ATD #9 Bob Cole Semifinal: #1 Buffalo Bisons vs. #4 Quebec Nordiques

FissionFire
05-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Buffalo Bisons
Coach: Dick Irvin
Asst coach & Trainer: Lloyd Percival

Busher Jackson - Stan Mikita(A) - Vaclav Nedomansky
Alex Delvecchio - Tod Sloan - Eddie Litzenberger(C)
Don Marshall - Fleming Mackell - Jerry Toppazzini
Johnny Wilson - Orland Kurtenbach - Murray Balfour
Bill Red Hay

Bill White - Pierre Pilote (A)
Carl Brewer - Neil Colville
Frank Patrick - Doug Barkley
Pat Egan

Chuck Rayner
Gerry McNeil

PP#1
Busher Jackson - Stan Mikita - Vaclav Nedomansky
Frank Patrick - Pierre Pilote

PP#2
Alex Delvecchio - Tod Sloan - Eddie Litzenberger

PK#1
Don Marshall - Jerry Toppazzini
Bill White - Pierre Pilote

PK#2
Johnny Wilson - Fleming Mackell

Quebec Nordiques
Coach : Jacques Demers

Dickie Moore - Adam Oates - Dino Ciccarelli
Bernie Nicholls - Joe Primeau - Mark Recchi
Johnny Gottselig - Bob Bourne - Gary Dornhoefer
Don Maloney - Bob Gracie - Ron Duguay
Dave Brown, Marty Walsh

Bobby Orr - Ted Green
Nikolai Sologubov - Craig Ludwig
Bucko McDonald - Normand Rocherfort
Tomas Jonsson

Chuck Gardiner
Alex Connell

PP#1
Dickie Moore - Adam Oates - Dino Ciccarelli
Bobby Orr - Ted Green

PP#2
Bernie Nicholls - Joe Primeau - Mark Recchi
Nikolai Sologubov - Bucko McDonald

PK#1
Johnny Gottselig - Joe Primeau
Bobby Orr - Bucko McDonald

PK#2
Bob Bourne - Gary Dornhoefer
Nikolai Sologubov - Craig Ludwig

Jungosi
05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
This is going to be hard. pappy I'm a fan of your team and had it placed first in the division. The Bisons are definetly not a team I wanted to face. I'm gonna do some analysis later.

Jungosi
05-27-2008, 10:46 AM
So , let's start with the offense.

You have the best offensive forward in the series with Mikita and two exeptional left-wingers. Nedomansky is an awesome player too , so your first line is superior to mine. In my opinion our second lines are a wash. While Delvecchio ist obviously the best player Primeau is clearly better than Sloan and Recchi and Litzenberger are relatively similar with a small edge to Recchi because of longievety and being a better playoff performer. Both teams get some offense from their bottom lines(you have an AWESOME two-way unit by the way). Your 3rd line has the better offensive players but I think it's evened out by my forth line.
Orr is obviously the best defenseman of all-time and unreached in terms of offense so that is most likely my biggest advantage. Pilote also belongs in a high tier of offensive defenseman , neither defensive partner was well known for his offensive power but both put up solid numbers.

Overall I'd say Buffalo has a minor advantage in this deparment

Goaltending :

Rayner is kind of underrated but he is one tier below Gardiner. Rayner had the longer career but Gardiners peak was phenomenal.(Question concerning Rayner : How the **** does a goalie win the Hart and doesn't get into the first all-star team?). Connell is very likely the best back-up in the whole draft and is better than McNeil.

Advantage : Quebec

more later.

pappyline
05-27-2008, 12:18 PM
This is going to be hard. pappy I'm a fan of your team and had it placed first in the division. The Bisons are definetly not a team I wanted to face. I'm gonna do some analysis later.

Jungosi, i also like your team and had them ranked as second in the division. Looking forward to a great series. will respond to your points later.

pappyline
05-28-2008, 08:13 AM
So , let's start with the offense.

