torero
07-03-2008, 04:04 PM
So we will have :
Streit playing for the Islanders
Gerber for the Senators
Hiller for the Ducks.

Does soemone know if :

Tobias Stephan will stay in Iowa ?
Ramholt will probably play with the Philadelphia Phantoms/AHL ?
Will Sbisa have a shot in Philadelphia ?
what will predators do with Josi.
what is going to happen to Yannick Weber.
where is Simek going to play. (Canucks ?)
what happend in the Blue's trainig camp with Berra ?
What happened to Luca Cunti ?

i imagine that Manzato will stay in Albany /AHL/Huricanes.
i also imagine that Julien Sprunger will stay in Switzerland.

Did i forget someone ?

What do you think about those players ? where do you see them in some years ?

torero
07-04-2008, 02:55 AM
I just read something on Dallas, saying that Stephan would be backing Turco !
(some Hiller-Stephan duels ?)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/070808dnspostarslede.417c882.html?npc

Anyone has another Buzz ?

Hopefully our goalies will be paving the way for some field players. They deserve better than this "swiss cheese" reputation they have.
(though they should NOT play in NLA or they WILL become soft !)

On Axis
07-04-2008, 09:17 PM
About Berra:

He came to the Blues' prospect camp last week and looked decent. However, there isn't much room for him to get quality playing time in the minors, unless he wants to play in Alaska of the ECHL. With the lack of a transfer agreement now, I think the Blues will have him get quality time in Switzerland for now, until our goalie situation pans out.

torero
07-05-2008, 07:32 PM
About Berra:

He came to the Blues' prospect camp last week and looked decent. However, there isn't much room for him to get quality playing time in the minors, unless he wants to play in Alaska of the ECHL. With the lack of a transfer agreement now, I think the Blues will have him get quality time in Switzerland for now, until our goalie situation pans out.

i am afraid that he may not get enough quality time in Switzerland. Last year he started playing in Davos with another goalie ... both were suposed to share time on ice. the other goalie ended beeing first goalie. so he turned a bit in a backup.

Hopefully he will get more ice time this year. He deserves it.

devilman
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Tobias Stephan will stay in Iowa ? See above, projected backup in Dallas
Ramholt will probably play with the Philadelphia Phantoms/AHL ? yes
Will Sbisa have a shot in Philadelphia ? no, 1 more year juniors
what will predators do with Josi. stays in Bern with an extended role with the senior team of SC Bern
what is going to happen to Yannick Weber. maybe ahl
where is Simek going to play. (Canucks ?) ahl
what happend in the Blue's trainig camp with Berra ?
What happened to Luca Cunti ? maybe ahl, but got drafted by the Rimouski Océanic

i imagine that Manzato will stay in Albany /AHL/Huricanes. ahl
i also imagine that Julien Sprunger will stay in Switzerland. stays one more year

There's also Roman Wick, OTT, who'll stay with Kloten Flyers

Analyzer
07-13-2008, 01:27 PM
There is rumour that Montreal might sign Yannick Weber to play in the AHL this year.

swisdan
07-18-2008, 01:13 PM
A good thread.

All the swissplayers who were out of Switerland last year:

http://www.cpacon.com/~suissehockey/stats.htm

Is somebody interesting to take over my web site? I'm definitiely too busy this time.

Rafik Soliman
07-22-2008, 06:03 AM
It will be an interessting year for Swiss Nord America Players....

For Tim Ramholt it's probably a make it or break it season! Although, Philly is a nice City, not so big so maybe he'll like it there? But there will be always offers from Switzerland which he has resisted for many years now....
Sbisa will probably spent another year in the CHL. With an increased role and tons of Ice Time! Probably has another Shot at the Memorial Cup!

Tobias Stephan's time is now! I hope he knows his chances and prepares himself well for the new season. The backup job is his to lose, and since there are a lot of Free Agent Goalies, the Stars will hire one soon when Stephan should falter....

As for Weber, he still could play another year in the WHL as an Overager... But will this help his developement? I don't know... On the other side, there will be a lot of defenders on the Roster of the Hamilton Bulldogs. Can he get enough Ice Time? Will he have to go to Cinncianti, the recent ECHL-Champion?

Cunti will probably join the Rimouski Oceanic, since the level of play in major junior is higher than in the tier 1 USHL.... Cunti originally wanted to play for the NCAA St. Cloud University but got dismissed because the NCAA said he had a pro contract with the organisation of the ZSC Lions.... He could prove, that he didn't had one....

Berra, Sprunger and Wick still have no Entry Level Contracts and from now on are Free Agents and need invitations to training camps.... Berra is now in the St.Louis Camp, and I hope for him, that he takes whatever contract he gets and goes ECHL or UHL or whatever league they want him to play... He's so talented but needs playing time and that he won't get in Davos since he's sharing his playing time with Leonardo Genoni, who's always battled with him for the starter role (with the EHC Dubendorf, the GCK Lions and the U20 Swiss National Team). Genoni is kind of Berras nemesis....

worstfaceoffmanever
07-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Does Josi still have a contract with Bern?

torero
07-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Does Josi still have a contract with Bern?

He will, with certainty, play with Bern in the coming season (08/09).

This must, IMHO, imply a contract with Bern.

Yet he also has a contract with the Predators since he was drafted by them.

To tell the truth, i do not really understand how these "draft" contracts work ... i can imagine a form but it would be nice if a knowledgeable person could give a clear explanations on how it works. With whom the player has the contract ... what the player is suposed to do, ... as long as he is not playing for the team or the farm team ... does he has the choice where to play ... and so on ... in the case of Josi, does Nashville has the contract with Bern ?? does nashville have a "call" option contract with Josi ???

tks

Rafik Soliman
07-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Jup, Josi has a contract with the SC Bern until 2008/2009. After that he will be a Free Agent...

Josi has not signed a contract with the Nashville Predators yet. The Preds have drafted him and own his right for two years.

That means they need to have him under contract within two years. Otherwise they will lose the rights to Roman Josi and he'll become an unrestricted Free Agent and can sign an Entry Level Contract with every team in the NHL.

But now with no agreement between the NHL and the IIHF Josi has to be a Free Agent in Switzerland to come over to North America or have an "NHL out-Clause" in his Swiss-Contract... But the co-existence of an NHL-Contract and a swiss-contract should work. Kevin Romy has signed a NHL-Contract with the Philly Flyers, but is currently playing with the HC Lugano.

Pretty complicated.... I'm not even sure if I wrote it right... LOL:rant::amazed::shakehead

worstfaceoffmanever
07-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Jup, Josi has a contract with the SC Bern until 2008/2009. After that he will be a Free Agent...

Josi has not signed a contract with the Nashville Predators yet. The Preds have drafted him and own his right for two years.

That means they need to have him under contract within two years. Otherwise they will lose the rights to Roman Josi and he'll become an unrestricted Free Agent and can sign an Entry Level Contract with every team in the NHL.

But now with no agreement between the NHL and the IIHF Josi has to be a Free Agent in Switzerland to come over to North America or have an "NHL out-Clause" in his Swiss-Contract... But the co-existence of an NHL-Contract and a swiss-contract should work. Kevin Romy has signed a NHL-Contract with the Philly Flyers, but is currently playing with the HC Lugano.

Pretty complicated.... I'm not even sure if I wrote it right... LOL:rant::amazed::shakehead

It's pretty complicated, but you covered it pretty well.

Also, with the lack of an IIHF transfer agreement, the whole "signed within two years" rule is kind of up in the air, so they may actually have MORE than two years to sign their European prospects.

The Predators did three "sign-and-loans" last year with European prospects: Patric Hörnqvist, Teemu Laakso, and Robert Dietrich. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with Josi and bring him over next year.

swisdan
08-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Are you sure that Nashville's option on Josi lasts only 2 years?

It seems very short.

worstfaceoffmanever
08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Are you sure that Nashville's option on Josi lasts only 2 years?

It seems very short.

Well, I think the PA wanted to make things fair on prospects with the new CBA, because NHL clubs used to get the rights to European players for 5 years, and only got the rights to North American junior players for two years (and 4 years for NCAA, but that's for different reasons). Reducing the time for which a team retains a Euro's rights allows more teams to negotiate with that player and possibly bring him over to the NHL, or allow European clubs to sign the player without the risk of him bolting for the club that holds his NHL rights.

Of course, with the lack of an transfer agreement, there's talk that the rules for rights to European players will return to the old five-year exclusivity.

Rafik Soliman
08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Well, I think the PA wanted to make things fair on prospects with the new CBA, because NHL clubs used to get the rights to European players for 5 years, and only got the rights to North American junior players for two years (and 4 years for NCAA, but that's for different reasons). Reducing the time for which a team retains a Euro's rights allows more teams to negotiate with that player and possibly bring him over to the NHL, or allow European clubs to sign the player without the risk of him bolting for the club that holds his NHL rights.

Of course, with the lack of an transfer agreement, there's talk that the rules for rights to European players will return to the old five-year exclusivity.

I'm pretty sure, that the NHL-Team holds the rights for a Player for only two years... It's the same with Roman Wick, Julien Sprunger and Reto Berra... Whom theoretically are unrestricted Free Agents.

But wasn't it in the old CBA, that a NHL-Team held the rights of an Euro until he reached the UFA-Age of 30!? I'm pretty sure, that it was more than 5 years....

worstfaceoffmanever
08-01-2008, 01:50 PM
He will, with certainty, play with Bern in the coming season (08/09).

This must, IMHO, imply a contract with Bern.

Yet he also has a contract with the Predators since he was drafted by them.

To tell the truth, i do not really understand how these "draft" contracts work ... i can imagine a form but it would be nice if a knowledgeable person could give a clear explanations on how it works. With whom the player has the contract ... what the player is suposed to do, ... as long as he is not playing for the team or the farm team ... does he has the choice where to play ... and so on ... in the case of Josi, does Nashville has the contract with Bern ?? does nashville have a "call" option contract with Josi ???

tks

Josi being drafted by the Predators is NOT the equivalent of signing a contract with the Predators. Patric Hörnqvist was drafted in 2005 but didn't sign a deal until the spring of 2007.
The Predators DO, however, hold exclusive NHL negotiating rights with Josi (European clubs are free to negotiate with him if they so choose). The Preds will still have to get Josi to sign an entry-level contract before their exclusivity window expires.

Once signed to that contract, though, the Predators can loan the player back to the European team if they feel he needs further development time or if he wants to return to Europe to play out his contract with a European club. In both situations, the contract does not become active until the season in which the player first comes to North America. However, once a player is loaned to a European club, that loan lasts the duration of the season. Unlike with major-junior players, a player on loan in Europe with an NHL contract cannot be recalled by the NHL team that season. He is effectively lost to the organization for a year, but it doesn't count against his NHL contract.

Does that make sense?

torero
08-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Josi being drafted by the Predators is NOT the equivalent of signing a contract with the Predators. Patric Hörnqvist was drafted in 2005 but didn't sign a deal until the spring of 2007.
The Predators DO, however, hold exclusive NHL negotiating rights with Josi (European clubs are free to negotiate with him if they so choose). The Preds will still have to get Josi to sign an entry-level contract before their exclusivity window expires.

Once signed to that contract, though, the Predators can loan the player back to the European team if they feel he needs further development time or if he wants to return to Europe to play out his contract with a European club. In both situations, the contract does not become active until the season in which the player first comes to North America. However, once a player is loaned to a European club, that loan lasts the duration of the season. Unlike with major-junior players, a player on loan in Europe with an NHL contract cannot be recalled by the NHL team that season. He is effectively lost to the organization for a year, but it doesn't count against his NHL contract.

Does that make sense?

Tks for this clear explanation.

Yet to make full sense in my mind and to clearly understand these draft deals, i would need a last explanation ...

This draft affaire looks like an option ... a right to excercise ... to contract the player during a determined period of time. After expiry the player is free to play for any NHL/AHL team he wants (he becomes UFA).

Now , what does the draftee get in this drafts contracts. In the case of Josy ... Predators have the right on him ... in the name of what ? or put differently , what does Josy receive in exchange of giving up his freedom on "NHL Land" for the determined periode ??

Rafik Soliman
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Tks for this clear explanation.

Yet to make full sense in my mind and to clearly understand these draft deals, i would need a last explanation ...

This draft affaire looks like an option ... a right to excercise ... to contract the player during a determined period of time. After expiry the player is free to play for any NHL/AHL team he wants (he becomes UFA).

Now , what does the draftee get in this drafts contracts. In the case of Josy ... Predators have the right on him ... in the name of what ? or put differently , what does Josy receive in exchange of giving up his freedom on "NHL Land" for the determined periode ??

I'm not sure exactly what you mean?

With a contract, Josi gets the Chance to battle for a roster spot with the Nashville Predators. And normally an Entry Level contains also a Signing Bonus.

Before, with the IIHF-NHL Agreement the NHL payed an amount of $200k to the club who trained the Player in Europe, in this case it would have been the SC Bern. But with no Tranfseragreement, there won't be any payment, but the Player can not go to North America if he's still under contract with his European Club or has not an NHL-out Clause in his contract (as seen now with Victor Tikhonov, Jason Krog and so on)....

torero
08-04-2008, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean?

With a contract, Josi gets the Chance to battle for a roster spot with the Nashville Predators. And normally an Entry Level contains also a Signing Bonus.

Before, with the IIHF-NHL Agreement the NHL payed an amount of $200k to the club who trained the Player in Europe, in this case it would have been the SC Bern. But with no Tranfseragreement, there won't be any payment, but the Player can not go to North America if he's still under contract with his European Club or has not an NHL-out Clause in his contract (as seen now with Victor Tikhonov, Jason Krog and so on)....

So in essence, the draftee (Josy) gives up his freedom in North America to have the opportunity to battle for a playing spot at the drafter (Predators) team.

I am still surprised the player or draftee gets no financial compensation. tks for your usefull explanations.

worstfaceoffmanever
08-05-2008, 06:45 AM
So in essence, the draftee (Josy) gives up his freedom in North America to have the opportunity to battle for a playing spot at the drafter (Predators) team.

I am still surprised the player or draftee gets no financial compensation. tks for your usefull explanations.

Well, I think most of the financial compensation comes in the form of making more money than you ever could dream of making in Europe, don't you? :P

And to comment on the original post... Tobias Stephan is the backup in Dallas this year. Hull and Jackson have said that it's his job to lose and they still haven't signed anyone, so he's probably gonna be the #2 going forward.

torero
08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Yannick Weber has been contracted by the Canadiens for 3 years. He will certainly spend some years with the Hamilton bulldogs or Cincinatti Cycones if their are to many defenders in Hamilton as described by Crackster here above.

reference article :
http://www.eishockey.ch/news/detail.asp?ID=317107

Little surprise ... he was a good player at Kitchener Rangers (if not an essential with some other promising elements ) ... had the trophy of the strongest shot (or fastest )... a same style than Streit ... in competition with Suban ...

but apparently, according to the way the mentioned article speaks about it, it has now been inked.

