian Rolston, Walter Smaill

Sylvio Mantha - Brian Leetch
Jean-Guy Talbot - Derian Hatcher
Vasili Pervukhin - Yuri Lyapkin
Howard McNamara

Alec Connell
Henrik Lundqvist

Realistically, this fails to take account of the fact that coaches will probably be taken much later now (same round, but later picks) and who the hell knows what happens to the goalie market (Connell may have been taken earlier; I think he was one of the first backups taken this time).

Edit: I think I screwed up my original team and forgetten a pick, so I redid it. Now, of course, I may have screwed up and given myself one extra pick somewhere in the middle, but whatever.

TheDevilMadeMe
12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
... if you spent over an hour putting together a fake ATD team in a hypothetical 40 team draft.

Hedberg
12-08-2010, 06:09 PM
That's a lot better then what I put together :laugh:. Hopefully most teams end up looking more like your team.

TheDevilMadeMe
12-08-2010, 06:55 PM
That's a lot better then what I put together :laugh:. Hopefully most teams end up looking more like your team.

I don't know how realistic it is though. I knew Marty Walsh was still available when 4th lines were being selected with 30 teams, and it's unlikely he'll last that long with 40, but who knows.

If I missed out on him, the next scoring center was Brad Richards, "a bit" of a step down.

Sturminator
12-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Yeah...a 40 team draft. Don McKenney becomes a pretty darned good 2nd liner in that scenario. I was of the opinion in 28 team drafts that putting together the 2nd unit was the hardest part of the process, but now it is going to be that much harder.

VanIslander
12-15-2010, 11:05 PM
if.. everything hockey-related seems to relate to the ATD somehow

eg., the pyramid idea of all-time greats talked about on the history board makes one think: hell, the ATD already has that!

ATD level (top-6 forward vs. extra skater; top pairing dman vs. 2nd and 3rd pairing guy, etc)
MLD level,
AAA level :)

VanIslander
01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
if.. everyone in your life tells you you are wasting your time and you agree with a smile

TheDevilMadeMe
01-19-2011, 03:05 PM
... when you wake up realizing you were just dreaming about finding out your draft position! :laugh:

(I have problems.... heh)

Jafar
01-28-2011, 04:44 AM
...when you're on a date with a woman and you're wondering if you made the right choice drafting Gretzky instead of Howe and would truly like to share your worries with her but decide to resist the urge :D

EagleBelfour
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM
...when you're on a date with a woman and you're wondering if you made the right choice drafting Gretzky instead of Howe and would truly like to share your worries with her but decide to resist the urge :D

If you can find a girl that can cope with the ATD, you marry her.

Jafar
01-28-2011, 08:47 AM

I would marry her then ask her her opinion on every picks , just to completely dismiss it and act like a know-it-all because you know , I'm a man , I must know hockey better :D

Jafar
01-28-2011, 09:08 AM
When I saw the ATD thread in the history section ( seventieslord I think ) I didn't even know what it was but I do like drafts and I do like all-time discussion , and since then I admit I don't even go in the other sections except History of Hockey.It's a good thing , because this site is getting good at turning sane people into highly challenging psychiatric cases.

seventieslord
01-28-2011, 09:50 AM

define "cope".

:laugh:

by the way, I've been meaning to ask, are LL and I the only two ATD GMs who dare try this with a wife and/or child?

Jafar
01-28-2011, 10:10 AM
define "cope".

:laugh:

by the way, I've been meaning to ask, are LL and I the only two ATD GMs who dare try this with a wife and/or child?

Are saying you actually do your team with your wife or just talking about having a wife/child and doing this :laugh:

seventieslord
01-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Are saying you actually do your team with your wife or just talking about having a wife/child and doing this :laugh:

Haha, me getting my wife to join me in the ATD... that's a laugh and a half. No, I just mean doing the ATD when married and/or parenting.

Jafar
01-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Haha, me getting my wife to join me in the ATD... that's a laugh and a half. No, I just mean doing the ATD when married and/or parenting.

Give it a try , it might turn her on :sarcasm:

markrander87
01-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I try and plan the nights my gf comes over to avoid potential nights I pick in the ATD.

seventieslord
01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
I try and plan the nights my gf comes over to avoid potential nights I pick in the ATD.

lol, good call.

my wife feels totally cheated here. I met her during the lockout and she must not have really understood how crazy about hockey I was. We were dating for almost a year when the 05-06 season started. at the same time I found the Leafs boards and half a year later hfboards. She didn't think she was signing up for all this hockey-related baggage.

Sturminator
01-29-2011, 12:55 AM

I am married and have three kids. I think it's helped me with my negotiation skills.