You have the best offensive forward in the series with Mikita and two exeptional left-wingers. Nedomansky is an awesome player too , so your first line is superior to mine. In my opinion our second lines are a wash. While Delvecchio ist obviously the best player Primeau is clearly better than Sloan and Recchi and Litzenberger are relatively similar with a small edge to Recchi because of longievety and being a better playoff performer. Both teams get some offense from their bottom lines(you have an AWESOME two-way unit by the way). Your 3rd line has the better offensive players but I think it's evened out by my forth line.
Orr is obviously the best defenseman of all-time and unreached in terms of offense so that is most likely my biggest advantage. Pilote also belongs in a high tier of offensive defenseman , neither defensive partner was well known for his offensive power but both put up solid numbers.

Overall I'd say Buffalo has a minor advantage in this deparment

Goaltending :

Rayner is kind of underrated but he is one tier below Gardiner. Rayner had the longer career but Gardiners peak was phenomenal.(Question concerning Rayner : How the **** does a goalie win the Hart and doesn't get into the first all-star team?). Connell is very likely the best back-up in the whole draft and is better than McNeil.

Advantage : Quebec

more later.

Other than goal and you having the best player of all time, I think my team has much more offensive & defensive depth than yours does. In addition the Bisons had a much easier first round than Quebec did so will be well rested.

GoaL
I am a big Chuck Gardiner fan & will give you the edge here. Gardiner in his short career was a great clutch goalie. Rayner didn't get much chance to show his talents in the playoffs but when given the opportunity did play well. In 1950 he led the Rangers to the 7th game of the fonal against the powerful redWings.

Defence
Orr is the greatest and he makes any team competitive. However, I don't think he has a lot of support on your defensive corp. I like Ted green but after him I am am not impressed. You do have some good defensive players but will depend on Orr for almost all your offense from your dmen. Don't know that much about Soloubov other than he played for the Soviets in the 50's. I don't rate Soviet players that high from that era since they were losing to Senior A teams like Whitby, trial etc.
Our Strategy will be to wear Orr down by playing the puck on his side and having our RW's forecheck him vigourously. Topper & Balfour will be out against Orr as much as possible.

Your #1 Dman is Orr & he is much better than Pilote (which is no disrespect to Pilote). However, my next 3 are Brewer, White & Colville who are much better all round Dmen then Green, Sologubov, & Ludwig.

Forwards
You have already admitted that I have a slight edge here. I think it is more than slight. IMO, Ciccerelli is not a first line RW in an ATD context. Don't even think he is a strong 2nd line RW. Oates & Moore are great won't be enough with a weak RW.
2nd lines are close But I have 3 good 2 way players from the orig 6. All were AS's (interestingly they were all AS's at centre). Your 3rd & 4th lines are good but I think mine are better. Guys like Marshall, Balfour, Topper were effective both ways. Mackell always upped his game in the playoffs And Kurtenbach brings in the necessary toughness.

Sturminator
05-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Rayner didn't get much chance to show his talents in the playoffs but when given the opportunity did play well. In 1950 he led the Rangers to the 7th game of the fonal against the powerful redWings.

I found a good New York Times article (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DEED81439F93AA25751C0A9619482 60) about Rayner that gives an idea of just how close those 1950 Rangers came to winning the Cup. My dad says it was the biggest disappointment of his life as a hockey fan. Rayner's comments in the article do sort of suggest that Pat Egan was a bit of a minor penalty machine, but at any rate, the whole thing is a pretty good read.

Don't know that much about Soloubov other than he played for the Soviets in the 50's. I don't rate Soviet players that high from that era since they were losing to Senior A teams like Whitby, trial etc.

Sologubov won his last Directorate best defenseman award in 1960, only one year before Ragulin joined the team and three years before Alexander made his first IIHF all-star team. Of course, I think there is an open question about the era Ragulin played in, as well (until Jan Suchy started peaking in 1968, none of the other defensemen from that era are considered ATD material), but Sologubov's era is a little closer to Ragulin's than you make it out to be.

I think a good argument can be made that both Sologubov and Ragulin are legitimate ATD second pairing defensemen, though whether they are deserving of their current status as 6th rounders may be up for debate. Opinions will always vary a lot on players about whom there is somewhat sketchy information. Take it for what it's worth (it's hardly objective analysis), but the one German hockey fan I know who is old enough to remember both players says that Sologubov was better.