Here is the shaekespear's language version
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=379601

Rafik Soliman
08-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Great for Weber....

Hope he finds his Game quickly after his surgery which he had in the offseason!?
He still could play as an overager in the OHL, but I hope and don't think that will happen....

torero
10-02-2008, 06:49 AM
In preseason ... 2 of our rookies are doing pretty well :

Weber (MTL) and Sbisa (Flyers).

Weber is accumulating points in preseason playing with Canadians and seems to be enjoying the favour of the structure ... Carboneau even seems to be sort of "proud of him" !! Yet according to chats on this board, he will have to go to AHL being "not NHL ready" for the coming year. His powerfull shot is specially appreciated (he won the highest speed shot last year as a junior) yet according to some comments, regretfully this shot often misses the target.

Sbisa also seems to be enjoying games with the flyers. Not having seen 1 of his games so far, but having read some literature .... apparently he is gaining strong support among journalists and fans ... but again, he is like Weber, he is deemed "not NHL ready" by many of the fans yet controversy is mounting (among fans !! professionals and trainers may perfectly know what they are doing !)
Interesting thread on him http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=554316

Stephen also appeared a couple of times in Star's goals.
His performance in %saves was below average, yet most of the goals he received were in penalty situation. Clime, his eventual competitor who had some good games is in the same situation, Even Turco, the starting goalie has %saves below .9 ... most of goals are in penalty situation again. Dallas seems to have a problem in penalty killing but it is preseason and i am not too worried about them. In all cases he seems to be the backup goalie. (nothing seems to be fixed in such a competitive environment.) read very positive comments on his skills in the training camp.

Manzato played for Carolina ... He wasn't very successfull with 4 goals in 14 shots. Since he didn't reapear ... .
We still hope the best for him and we know that over time he will become a solid NHL goalie (maybe he was impressed and colapsed like Bern ??!) ... i think (like with Bern) that this doesn't reflect his true value. Very positive comments were made on him by his trainer before preseason games.

Most of thes news are good news !! maybe one of Sbisa, Weber or Manzato will be called during regular season as injuries or sicknesses may hit some teams and then, ... if they play well and if they matured enough ... who knows ??

For the confirmed players ... Gerber and Hiller are doing very well, i saw no games of Islanders with Streit and couldn't find any meaningfull comment on him.

Other comments are welcome.

jonas234567
10-02-2008, 11:59 AM
If Sbisa gets sent back to Juniors he cannot be recalled. Maybe he'll start the first few games with the Flyers and then they send him back.

Anyway, very nice camp of those two. Together with Josi Switzerland has a very strong defense coming and I wouldn't be very surprise when we'll see at least one of those (or perhaps all) at the WC in Switzerland next May.

torero
10-04-2008, 03:51 AM
If Sbisa gets sent back to Juniors he cannot be recalled. Maybe he'll start the first few games with the Flyers and then they send him back.

Anyway, very nice camp of those two. Together with Josi Switzerland has a very strong defense coming and I wouldn't be very surprise when we'll see at least one of those (or perhaps all) at the WC in Switzerland next May.

exactly what jonas 234567 said ...

It has now been signed with the flyers ... and he is likelly to return with the juniors after some couple of games.

It still is a very serious next step ... he may be recalled during the season ... and maybe end up as a regular player this year.

Congratulations Luca !!!

torero
10-14-2008, 08:10 AM
A further development about Sbisa.

He is playing with the Flyers to replace Parent. Apparently he is playing very well. Has been lined up in the second D pair. Yesterday's game against Canadiens (who sent Weber to AHL), he played 21.05 minutes ... the 5th most used player of the whole roster ... which talks about his reliability ...

The discussion is wether they will send him back to AHL or not after 9 games. According to many on this board as well as newspapers ... he is more likely to stay in NHL due to the maturity / quality / sense of hockey he offers and displays.

Probably another Swiss field player in NH

18 yrs old and playing in NHL is an outstanding achievement.

another : Well done Luca !! Siamo dietro di te.

Eagle Eye Cherry
10-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Streit for the Norris!

jonas234567
10-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Hehe, but he indeed plays very good, saw him twice. He shows also very good defensive skills out there.

And Sbisa stays with the Flyers, great news for Swiss hockey. Next year Weber is following and with Josi another great defender is knocking on the NHL-door. And there are also rumours that Julien Sprunger is close to an agreement with a team, in fact several teams are interested in him.

torero
10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
YEAH ! great new for swiss hockey !

Sbisa stays in NHL. bravo Luca !! (i know it's the third time is write a "bravo Luca" but he deserves it )

here is a link talking about it :

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20081028_Flyers_decide_to_keep_young_defenseman.ht ml

great for Sprunger. Do you know by any chance what team is interested in him ?

jonas234567
10-29-2008, 05:21 AM
There were some news in "Le Matin" I think where he told that he's talking with 3 teams and that he wants to get it done before christmas and that it looks very good. But no special teams where named.

Rafik Soliman
11-05-2008, 10:00 AM
There were some news in "Le Matin" I think where he told that he's talking with 3 teams and that he wants to get it done before christmas and that it looks very good. But no special teams where named.

I'm not even sure if NHL-teams are allowed to sign players during the season?

The Brunnstrom-sweapstake were the same. A lot of talking but they weren't able to sign him until the season of the team was finished.... I could be wrong, but I think this is the way it is....

Roman Wick is also a player who wan't to get into the NHL and he has an outstanding season so far playing with Kimmo Rintanen and Tommi Santala in a line....

Rumours were around last year, that the New York Rangers were interessted in Beat Forster and Andreas Ambühl. But I'm not sure if there's something on that rumour?

koh19
11-06-2008, 11:17 AM

The Brunnstrom-sweapstake were the same. A lot of talking but they weren't able to sign him until the season of the team was finished.... I could be wrong, but I think this is the way it is....

Roman Wick is also a player who wan't to get into the NHL and he has an outstanding season so far playing with Kimmo Rintanen and Tommi Santala in a line....

Rumours were around last year, that the New York Rangers were interessted in Beat Forster and Andreas Ambühl. But I'm not sure if there's something on that rumour?

yeah, Ambuhl and Wick are having one hell of a season. Wick is almost nhl ready and I wouldn't mind seing ambuhl as an agitator, speedy grinder type player (perhaps on a 3rd line....)

torero
11-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Among the good news we have on swiss hockey players is Streit.
He seems to be doing a good job in his new team. Beyond very decent stats, fans seem to apreciate him.

I just read a thread on this board that really pleased me.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=569530

Regretfully i saw no game so far.

torero
11-06-2008, 05:00 PM

I know very little about NHL rules to sign people during the year but when you see the Sundin story or other players that were signed ... during the year ... i am surprised by your remark.

Ambühl is impressive ... hopefully he gets a shot, same for Wick.

Let's pray for Gerber ... again a bad period !!! maybe playing under the loup (in Canada where any small thing is watched and critisised) doesn't fit him ? He is good. Why can't he find stability ?

koh19
11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
yeah, gerber looks shaky but I think he's getting the start tomorrow vs. carolina. Let's hope he can make an impression and get his number 1 spot back.

Tobias Stephan is learning, first season in the NHL. His 1st win was quite impressive.

Hiller looks awesome. IMO him and Giguere form the best goaltending duo in the league. I wouldn't be surprised to see teams make a pitch at him during the offseason. He has number 1 potential.

Sbisa...what can I say...Incredibly impressive for an 18 year old with the Flyers!!! This is not the Thrashers here...Philadelphia Flyers, one of the best teams in the league. Top 4 minutes!

IT'S BLOODY TIME NOW TO HAVE A SWISS FORWARD IN THE NHL!!!! We've only got d-men and goalies.

Possible forwards include: Wick, Sprunger, Ambuehl, Romy (?)

Eagle Eye Cherry
11-08-2008, 06:39 PM
From what I`ve read from other forums, the Habs, Preds and the Blues were interested in Ambuhl and Sprunger.

I could see Sprunger getting a shot and as far as Ambuhl goes, maybe a cup of coffee in the NHL. Wick has a chance as well, just give it a season or two, he`ll get a sniff from some NHL teams, imo.

torero
11-09-2008, 05:15 PM
From what I`ve read from other forums, the Habs, Preds and the Blues were interested in Ambuhl and Sprunger.

I could see Sprunger getting a shot and as far as Ambuhl goes, maybe a cup of coffee in the NHL. Wick has a chance as well, just give it a season or two, he`ll get a sniff from some NHL teams, imo.

I am sorry, i do not understand you .... you mean Ambuhl has nothing to do in the NHL or you mean that he could be tried by someone ??

stv11
11-10-2008, 05:02 AM
I'd say that Ambühl's style fits better with the NHL than Sprunger's. Unfortunately, lack of size might worry NHL teams interested in giving him a look.

Eagle Eye Cherry
11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I am sorry, i do not understand you .... you mean Ambuhl has nothing to do in the NHL or you mean that he could be tried by someone ??

some teams will give him a try out offer, thats about it.

torero
11-10-2008, 06:17 PM
News on Tim Ramholt :

He was bought in an exchange by Nashville predators and sent to Milwaukee admirals (AHL)

so far collected 2 assists with the Admirals.

Good Luck Tim !!

torero
11-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Interesting article about the Canadians, specially the implications for Weber and Streit.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2008/11/24/006-dube14-lundi.shtml
Unfortunately (for non french speaking people) it is in french.

It talks about Canadian's PP, 1st team last year and 23rd so far this year. Of course a specific situation for some players explain that but we could consider that Streit had a good value added in this PP team.

http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/hockey/canadiens/archives/2008/11/20081124-102200.html
again in french ... expresses some regrets about Streit and suggests another swiss player, Weber not to name him, could be promoted to the NHL.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2008/11/07/005-dube9-vendredi.shtml
To add some more elements.

These are only journalists views ... however it highlights the good job these two swiss players are delivering.

When was the last time that swiss players were involved for such a situation for an NHL club ??? never ! that bodes well for our national hockeyistique future.

Congrats guys !!

Rafik Soliman
11-30-2008, 11:37 AM
some teams will give him a try out offer, thats about it.

The problem with Swiss Players is, that they're all looking for one-way contracts, since they lose a lot of money from the swiss league to the AHL....

With the actuall CBA a player of the Age 26 or younger can only receive an Entry Level contract which is a two-way contract anyways... So most swiss-players are waiting for something that will never happen....

I think Roman Wick, Beat Forster, Severin Blindenbacher, Andreas Ambuhl and Julien Sprunger probably could play in the NHL, given the right role in a team.
As for Wick, seeing him quit his North America adventure already once, I'm not sure if he's getting a 2nd chance? The next summer will tell....

torero
12-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Hat trick for Luca Cunti at Rimouski Oceanic

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=258006

I didn't know the guy ! he seems to be an interesting player ... i just discovered that he has a serious talents.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10725/lightning200809_junior_prospect_update/

also relates very attractive features.

He is very well graded by HF Futures. He is graded 8, better than Weber 7, Sbisa 7 1/2, Simek 7, josi 7 or Ramholt 6 !!!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/luca_cunti

Luca Cunti ... a name to watch out.

PS after being benched for over 10 games, Gerber had a very good game against Blackhawks. Regretfully his excellent performance was shadowed by Huet who blanked the Sens! 2 great goalies facing each other IMO.

swisshockey
12-28-2008, 10:42 PM
So Ambuehl is having a great Spengler Cup so far. I still don't quite see him as an NHL player though. Who are some of the top Swiss prospects for the 2009 NHL entry draft?

By the way if you guys have Twitter please follow me there http://twitter.com/swiss_hockey

koh19
12-29-2008, 06:52 AM
So Ambuehl is having a great Spengler Cup so far. I still don't quite see him as an NHL player though. Who are some of the top Swiss prospects for the 2009 NHL entry draft?

By the way if you guys have Twitter please follow me there http://twitter.com/swiss_hockey

IMO, he's ready to play. The only thing that might bother him is his size but he doesn't mind hitting, in fact, he'll often lay huge open ice hits. Skill wise, he's ready.

zecke26
12-29-2008, 08:24 AM
IMO, he's ready to play. The only thing that might bother him is his size but he doesn't mind hitting, in fact, he'll often lay huge open ice hits. Skill wise, he's ready.

skill was never the main problem with swiss players in NA. skill and skating were always strengths of swiss players. size and grit were what held most swiss out of the NHL. and sometimes maybe the will to play NHL at all.

the question with ambühl is: is he willing to work his way into the NHL while maybe even playing in the AHL for a few weeks/months and ending up as 3rd liner or would he rather stay in NLA, being one of the best players in the league and also leading the national team?

swisshockey
12-29-2008, 09:18 AM
skill was never the main problem with swiss players in NA. skill and skating were always strengths of swiss players. size and grit were what held most swiss out of the NHL. and sometimes maybe the will to play NHL at all.

the question with ambühl is: is he willing to work his way into the NHL while maybe even playing in the AHL for a few weeks/months and ending up as 3rd liner or would he rather stay in NLA, being one of the best players in the league and also leading the national team?

let's not forget the financial picture. I'm not sure any NHL team would be willing to match what he makes with HCD now, at least not right away.

koh19
12-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Word is that Montreal sent a scout who took the plane immediately after Davos' game vs Canada to see Ambühl play.

Link (french): http://www.planetehockey.com/news_detail.php?id=9974

swisshockey
12-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Word is that Montreal sent a scout who took the plane immediately after Davos' game vs Canada to see Ambühl play.

Link (french): http://www.planetehockey.com/news_detail.php?id=9974

yeah he's apparently already turned down an offer from a Swedish club too. (German link) http://hockeyfans.ch/news_portal/news.php?id=22968&month=12&year=08&modus=

koh19
12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
yeah he's apparently already turned down an offer from a Swedish club too. (German link) http://hockeyfans.ch/news_portal/news.php?id=22968&month=12&year=08&modus=

I heard about that. I thought though that he's still considering the offer from Faerjdadt (sp?) if he doesn't get an offer from the NHL.

On Axis
12-29-2008, 05:57 PM
How has Reto Berra looked this season? I don't think the Blues own his rights anymore, but maybe the Blues still have interest in him.

koh19
12-30-2008, 07:10 AM
How has Reto Berra looked this season? I don't think the Blues own his rights anymore, but maybe the Blues still have interest in him.