Derick*
01-29-2011, 01:28 AM
lol, good call.

my wife feels totally cheated here. I met her during the lockout and she must not have really understood how crazy about hockey I was. We were dating for almost a year when the 05-06 season started. at the same time I found the Leafs boards and half a year later hfboards. She didn't think she was signing up for all this hockey-related baggage.

You have a wife? I thought geniuses like you didn't have time for relationships.

Jafar
01-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Wife : '' you think I gained some weight ? ''
Husband: '' prefer saying you have more depth ''

Sturminator
01-29-2011, 01:57 AM

nice

seventieslord
01-29-2011, 03:10 AM
I am married and have three kids. I think it's helped me with my negotiation skills.

Really, I had no idea!

You have a wife? I thought geniuses like you didn't have time for relationships.

Geniuses find time to do it all. I work 2 hours of OT a day as well. :thumbu:

brilliant!

Jafar
01-29-2011, 03:31 AM
brilliant!

Husband: ''But when I married you you had top end talent :D ''

papershoes
01-29-2011, 07:24 AM

married with a little one on the way...

EagleBelfour
01-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Single, can't hold into a relationship more than 2 months. I hope I'll be a father one day.

Jafar
01-29-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm also single , been fooling around a lot the past 2 years.
I'm starting to keep an eye open for a good woman but the hunt still thrills me.

HomeNugget
03-02-2011, 11:34 PM
My wife loves hockey. She's been helping me research my picks.

EagleBelfour
03-03-2011, 07:39 AM
My wife loves hockey. She's been helping me research my picks.

Might god, that's what we call a real keeper! And you were smart enough to put a ring on it, good for you :)

VanIslander
03-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah

Sturminator
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
It's great to see new GMs with so much enthusiasm. My wife understands that I love history, and doesn't really differentiate between me reading about Roman generals and western league hockey players.

VanIslander
04-11-2011, 08:51 AM
...I do not consider myself, nor like being called an 'hockey historian', because I am not. I am a hockey history buff, even a fanatic,...
HERE, HERE! :cheers:

Sturminator
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Insofar as we work with the raw material of history, we are all historians, and it is simply a matter of whether we choose to be good ones or not so good ones. Eagle underrates himself, and badly, as a means of dodging legitimate criticism. His profiles remain the single best source of historical information about most of the players he chooses to work on whether or not he actually takes himself seriously.

EagleBelfour
04-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Insofar as we work with the raw material of history, we are all historians, and it is simply a matter of whether we choose to be good ones or not so good ones. Eagle underrates himself, and badly, as a means of dodging legitimate criticism. His profiles remain the single best source of historical information about most of the players he chooses to work on whether or not he actually takes himself seriously.

I don't believe that because we work with historical document that we are all historian. There's a manner and scientific ways to use those documents properly, and I don't consider having the knowledge and expertise to use those documents in an impartial, unbiased and scientific way.

You are certainly right when you say that I'm trying to dodge criticism, it's a fact. However, as I will always try to answer any question to be the best of my abilities and be as unbiased as possible, the fact remain that I am participating in the ATD for the entertainment that it brings me, and not for the advancement of hockey history. Hell, if both can coexist together I'm a happy camper, but the ATD remain a pastime only, albeit a very nice one. It's not that I cannot take criticism, it's more that I want to keep the line that I drawn; that although I'm putting more and work hours into the ATD, it always remain a fun experience. As soon as the ATD will become work, I'll quit without a second thought.

Hopefully I'm making sense. I'm not sure I was able to properly write down my thought on that matter.

Leafs Forever
04-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I don't believe that because we work with historical document that we are all historian. There's a manner and scientific ways to use those documents properly, and I don't consider having the knowledge and expertise to use those documents in an impartial, unbiased and scientific way.

You are certainly right when you say that I'm trying to dodge criticism, it's a fact. However, as I will always try to answer any question to be the best of my abilities and be as unbiased as possible, the fact remain that I am participating in the ATD for the entertainment that it brings me, and not for the advancement of hockey history. Hell, if both can coexist together I'm a happy camper, but the ATD remain a pastime only, albeit a very nice one. It's not that I cannot take criticism, it's more that I want to keep the line that I drawn; that although I'm putting more and work hours into the ATD, it always remain a fun experience. As soon as the ATD will become work, I'll quit without a second thought.

Hopefully I'm making sense. I'm not sure I was able to properly write down my thought on that matter.

You act like historians aren't bias :laugh: (Believe me, they are).