FissionFire
05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
A bit off-topic, but why do people seem to fixate on what round a guy is drafted in? It just seems people think someone was drafted too soon and use that as a mark against a player. One the actual draft part is over where a guy is drafted shouldn't even be mentioned because it has no impact on that teams makeup or playing ability.

Jungosi
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree that Dino is not a real first-line RW in an ATD-context but I think he adds some nice synergy to that line. Oates is a premium playmaker while Moore is both a strong playmaker and goalscorer but also some who isn't afraid of contact and getting into corners. Ciccarelli is basicly only doing two things on that line : Plating this butt in front of the net and piss goalies off. A nice bonus is that he also has Orr. In my opinion he should fare pretty well with Bobby(who doesn'). Esposito shattered scoring records by plating his (quote : ) 208 pounds of solid fat in front of the net. Orr definetly helped him a lot here. Dino is not Espo by any means but there are some similarities. That should help his production and makes him a solid producer on a first line.

You are also selling Sologubov a bit short here. It is said that it's a toss-up between him and Fetisov as the best Russian defenseman ever. He was also one of the first rushing defenseman and scored 132 goals in 350 soviet league games. That makes him capable of generating some offense.

God Bless Canada
05-29-2008, 01:04 AM
This series should have its fair share of scoring. Both teams have a lot of guys who can light it up offensively.

I think Buffalo's top line is one of the most potent in the draft. Two guys who are top 10 all-time at their respective positions (Mikita and Jackson), and you can make a top five case for both. Nedomansky is an excellent compliment. Ironic that the biggest guy on the line is also the least physical; Mikita and Jackson could both get involved physically. Bob Bourne will have his work cut out for him.

pappy's teams are always skilled, and always quick. The biggest change in recent drafts is that they've added the defensive element. Buffalo would be in big trouble against Primeau's line and Oates' line, and against Orr, without a strong checking line. They have two. Mackell's terrific defensively. And Kurtenbach's an ideal fourth line centre.

Both teams will get lots of offence from the defence, although Buffalo's is a little more spread out. Quebec won't get much beyond Orr and Sologubov. Why is Ted Green on the first PP unit? Or on a PP unit?

It's too bad Carl Brewer played in the 60s, and under Punch Imlach, because I think he's one of those guys who, if he was encouraged to get into the mix offensively, could have been a very, very effective point producer from the blue-line, while not sacrificing his overall game.

I really like Quebec's top two lines. Not as much as Buffalo's top two lines. My only concern from the start has been the presence of Broadway Bernie at LW. Oates and Primeau might be a little too similar for my liking - both are highly intelligent two-way playmaking centres, and I'm probably the only one who thinks Primeau is the better player. And both Oates and Primeau are flanked by talented offensive players with a little sandpaper in their game. (More than a little for Dickie Moore).

The one edge for Quebec is in net. I like Rayner as a No. 1; I definitely like Gardiner more. That's where you ideally get a goalie - late in the second round or early in the third round. There are still a few great goalies out there. But you get the chance to get one or two big difference-makers before selecting a goalie.

chaosrevolver
06-01-2008, 01:21 PM
3rd Period Meltdown Spells Game 1 Win For Bisons

Introduction:
Bobby Orr vs. Stan Mikita. That was the main matchup for this series. Both amazing players. Orr ofcourse being the best player ever, and Mikita a top-30 player ever. It was a dream-like matchup. Add in a pretty good goaltending matchup with Chuck Gardiner and Chuck Rayner. One thing that can be guarenteed is a Chuck will come out on top. Game 1 was to be played in Buffalo. A city who's passion has been recreated thanks to a great team and just as great fans. How would the Nordiques handel the Buffalo crowd? Will the Bisons thrive off the crowd? Who would win the goaltending matchup? Would Orr come out on top of Mikita in Game 1? Stay tuned if for these answers and more.