He's not doing too bad. He started the season in Davos with Genoni and Genoni became number 1 (they both started out with a two number 1 system). Berra then signed with Zoug but now he's back with Davos (I think it's only for the Spengler Cup though).

swisshockey
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
by the way, did you guys hear about Yannick Weber getting recalled by Montreal? He's supposed to dress for tomorrow night's game in Jersey (if anybody is in the area and wants to go, please shoot me a PM)

koh19
01-02-2009, 11:25 AM
by the way, did you guys hear about Yannick Weber getting recalled by Montreal? He's supposed to dress for tomorrow night's game in Jersey (if anybody is in the area and wants to go, please shoot me a PM)

yep, hope he can make montreal's pp a bit more effective!

Eagle Eye Cherry
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
yep, hope he can make montreal's pp a bit more effective!

a la Mark Streit!

torero
01-05-2009, 07:39 AM
today January 5th 2009, something happened for the FIRST TIME !
We have 2 swiss players leading the statistic list in goaltending AND in Defensmen in the NHL !!

Hiller with .933 (ex aequo) is leading the %save stat list.
and
Streit with 32 pts is leading the points stat list for Defensmen. (of course adjusting to the number of games ... but let's enjoy the picture !)

This never happened, some years ago we had 2 swiss leading the goaltending stats for a couple of days (weeks !) (Gerber and Aebischer). Today we have 2 leaders in different areas.

Let's take this as a good omen for swiss hockey 2009 !

koh19
01-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Historic day for Swiss hockey! Zurich will go on to face Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the Champions league final!!!

torero
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Historic day for Swiss hockey! Zurich will go on to face Metallurg Magnitogorsk in the Champions league final!!!

Yeahh ! i was surprised they showed it on TV and impressed by the Lions ... i admit i only watched 1st and 3rd period but Lions were superior ! it will be interesting on jan 21st and 28th against magnitogorsk.

:wave::wave:

PS : i was also surpised about the comment made by the commentator that, the evening preceeding this game, in his hotel in Helsinki, he watched on a finish TV a Swiss NLA game live !!
I understand that Finland may be a hockey country ... but wouldn't they watch at KHL or Swedish liga ? whatever it is pleasant to know that NLA has recognition abroad.

koh19
01-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeahh ! i was surprised they showed it on TV and impressed by the Lions ... i admit i only watched 1st and 3rd period but Lions were superior ! it will be interesting on jan 21st and 28th against magnitogorsk.

:wave::wave:

PS : i was also surpised about the comment made by the commentator that, the evening preceeding this game, in his hotel in Helsinki, he watched on a finish TV a Swiss NLA game live !!
I understand that Finland may be a hockey country ... but wouldn't they watch at KHL or Swedish liga ? whatever it is pleasant to know that NLA has recognition abroad.

yup let's hope that swiss players will finally get the recognition they deserve from NHL/KHL/SEL/Finnish league/....

stv11
01-08-2009, 04:20 AM

I was surprised by that too. The game was Lugano-Rapperswil, so maybe they broadcast games from foreign leagues with finnish players and it happened to be an NLA game this time :dunno:

koh19
01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Yay! Mark Streit is going to the All-Star game in Montreal!!!

I wonder if Jonas Hiller will get picked for the sophomores vs. rookies game. Sbisa is almost a sure pick.

Ducksforcup
01-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Hiller has outplayed Giguere this season and is starting to get starts on a more regular basis.

torero
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Hiller has outplayed Giguere this season and is starting to get starts on a more regular basis.

Stats between Guigere and Hiller :

........................................GP W L OTL ... GAA SV
Jean-Sebastien Giguere.........27 11 9 4 .... 2.99 .908
Jonas Hiller..........................20 10 7 1.... 2.10 .931

Hiller has been playing amazingly, while Guigere seems to be having a difficult begining of season with family complications. I believe their is no goalie controversy their, actually Guiguere is under contract until 2011. Possibly they will try to keep both goalies until then. (Hiller is under contract until 2010).
in 2011, if Hiller keeps playing the way he does, he will be wanting a higher salary ... and Guigere is hired for 7mio, + Hiller 1.3mio= 8.3mio. I do not imagine Ducks wanting to spend 10 mio or more on goalies !

Apparently Ducks have an exceptional goalie trainer ... François Allaire. This guy trained good goalies. He seems to be the key to Duck's goalies since many became 1st goalies after having left Ducks. So maybe Hiller will be leaving or exchanged if Ducks get a new good backup (because Guigere needs a solid backup). All i hope in such a case would be that Hiller doesn't end up in Canada. It definitely seems that playing under the canadian loup is not for swiss players ! (Aebischer and Gerber) who seem to be more disturbed by the public focus than motivated.

torero
01-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Does someone know why he isn't playing ? because he was called but so far never played ! Habs' PP is simply awful. I felt he would be the first to play !

koh19
01-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Does someone know why he isn't playing ? because he was called but so far never played ! Habs' PP is simply awful. I felt he would be the first to play !

He actually played against Toronto in Montreal's 6-2 win. I think he got around 15 min. in ice-time. Not bad at all.

swisshockey
01-10-2009, 05:07 PM
He actually played against Toronto in Montreal's 6-2 win. I think he got around 15 min. in ice-time. Not bad at all.

Yup:
http://swisshockey.net/?p=160

Let's see if he plays tonight versus Washington...

koh19
01-11-2009, 08:33 AM
word is that Sbisa might return to his junior team. With Brière coming back soon, the Flyers are gonna have to make a few moves in the roster.

swisshockey
01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
word is that Sbisa might return to his junior team. With Brière coming back soon, the Flyers are gonna have to make a few moves in the roster.

I know. The Philadelphia Daily News has a nice summary (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20090109_Briere_s_return_may_force_Flyers_to_send_ Sbisa_to_juniors.html)of his situation. I think it would be bad to send him back now.

torero
01-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Gerber's situation is worse and worse ! last time he was not even backup !

Hopefully he will recover ! and find a new team next season where he will play quitely and well ! i wish he will have a good finish ... maybe help Sens to make it for the playoffs and then leave the canadian loup for a better place ! (i cannot imagine him getting a starter position ... in the present situation ... yet a backup position ... !)

It really is a pitty because he is talented ...

Already 2 swiss goalies (Gerber + Aebischer) doing well, going to Canada and having this black hole ...

Go Gerber Go

swisshockey
01-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Gerber's situation is worse and worse ! last time he was not even backup !

Hopefully he will recover ! and find a new team next season where he will play quitely and well ! i wish he will have a good finish ... maybe help Sens to make it for the playoffs and then leave the canadian loup for a better place ! (i cannot imagine him getting a starter position ... in the present situation ... yet a backup position ... !)

It really is a pitty because he is talented ...

Already 2 swiss goalies (Gerber + Aebischer) doing well, going to Canada and having this black hole ...

Go Gerber Go

Gerber's days in Ottawa appear to be numbered (http://swisshockey.net/?p=192)...

jonas234567
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Do you really think he will be picked up?
I don't think so, I think he'll clear waivers and will be sent to Binghampton, where he probably doesn't want to play and will join a team in Europe. I don't think that he has a future in the NHL, he's already 34-year old and altough that is still no age for a goalkeeper no team will sign a struggling goalkeeper.

swisshockey
01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
this just in: Yannick Weber was sent back to Hamilton (http://swisshockey.net/?p=218). :(

swisshockey
01-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Do you really think he will be picked up?
I don't think so, I think he'll clear waivers and will be sent to Binghampton, where he probably doesn't want to play and will join a team in Europe. I don't think that he has a future in the NHL, he's already 34-year old and altough that is still no age for a goalkeeper no team will sign a struggling goalkeeper.

you may be right. Also don't forget his price tag. I would love to see him join Mark Streit and the Islanders but that may only happen after he clears waivers, if at all.

torero
01-14-2009, 10:40 PM
you may be right. Also don't forget his price tag. I would love to see him join Mark Streit and the Islanders but that may only happen after he clears waivers, if at all.

i was also nursing the same idea !!

And after all, their are some teams that have goaltenders issues (NYI + others) and Gerber's image is certainly not the one of a starter goalie but could be a backup in a decent team. i still would not be surprised that he be picked up by a team ... like Coyotes did with Aebischer ... Gretzky wasn't ready to pay huge sums for goalies so he just hired 3 goalies at cheap price ... to be disatisfied with 2 out of 3 and grab Brizgalov when he was waived. Curtis joseph also found a job after a good Spengler cup !

whatever .. we wish him all the best ... Go Gerber Go

swisshockey
01-14-2009, 11:11 PM
i was also nursing the same idea !!

And after all, their are some teams that have goaltenders issues (NYI + others) and Gerber's image is certainly not the one of a starter goalie but could be a backup in a decent team. i still would not be surprised that he be picked up by a team ... like Coyotes did with Aebischer ... Gretzky wasn't ready to pay huge sums for goalies so he just hired 3 goalies at cheap price ... to be disatisfied with 2 out of 3 and grab Brizgalov when he was waived. Curtis joseph also found a job after a good Spengler cup !

whatever .. we wish him all the best ... Go Gerber Go

from everything I've read it seems the most likely scenario is Gerber is sent on a "conditioning stay" in Binghampton for two weeks. During that time they try to shop him. Will there be any takers? There is certainly a lot of suspect goaltending in the league right now, though again those teams may not want to pay something for Gerber (even a draft pick) if they can get him for free off the waiver wire.

stv11
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Gerber can still help some teams, but I'd be surprise if someone pick him up at such a salary

swisshockey
01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Gerber can still help some teams, but I'd be surprise if someone pick him up at such a salary

it's official. He was sent to the minors on a two week assignment:

http://swisshockey.net/?p=221

torero
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Yannick Weber has been named starter for the AHL All Star game on january 26th.

2 defensmen playing all star games ... Streit in NHL and Weber in AHL.

OLE !

swisshockey
01-22-2009, 07:27 AM
here is an interview (http://swisshockey.net/?p=274) I did with Jonas Hiller

torero
01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
here is an interview (http://swisshockey.net/?p=274) I did with Jonas Hiller

I didn't know about François Allaire having a school in Switzerland. does he has many schools everywhere ? He seems to be a bit a reference in goaltending ... and when one sees the goalies that went out from Anaheim (where Allaire is goalie trainer) , Gerber, Bryzgalov ...

Great job for your interview ! congratulations.

i like your site. Keep working.

torero
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Luca Sbisa was sent down to the Letherbridge Huricanes.

Pity for him, yet he will have more playtime, more power play situations and more games finish. Good for him in the long term.

++

Streit was injured the other day when playing the lightenings. After scoring what was to become the winning goal.

++

does anyone have news on the NHL clubs being interested in swiss players new events ??

swisshockey
02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
does anyone have news on the NHL clubs being interested in swiss players new events ??

things are kinda quiet now. With Sbisa and Weber sent back down we only have three guys left in the NHL and only two (Hiller, Streit) play regularly. And now Streit is injured! Still it's a little disappointing we haven't heard anything else about Ambuehl for example?

koh19
02-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Alain Berger from Bern said he wanted to leave switzerland next year and play in NA.

torero
02-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Now ... Stephan (backup at Dallas stars) has been sent down to Bridgeport. So called to get ice time ... and in the first game he is on the bench !!

that sounds pretty strange ... i hope he is not out of favor !! did he do something to be out of favor ?? by the way did he have time ? he had poor stats ... but they were the same than Turco's when Tobias played !!
Does someone has another more optimistic interpretation on that ?

apparently hew arrived at 4.15pm (2 hours before the game) ... which may explain ... I seriously hope that because our swiss players in NA are just all falling apart !
GoSwissHockeyPlayersInNorthAmericaGo

++

good news !
Weber scored 2 goals to beat the record goals scored by a defensmen at Hamilton Bulldogs.
bad news !
Weber scored against Gerber in a Binghampton (sens) - Hamilton (habs) game.

stv11
02-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Still it's a little disappointing we haven't heard anything else about Ambuehl for example?

Ambühl stated in an interview with the Corriere del Ticino (available here : http://www.solohockey.com/aa_pagine_comuni/articolo_interna.asp?idarticolo=48115&idsezione=14&idsito=14&idtipo=28) that rumors he was contacted by Montréal are unfounded and that he's not really interested in playing in Sweden and would only leave Davos to go to North America.

torero
02-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Ambühl stated in an interview with the Corriere del Ticino (available here : http://www.solohockey.com/aa_pagine_comuni/articolo_interna.asp?idarticolo=48115&idsezione=14&idsito=14&idtipo=28) that rumors he was contacted by Montréal are unfounded and that he's not really interested in playing in Sweden and would only leave Davos to go to North America.

I was a bit disapointed how little interest he has in wanting to play abroad and in the fact that no one (NHL clubs) is in contact with him. He should be open to play in KHL in my view ! it is an intermediary step. But he doesn't seem to be willing to make the effort. Pitty ! with a bit of entrepreneurship ... he could in a couple of years end up in the NHL. (Berra, Stephan, Streit, Gerber ... all had to be proactive !) NHL scouts are not watching at the NLA to draft players! Swiss players have to initiate the move !

Maybe our friend from Swisshockey.com could give him a hand ?

torero
02-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Streit plays again ... (he was injured since feb.05).

Nice to see him back and Islanders won the game ...
the last game they won was on feb 5th, with Streit.

swisshockey
02-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Maybe our friend from Swisshockey.com could give him a hand ?

haha you mean swisshockey.net? (the .com domain was taken)
Problem is I'm not in Switzerland but in the U.S. Everything I see of the Swiss league is via internet. Maybe somebody will pay for me to go to the world championships. Yeah right. Well, a boy can dream, can't he?!? :nod:

swisshockey
02-19-2009, 11:03 AM
here's a Q&A I did with Mark Streit at MSG last night:

http://swisshockey.net/?p=352

torero
02-21-2009, 10:12 PM
haha you mean swisshockey.net? (the .com domain was taken)
Problem is I'm not in Switzerland but in the U.S. Everything I see of the Swiss league is via internet. Maybe somebody will pay for me to go to the world championships. Yeah right. Well, a boy can dream, can't he?!? :nod:

:laugh:

I understood that you were an expat ... in NY !

actually i was thinking that Ambuhl isn't displaying this entrepreneurship that made some swiss players play in the NHL. The way this Italian written article is written really shows it. Yet maybe you could make an article on your site about Ambuhl's readiness to play in NA and his capacity to score !

