Jason Karmanos Back

Gotta Catch Em Staal
06-18-2008, 06:47 AM
I think JR kind of let this slip yesterday; the "State of the Canes" video posted on the official site caught me by surprise when he talked about Ron Francis and Jason Karmanos working with Albany.

The N&O confirms it this morning: http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/1111948.html

"I honestly thought I might do something different," Jason Karmanos said. "But in relatively short order I found myself being pulled back by the team and my interest level in the game. It was good to step away. I took some time and found out this is where my heart is."

Karmanos is now effectively sharing duties with Ron Francis, who was promoted to assistant GM after Karmanos' departure. Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford said there's plenty of work to go around.

"Other NHL teams have at least two in that position Jason and Ronnie will be in," Rutherford said. "We've always had one. Some teams have three. He'll do the same duties. It will just be split up a little more."

HughJass*
06-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, when I was watching that video the other day I thought I had missed something. LOL Interesting situation, but two assistant GMs should be better than one. Maybe now we'll find out eventually why he left in the first place. In theory, this should help out with the scouting more, too.

caniac247
06-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah, when I was watching that video the other day I thought I had missed something. LOL Interesting situation, but two assistant GMs should be better than one. Maybe now we'll find out eventually why he left in the first place. In theory, this should help out with the scouting more, too.

Or maybe he just really didn't know what direction he wanted to take his career. He is just lucky enough that he is able to take 9 months off to figure it out, unlike us, who have to have a job.

HughJass*
06-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Or maybe he just really didn't know what direction he wanted to take his career.

Yeah, probably right on that. The speculator in me likes to come out.

Cardiac_Canes
06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Ya, I caught that too but didn't think much of it. Maybe this will allow Francis a little more time doing some player development. Who doesn't want a hall of famer working with our kids.

Vagrant
06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Perhaps he found out that things weren't so easy with father moneybags owning the company you're trying to advance with.

knucklehead3k
06-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Perhaps he found out that things weren't so easy with father moneybags owning the company you're trying to advance with.

sort of makes me wonder what triggered him to leave in the first place.