Pre-Game Warmup:
Simply put, "this is an important game", as said by Bisons coach Dick Irvin. Such an understatement stuck in his players mind going into the national anthems. "Don't let them feed off the crowd, you feed off the crowd", Jacque Lemaire stated in his pre-game meeting. Clearly, both coaches and teams were ready for this epic matchup.

First Period:
A dazzling period back-and-forth started with a 3-on-2 oppurtunity for the Bisons' Busher Jackson - Stan Mikita - Vaclav Nedomansky line. However, Chuck Gardiner would come up big with a nice skate-toe save on a Jackson shot. Bobby Orr would have his fair share of chances himself. With the fans booing him everytime he touched the puck, Bobby would go end to end and hit the crossbar behind Rayner on a shortside shot. Clearly luck was on Rayner's side early. The first goal of the game would come on a great point shot by Pierre Pilote that would sneak through Gardiner's pad, 1-0 Buffalo. Assists were by Stan Mikita and Bill White on the goal. This would be the only goal of the period, but certainly not the last of the chances. Once again Bobby Orr would come down end-to-end, and once again he would be stopped by the big red bar in his way as he fired one top shelf only to hit the crossbar. Shots at the end of the first were 10-8 in favour of Buffalo. Chances were 4-3 in favour of Quebec. But the only thing that mattered was that the Buffalo faithful were being as loud as they can as their team, the Buffalo Bisons, had a 1-0 lead after the first period.

http://www.hhof.com/graphfea/SCJ05_27e.jpg
Pierre Pilote was all smiles after his first period goal to give the Bisons a 1-0 lead.

Second Period:
Jacque Lemaire's message was simple. "Keep pressuring them. We have this game." The Quebec Nordiques came out with that message in the back of their minds and were firing on all cylinders right off the drop of the puck at center ice. Bobby Orr would quickly send Dickie Moore and Adam Oates in all alone. Moore to Oates, back to Moore, GOAL!!! 1-1 Tie. Assists would be recorded as Bobby Orr and Adam Oates. The play was certainly picking up and the fans were starting to get quiet. The Quebec Nordiques were just picking the Bisons' defense apart all period long. Dickie Moore would be sent all alone on a pass by Dino Ciccarelli only to be turned away on a great glove save by Rayner. But Chuck Rayner couldn't stop them all. Bobby Orr would slap home a powerplay goal from the point to make it 2-1 Quebec. Only assist on the play was courtesy of Ted Green. And with only .36 seconds remaining in the period, Orr would once again find the back of the net on a end-to-end rush which ended with a wrap-around goal to make it 3-1 Quebec heading into the third period. Shots in the period were 16-6 for Quebec. And chances 7-2 for the Nordiques. Such a weakly played period by Buffalo could come back to haunt them.

http://blog.habscast.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/bobby-orr-1.jpg
Bobby Orr and the rest of the Nordiques came flying out of the gates and have a 3-1 lead going into the third period.

Third Period:
Dick Irvin was ferious with his teams effort in the second period. "You looked like a bunch of chickens with your head cut off. It was a ******* DISGRACE!!!!. Get your heads out of your *** and start playing the game we know and love!" That kind of inspirtational rant propelled the Bisons too a dominant period. They were driven to keep the puck in the Quebec end at all times. And they did just that as they surrenderred just 1 shot in the first 10 minutes of the third period. In that time, it was ALL Buffalo. They recorded 12 shots, 8 chances, and 2 goals. The first goal was scored by Alex Delvecchio who would deke out both Nikolai Sologubov and then Chuck Gardiner. 3-2 Quebec. Buffalo wasnt done there as Tod Sloan would find the back of the net on a great pass by Delvecchio. 3-3 Tie. The Quebec section of fans were shocked while the 20+ Thousand Buffalo fans were screaming at the top of their lungs. They were thrilled. It was a great site to see. Chanting OLE OLE OLE OLE. You would think you were in Montreal! The Nordiques were caught flat-footed and it was all Bisons from the start to the finish. With 7:53 remaining in the third period, Stan Mikita would find Vaclav Nedomansky in the slot to make it 4-3 Buffalo. With the goalie pulled however, Quebec started taking control. Less than a minute remaining, Orr takes the shot!! Another post!! Orr get's the puck again, finds Moore all alone in front!! STONED BY RAYNER! Rayner passes the puck off to Pilote. Pilote finds Jackson going down the wing! Mikita right behind. Jackson drops the puck to Mikita.....GOAL!!! BUFFALO WINS GAME 1 5-3!!

http://cdn.nhl.com/redwings/bc/images/images/history/wingsoflegend/vadavnedomansky.jpg
Vaclav Nedomansky scored the game winner to give the Bisons a Game 1 Victory.