I am sure that some scouts read your site. Switzerland isn't a point of interest for NA scouts but the trend is our friend due to the recent success of some swiss players. Hence they will not spend money on Switzerland but looking at it for free and on english sites are the first steps. Yours seems to be the first they will be looking at. I do not expect NA scouts to speak German or French or Italian ! and online free translators or too vague and poor for constant use.
I see your site as a good entry point.

Congrats for it in any case. very pleasant to read.:handclap:

+++

And Islanders won 4-0 against Devils !! Streit had 2 assists and 25 min playtime.

+++

nice article on Gerber ...
http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20090220/SPORTS01/902200324/1003/sports
Hopefully the window gets dressed well enough to attract an NHL team. Because it is obvious that he is talented.

stv11
02-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Scouts probably don't follow the Swiss league as closely as the Swedish or Finnish ones, but still probably enough to know when a player has NHL potential and needs to be looked at. I doubt a fan webiste will make any difference (no offense to swisshockey, you're doing a great job).

zecke26
02-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Scouts probably don't follow the Swiss league as closely as the Swedish or Finnish ones, but still probably enough to know when a player has NHL potential and needs to be looked at. I doubt a fan webiste will make any difference (no offense to swisshockey, you're doing a great job).

yep, there are a lot of scouts in switzerland. the problem in the past was that all highly-touted swiss players busted. michel "the swiss miss" riesen for example. many expected bartschi to succeed, but it never happened. only goalies worked well.
that's why NHL were hesitant about taking swiss players. tim ramholt is another example of a player who should have made it, but never did. or i remember julien vauclair who had all the tools and even played a NA-like game.

so all swiss hockey needed was some guys who can prove that it's possible to translate the game from swiss rinks to NA rinks. and i think sbisa and weber could be the guys. if they succeed i expect swiss player to get more recognition by scouts. much more.

torero
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
yep, there are a lot of scouts in switzerland. the problem in the past was that all highly-touted swiss players busted. michel "the swiss miss" riesen for example. many expected bartschi to succeed, but it never happened. only goalies worked well.
that's why NHL were hesitant about taking swiss players. tim ramholt is another example of a player who should have made it, but never did. or i remember julien vauclair who had all the tools and even played a NA-like game.

so all swiss hockey needed was some guys who can prove that it's possible to translate the game from swiss rinks to NA rinks. and i think sbisa and weber could be the guys. if they succeed i expect swiss player to get more recognition by scouts. much more.

I am very surprised by that !!! i guess they have part time jobs at best :laugh:

Well, i didn't understand it in that way.

To me they are watching Switzerland. They are not actively searching and data-mining in Switzerland. If they would see someone, they would wait him to move first or to see him again and again. Unlike in SEL where they would rush on a 17year old rookie because he is 6" tall, weights 190 lbs and his brother is 25 and plays in NHL.

We had the "swiss goalie" light that was on ! and they started being interested in them. They have a leming attitude. You have to tag their daily life and they will go for it. A bit of Ambuhl here (World championship), the sensitivity is prepared and then a bit of Ambuhl their (His personal life ... with wife and hockey histroy on Swisshockey.net) and the interest grows. Finally some points in the next World championship, a nice game vs US or Canada or another well covered team and dors may open. ... and Swisshockey.net will have helped a not very entrepreneurial Ambuhl to find a job and get the green card !

That was my understanding ... now certainly you know more about this world ...
But it is my nature to doubt about "high professional people", i always believe that personal experiences and personalisation count a lot more in business decisions than what is admited.

PS Zecke, your avatar is awsome ! :laugh:

zecke26
02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
I am very surprised by that !!! i guess they have part time jobs at best :laugh:

don't laugh, most have. ;)

most NHL teams have 4-6 full-time scouts in europe. they usually live in sweden, finland, russia and czech republic. no surprise since most european talent comes from this countries.
then they have sometimes part-time scouts. and of course they have people in coaching staff on teams they know. it's always good to know many people in that job.

of course the biggest tournaments are the best for scouts, but there are scouts in switzerland at a lot of games. once teams found an interesting player, they watch him again and again. but not too often since people might know you and other NHL teams could get a hint who you are scouting. it's a bit like a spy game. ;)

i agree that they have to scout switzerland even more, because there's a lot of talent (same can be said for germany), but that will come. north america is overscouted and the same happens in sweden. so some NHL teams will try to get new markets.

when the sharks drafted germans, they started to scout here a lot. they found market that is not scouted as much as the traditional countries. so once swiss players will succeed, those teams could send out more guys to switzerland to scout.
everything is a matter of resources. but swiss players will get more recognition in the future.

PS Zecke, your avatar is awsome ! :laugh:

i'm a puck bunny. ;)

torero
03-05-2009, 01:44 AM
Gerber finds himself a Maple leafs !!

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=1354327

i am really happy he gets a new chance ...
Grab it Martin, Grabit it !

torero
03-05-2009, 10:11 PM
first game as a Leaf, Gerber really played awesome. (vs Caps w/o Ovechkin)

He gave up some rebounds and lost the shutout less than a minute before the end of the game on an amazing perfectly screened shot by Semin (6vs5).

37 save on 38 shots. 1st star of the game.

keep doing your job the way you can !!!

GoGerberGo

torero
03-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Streit has been on fire these last 3 games with 3 goals and 3 assists.

winning against Habs (with 2 assists), loosing against Boston (1goal) and winning against Blackhawks (2 goals 1 assist).

Pitty Islanders play like that when they are not in the playoff race anymore. But still great games.

Congrats Mark.

TheFirstSaviour
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
This is a really interesting thread.

Unfortunately, it is true that Swiss prospects are massively underrated in North America. Players like Sbisa and Weber are helping to overcome this perception, however, even they are considered "legitimate" prospects because they have commited to coming over and playing in the CHL - to huge success.

Switzerland needs to focus on becoming far more competitive at a under 18 and under 20 level, IMO. These tournaments are massively important to Canadians, for example, and many hockey fans and scouts would even consider them far more telling than the World Championships each year during the NHL playoffs. During the under 20's, all of Canada is glued to their screens to see the next stars of the world - like Forsberg, Gaborik, Erik Johnson, Bure, Mogilny, Tavares, and Hedman. Even players like Tartar this season (possibly, not even a first round selection this June), become household names over Christmas each year.

I was very glad to see the Swiss return to the top flight this season, however now they need to prove that they have enough talent to compete with teams like Slovakia (4th this year) every year. Then perhaps people will see them as developing top level talent, which in my humble opinion, they actually are doing already. If the Swiss were to medal in the under 18's for the next two or three years, the number of scouts in this country would increase exponentially!

stv11
03-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Medalling twice in the next couple of years is easier said than done, a good first step would be to regulary beat teams such as the Czech republic or Finland and rank between 4th and 6th instead of the usual 7th or 8th finnish.

Still, I find those tournaments to be massively overrated regarding the scouting aspect. Two weeks shouldn't be given as much weight as a whole season (played at a higher level in the case of prospects from major European league), let alone more as I feel it often is the case.

Anyway, I don't think you can focus on becoming more competitive at the U18 / U20 level, you need to improve the whole development system and success in international tournament will come as a reward. That's what was done in the 90s and resulted in Switzerland now clearly being the 8th best hockey nation. To get closer to the top teams, the next step would be to develop some top end talent and then Switzerland will be better scouted, hopefully starting a snowball effect (more talent -> more scouting -> more players given an opportunity -> more player developing top end talent...). Whether the whole movement starts with player coming from the Swiss league or going through the CHL route is, in my opinion, not important.

TheFirstSaviour
03-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Medalling twice in the next couple of years is easier said than done, a good first step would be to regulary beat teams such as the Czech republic or Finland and rank between 4th and 6th instead of the usual 7th or 8th finnish.

Still, I find those tournaments to be massively overrated regarding the scouting aspect. Two weeks shouldn't be given as much weight as a whole season (played at a higher level in the case of prospects from major European league), let alone more as I feel it often is the case.

Anyway, I don't think you can focus on becoming more competitive at the U18 / U20 level, you need to improve the whole development system and success in international tournament will come as a reward. That's what was done in the 90s and resulted in Switzerland now clearly being the 8th best hockey nation. To get closer to the top teams, the next step would be to develop some top end talent and then Switzerland will be better scouted, hopefully starting a snowball effect (more talent -> more scouting -> more players given an opportunity -> more player developing top end talent...). Whether the whole movement starts with player coming from the Swiss league or going through the CHL route is, in my opinion, not important.

You can not argue that the World Junior Championships (both under 18 and under 20) have a huge impact on players' draft rankings and, ultimately, their draft position. Every scouting department, ranking service, and NHL GM pays close attention to what happens during these tournaments, without question.

Switzerland were relagated last year and did not participate this year in Ottawa. Ultimately, that reality will have a huge impact on the mentality and the perception of the young players in this country. Winning breads winning. If a bunch of under 18 year-olds experience success at a young age at an international level, they will carry it with them throughout their careers.

Pyschologically, IMO, many Swiss players and fans do not have a belief that they should be in the top tier of international hockey, for some reason. This is despite recent wins over the Czechs and Canadians in Italy, the Swedes in Quebec, and the relative ease at which Zurich won the Champions' League this season. How can you change this belief?

Yes, it does come from the grass roots. But the system is strong which is exemplified by the successes that I have already mentioned. Swiss hockey is good.

I realize that repeating the Bronze you won in the 1998 WJC will not be easy, and when I suggested that you win two or three medals on the trot I wasn't trying to imply that it is something that is going to happen immediately. But from my perspective (and I am by no means an expert having only lived here for one year), and in a way you have reinforced it, these tournaments mean very little to the Swiss. Until they do mean something, you will continue to struggle.

Can you beat the World at a professional level? Yes, you have shown glimpses of it. Can your kids compete with with the best at an amatuer level? Apparently not, based on the evidence at hand.

This is obvious to scouts and professional analysts in the hockey community as well.

stv11
03-17-2009, 05:37 AM
You can not argue that the World Junior Championships (both under 18 and under 20) have a huge impact on players' draft rankings and, ultimately, their draft position. Every scouting department, ranking service, and NHL GM pays close attention to what happens during these tournaments, without question.

I wasn't arguing they had no huge impact, quite the opposite actually. I pointed out that, in my opinion, performances at those tournaments have too much weight in the scouting process. As an example, Reto Berra and Leonardo Gennoni have been teammates since for ever, and their learning curves have been mostly similar. They both ended up in the U18 team, and Berra was the hot goalie at the time and got most starts. He was drafted in the 3rd round, while Genoni went undrafted, which I found odd for two very close players. I can understand why the average hfboard poster would be fooled by a player's world championships performance, but an NHL scout should base his opinion on much more than a two weeks tournament.

Switzerland were relagated last year and did not participate this year in Ottawa. Ultimately, that reality will have a huge impact on the mentality and the perception of the young players in this country. Winning breads winning. If a bunch of under 18 year-olds experience success at a young age at an international level, they will carry it with them throughout their careers.

A relegation was bound to happen with the U20 system leaving no room for a team like Switzerland to have a bad game. That's why I would argue for increasing the number of teams to 12, but that's a whole other debate. I'm more worried about the stagnation that happend since the U20 won bronze and the U18 won silver. Switzerland needs to regulary beat a top team and get out of the 7th/8th place zone.

Pyschologically, IMO, many Swiss players and fans do not have a belief that they should be in the top tier of international hockey, for some reason. This is despite recent wins over the Czechs and Canadians in Italy, the Swedes in Quebec, and the relative ease at which Zurich won the Champions' League this season. How can you change this belief?

You have a point here. How Zurich's win is regarder as such a huge upset is completely beyond me. I mean, a Swiss club team beating Swedish, Finnish or Czech opposition is hardly an upset, and beating a Russian one is far from being the kind of "once in a lifetime" event it is made to be. Still, Swiss fans will complain about the usual quarter final exit at the world championships. Go Figure...

Yes, it does come from the grass roots. But the system is strong which is exemplified by the successes that I have already mentioned. Swiss hockey is good.

I realize that repeating the Bronze you won in the 1998 WJC will not be easy, and when I suggested that you win two or three medals on the trot I wasn't trying to imply that it is something that is going to happen immediately. But from my perspective (and I am by no means an expert having only lived here for one year), and in a way you have reinforced it, these tournaments mean very little to the Swiss. Until they do mean something, you will continue to struggle.

You are right, those youth tournaments mean nothing to most fans (which you should not consider a trait of Swiss hockey, but rather of European sport). However, coaches consider them an important part of the development system, but the feeling I had when I took part in coaching clinics is that they are a part of the process rather than an end. This, in my opinion, is the right approach because you don't build top notch U18 players out of nothing, you need to start the process way earlier.

Can you beat the World at a professional level? Yes, you have shown glimpses of it. Can your kids compete with with the best at an amatuer level? Apparently not, based on the evidence at hand.

This is obvious to scouts and professional analysts in the hockey community as well.

Switzerland was once considered better in youth hockey than at the pro, when they regularly played the quarter finals of the U20/U18 worlds but had trouble with Germany, Belarus and the like at the pro level, so I don't think your quote is that accurate.

And one thing you have to remember is that youth tournament favors teams with the highest player depth, that's the reason Canada, Russia and the US usually perform better than Sweden, Finland or the Czech Republic.

torero
03-17-2009, 08:30 PM
very intersting discussion you have here.

I can bring little more than what you say. Except that while it is true that the victory of the Zurich Lions was an amazing fact, specially the way they did it, in preseason games, swiss teams often beat other european teams.

I follow closely Bern and each preseason they play German, Finish, Russian or Swedish teams. They almost always win !
I know it is preaseason ... but it is also preaseason for Bern.

Bern being one of the best swiss teams with, in any case, the biggest budget will be better in the coming years ... after the VanBoxmeer era. Speically in important games. Like the ones in european championship.

For the swiss national team, they improved seriously their level ... they did not only show up in Milan beating Canada and another big dog, some years ago, they also beat Russia in Moscou. Repeatedly the Swiss have been wining on teams in the top 6.

I feel that the level is improving. At a point in time they will be among the top countries on a reliable basis. And more swiss players will scratch NHL ice. The NHL trend is here ... no matter the ups or downs of each players ... Switzerland never had 2 goalies and 1 field player in NHL. and as many as 5 or 6 in AHL.

So for the time being they may be underrated. They are pushing ... strongly. Any young swiss player watches at Streit, Gerber Hiller or Sbisa now. They know that if they play a couple of years in AHL ... they will have a decent level back in Switzerland (Helbling). If they play regularly in NHL, they will be stars. And jackpot ... if they have good years in the NHL.

