SM-liiga playoff system?

GKJ
02-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I was looking at the sm-liiga website today and noticed that it looks like 10 teams make the playoffs instead of 8. Do people think this is a good idea with just a 13 team league. I'm asusming there is a 3-game series between the 7-10 and 8-9 and then the 7 game series between the 1-8/9/10, 2-7/8/9, 3-6, 4-5.

Which brings me to my next question, why do the playoffs go from a 7 game series to 2 5 game series'?

Velho
02-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Do people think this is a good idea with just a 13 team league.

No. :mad:

Pekka Lampinen
02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Which brings me to my next question, why do the playoffs go from a 7 game series to 2 5 game series'?

All series used to be best of five, best of seven was first tried last season by testing in the quarterfinals only. It was a success (at least I think so) but for some reason a decision to inflate all the series hasn't been made.

Jeff
02-05-2004, 02:39 AM
Do people think this is a good idea with just a 13 team league.
Hell no!

Andy.B
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I don't see how a team that finishes in 10th place can be serious champioship contenders.Not in agreement.

Still gives Assat a chance though.......... :p

eh
03-05-2004, 01:53 AM
As with everything else, the league is most concerned about money. If you think it that way, it makes total sense: more teams - more money, more games - more money. They also made excuse that if ten teams make the playoffs instead of eight, even the team with the worst record still has a chance of making them, so they don't trade away all their chips in the deadline. Looking at the current rosters of SaiPa and Pelicans tells you everything about that idea.

Hopefully the league will be opened for promotion/relegation for next year. It's possible/likely that Pelicans will go bankcrupt (which will be a (temporary?) death kiss for pro hockey in Lahti), leaving the league with twelve teams. KalPa deserves to be on top level (just look at the juniors they produce), but it's questionable whether their market is big enough to actually support an SM-liiga franchise.

Andy.B
03-05-2004, 02:09 AM
Who's your team then eh? are you an HIFK fan or Jokerit?

eh
03-05-2004, 02:31 AM
Who's your team then eh? are you an HIFK fan or Jokerit?
I guess you haven't been around long enough to have seen my (horrible) Kari Lehtonen and Teemu Laine avatars ;) Jokerit, always Jokerit. But I try to be impartial now that I'm a HF staff member. We've got instructions, you know :p

Pekka Lampinen
03-05-2004, 03:43 AM
We've got instructions, you know :p

We...do?

Oh.

Uhm, before anybody gets the idea that the slight rarity of IFK fans in these parts is caused by me having the all banned, I'd like the say that's not that case. Na-ah. Nosirree.

Anyway, the 8-2-2 system in Elitserien is pretty much optimal for SM-Liiga as well, although I'd eliminate the chance of both top league participants getting relegated by having them play the Mestis winner only (three teams compete for two spots).

Andy.B
03-05-2004, 10:40 AM
I guess you haven't been around long enough to have seen my (horrible) Kari Lehtonen and Teemu Laine avatars ;) Jokerit, always Jokerit. But I try to be impartial now that I'm a HF staff member. We've got instructions, you know :p
No I am quite new to this board.
I am a Nottingham Panthers supporter and 2 of our former players now play for Jokerit.They are Pasi Hakinen and Pierre Claude Drouin.What do Jokerit fans think of these 2?

eh
03-06-2004, 01:31 PM
I am a Nottingham Panthers supporter and 2 of our former players now play for Jokerit.They are Pasi Hakinen and Pierre Claude Drouin.What do Jokerit fans think of these 2?
Häkkinen was awesome before the christmas break (he was selected the player of the month in December), but, like the rest of the team, has been struggling since. No-one expected anything from him when he was acquired and he's been a positive surprise.

No-one really expected anything from Drouin either, I mean, he was a bust in JYP before Jokerit acquired him at the deadline. After scoring a couple of goals in his first games he's been mostly useless like the rest of the offense. I'm sure he'd be a star in the British league, but he's no better than an average player in SM-liiga.

Andy.B
03-08-2004, 04:57 PM
We...do?

Oh.

Uhm, before anybody gets the idea that the slight rarity of IFK fans in these parts is caused by me having the all banned, I'd like the say that's not that case. Na-ah. Nosirree.

I think in the interest of the board,coupled with the fact that HIFK have by farthe coolest jersey,I will be a HIFK fan!!!! :rolly:

Jokerit Wasp
03-08-2004, 06:41 PM
I think in the interest of the board,coupled with the fact that HIFK have by farthe coolest jersey,I will be a HIFK fan!!!! :rolly:

Haha :joker:IFK's jersey cooler than Jokerits??! Well, sure the big red cats jersey is 'traditional nhl style' but Jokerits and Blues shirt would IMO be the coolest in SM-Liiga

But still not nearly as cool as Djurgardens (sorry for mentioning Ruotsi :dunno: )

Andy.B
03-09-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi JW

Assat and HIFK easily have the coolest jerseys IMHO.

The worst SM-liiga jerseys are Lukko and Tappara.Both are truly awful.