Post Game Press Conference:
"We sucked in the third...what more is there to say? We had a meltdown. They came out flying. We came out like little two-year old's. We will just have to come back and win game 2." - Jacque Lemaire

"Im really proud of our boys. I tore our dressing room apart in the 2nd intermission. They took everything I said and did and fueled their fire on the ice. And they won. Game 1 victors were us. And im just really proud of our team for responding so well and winning one for our great fans." - Dick Irvin

Jungosi
06-01-2008, 01:32 PM
:bow: :bow: and :handclap: are the only things that describe your write-ups. AWESOME dude!

chaosrevolver
06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Eat this Buffalo!

Introduction:
Game 1 was a terrific and intense matchup. We fully expect much of the same in Game 2. Would it be another comeback victory? Would it be high-scoring? All these answers and more to follow in game 2 of the Bob Cole Semi Final matchup between the Buffalo Bisons and the Quebec Nordiques.

Pre-Game Warmup:
GO BISONS GO! GO BISONS GO! GO BISONS GO! That was the general consensus within the arena as both teams took the ice for warmups. The crowd was on their feet the moment Chuck Rayner took one step on the ice. It was a great site to see. The other "Chuck", Chuck Gardiner was talking a bit of smack however. Gardiner was known as a fierce competitor and he was showing his confidence and concentration in the warmup. Not afraid of chirping the opposition, that is exactly what Gardiner did. He was overheard telling Stan Mikita that he would be lucky to score a goal on him for the rest of this period. And that at the end, Rayner would be fishing the puck out of his own net while he would be chanting "EAT THIS BUFFALO!" A sign of unclassiness or a sign of feriosity? Either way...what a beginning to this great Game 2 matchup.

First Period:
Clearly Chuck Gardiner was ready for this game. Not only could you tell that by his confidence in the pre-game warmup but also by his play in the first period. Gardiner faced a total of 14 shots including a breakaway for Nedomansky and a PP which saw a total of 5 shots. But the MVP of the first was by far Chuck Gardiner. Chuck Rayner was very solid in his own right, but he was also untested as he faced just 7 shots and 1 scoring chance. The play started off with a Stan Mikita slapshot that Gardiner just plucked out of the air as if he were catching a baseball from his 4 year-old son. It was just amazing how focused Gardiner was. even with the Buffalo crowd chanting, "GARDDDDINNNERR...GARDDDINNNERR", Chuck Gardiner still managed to be dominant. And at the end of the first, he pointed up to the crowd with his helmet off and just simply smiled. 0-0 after one period.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/members/splash/P194504S.jpg
Chuck Gardiner stood very tall in the first period as he completely dominated Buffalo.

Second Period:
"CRASH THE ****** NET!!I DONT CARE IF YOU HURT GARDINER, JUST GET IN HIS ****** WAY!!". That was Dick Irvin's message to his team in the first. Clearly emotions were taking over. Gardiner's guarentees and amazing first period fueled the fire for the Bisons. But at the beginning of the second period, it was much the same by Gardiner. He quickly stopped a 2-on-0 shot, making it look like taking candy from a baby. And then...controversy striked. Tod Sloan took the pass from Eddie Litzenberger and wristed one on Gardiner from the point. The play was expected to stop there. But Sloan didn't stop skating at Gardiner and went piling into him as he saw a loose puck. Gardiner and Sloan exchanged a set of punches before Sloan was put back into place. It just happens that "Terrible" Ted Green was on the ice when this incident took place. And he certainly left his mark as he went straight after Sloan and was on top of him with Tod bloodied by the end of the affair. Lemaire was furious with the refs as he felt Sloan went in on purpose. But it would be the Nordiques that would end up with the main punishments. Sloan would receive goaltender interference and roughing. Gardiner would get a roughing penalty. And Ted Green would take the biggest hit. A game misconduct, match penalty, 4 minutes for roughing and 2 minutes for slashing. It was a 4 minute powerplay for the Bisons, and they certainly wanted to take advantage. They would fire 9 shots on the 4-minute powerplay. However, once again Gardiner was unbeatable. As it would stay 0-0 after two, it was clear that Chuck Gardiner wasn't letting anything get by him.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/gfx/maki-green_392.jpg
A bloodied Ted Green ripped apart Tod Sloan however he would be kicked out and is facing suspension.