The underrating is also due to the fact that the NHL environment is conservative ... (remember Von Arx coming back to switzerland had some serious and negative words about the NHL and the righteouseness in players selection). They all act a bit like sheeps ... so start a trend and your guys will be looking at you (exemple : swiss goaltending ... after Aebischer, came gerber ... today you have Gerber, Hiller and Stephan in NHL + Manzato in AHL). Which is the corner in which we are now. Underrating is the normal state of a trend that is in acceleration. Overrated is the inverse. Underrated can also mean underpriced. This is what will make swiss players have success. The best UFA this years, Streit, who is today considered as an amazing opportunity ... The islander GM gets praised for his good deal. other GM will be willing to make same deals ! Streit by his "low salary" in regards of what he brought to the Islanders this year so far is paying for the underrated etiquette swiss player will have on them. Underrated is a much healtier condition for improvement. (In economics Underrated could be applied to a product launch when its use exceeds its pricing ... during the strong growth in sales)

Some weeks ago, we had for the first time 2 swiss players dominating the statistics in NHL in different areas. We had Streit leading the D men points and Hiller % saves and GAA. (it was short though !).
We had that 7or8 years ago with 2 goalies leading the %saves and the GAA for some weeks (gerber and Aebsicher). before this never such a thing happend. never.

It is a pitty that if some swiss players want to succeed, they do not adapt to the way they work abroad. Like Ambuhl who wishes to play in the NHL but will not move from where he is, imagining that scouts will come and ring at his dor ! The swiss player wanting success has to move ... his parents or the club should have them play in pewees or such junior tournaments. Then they should aim at playing in NA junior leagues ... like weber or Cunti.

We may be discussing some short term tendencies, underratings or ... but the trend is our friend. Close the eyes and reopen them in 5 to 10 years!

TheFirstSaviour
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
stv11,

Regardless of whether or not you agree with the relationship between the world junior events and scouting, at least we both agree that their is a strong link between the two.

I agree with you, that Switzerland does suffer from a small sample of players to choose from and a tournament that does not allow for a few losses without relagation. I also think the IIHF needs to reconsider the conditions for qualification and demotion (case in point: Kazakhstan this year). Perhaps a play out tournament in September?

I do still think, however, that there is a lot more that a player can gain from the major junior tournaments than just experience on the way to becoming a better player. I respect your opinion, however, after a few successful years the Swiss hockey boards might start to take the tournament more seriously. And the kids who experience that success will go on to think that they deserve to experience it again in the future. I hope that day comes soon.

Hence, for Canadians, it is a win at all costs tournament which is dramatically emphasized and used a measuring stick for the future of hockey in our country. Whether the kids respond or not is almost irrelevant. What matters is that they know what is expected of them, and what it means to put on that jersey. It is the beginning of something special in their lives.

Torero,

I wish Swiss hockey all the best. Assuming that Canada fails in their attempt for Gold, I will be routing for der Schweiz all the way at the WC next month! Hop hop.

I do think that with the success of guys like Kopitar, Vanek, Streit, Boedker, Huet and Ehrhoff, NHL brass will consider players from outside of the top seven nations less cautiously. In the past two seasons, Eller and Boedker have proven that teams are more willing to take a gamble on players from less developed hockey nations early in the first round.

In terms of the future for Switzerland, I have no doubt that you will be a major force within 5-10 years - if not sooner. As I mentioned earlier, it could come as early as May! Your players just have to believe in themselves. :)

stv11
03-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I think we mostly agree about the facts. Where I have trouble following you is when state that "Switzerland should focus on becoming more competitive at the U18/U20 level", because I think it is simply not possible without the players undergoing a whole development process. Those teams are a part of this process.

It is of course possible to improve a particular team's chemistry. That has been done the last couple of year with the U20 team playing a game against every National League B team (games which counted in the standings).

TheFirstSaviour
03-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I think we mostly agree about the facts. Where I have trouble following you is when state that "Switzerland should focus on becoming more competitive at the U18/U20 level", because I think it is simply not possible without the players undergoing a whole development process. Those teams are a part of this process.

It is of course possible to improve a particular team's chemistry. That has been done the last couple of year with the U20 team playing a game against every National League B team (games which counted in the standings).

Fair question.

What I am referring to is how much emphasis is put on these teams at a national and club level. I am new to Europe, so please let me use the two examples I know best, the US and Canada, to exemplify.

The USNTDP works extremely hard to create a fantastic program for the development of under-20 ice hockey players in the US. The coaching and training at this level is unreal, and the program strives very hard to find talented players and develop them to reach the next level in their careers. Recent graduates have included James Van Reimsdyk, Erik Johnson, Ryan Kesler, Patrick Kane, Patrick O'Sullivan, Rick DiPietro, and many, many, more.

Their goal is to take junior age players and divide them into two programs for the two major junior tournaments. If they have one criticism, it's that they put too much emphasis on the program when selecting their teams for the under-18 and under-20 tournaments. Many talented American CHL players are disregarded because they elected to play major Canadian junior hockey instead of staying with the NTDP.

This year, Slovakia knocked them out en route to the semi-final, which tells you something about the calibre of players they are producing, despite also having a small pool of players and few rinks.

I have already told you what these tournaments mean to Canadians. Who has coached us to victory in both tournaments this past year? The legendary Pat Burns, who also coached our Olympic team in the past two tournaments. He also, incidentally, was a key figure in our own inquiry into the problems with Canadian hockey, which took place after our failures in 1998.

I love prospects. I love these tournaments. I also play on two teams in Switzerland (just for fun!) and I am also familiar with the National League B, as I live in Basel.

Even you (a well educated and devoted fan of Swiss hockey, I believe) have stated that these tournaments do not matter that much (I would, however, disagree that all of Europe shares your opion. For proof, take a look around these forums for feedback on the recently announced Swedish under-18 roster. People do appear to care).

Few people I know seem to know anything about the young players in this country. I may be wrong, but I don't think the media, fans, or clubs are doing enough to encourage these players to be international stars. And that's who they will be competing against. Not just in these tournaments, but in the future as well on a senior level.

Tartar, Panik, and Janus must feel like stars of the future after the exposure and success they received in December and January (for Slovakia). How many NHL scouts do you think have made an attempt to see Tartar since that tournament? I know that is not good scouting in your opinion, but it is reality.

Get the media on it. Get your top coaches on it. Encourage the National A teams to do more to develop their young talent for the sake of Switzerland, and not just for club success.

It shouldn't be necessary to send players to Canada or the USA to develop them. Switzerland has enough money, rinks, support and clubs for world stars to develop right here. Make that a priority and the results will come. Just as they have come at World Championships, in the Olympics, and in the CL already.

We are, after all, talking about the future here. Let those kids know that they are it.

stv11
03-26-2009, 06:41 AM
What I am referring to is how much emphasis is put on these teams at a national and club level. I am new to Europe, so please let me use the two examples I know best, the US and Canada, to exemplify.

The USNTDP works extremely hard to create a fantastic program for the development of under-20 ice hockey players in the US. The coaching and training at this level is unreal, and the program strives very hard to find talented players and develop them to reach the next level in their careers. Recent graduates have included James Van Reimsdyk, Erik Johnson, Ryan Kesler, Patrick Kane, Patrick O'Sullivan, Rick DiPietro, and many, many, more.

Their goal is to take junior age players and divide them into two programs for the two major junior tournaments. If they have one criticism, it's that they put too much emphasis on the program when selecting their teams for the under-18 and under-20 tournaments. Many talented American CHL players are disregarded because they elected to play major Canadian junior hockey instead of staying with the NTDP.

This year, Slovakia knocked them out en route to the semi-final, which tells you something about the calibre of players they are producing, despite also having a small pool of players and few rinks.

I know about the USNTDP. This is a very solid concept in my opinion, but not suitable with the way minor sport is organized in Europe, where each club team has its own development program, and league play is stopped at some points during the season to allow for international tournaments to take place. Would it be possible to switch to a US-like system with a full time national team ? I think it is, clubs would let their junior aged player leave to play an entire season for a NTDP if they can be convinced that it would help them to take the next step in their development (as long as said player is not playing for his club's professional team yet, which makes me think that it would be harder to push this concept on the U20 NT than on the U18). But as far as I know, nobody has ever proposed such a concept in Switzerland.

I have already told you what these tournaments mean to Canadians. Who has coached us to victory in both tournaments this past year? The legendary Pat Burns, who also coached our Olympic team in the past two tournaments. He also, incidentally, was a key figure in our own inquiry into the problems with Canadian hockey, which took place after our failures in 1998.

I am interested in anything related to hockey and have a genuine interest for other cultures' point of view, so I'm fully aware of the importance of these tournaments to Canadians. But I'd like to point out that this is in line with the interest for junior sport in North America. I'll address that point when responding to the next paragraph.

I love prospects. I love these tournaments. I also play on two teams in Switzerland (just for fun!) and I am also familiar with the National League B, as I live in Basel.

Even you (a well educated and devoted fan of Swiss hockey, I believe) have stated that these tournaments do not matter that much (I would, however, disagree that all of Europe shares your opion. For proof, take a look around these forums for feedback on the recently announced Swedish under-18 roster. People do appear to care).

First a bit about myself. I have a strong interest for anything related to hockey, which of course helps in getting educated. I have played the game for many years now, albeit always at a low amateur level, and coached during 6 seasons for my (small) hometown club, in age categories ranging from 6 to 12 years old, under the supervision of a professionnal (Canadian btw) coach (I unfortunately had to quit coaching in late 2004 when I found my current job and had to leave my hometown). This allowed me to take part in some coaching clinics and meet some guys involved in high level hockey and get some inside perspectives about player development for the national teams. Those people are fully aware about what Swiss player lacks compare to those from better European hockey programs, and despite the lack of a USNTDP-like program, are trying to make NT player spend as much time together as possible to help them reach the next level.

Despite being educated about hockey (well, at least I hope I am ;) ) and having some coaching experience, I admit I don't have a particularly strong interest for prospects and I am not good at judging player potential. I still follow junior tournaments with a strong interest, but, as I told you, I consider them a mean rather than an end.

Now I'd like to address your assumption that European fans as a whole don't share my opinion. It is obvious to me, and I guess to you as well, that there is nothing in Europe that can be compared to junior hockey in Canada, or college and high school football or little league baseball in the US. Even in soccer, by far the most popular sport in Europe, there is few interest for junior aged competition (final tournament of international competitions may be an exception, but more because of sheer nationalism than genuine interest for future stars of the game). In Europe, junior sport is considered a step on the way to the real thing.

Your observation about the feedbacks regarding the U18 Swedish national team mislead you (no offense) to the conclusion that the situation is different in Sweden. While your observation is true, don't forget we are on HF, and people here are more likely to have interest in prospects. The only conclusion that I would get out of this is that there are more knowledgeable fans in Sweden than in Switzerland, probably both because of the sheer number of hockey fans, and the highest proportion of knowledgeable ones.

Few people I know seem to know anything about the young players in this country. I may be wrong, but I don't think the media, fans, or clubs are doing enough to encourage these players to be international stars. And that's who they will be competing against. Not just in these tournaments, but in the future as well on a senior level.

Tartar, Panik, and Janus must feel like stars of the future after the exposure and success they received in December and January (for Slovakia). How many NHL scouts do you think have made an attempt to see Tartar since that tournament? I know that is not good scouting in your opinion, but it is reality.

Get the media on it. Get your top coaches on it. Encourage the National A teams to do more to develop their young talent for the sake of Switzerland, and not just for club success.

Most fans in Switzerland are in for the show. I find it sad that most people you meet at hockey games usually can't name three players from the visiting team, and have rarely played the game at any level, but it is true. They will also critic the national team coach for not choosing a particular player, failing to understand his concept of "making the best possible team out of 20 Swiss players" rather than "making a team out of the 20 best Swiss players".

As a follower of the NLB, you're probably aware that the U20 national team plays a game against every team from that league during the season. That, in my opinion, is a good thing for the U20 NT as it allows the coaches to take a look at more players, and can only improve team chemistry. But fans of NLB teams simply don't like this, as they consider it a step in the direction of making their league a farm team one, a possibility that would kill interest for the league as no one wants their team to be reduced to the role of feeder for another one. Another example of the difference with the North American point of view.

It shouldn't be necessary to send players to Canada or the USA to develop them. Switzerland has enough money, rinks, support and clubs for world stars to develop right here. Make that a priority and the results will come. Just as they have come at World Championships, in the Olympics, and in the CL already.

We are, after all, talking about the future here. Let those kids know that they are it.

This is probably not obvious to someone who didn't follow Swiss hockey during the last ten years (I don't mean you in particular), as Switzerland still don't produce much more NHL players than ten years ago (though even at this level, an improvement is visible), but player development has greatly improved since current national team coach Ralph Krueger took over in 1998. Last years, the senior national team went to the world championship without many players arguably good enough to make it (Streit, Wichser, Von Arx, Plüss, Ziegler, Camichel, Rüthemann and many others I can't remember right now) for various reasons. Switzerland still ended the tournament with easy wins against France and Denmark, a key win against Belarus (wth the Kostitsyn brothers, Grabovski and Salei), and an upset against Sweden. Going to the 1998 tournament with so many key players out would have meant a fight against relegation with an uncertain outcome. This proves that a big step forward was made regarding player depth.

Now, the next step would be to develop top end talent, and by that I mean NHL caliber players, and, as I pointed out earlier in this thread, a snowball effect improving Swiss hockey as whole could result. To get there, I think it is necessary that a fair amount of Swiss players take the CHL route, as North American scouts usually take this as a proof of the player commitment to eventually play in the NHL. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely do not support sending every Swiss talent to North America and have the development process being "outsourced" (can't think of a better word), but if some have success following this route, it can only speed up the whole process.

TheFirstSaviour
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
stv11, that was an excellent response! I have really enjoyed this discussion and you have helped me to better understand the system from a Swiss perspective.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

You mentioned that you worked under a Canadian coach, which leads me in another direction.

What is the Swiss mentality towards foreign coaches at a youth level?

I too have coached a little bit (in Canada, England, and in Bahrain) and I am an international teacher in Basel now (which I may have already mentioned), so therefore I am used to working mit kinder.

Unfortunately, my German (or should I say Swiss German) is progressing really, well, langsam. Would the EHC Basel (Dragons) be interested in my help? I have been really busy this year integrating (although I did manage to get in 24 games myself), but I was considering volunteering to offer some help next year to players in the minor hockey program. I am not a Canadian certified coach, unfortunately (I left Canada in 2001 after graduating from uni, and I was a still a player at that time).

Is there certification in Switzerland, and if so, would I be a candidate despite my language difficulties and Auslander B? I would like to help in some way, and think I have some things that I could offer a team. But I do not know anyone in the system.