Legit, much of the historian is just being able to argue about history using the evidence available and finding such evidence. From that perspective, we'd all pass.
Le

VanIslander
04-19-2011, 05:48 PM
You may be an ATD'er if the biggest sin you've committed in life was on the ATD board. My apologizes. Forgive me.

TheDevilMadeMe
04-19-2011, 06:38 PM
If this is the worst thing you ever did, you have led a much holier life than I.

VanIslander
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
If this is the worst thing you ever did, you have led a much holier life than I.
Or else I did something very, very bad on the board. :facepalm:

TheDevilMadeMe
04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm more or less aware of what happened, and it's the kind of thing that I may have done myself back when I was 19....

Zamboni Mania is the one that really confuses me.

VanIslander
04-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Zamboni Mania is the one that really confuses me.
We were short a team back in ATD11 I believe, and recruiting efforts didn't surface a 32nd team. The later foray in the MLDs were, well, an addiction, good intentions gone bad, all run amock, yet even then, all picks were intended to be the best available. Zamboni Mania teams never did well in rankings or playoffs, votes tallied by an outsider, as per tradition when I ran the drafts. No hanky panky there.

Dreakmur
04-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I have no idea what's going one here :p:

TheDevilMadeMe
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Check the roster thread carefully. If you've been around forums long enough, you'll know what it means

BillyShoe1721
04-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I have no idea what's going one here :p:

You weren't the only one. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out what they were talking about, but I think I get it. I still don't get how all the posts by the various personas are all under one name now though.

vancityluongo
06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
The only thing keeping you from going on a trolling rampage on the main boards and getting banned afterwards is the ATD.

Jafar
07-30-2011, 02:25 PM
The only thing keeping you from going on a trolling rampage on the main boards and getting banned afterwards is the ATD.

so true , so many times I just said to myself **** them all on the main board or even the lounge but I resisted going on a trolling spree because of the ATD

Dreakmur
07-30-2011, 03:23 PM

I've only gone on one "trolling rampage", and that was against the ATD Commish in an ATD thread......

chaosrevolver
08-08-2011, 06:52 AM
I have paper bags ready for when I make a poor pick..

JFA87-66-99
08-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Here's another one. If your incarerated and with your one & only phone call you ask your brother to keep track of the rest of your ATD for you.

BillyShoe1721
08-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Here's another one. If your incarerated and with your one & only phone call you ask your brother to keep track of the rest of your ATD for you.

We have a winner.

markrander87
10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
As pathetic as it sounds:

You may be an ATD'er if while first logging on, you check the ATD draft page before you check your Facebook.

Jafar
01-01-2012, 11:26 PM
You might be an ATD'er with you have a direct shortcut link to the ATD section on your desktop :laugh:

( I also have a direct shortcut link to HR , to hockeylegends & to the ATD 2011 thread in preparation for ATD 2012. )

VanIslander
01-02-2012, 06:31 AM
... if you think having easy, portable access to the ATDs is the best reason to buy an iPad.

tony d
01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
If you're spending your spare time doing mock drafts for the upcoming ATD.

Hawkman
01-13-2012, 10:34 AM
You may be an ATD'er if you stop watching the SC playoffs and don't care who wins if all the Original Six teams are eliminated. That's me. :)

Hedberg
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
You may be an ATD'er if you know there is no Original Six, only an Original Four (Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Hockey Club, Ottawa Senators, and Montreal Wanderers)

Hawkman
01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
You may be an ATD'er if you know there is no Original Six, only an Original Four (Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Hockey Club, Ottawa Senators, and Montreal Wanderers)You're may be an ATDer if you know that all four of those teams don't play in the NHL anymore so I can't quit watching the SC playoffs when they are eliminated from the playoffs.

Nalyd Psycho
01-15-2012, 01:12 PM
You're may be an ATDer if you know that all four of those teams don't play in the NHL anymore so I can't quit watching the SC playoffs when they are eliminated from the playoffs.

You mean three of the four...

TheDevilMadeMe
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
.... if you went to wikipedia to actually resolve this dispute:

It's actually 2/4 original teams remaining. The Toronto Hockey Club became the St. Pats, which became the Maple Leafs.

Though technically, when the NHL was formed, the Original 4 were the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, and Quebec Bulldogs. But the Bulldogs suspended operations for the first NHL season (they'd later briefly come back), and were replaced by the Toronto Club (which was originally supposed to be a temporary replacement for Eddie Livingstone's team that was locked out of the NHL).

Jafar
01-31-2012, 07:46 PM
You may be an ATDer if the ATD can affect your mood in real life.

Hawkman
02-18-2012, 01:08 PM
You may be an ATDer if sex would have been there tomorrow, not Phil Goyette!!