Third Period:
During the second intermission, Jacque Lemaire would walk down to the referee room and would yell and ***** at them as much as he could until he was restrained. He threw one of the refs waterbottles against the wall and certainly left the referees speechless going into the third. Lemaire was brought back into his room and said one thing to his team. "Win." The Nordiques came out flying without their star defenseman, Ted Green. They knew that they would have to come out firing on all cylinders and beat Rayner early. And that was exactly what they did. Bobby Orr took the puck up the ice and dropped a pass through his legs to forward Adam Oates who would swing the pass to his linemate Dickie Moore who would roof one over Rayner to give the Nordiques the 1-0 lead. The Buffalo crowd was shocked but knew they would have to keep cheering till the end. They kept chanting GARDDDINNERR...but it just wouldn't work. Chuck Gardiner was playing like Patrick Roy on his best days. And it clearly showed as he stopped another two-man advantage facing 7 shots. The fact was, Gardiner was the MVP of this game. Win or lose. With just 1:43 remaining, Dick Irvin made an interesting move as he pulled his goaltender. Stan Mikita would get the puck down low and would just miss the net from the top of the crease. A clear pyschological problem thanks to the amazing play of Gardiner. It was clear this game would go the Nordiques way. And once Bobby Orr would fire one down the ice into the Buffalo net, it was confirmed. The Buffalo crowd silenced, the Quebec team smiling like they have never smiled before. And finally, Chuck Gardiner, without his mask, pointed up to the crowd mouthing the words..."Eat this Buffalo!." Game ends 2-0 Quebec.

http://www.hhof.com/graphfea/SCJ05_29a.jpg
Dickie Moore scored the GWG for the Quebec Nordiques as they tie the series up at 1.

"Yes, we won. And im happy we won. However, I just got news we have lost Ted Green for 2 games. And that hurts us alot. It will simply be an even tougher task now. But if there is one team that can do it, its this team. These are an amazing bunch of kids." - Jacque Lemaire

"I will not get into the Sloan incident. I will just point out that he did nothing wrong. That Lemaire guy certainly likes running a unclassy team over there and that is all that needs to be said on that incident. We played a great three periods but their goalie was unbeatable. We will get them back for this disgrace of attitude." - Dick Irvin

chaosrevolver
06-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I am going to go out golfing so I will finish these later. Sorry to keep everyone on there toes and thanks Jungosi for the kind words.

chaosrevolver
06-01-2008, 06:27 PM
"Terrible" Ted Green Suspended for 2 Games

Quebec Nordiques defenseman, Ted Green will be suspended 2 postseason games for an on-ice conflict with Buffalo Bisons center Tod Sloan. The conflict started when Sloan appeared to go into goaltender Chuck Gardiner unharmed and then took shots at the netminder. Green came in and used his stick and fists as a weapon. The ATD Commisioner stated that had Green not used his stick there might not have been a suspension, but once he used it, definetly 2 games is worth the act. It appears that Tomas Jonsson, extra defender for Quebec, will be inserted into Green's place.

chaosrevolver
06-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Ill finish this and another series up tommorow. Hopefully no one minds. My mom needs the comp.

chaosrevolver
06-02-2008, 05:29 PM
With Green Out, Quebec Shocks Bisons!