What do you (and others reading this) think?

After living in England and Bahrain for the past seven years, it is great to be back in a hockey culture! Thanks for welcoming me in this forum and in your country. :)

stv11
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
In my experience, being a foreigner should not be an obstacle in getting in a coaching position. I worked with a small local club, and we had a professional coach as head of the whole program with an assistant in every age class (at least that's what the club aimed for). As it was difficult to find enough people, anyone willing to help was welcome (I started at age 20 without having been in any coaching position previously).

Now regarding bigger clubs, that may be different, but if I take the big club's development program I'm the most familiar with (Lausanne HC's, which is bigger than EHC Basel's), any help is welcome, especially in the younger age classes, so getting into the system should not be a problem.

However, I must emphasize that I'm from the French speaking part of Switzerland and that the Canadians I met through coaching where all from Quebec, so I have no experience regarding the language issue you may face. It seems to me that communicating is an important enough part of coaching to make language your biggest obstacle.

Regarding the certification, they are awarded in courses organized by what is called "Jugend und Sport" (youth and sport), a multi-sport organization which awards coaching certifications in Switzerland. Usually, your club will register you for the course (this may even be the only way in, but I'm not sure about that). There are different level of certification, and you are required to start at the lowest one (meaning you would first get a certification allowing you to coach the youngest age classes or the lowest amateur leagues). However, I must point out that when I started coaching (99-00 season), I had no certification and got my first one the following summer, and I know many similar cases, though I've been told that rules regarding coach certification are more strongly enforced nowadays (remember I quit coaching 4 years ago), so maybe you will have to start as an assistant coach.

I would suggest you to get in touch with EHC Basel, using the contact form on their website : http://www.dragons.ch/joomla2/index.php?option=com_contact&catid=1&Itemid=22
They will probably be happy to answer your questions.

TheFirstSaviour
03-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks again! I will give it a try and get back to you.

torero
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Yannick Weber was Named To 2008-2009 All-Rookie Team

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3798214

He also beat the record at hamilton bulldogs by scoring 14 goals as a dmen. (some time ago ... )

He seems to be cumulating trophies.

Congrats Yannick.

torero
04-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Yannick Weber is back in the Hab's roster :

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Weber+adds+punch+blue+line/1479768/story.html

Luca Sbisa is also likely to go back to the flyers ... but only for the playoffs ! why ?

answer : http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090409_Flyers_Notes___Flyers__Parent_says_he_fee ls_better__wants_to_play.html

Funily while 2 swiss players (out of 3) are likely to leave the NHL arena because their team hasn't qualified for the playoffs, 2 might join in !
(all is hypothetique since the 3rd (Hiller & Ducks) did not clinch the spot yet, Weber will be tested in the last regular season games)

torero
04-11-2009, 08:00 PM
INterview by Martin Gerber ... 1 game before the end of the season.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=12&id=39256

he doesn't seem upbeat !! the least we can say.

stv11
04-14-2009, 04:16 AM
Yannick Weber is back in the Hab's roster :

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Weber+adds+punch+blue+line/1479768/story.html

Luca Sbisa is also likely to go back to the flyers ... but only for the playoffs ! why ?

answer : http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090409_Flyers_Notes___Flyers__Parent_says_he_fee ls_better__wants_to_play.html

Funily while 2 swiss players (out of 3) are likely to leave the NHL arena because their team hasn't qualified for the playoffs, 2 might join in !
(all is hypothetique since the 3rd (Hiller & Ducks) did not clinch the spot yet, Weber will be tested in the last regular season games)

Those moves are not surprising, NHL teams often carry many extra players during the playoffs. But I wonder if weber would have made the world championship roster had he not be called by the Habs.

TheFirstSaviour
04-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Why didn't the Swiss team leave a few spaces open for potential post first round entries such as Sbisa and Weber? They could both be in town for the Swiss opener on Friday, and are fresh and in game shape as well.

I'm assuming that Belarus is preparing the flight details for the Kostistsyn boys.

tycho
04-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Why didn't the Swiss team leave a few spaces open for potential post first round entries such as Sbisa and Weber? They could both be in town for the Swiss opener on Friday, and are fresh and in game shape as well.

I'm assuming that Belarus is preparing the flight details for the Kostistsyn boys.
As far as I know Krueger won't announce ALL the player in the roster to the IIHF yet.

stv11
04-20-2009, 03:45 AM
Actually from the 25 players named by Krüger, only 22 will play in the first round (the IIHF allows coaches to add three players between the 1st and 2nd round).

But the only North America based player that could benefit from that is Hiller, I doubt Krüger will add any of Sbisa or Weber.

TheFirstSaviour
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
According to the IIHF homepage they announced their team earlier this week. Weber played well in Game 3 against Montreal. With Markov and Schneider out of the lineup he was given a big role and responded with a goal and an assist in a 4-2 loss. Unfortunately he was outmuscled on the boards which led to the first Boston goal, however.

All in all, it was a good game for him still. Koivu had some great things to say about him, his ability to move the puck and QB the PP, and his future.

TheFirstSaviour
04-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Actually from the 25 players named by Krüger, only 22 will play in the first round (the IIHF allows coaches to add three players between the 1st and 2nd round).

But the only North America based player that could benefit from that is Hiller, I doubt Krüger will add any of Sbisa or Weber.

I am shocked to hear so little on the Weber for Switzerland front! With the Olympics coming up, considering his form this year in the AHL and NHL, and reflecting on his future in the national team setup, why is he not being flown into town, asap? Bogosian, Doughty, and Schenn are all in town for a reason, and it may have more to do with the future than the present.

torero
04-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I am shocked to hear so little on the Weber for Switzerland front! With the Olympics coming up, considering his form this year in the AHL and NHL, and reflecting on his future in the national team setup, why is he not being flown into town, asap? Bogosian, Doughty, and Schenn are all in town for a reason, and it may have more to do with the future than the present.

I think you have a point.

Yet The swiss hockey is having more and more young guys ... and it is not the particularity of Krueger to give special treatment for players.

stv11
04-27-2009, 04:31 AM

Well, you have to understand that teams like Switzerland have a different approach to the WC than one like Canada. Result at this tournament is imperative to secure the 8th place and to see where Switzerland stands compared to the top teams, while in Canada it is just an opportunity to see some players perform internationally on the way to the Olympics, which are considered the real tournament.

Another point is that Ralph Krüger is paid to win, not to develop players, so he picks the team that in his opinion will get the best results. With Switzerland not having enough talent to beat a top 6 team, getting result against those goes through a perfect team game, thus the need to use players that are used to play together. That means that for a North America based player to be picked, he needs to be significantly better than one the has taken part in all the exhibitions games during the season. This is why an NHL depth player won't get the nod over a dominant European league player.

stv11
04-27-2009, 08:19 AM
So much for my analysis, Weber has been called by Krüger as Hamilton is now out of the playoffs.

torero
05-30-2009, 07:04 AM
I was saying that Ambuhl had the bad attitude and was too demanding to make it to the NHL ! Well I have the pleasure to announce you that I was wrong !!

As many of you already know Abmuhl was contracted by the NY Rangers for 1 year.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/lidstrom-out-for-game-4-in-chicago/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/186480-goings-on-in-rangerville

We were daydreaming about the first successfull swiss forward in NHL ? Here we have a shot .... .

I am a bit worried he may be undersized and underweighted for the NHL. With full hearth ... GoAndresGo

dsg89
05-30-2009, 07:29 AM
I was saying that Ambuhl had the bad attitude and was too demanding to make it to the NHL ! Well I have the pleasure to announce you that I was wrong !!

As many of you already know Abmuhl was contracted by the NY Rangers for 1 year.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/lidstrom-out-for-game-4-in-chicago/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/186480-goings-on-in-rangerville

We were daydreaming about the first successfull swiss forward in NHL ? Here we have a shot .... .

I am a bit worried he may be undersized and underweighted for the NHL. With full hearth ... GoAndresGo

I am sure he can play as physical as Betts and Callahan, so I don't see his size and weight as a problem. The Rangers got only 4 forwards with contracts for the next season. Could be, Ambühl is playing in a third or fourth line with Callahan and Sjostrom or Voros.

torero
06-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Bad news for one of our landsmen : Tobias Stephan

Although it is nothing official, a simple newspaper article

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2009/6/2/896164/the-task-ahead-for-joe-nieuwendyk

it seems that odds are not in his favour with the stars.
In fact i do not understand what happened with him. He played almost no game ... the few games he played were not outstanding ... but in statistics not worse than Turco ... and their we are.

if someone has some explanations on that ... i would really welcome them.

Rafik Soliman
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM
His 1st Game was a strong one but was lost in OT..... And then for a goaltender without playing time he played so so!

Although they always say you have to be ready when they call you as a backup, Stephan wasn't able to do that... I think that Matt Climie has surpassed him in the depth chart and so there's no need for Stephan...

The good thing for him is, that he's unrestricted Free Agent and has the chance to sign with every team (if there is a team that wants him)...

But I think he'll be returning back home, hopefully to Kloten since Rueger is more than overdue (still playing good though)....

As for Amühl, I think he has a real good shot a knocking on the opening night roster... I hope he'll prepare right for the training camp so he's gonna be in good shape!

dsg89
06-08-2009, 11:01 AM
His 1st Game was a strong one but was lost in OT..... And then for a goaltender without playing time he played so so!

Although they always say you have to be ready when they call you as a backup, Stephan wasn't able to do that... I think that Matt Climie has surpassed him in the depth chart and so there's no need for Stephan...

The good thing for him is, that he's unrestricted Free Agent and has the chance to sign with every team (if there is a team that wants him)...

But I think he'll be returning back home, hopefully to Kloten since Rueger is more than overdue (still playing good though)....

As for Amühl, I think he has a real good shot a knocking on the opening night roster... I hope he'll prepare right for the training camp so he's gonna be in good shape!

I am quite sure Stephan is coming back to Switzerland for the upcoming season. Possible he will be back in Kloten, but for the next season, he would still be backup there..so Kloten has to promise him, he's the starting goalie, otherwise he won't playing for Kloten. Biel is also looking after a new goaltender or Fribourg, when they can't hold Caron. But Manzato, who's also a UFA ist contacting with the GM of Fribourg.

torero
06-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I am quite sure Stephan is coming back to Switzerland for the upcoming season. Possible he will be back in Kloten, but for the next season, he would still be backup there..so Kloten has to promise him, he's the starting goalie, otherwise he won't playing for Kloten. Biel is also looking after a new goaltender or Fribourg, when they can't hold Caron. But Manzato, who's also a UFA ist contacting with the GM of Fribourg.

That is a pitty. I thought that Manzato was on a very good path for success. He was subject to special attention on the side of the huricane management. Until this year which was a disapointing year for him. I felt and hoped he could make it into the NHL.

Hopefully Stephan can find a team with an opening that would suit you. If phily is conisdering hiring Emery, their MUST be a place for Stephan AND Manzato somewhere !!!

Rafik Soliman
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM

Biel has snagged up Berra from Davos.... I'm not sure if they can afford two Goaltenders with the salary of a no.1

To be honest, just Servette Geneva needs a new Goaltender, although Mona is not a bad goaltender, but there's a upgrade if they would add Stephan.... Maybe Fribourg Gotteron could add Manzato, since he's from their junior program, but then again paying Sebastien Caron and Manzato No.1 Money is tough for a swiss hockey club....

Zug has a foreign Goaltender in Jussi Markkanen for next season, but could use Stephan if they want to play with 4 foreign field players instead of 3 and a goalie (same with Fribourg, but Zug has usually a bigger budget)....

It's gonna be an interessting summer...

But if those two decide to stay in North america, they probably have to take two-way contracts and be 3rd stringers in the AHL.... I don't see any NHL-Backup position for them....

dsg89
06-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Just heard about Tim Ramholt is coming back to Switzerland. Davos or Geneva. Would say Davos. Arno Del Curto had spoken to Ramholt and I am sure his heading to Davos for the next season.

Rafik Soliman
06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Just heard about Tim Ramholt is coming back to Switzerland. Davos or Geneva. Would say Davos. Arno Del Curto had spoken to Ramholt and I am sure his heading to Davos for the next season.

This was only a matter of time....

Like Timo Helbling he had a dream and fought for his dream, but came short in the end....
Since there aren't many quality defenders in the swiss league, he should be able to cash in big and get big minutes to play...
In Davos he would have a top coach who would bring the best in him out. Since Del Curto is a top motivator... But I wonder how Davos will play next season and how they gonna fill the hole Ambuhl left.... Nino Niederreiter is probably not ready for the top-six and probably will go to North america!?

dsg89
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
This was only a matter of time....

Like Timo Helbling he had a dream and fought for his dream, but came short in the end....
Since there aren't many quality defenders in the swiss league, he should be able to cash in big and get big minutes to play...
In Davos he would have a top coach who would bring the best in him out. Since Del Curto is a top motivator... But I wonder how Davos will play next season and how they gonna fill the hole Ambuhl left.... Nino Niederreiter is probably not ready for the top-six and probably will go to North america!?

Have spoken to different sources and it seems like Nino Niederreiter will play in North America next season. I am quite interessed how he will act in the upcoming CHL import Draft.

By the way, it seems like Lugano is targeting to sign Alexandre Giroux from the Caps.

dsg89
06-15-2009, 11:47 AM

It's confirmed!! Tim Ramholt is playing for Davos in the future. He is signing a 2 year contract, which includes a exit clause for the NHL.

torero
06-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Sbisa became a Duck !

he and Lupul were exchanged against Pronger.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AhKoidDlsdFatU43Vc510sx7vLYF?slug=txflye rspronger&prov=st&type=lgns

2 swiss in Anaheim ?

I already liked them but i suddenly feel even more close to these volatiles that chinese enjoy so much!

I hope he will get some ice time.

++

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerber being employed by the Leafs for at least another year ... when reading the online literature. Anyone has a thought on that ?

Godi Jr
06-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Hello I'm new been fallowing thread for a couple of months. Any infoon American born Swiss playing hockey? My son was picked by the Kenosha Rampage to play Jr B hockey in the Great Lakes League. His Dream is play in NHL he also talk about playing in Suisse. We have daul Citizenship. He still has 1 yr High school left. Janick Steinmann is distant Cousin plays for AV Zug.

Gottlieb Brandli Jr.

swissy
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
There are actually several US born Swiss playing in the Swiss league:

Eric Blum, SCL Tigers --> http://www.ericblum.ch/

Bernie Sigrist, Lausanne --> http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=45008

I'm sure there are more.

koh19
07-07-2009, 04:44 PM
So, looking at the current situation, here are the swiss players that we will see play in the NHL in the 2009-10 season:

Locks:
- Hiller (Anaheim): not sure if they're gonna start the season 50/50 with Giguere or if they're giving Hiller the starting job.