My top 9:

Denneny - Nighbor - Balderis
Elias - Oates - Hextall Sr.
Ramsay - Goyette - Provost

TheDevilMadeMe
04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
... If your biggest concern going into game 7 OT is what an Ovechkin OT goal does for his draft position next year

TheDevilMadeMe
06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
... If you're about to declare a Wikipedia war against a guy who insists the Vezina Trophy went to the best goalie (like it does today) before 1946....

seventieslord
06-21-2012, 05:35 PM
... If you're about to declare a Wikipedia war against a guy who insists the Vezina Trophy went to the best goalie (like it does today) before 1946....

LOL, I want to know more!

TheDevilMadeMe
06-21-2012, 05:55 PM
LOL, I want to know more!

Rememeber the conversation we had in the "goalies before 1950" thread about how the Wikipedia article was wrong? Some of us found multiple newspaper articles from the 1930s indicating that the Vezina was based off GAA.

I spent quite a few hours updating the history of the Vezina on Wikipedia afterwards. Just found out that my changes were reversed by the guy who originally "determined" that the award criteria changed in 1946 based off a single newspaper article

seventieslord
06-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Rememeber the conversation we had in the "goalies before 1950" thread about how the Wikipedia article was wrong? Some of us found multiple newspaper articles from the 1930s indicating that the Vezina was based off GAA.

I spent quite a few hours updating the history of the Vezina on Wikipedia afterwards. Just found out that my changes were reversed by the guy who originally "determined" that the award criteria changed in 1946 based off a single newspaper article

It's possible this guy is a Hainsworth fan.

Did you direct him to the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

TheDevilMadeMe
06-22-2012, 01:54 PM
It's possible this guy is a Hainsworth fan.

Did you direct him to the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?

My version that he reversed had several paragraphs on the early history of the Vezina, all cited from newspaper articles. He obviously didn't read it, because he sent me a message that "LOH and HHOF are wrong" because a single article he has (and based the entire Wikipedia article around previously) says so.

Vecens had previously listed numerous articles in the "talk section" for the article indicating otherwise too

Anyway, we should probably take this to the dishing the dirt or chat thread

EagleBelfour
07-18-2012, 02:32 PM
When you go to the Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame, in Tampere, and trying to 'scout' new talents for the minor leagues :)

Hobnobs
07-23-2012, 01:35 PM
This morning my girl woke me because I had to make formula to our son. I told her that, and I quote, "better coaches available"....

bluesfan94
01-29-2013, 03:15 AM
I have class (and a test) in four and a half hours. I have not studied anything but hockey players all night.

Jafar
01-29-2013, 08:48 AM
At this point , everybody knows I'm an hardcore ATDer :biglaugh:

I regularly have some random ATD thoughts or symbols in my dreams.Even if the dream has nothing to do with the ATD.

TheDevilMadeMe
06-25-2013, 12:00 AM
If one of the biggest things you take away from the 2013 Cup is a question: "what does this do to the all-time rankings of Kane, Keith, and Toews?"

Hawkman
06-25-2013, 12:22 AM
If one of the biggest things you take away from the 2013 Cup is a question: "what does this do to the all-time rankings of Kane, Keith, and Toews?"Agreed. Also Hossa, Seabrook, and Sharp. ;)

VanIslander
06-25-2013, 06:42 AM
Hossa...
Tied for 2nd in team points and 3rd in ice time among forwards this 2013 cup-winning postseason, and some key goals to help earn him another cup. One step closer to the Hall. :yo: (One of my favs in his Ottawa and Atlanta years!)

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/55989/26hossa3stars_040407_460.jpg

BraveCanadian
06-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Hossa has certainly beefed up his playoff resume the past several years that is for sure.

Always seems to leave you wanting more - but even then he has been very solid.

Jafar
06-25-2013, 12:30 PM
If one of the biggest things you take away from the 2013 Cup is a question: "what does this do to the all-time rankings of Kane, Keith, and Toews?"

This is one of the biggest reason why I will always hate too much parity.I like to see great teams , great players and great things being accomplished and I think parity is getting in the way of that happening a little bit too much for my taste in the last 6 years or so.Dynasties were probably too one-sided , but I like seeing the same 3 or 4 teams being at the top for 5-6 years in a row.I actually enjoyed seeing Boston , L.A. , Pittsburgh and Chicago at it again in the conference finals.It gives everything a sense of continuity.When the parity is at it's highest it's a crapshoot and a great team can become a lottery team in a single summer and these kinds of thing piss me off to no end.Great teams do get worst , but the normal curve would be a 2-3 years period where the great players are ageing/retiring , things slowly but surely start to get worst and eventually another (younger) team with (younger) superstars comes and replace them.I find this more comfortable than simply not being able to predict anything.