Introduction:
Going into this game, one very large story line is built in place for this game. Ted Green was suspended 2 games for an on-ice incident involving Bisons forward, Tod Sloan. So with the first pairing defenseman out, how will the Quebec Nordiques come out in this one?

Pre-Game Warmup:
SLOAN SUCKS!! SLOAN SUCKS!! SLOAN SUCKS!! That was the chant everyone was cheering in Quebec that night. It would last all 60 minutes and the pregame. It certainly was a roudy crowd in Quebec, but I guess we shouldnt expect anything less.

First Period:
The Buffalo Bisons came flying out of the gates. Right off the bat there was a goal. Just .27 seconds into the game, Alex Delvecchio came zooming in over the line and wristed the puck blocker side low. 1-0 Buffalo. The Bisons weren't done there as Gardiner would give up a PP goal on a nice backdoor pass from Mikita to Jackson. 2-0 Buffalo. But before the end of the first, the Nordiques would strike back. Bobby Orr would find Mark Recchi streaking over the line to make it 2-1. And that's what the score would be after the first period. Gardiner faced 9 shots total, giving up 2 goals while also facing 3 scoring chances. Chuck Rayner faced 7 shots and 1 scoring chance which accumulated the only goal against him. It was quiet for most of the first in the arena. But by the end of the first, the fans were satisfied with the score and ready for a great second period. Safe to say, they would get that wish.

http://www.islesblogger.com/wp/wp-admin/images/recchi.jpg
Mark Recchi would find the back of the net for the second goal of the game.

Second Period:
It was all quiet in both dressing rooms. Both teams realized the importance of this game. Both coaches simply nodded their heads at the men before them. Ted Green just sat beside Bobby Orr in the Nordique dressing room...as he stared down the floor. It was game time and they knew it. They knew that the second period was the period, that a back could be broken. It was a period that would set the tone for the home stretch. It was a period that both teams couldn't afford to lose. With the score 2-1 Buffalo going into the second period, the Nordiques were motivated to even it up quickly. And that they did. Bobby Orr would find Busher Jackson around the hashmarks and he would wrister a weak one by Rayner. Certainly one that Chucky R would want back. 2-2 Tie Game. Nordiques werent finished there though. Once again Bobby Orr would dominate the play as he would streak over the line and make a sweet and slick saucer pass over to Gary Dornhoefer who just had to tap it home. 3-2 Quebec. With 2:34 remaining in the period, Tomas Jonsson would streak over the line, fake Mackell out of his pants, and slap one through the legs of Rayner. 4-2 Quebec. It was the last goal of the period and the Nordiques realized how important it was. Ted Green was caught jumping up-and-down as his fill in scored the very important insurance goal. However, the Nordiques players had been in this situation before. And they know just how easy it is for Buffalo to come back.

http://www.hammarbyhockey.se/Historia/bilder/78pelleryss3.jpg
Tomas Jonsson hammered in the all important insurance goal to make it 4-2 Quebec.

Third Period:
"IT ISNT OVER!" That was the message that both coaches had for their players. Buffalo had been in this situation before and rallied to come back and win game one. Same game but different result for Quebec. They had a commanding lead going into the third and were shocked to lose in regulation. It was something they were not going to relive, especially at home. Right off the bat a message was sent to the Buffalo bench as Craig Ludwig layed out Tod Sloan right in the middle of the ice. Rayner was pressured often in the third. 16-4 were the shots in the third as Buffalo couldn't get anything going. Jonsson played like a wizard. And Gardiner was a wall. A wall that would not be beaten in the third. Quebec wins Game 3, 4-2.

http://www3.telus.net/Orr/orrretires.jpg
3 Assists for Orr lead the way as Quebec takes the series lead.