- Sbisa (Anaheim): should crack the Ducks' lineup. With Pronger, Beauchemin gone, he has a real chance

- Streit (NY Islanders): nothing to say, best defenseman of the team, could be the next captain, all-star caliber player

Good chance:

- Weber (Montreal): played a few games last year. With the arrivals of Spacek and Gill; and Markov, Hamrlik, Georges and O'Byrne, could be 7th dman. Could crack the lineup if O'Byrne is sent to Hamilton

Possibility:

-Ambühl (NY Rangers): signed a two-way deal with the Rangers. Their roster is pretty stacked right now but he could surprise everyone and get a spot. Will most likely start the season in Hartford, but who knows...

Small possibility:

-Steiner (Columbus): signed a tryout contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Would be a chocker if he starts the season with the Jackets.

Very unlikely:

-Stephan (Dallas): for some reason, the Stars organization don't seem to like this kid. Played only a handful of games last year, played ok. Dallas don't want him back.

-Gerber (Toronto): with Toskala and Gustavsson, there's no place for Gerbs. He might be able to find a team where he can be a solid veteran backup.

As for guys like Wick, I haven't heard anything yet.

Do you guys agree? Have I forgotten anybody?

stv11
07-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Some comments about your list :

- I can't see Montreal playing both Gill and O'Byrne too often, so unless they add another defenseman, Weber should get a fair number of games.

- Ambühl's style fits well on an NHL 3rd or 4th line, no reason to think he won't play.

- If Steiner is ever part of an NHL roster, that'd be a shocker but certainly not a choker :D

- Gerber should be lister under "Good chance" rather than "Very unlikely", unless you're specifically talking about him staying in Toronto.

koh19
07-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Some comments about your list :

- I can't see Montreal playing both Gill and O'Byrne too often, so unless they add another defenseman, Weber should get a fair number of games.

- Ambühl's style fits well on an NHL 3rd or 4th line, no reason to think he won't play.

- If Steiner is ever part of an NHL roster, that'd be a shocker but certainly not a choker :D

- Gerber should be lister under "Good chance" rather than "Very unlikely", unless you're specifically talking about him staying in Toronto.

lol, yeah I meant shocker.

As for Gerbs, he won't be back in Toronto but I'd be a bit surprised if he finds a starting job somewhere. I can see a team with a young goalie picking him up for veteran presence and experience.

torero
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Anyone has some news on Luca Cunti ?

This guy had the higest rating granted by hf futures. Since his rating was revised down. But i never saw him playing and in fact have very little info on him.

koh19
07-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Anyone has some news on Luca Cunti ?

This guy had the higest rating granted by hf futures. Since his rating was revised down. But i never saw him playing and in fact have very little info on him.

Nope. He wasn't at the Tampa Bay Lightning Young guns camp (wasn't on list at least).

torero
07-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Contracts are over for Tobias Stephan (ex Dallas) and Gerber (ex Toronto)

http://www.slapshot.ch/slapshot-news.aspx?newsid=8625&navi=7

Possibly Gerber would replace his old mate Emery in Russia.

http://www.slapshot.ch/slapshot-news.aspx?newsid=8640&navi=7

I really feel sorry for Stephan ... who never really had a shot at the NHL ice.

koh19
07-18-2009, 09:50 AM
yeah that sucks for Stephan. He busted his a$$ off in the minors for 3 years and this is how he gets rewarded?!?! Playing only a handful of games where he played pretty darn good under the circumstances. Turco played like shiit all season long. Tippett is an idiot, that's for sure.

Rafik Soliman
07-18-2009, 06:00 PM
The thing with Cunti is, that he's still unsigned.... The Lightings have until next summer to get him under contract or they will lose his rights!

I think he'll be in the pro camp after the development camp since he'll probably play in Norfolk next season (or as an overager Rimouski)...
The Admirals will probably have Juraj Simek and Luca Cunti on their roster... How cool is that (well Simek is not realy the type of guy I want as a teammate, but still somehow cool)....

Gerber is done in the NHL (to be honest, I always thought he was overrated, not that I didn't liked his achievments but I wouldn't have signed him to that much cash and so long...)!
I think he'll return to Sweden, since playing in russia is like your a creature in a zoo behind "swedish bars"... LOL

For Stephan it's realy gonna be hard, since even in Switzerland it looks like there are no goaltender spots open, the same for Daniel Manzato who also is UFA....
The best thing for both of them would be if Reto Berra (who is in the Blues development camp) gets a contract and goes to NA and one of them could fill in that spot.....

koh19
07-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Just read that Julien Sprunger's priority is not the NHL anymore but the swiss league. It's a shame really, if one guy could have become the first swiss forward to get a spot on a roster and keep it, it could have been him. He says that he thinks that he has a nice life in switzerland and that he wants to get married and have kids (:shakehead meh). He doesn't want to travel all across North America.

As for Roman Wick, I haven't heard anything. It's strange. He was supposed to go to the NHL this year and was supposed to be a highly saut after player.

Rafik Soliman
07-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Those two Players, Sprunger and Wick, are both missing a key element which is grit!

Grit like it has been successfully shown by Marc Streit or even Daniel Steiner right now (I have the biggest respect for him for trying this!)... I have full respect from such Players as they take what it needs to get to their dream....

Wick has quit already once to the NHL and the Senators, when they said after the camp he should go back to the CHL and work on certain thing, he choose to come back to Switzerland to play for good money for Kloten. In my eyes, if I would be a NHL-GM, I wouldn't even think of such a player who leaves when he doesn't like it anymore....

Sprunger has always been in my eyes to soft. I even think he's to soft for the swiss league where he gets pushed around.... My godness he's 6'4'' and weights 192 Pounds, that's like bones and skin.... :sarcasm:

koh19
07-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Those two Players, Sprunger and Wick, are both missing a key element which is grit!

Grit like it has been successfully shown by Marc Streit or even Daniel Steiner right now (I have the biggest respect for him for trying this!)... I have full respect from such Players as they take what it needs to get to their dream....

Wick has quit already once to the NHL and the Senators, when they said after the camp he should go back to the CHL and work on certain thing, he choose to come back to Switzerland to play for good money for Kloten. In my eyes, if I would be a NHL-GM, I wouldn't even think of such a player who leaves when he doesn't like it anymore....

Sprunger has always been in my eyes to soft. I even think he's to soft for the swiss league where he gets pushed around.... My godness he's 6'4'' and weights 192 Pounds, that's like bones and skin.... :sarcasm:

yeah, what Steiner is doing is great! Imagine if he made the blue jackets' roster on opening night! that would be amazing.

Concerning Wick, i wasn't aware of that NHL/CHL episode. That's unfortunate. Despite this fact, I think he has the offensive talent to make the NHL.

I also really hope Ambuhl makes it. He never got drafted but made his way up the swiss league and became one of the premier offensive players. He has the determination, grit, toughness and offensive impact to make the NHL. As things stand, the Rangers' lineup looks pretty stacked with guys like Gaborik, Avery, Gratchev, Callahan, Dubinsky, Zherdev, Kotalik, Drury, Brashear, Lisin, Anisimov and Voros. He might steal a spot on the 3rd or 4rd line as high energy/checking center but it looks like he might start the season in Hartford.

torero
07-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Gerber will play in the KHL ... Atlant Mytishchi replacing Emery !!

++

Nills Berger to from Repperswill to Innisfill lakers

Allan Tallarini from Langnau to Idaho Steelheads

Nino Niederreitter from Davos U20 to Portland winter hawks

++

By the way I discovered a very interesting site : eliteprospects dot com. certainly most of you know it ... but for the ones who don't : enjoy.

++

Does someone know something about Nino Niederreiter ?? he appears interesting in terms of numbers ... a goal hunter !
and quite young. The promised star of tomorow's swiss hockey ?

stv11
07-22-2009, 06:00 AM
Niederreiter looked promising when he played some games against Lugano during last year's playoffs. Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

Born on September 8th, 1992. That makes him eligible for next year draft, assuming the cutoff date is still september 15th.

Rafik Soliman
07-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Niederreiter looked promising when he played some games against Lugano during last year's playoffs. Definitely a player to keep an eye on.

Born on September 8th, 1992. That make him eligible for next year draft, assuming the cutoff date is still september 15th.

He could be a 1st Round Pick in next years NHL Entry Draft, at least a good chance to go in the Top 50...

He's big, a good skater with good hands... He's also a nice and respectable guy (kind of shy, but then he's only 16)!

The Problem is with his talent, that there are probably 20 Players out of canada who are at the same level. For sure, he's a special talent for Switzerland, one that comes along every ten or fifteen years....

Originally he's from Chur and went on to play for Davos....

stv11
07-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Interesting Gerber interview on hockeyfans.ch:

http://hockeyfans.ch/background/090722.htm

He said he had an opportunity to sign with Pittsburgh but wanted to be a number one, as well as a new challenge.

zecke26
07-22-2009, 06:24 PM
He could be a 1st Round Pick in next years NHL Entry Draft, at least a good chance to go in the Top 50...

i wouldn't be surprised if he's top15, maybe top20. the curse of swiss forwards might hurt his chances a bit, but scouts should judge him by what he is and could be and that's damn impressive.

stv11
07-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, to be fair the "curse of Swiss forwards" is just two first round busts that happened 10 years ago, no other was expected to amount to anything in the NHL.

zecke26
07-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Well, to be fair the "curse of Swiss forwards" is just two first round busts that happened 10 years ago, no other was expected to amount to anything in the NHL.

there were always swiss forwards who seemed to be good enough, but never made it. look at the NLA. i think there are around 10 forwards who should play NHL. but somehow it never really worked.
i'm curious what ambühl can do. he's another one of those who is good enough, but i'm not convinced that he stays in NA.

no NHL forwards doesn't reflect swiss hockey, because swiss hockey is better than that IMO. wouldn't you agree?

torero
07-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Interesting Gerber interview on hockeyfans.ch:

http://hockeyfans.ch/background/090722.htm

He said he had an opportunity to sign with Pittsburgh but wanted to be a number one, as well as a new challenge.

Perhaps he doesn't give all rea$on$ of his choice ?

stv11
07-23-2009, 04:34 AM
there were always swiss forwards who seemed to be good enough, but never made it. look at the NLA. i think there are around 10 forwards who should play NHL. but somehow it never really worked.
i'm curious what ambühl can do. he's another one of those who is good enough, but i'm not convinced that he stays in NA.

no NHL forwards doesn't reflect swiss hockey, because swiss hockey is better than that IMO. wouldn't you agree?

Maybe 10 is a strech, but some could for sure. But my point was that I don't think any NHL team would jump to conclusion regarding the small sample of Swiss forwards who had high expectations placed on them, just like it would be foolish to draw conclusions about the quality of Swiss defensemen based on Streit, Sbisa and Weber.

We're far from a situation comparable to Slovakia when they had all those superstar forwards and just one high level defenseman.

Perhaps he doesn't give all rea$on$ of his choice ?

Given that the KHL salary cap for next season is 17.4M USD with one exception per team (which in the case of Atlant is probably Mozyakin), Gerber's salary is probably around 1M, give or take a few hundreds, while I guess he could have earned something around 1.5M or more had he signed that Pittsburgh offer, which would make for a comparable net earning. In the end the opportunity to be a number one probably made the difference.

And he points out in the interview that he could have earned more in the NHL.

torero
07-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Given that the KHL salary cap for next season is 17.4M USD with one exception per team (which in the case of Atlant is probably Mozyakin), Gerber's salary is probably around 1M, give or take a few hundreds, while I guess he could have earned something around 1.5M or more had he signed that Pittsburgh offer, which would make for a comparable net earning. In the end the opportunity to be a number one probably made the difference.

And he points out in the interview that he could have earned more in the NHL.

Penguins are paying Fleury 5 mios. (actually different sites report different figures on fleur's salary). By paying Gerber 1.5 they would have a couple of 100's of thousands left for the year in cap space. (already like this, they are 27th out of 30 teams in cap space left with a 525'000 salary for the backup).

Then i do not think that salaries for russian players are that high. I am pretty convinced that being first goalie in KHL pays more than being backup in NHL on average. To get a 7 mio salary in Russia may be difficult but a foreigner can earn without problem a 1.5mio.

but it i am just in a nitty gritty calculation. finally who know$ ??

(it remainds me Federer choosing Zug as a dwelling place only because the appartment was soooo beautifull !)

Rafik Soliman
07-23-2009, 12:10 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if he's top15, maybe top20. the curse of swiss forwards might hurt his chances a bit, but scouts should judge him by what he is and could be and that's damn impressive.

I can't tell that, since I haven't seen any of the other 2010 NHL Talent and I'm not sure how accurate those lists in the prospect-boards are.... But hey, that wouldn't be bad and I think he'd be also a guy with the right will to get to the NHL...

From the 26th of december 'till 30th there will be a nice 5 nations tournament (with u18 from SUI / CZE / SVK/ GER / FIN) in Zuchwil, Switzerland. That's a good chance to compare Swiss Players to others, but Nino unfortunatly will be in Canada...

koh19
07-23-2009, 07:22 PM
What about guys like Bezina and Romy? are they still planning on coming to NA?

stv11
07-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Maybe Romy, but I think Bezina should learn to skate, handle the puck and pass first :D

Rafik Soliman
07-24-2009, 08:46 AM
What about guys like Bezina and Romy? are they still planning on coming to NA?

I always thought that Romy had signed an Entry Level Contract with the Flyers a couple of years ago and then got loaned to Lugano...

At least it says so on this bio: http://forecaster.faceoff.com/faceoff/hockey/player.cgi?3740

But I'm not sure if that was ever true or what's up with his status!?

torero
07-27-2009, 07:43 AM
First time an NHL team has two swiss players in the roster ! (Ducks)

Sbisa may play in the first line and Hiller is a very good backup that may get a first position one of these days/years.

Ducks for the cup.
GoDucksGo

stv11
07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Montreal had Streit and Aebischer.

torero
07-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Montreal had Streit and Aebischer.

You have a point !

koh19
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Didn't Phoenix have Aebischer and Fischer at some point?

stv11
07-27-2009, 10:04 AM
No, Fischer played in 2006-07 and Aebischer in 2007-08.

The Angry Teatowel
08-16-2009, 06:12 AM
First time an NHL team has two swiss players in the roster ! (Ducks)

Sbisa may play in the first line and Hiller is a very good backup that may get a first position one of these days/years.

