New finnish NHL players

Robertsson 4-ever
02-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Hello, I'm writing from Sweden just to wonder wich finnish players who could make the jump to the NHL next season... Mikko Koivu and Jarko Immonen is maybe quite safe picks?

And Finland have really added depth in the NHL the past seasons, your World Cup roster will be really good. Tuomo Ruutu was the last piece in my puzzle of your roster, now you can put two really strong offenisve forward lines together :)

Spiffy
02-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Mikko Koivu will be there since he has already signed a contract that let him play this season in Finland and then leave for Minnesota prior to next season.

Immonen could very well be heading over, but another season anchoring JYP would probably not hurt, he is ready for playing in the NHL though.

Jussi Jokinen could be heading over if Dallas loses a top six forward.

Also I believe one over-ager is going to get drafted and signed to play next season, Kimmo Kuhta.

Tero Määttä might get an offer from San José, but I don't believe he will come to terms yet as he still looks abit shaky.

Anaheim usually signs their prospects before they are ready for NHL action (Mårtensson, Hedström etc.) and HIFK's Joonas Vihko might go over to play in the AHL.

Tomek Valtonen could go over to be the first finnish red wing (I think there hasn't been any finn there yet?). But I doubt it.

Of course there will be some surprises, maybe florida decides that they're tired of seeing Toni Koivisto struggle here and brings him to their ahl team.

And no, I don't see Tuomo Ruutu making the top two lines on Finland's World Cup Roster.

leafaholix*
02-08-2004, 10:48 AM
After that game in the exhibition series vs. Jokerit, Immonen caught a lot of attention.

Is he really ready to play in North America?

Because I remember last year people saying he was too soft and probably would never play in NA.

Robertsson 4-ever
02-08-2004, 11:16 AM
And no, I don't see Tuomo Ruutu making the top two lines on Finland's World Cup Roster.

This should be Finlands two scoring lines IMO:

Jere Lehtinen (Dallas) - Saku Koivu (Montreal) - Teemu Selänne (Colorado)
Tuomo Ruutu (Chicago) - Olli Jokinen (Florida) - Sami Kapanen (Philadelphia)

The other lines could be something like this:

Antti Laaksonen (Minnesota) - Niko Kapanen (Dallas) - Niklas Hagman (Florida)
Ville Nieminen (Chicago) - Riku Hahl (Colorado) - Jarkko Ruutu (Vancouver)

with Antti Miettinen (Dallas), Tommi Santala (Atlanta) and
Sean Bergenheim (NY Islanders, U22) as spares. :rolly:

Spiffy
02-08-2004, 01:24 PM
This should be Finlands two scoring lines IMO:

Jere Lehtinen (Dallas) - Saku Koivu (Montreal) - Teemu Selänne (Colorado)
Tuomo Ruutu (Chicago) - Olli Jokinen (Florida) - Sami Kapanen (Philadelphia)

The other lines could be something like this:

Antti Laaksonen (Minnesota) - Niko Kapanen (Dallas) - Niklas Hagman (Florida)
Ville Nieminen (Chicago) - Riku Hahl (Colorado) - Jarkko Ruutu (Vancouver)

with Antti Miettinen (Dallas), Tommi Santala (Atlanta) and
Sean Bergenheim (NY Islanders, U22) as spares. :rolly:

If Niklas Hagman is going to play I'd bet on him playing with Olli, they have sick chemistry and Hagman could try to beat Teemu for team Finland scoring lead :)

A Good Flying Bird*
02-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Spiffy,
My guess is that Valtonen could make the Wings if he has a GREAT camp and pre-season. But it's more likely the Wings will want him to prove himself in the AHL.

What about Filpulla? Does he need more time in the Finnish league?

MaV
02-08-2004, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't really count on anyone from Finnish league to jump right to NHL for next season. Sure, there are guys who'll are almost sure to sign contract even though there would be no NHL next season (Valtonen, Niinimäki), and others who might leave if there is (Koivu, Bergenheim, Viuhkola, Kankaanperä, Pärssinen, even Immonen and Söderholm) or guys who could be signed to speed up the developement (Määttä, Laine). But could they play in the big league next season? I doubt that, someone like Viuhkola could be on the level with for example Santala, and that's not enough I'm afraid.

Robertsson 4-ever
02-08-2004, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't really count on anyone from Finnish league to jump right to NHL for next season. Sure, there are guys who'll are almost sure to sign contract even though there would be no NHL next season (Valtonen, Niinimäki), and others who might leave if there is (Koivu, Bergenheim, Viuhkola, Kankaanperä, Pärssinen, even Immonen and Söderholm) or guys who could be signed to speed up the developement (Määttä, Laine). But could they play in the big league next season? I doubt that, someone like Viuhkola could be on the level with for example Santala, and that's not enough I'm afraid.

Is Pärssinen on his way back to Anaheim?

Robertsson 4-ever
03-04-2004, 08:32 AM

Maybe time to reconsider due to Ruutus splendid play the last month?