I guess deep down I'm just a nerd and I love the abstract world of hockey history , ranking players , teams , acheivements etc...

TheDevilMadeMe
06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Agreed. Also Hossa, Seabrook, and Sharp. ;)

I don't think Hossa adds much to what he already had - he was already considered a passable 1st line glue guy or a good 2nd liner here. I guess it removes some questions about him as a playoff performer though.

Seabrook and Sharp will never be key players at the ATD level, I don't think. I think their ceilings are #6 dman or 4th liner. Then again, if Ken Morrow and Ken Daneyko can get bigger roles based on contributions to team success, maybe Seabrook can too. Not sure if that's right though.

Kane, Toews, and Keith all have potential to be key players at the ATD level (like Hossa already is). The question is when they cross the threshold to being legitimate impact players at the ATD level.

Hardyvan123
06-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Tied for 2nd in team points and 3rd in ice time among forwards this 2013 cup-winning postseason, and some key goals to help earn him another cup. One step closer to the Hall. :yo: (One of my favs in his Ottawa and Atlanta years!)

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3760711/134185971.0_standard_352.0.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/imported_assets/55989/26hossa3stars_040407_460.jpg

Hossa is pretty much a lock for the HHOF at this point one would think.

from 99-13

2nd in goals in the NHL
11th in assists
4th in points

In the playoffs

7th in goals
8th in assists
5th in points

Probably rates as a middle of the pack HHOF just on that alone.

If not for the 2 lockouts pretty close to 500 plus goals and easily 1000 points and he's only 34.

his stat line is 1018-434-501-935 adjusted to 458-518-976 (13 still to be adjusted but add in at least 17-14-31)

MadArcand
06-26-2013, 02:12 AM
I don't think that first pic in VI's post is Hossa.

Hobnobs
06-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't think Hossa adds much to what he already had - he was already considered a passable 1st line glue guy or a good 2nd liner here. I guess it removes some questions about him as a playoff performer though.

Seabrook and Sharp will never be key players at the ATD level, I don't think. I think their ceilings are #6 dman or 4th liner. Then again, if Ken Morrow and Ken Daneyko can get bigger roles based on contributions to team success, maybe Seabrook can too. Not sure if that's right though.

Kane, Toews, and Keith all have potential to be key players at the ATD level (like Hossa already is). The question is when they cross the threshold to being legitimate impact players at the ATD level.

The problem for Toews is that he will need to surpass some players at a very deep position.

I can see Kane being a weak 2nd liner atm.

tony d
11-15-2013, 03:55 PM
You make a Round 22 pick in the 3rd draft while you're in the checkout at Wal-Mart.

VanIslander
01-05-2014, 06:45 PM
You have nightmares about the times you spent hours on a player bio only to have a computer problem and lose it all! :rant::confused::headache::scared:

Dreakmur
01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
I don't think that first pic in VI's post is Hossa.

Did the right handed stick give it away?

seventieslord
01-05-2014, 07:41 PM
You have nightmares about the times you spent hours on a player bio only to have a computer problem and lose it all! :rant::confused::headache::scared:

I spent literally hours on a massive Paul Coffey bio, and it was saved for days, then an hfboards error erased most of it when I had only done an edit (I did the usual, ctrl-a, ctrl-c, post) but for some reason it only saved the first few hundred characters. Asked a mod about it, they said they'd look into it, I never heard back. After becoming a mod, i found out that all they'd have to have done was check the edit history)

TheDevilMadeMe
01-05-2014, 08:17 PM
I spent literally hours on a massive Paul Coffey bio, and it was saved for days, then an hfboards error erased most of it when I had only done an edit (I did the usual, ctrl-a, ctrl-c, post) but for some reason it only saved the first few hundred characters. Asked a mod about it, they said they'd look into it, I never heard back. After becoming a mod, i found out that all they'd have to have done was check the edit history)

When I do long bios, I PM them to myself after each section, so I don't loose too much if there's a glitch. Learned that the hard way

bluesfan94
01-05-2014, 10:53 PM
I either work on them in word or save the edit section by section.

Hawkey Town 18
01-05-2014, 11:08 PM

When I do long bios, I PM them to myself after each section, so I don't loose too much if there's a glitch. Learned that the hard way

I do all mine in word as well...also learned that lesson the hard way

Nalyd Psycho
01-05-2014, 11:17 PM

Me too.

I also use notepad to stash quotes until they are ready to use.

Evil Sather
01-31-2014, 04:53 PM
so this is still a thing.

rockin