"Great game by everyone. We held on to that lead like it was our one true love. Jonsson filled in great and Bobby and Chuck played the way they needed too tonight." - Jacque Lemaire

"We didnt take advantage of the situation we had them in. Its a tough loss to take as they have the series lead. Next game is a must-win. If we don't..we could be done." - Dick Irvin

VanIslander
06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't think we've ever had a #4 seed even make it to a divisional final.
Could this be the biggest upset in ATD history in the making?

chaosrevolver
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Bisons Edge Nordiques to Tie Series at 2

Bobby Orr would score the first goal of the game on an end to end rush but thats all that Quebec could contribute in putting past Rayner as Alex Delvecchio and Busher Jackson would score a goal each to give the Buffalo Bisons the 2-1 win. Stan Mikita recorded assists on both goals. Chuck Rayner made 26 saves for the win while Chuck Gardiner made 38 saves in the lost.

Three Stars of the Game:
1. Busher Jackson (1 G, 1 A, Goal was Gamewinner)
2. Chuck Gardiner (38 Saves on 40 Shots)
3. Stan Mikita (2 A, +2)

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/members/splash/P197101S.jpg
Busher Jackson scored the game winning goal with just 5:03 remaining.

chaosrevolver
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Bisons Plow Over Nordiques in High-Shooting Affair

Stan Mikita would score 2 goals and also had 3 assists as the Buffalo Bisons would beat the Quebec Nordiques 5-2 to give Buffalo the 3-2 series lead. Busher Jackson, Vaclav Nedomansky, and Pierre Pilote had the other goals for Buffalo. Both Pilote and Mikita had 5 points in the game. Bobby Orr would score a goal and assist on Ted Green's goal in his first game back from suspension. Chuck Rayner stopped 21 of 23 shots while Gardiner faced 47 shots and stopped 42 of them.

3 Stars of the Game:
1. Stan Mikita (2 Goals, 3 Assists, +4)
2. Pierre Pilote (1 Goal, 4 Assists, +5)
3. Vaclav Nedomansky (1 Goal, 2 Assists, +4)

Buffalo leads series 3-2.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/graphspot/one_mikita04.jpg
Stan Mikita would score 2 goals and add 3 assists as the Bisons take a 3-2 series lead.

chaosrevolver
06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Bisons Take 3 Straight to Win Series!

It was the Bobby Orr show, but in the end the Bisons would get the last laugh. Orr would score 3 goals and add an assist. But Stan Mikita and Pierre Pilote combined for 5 goals as the Buffalo Bisons would take the series' last game 5-4. Chuck Rayner faced 33 shots in the win. Chuck Gardiner faced 52 shots including 3 breakaways in the unfortunate and heartbreaking loss.

3 Stars of the Game:
1. Stan Mikita (3 Goals, 1 Assist, +3)
2. Pierre Pilote (2 Goals, 3 Assists, +4)
3. Bobby Orr (3 Goals, 1 Assist, +2)

Buffalo wins series 4-2.

Transplanted Caper
06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Congrats to the Bisons, and to the Nordiques as well for a solid performance.

pappyline
06-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Jungosi, Great effort from a great team. Look forward to seeing you in future drafts

shawnmullin
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Good team for Jungosi and a good job.

Nice write-ups Chaos.

Pappy it's good to see your knowledge rewarded this time around.

chaosrevolver
06-03-2008, 08:55 PM
http://www.highhopes.com/5star3.jpg
1. Bobby Orr (8 Goals, 8 Assists, 16 Points)
2. Stan Mikita (6 Goals, 8 Assists, 14 Points)
3. Pierre Pilote (4 Goals, 10 Assists, 14 Points)

Goaltending Statistics
Chuck Rayner: 4-2-0, 2.66 GAA, .910 SV%
Chuck Gardiner: 2-4-0, 3.00 GAA, .920 SV%

Congrats to Pappy and the Bisons. Sorry that I couldnt have all the writeups be great long ones.

pappyline
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Chaos, you did a nice job on the write-ups. I really appreciate your efforts.

chaosrevolver
06-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Chaos, you did a nice job on the write-ups. I really appreciate your efforts.Thanks, its too bad I couldnt keep them like the first three. But it was so time consuming and I have another two series to do. But yea...thanks.

Jungosi
06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I knew I was "doomed" when I saw that the Nordiques would be up against the Bisons. pappy I really respect you as a gm and a poster on this boards and would like to wish you good luck for the next round(s). And thanks to chaosresolver for the great write-ups.