Ducks for the cup.
GoDucksGo

I think it's quite likely Hiller will start the season as number one, after a great play-offs, he's certainly earned that chance. Hiller and Sbisa both playing important roles for a successful hockey club is great for Swiss hockey!

torero
08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
I think it's quite likely Hiller will start the season as number one, after a great play-offs, he's certainly earned that chance. Hiller and Sbisa both playing important roles for a successful hockey club is great for Swiss hockey!

Sbisa is likely to play ... although i think he will be observed ... Yet Ducks have a poor farm team structure therefore, since he is deemed valuable, they are not likely to send him to AHL. (they will be using the farm team of another NHL team ... they will not have the possibility to control the development of a placer !) That will certainly play a role in making them play Sbisa.

But Hiller starting as first goalie is far from sure. In fact Guigere is under contract for 2 years at a salary of 6mios a year ... so if they would give up onto Guigere ... they would loose this money. He would have no value on the market ...

The chance of Hiller lies more in the fact that the goalie trainer ... François Alaire went to Toronto. Therefore the Duck's organisation is unsecured as to the capacity to find new goalies to replace the old ones. So they will also push Hiller to stay ... i guess. Three years ago Bryzgalov had amazing games in playoffs ... yet he started the year after as backup in favour of Guigere and was even waived for Hiller.

torero
09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
How are swiss players in regards to their possibility to play in NA this year ?

Streit - Will be part of Islander team 100% again with a leading role.

Sbisa ... likely to be on the 2nd or 3rd defense line with the Ducks chances are 70%

Hiller ... likely to be a nber 2 or a B goalie of high level with the Ducks. maybe nber 1 ... depeding on Jigger ... i would say chances are : 25% A vs 75% B. The reason is more complicated than simple capacitiy as described in a previous post

Weber ... Possibly D with the Canadiens, certainly during the year as some may be injured or ... chances for him to be on the NHL roster upfront would be 10% vs 90% in a farm team waiting his opportunity.

Ambuhl ... as forward with the Rangers ... to tell you the thruth ... i have no idea ... i didn't see him and people seem to be negative (may be with complexes on the swiss side ... as usual) and on the american side they simply ignore what the do not know. so little feed back. But he is likely to get at least a contract and to play in AHL. probability he plays in 3rd or 4th line with the rangers 30% / 70% in the AHL.

Steiner ... with the blue jackets ... i read average good things and ... no bad things ... maybe he is simply invisible by a relative lack of talent .. possibility to play upfront with the Blue jackets 20% vs 80% in AHL or in Sweden or even KHL ...

Luca Cunti ... most likely will stay in Rimouski 90% vs 10% ...no idea or an AHL team.

Nino Niderreitter will play for the Portland winter hawks
Nills Berger for the Innisfill lakers
Allan Tallarini for the Idaho Steelheads

Martin Gerber in Atlant Mitishi (KHL) ... as goaltender ... 100% ! i always had faith in him. (lets not foget he has been a frontruner with Aebischer in NA AND blanked Canada + did many other "prouesses" that are presently forgotten. !! RESPECT)

If I forgot a player , if you want to add something or critisize one of my says ... let go ! we are a country that promotes freedom of expression. And the idea of this is to create a debate on our players abroad !

stv11
09-16-2009, 05:27 AM
The Ducks made a good job of adding some depth on defense, so I think Sbisa's chances are more like 50-50. I would also rank Hiller at 50-50, no reason to think he won't get his fair share of games at the start of the season.

Steiner and Cunti should both be at 0%. Also you forgot Juraj Simek for Tampa Bay and Robert Mayer with Montreal, but they have no chance to make the team anyway.

koh19
09-16-2009, 07:20 AM
I really think Ambuhl can grap a spot on the Rangers' roster. Every time I visit the Rangers board, I'm amazed to see how low people place him in the organization. Nobody even mentions him as a possible callup or a 13th forward. I've even seen some posters put him on the 4th line in Hartford....

Concerning Cunti, he's no longer part of the Tampa Bay Lightning organization. They didn't offer him a contract. He took part in the Traverse City prospect tournament with the Minnesota Wild but I don't know if they offered him a contract or if they invited him to the main camp.

IMO, Sbisa is a look. He'll make the team.

I'm surprised that Roman Wick didn't find a NHL franchise willing to offer him a contract. Maybe he's playing one more year in the NLA to improve his skills :dunno:

TheNextOneX
09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I disagree with Ambuhl, actually i receive positive comment about his performance during the training camp. Ambuhl tipped a nice centering pass from Kotalik on the left side and also scored by deflecting a shot past goalie Matt Zaba. He and Finnish D Ilkka Heikinen, have a shot of making the team.

As for Roman Wick, i hear that he had a valid contract with Kloten until 2010-2011...He also said that he doesn't want to rush the NHL road. He's a bit soft IMO.

Simek did a nice surprise during his training camp by having at least 1 goal per game. He did get out of his lethargy state during the end of the season with Norfolk. I hope this will encourage him for the next season and hopefully make the team past mid-season if he can:nod::yo:

torero
09-16-2009, 02:49 PM
For Sbisa i actually believe that he will make the team. An additional reason than simply the quality of the player is that Ducks have no dedicated farm team. Consequently by not alligning him in NHL, they will place him in a team with no control ... they want to develop him. The development program for him might be at risk.

For Ambuhl, i hope thenextoneX is right ... if he isn't, i hope that ultimately Ambuhl's qualities will prevail over the very strong conventional wisdom that generaly reigns in Anglo Saxon countries that would be against him. (i fear a problem like with Von Arx although Ambuhl is now under contract while at the time Von Arx may not have been ... in fact i do not know this last point ... i am just speculating based on the outcome) ...

ThenextoneX ... by the way how did you get this info on Ambuhl's tipping and deflections ... personal contact or a publicly internet available source ?? tks

TheNextOneX
09-16-2009, 07:20 PM
ThenextoneX ... by the way how did you get this info on Ambuhl's tipping and deflections ... personal contact or a publicly internet available source ?? tks

http://www.newsday.com/blogs/sports/blue-notes-1.811976/informals-wrap-up-players-scatter-for-weekend-1.1422400

http://www.snyrangersblog.com/2009/09/04/informal-practice-lundqvist-ambuhl-skating/

However, i change my mind with Ambuhl, look like they want him to start his season in Hartford. Btw, Andres Ambuhl scored the deciding goal in the fifth round of the shootout, beating Mike McKenna to the stick side to give Hartford a 3-2 victory in the tiebreaker.

Maybee it was his smaller stride during training camp...i guess he may be one of the first call-up when the season begin.

torero
09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Ambuhl's situation seems to be pointing toward the AHL Hartford. Actually what i read was, besides the goals he scored ... he got knocked off the puck ... . Then I understand them wanting him to bulck up or to toughen up in order to be more solid on the puck.

It is true that in Switzerland, referees would not allow many usual "attacks" for North America. He must adjust to this game style.

He seems to be recognized as good ... good hands, fast, fighting spirit but needs to become stronger. That makes sense.

Under this perspective it could be that some time in AHL with a dedicated training program would be highly beneficial to him.

If he keeps willing and training ... he might just be a good second liner forward in 1 or 2 years.

torero
09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Ambuhl's situation seems to be pointing toward the AHL Hartford. Actually what i read was, besides the goals he scored ... he got knocked off the puck ... . Then I understand them wanting him to bulck up or to toughen up in order to be more solid on the puck.

It is true that in Switzerland, referees would not allow many usual "attacks" for North America. He must adjust to this game style.

He seems to be recognized as good ... good hands, fast, fighting spirit but needs to become stronger. That makes sense.

Under this perspective it could be that some time in AHL with a dedicated training program would be highly beneficial to him.

If he keeps willing and training ... he might become a good second liner forward in 1 or 2 years.

torero
09-18-2009, 08:22 AM
A very interesting article on all swiss legionnaires

http://hockeyfans.ch/background/090915.htm

in german ... yet it can of course be easly translated. A must read for all fans of swiss hockey players abroad.

TheNextOneX
09-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Luca Cunti has sign a 10 day try-out with SC Bern. He may spend the entire season in the Swiss NLA.:nod:

torero
09-28-2009, 03:56 PM
While i am disapointed by what happend to Ambuhl and Steiner (they both were ejected from the NHL team ... i still have not understanding if Steiner will be playing with the crunchs or not ...answer in some days )

The broad picture is still impressive.

10 years ago ... only Aebisher would be in NHL or not even that ... Risen and Von arx would have had some games in preseason.
5 yrs ago we would have 2 goalies NHL, 2 AHL players, 1 sweden ... and that is it.

today We have 2 field players (i consider Sbisa or Weber as making the team + Streit) in NHL (1 star among them Streit), 1 goalie that is doing well as NHL player, then we have some AHL players ... around 4 or 5, 2or 3 in inferior NA leagues, 2 field players in Sweden (Modo & ... the ex-champion Faerjestadt), 1 goalie in Germany, 1 goalie in ... the KHL, we also have 1 playing in Italy.

During the year, i am convinced that some AHL'ers will have a shot at the NHL, and if Ambuhl can reinforce his body weight/substance ... he'll be a regular NHL player next year with no doubt.

Looks like the broad image is getting brighter and brighter (breiter und breiter;))for swiss hockey.

Strategically, we had explorers 10 years ago, now sections of mercenaries ... let's picture legions for the coming 10 years.

And finally the swiss hockey team will have made the leap in the top hockey countries.

The future is bright, the future is red and white. ;)

PS: Ambuhl will be with the Hartford Wolf packs who obivously proceeded to their last cut. Steiner has not been signed at this point by the Syracuse Crunch but scored a goal in a 3-2 shutout loss vs Senator's B team Binghampton.

TheFirstSaviour
10-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Caio jungs, hope you've had a great summer.

Weber has been called up with the injuries to O'Bryne and Markov. Good opportunity for him. I was surprised to see Montreal bring in so many Dmen this summer. They really never gave Weber or Subban a chance, in my opinion.

Sbisa played in the Ducks opener on Saturday and saw some time on the PP. You all must be excited about he and Hiller playing together this season.

torero
10-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Daniel Steiner, best scorer for the Langnau Tigers last years found a tryout position with the Reading Royals, an ECHL farm team of Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins.

Good Luck Daniel.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3913709

So now their are 4 players in the NHL, namely Sbisa and Hiller for the Ducks, Streit for the Islanders and Weber (to replace Markov in some aspects) for the Canadiens.

torero
10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Daniel Steiner, best scorer for the Langnau Tigers last years found a tryout position with the Reading Royals, an ECHL farm team of Toronto Maple Leafs and the Boston Bruins.

Good Luck Daniel.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3913709

So now their are 4 players in the NHL, namely Sbisa and Hiller for the Ducks, Streit for the Islanders and Weber (to replace Markov in some aspects) for the Canadiens.

Happy end for Daniel Steiner He was signed yesterday.
http://www.royalshockey.com/news/news.asp?story_id=914

On the other side, Weber was sent back to Hamilton after having had many negative chriticismes on his games for the Habs. He was not alligned in a pp while it was supposed to be the purpose of him playing for the Habs. (this is where his vision and his sniper skills are most appreciated)

Luca Cunti will finaly play for the SCLangnau Tigers for the year.

Nino Niderreiter : playing for the Winterhawks had in 10 games 4 goals and 6 assists ... 10 pts !

torero
10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
yeah that sucks for Stephan. He busted his a$$ off in the minors for 3 years and this is how he gets rewarded?!?! Playing only a handful of games where he played pretty darn good under the circumstances. Turco played like shiit all season long. Tippett is an idiot, that's for sure.

you were bloody right ! therefore he lost his job.

And Servette has a hell of a goalie with Stephan !!! Pity ... because he could have had much more i felt.

torero
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Sbisa was sent down to Letherbridge ...

So only 2 Swiss will be permanently scratching NHL ice this year ... Hiller and Streit.

Wellll ! I hope with all the ones that are in NA ... next year will be a bigger year for swiss mercenaries in the NHL.

torero
11-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Does someone has any news about Ambuhl ??

i am impressed that in 13 games he only has 1 goal and no assist.
i understood that he doesn't get too much ice time ...

jonas234567
11-09-2009, 03:20 AM
It seems that he's stucked in the 3rd or 4th line and doesn't get much ice-time.
According to a media-report I read he tries to get traded but going back to Davos is also a possibility.

koh19
11-09-2009, 06:24 AM
It seems that he's stucked in the 3rd or 4th line and doesn't get much ice-time.
According to a media-report I read he tries to get traded but going back to Davos is also a possibility.

I really hope he stays and tries to work his way up! If he already goes back home, what message does that send to the NHL/AHL teams? One of the best swiss offensive player that we've had in decades already goes back home to Switzerland after not even a year. He needs to work hard, play hard, score some points and he'll soon be on the 1st or 2nd line.

TheNextOneX
11-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I also think he should stay. The New York Rangers is a great organization, i hear that he play in the 4th line and is not having much ice time. He's not playing with the most skilled players of the team too. That's explain is poor production. He need to steal the game, and as soon as it happen, can be promoted to the 2nd and 1st line.

If he doesn't succeed, a trade with the Anaheim Ducks would be great as already 2 Swiss players plays in that team.

Sweden has Detroit Red Wings, Switzerland can have Anaheim Ducks as their teams too...:rolly::naughty:

This will have also positive value for the national team, as those players are going to build chemistry with each others. :)

stv11
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I really hope he stays and tries to work his way up! If he already goes back home, what message does that send to the NHL/AHL teams? One of the best swiss offensive player that we've had in decades already goes back home to Switzerland after not even a year. He needs to work hard, play hard, score some points and he'll soon be on the 1st or 2nd line.

Ambühl only once came close from a point per game average in the NLA, he's far from being the best current Swiss offensive player, let alone the best in decades. He's primarily a defensive player.

Still, I'm surprised his coach doesn't trust him into a better role. Hard to show what you can do on an AHL 4th line.

torero
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
News on Andres Ambuhl ... he will stay in NA for the time being ...

:handclap:

http://www.slapshot.ch/slapshot-news.aspx?newsid=9718&navi=1

dsg89
11-19-2009, 05:21 AM
Found this nice article at Hockeyfans.ch

Unfortunatelly it's german, if someone wants to translate it, feel free to do so :)

Mark Streit und seine „neuen“ Islanders

Von Dennis Schellenberg

Die letzten beiden Saisons mussten die Islanders und ihre Fans leiden, doch heuer scheint es so, als könnte man die ersten Früchte des Wiederaufbaus des Vereines ernten. Die Islanders haben wieder eine konkurrenzfähige Mannschaft.

Nach einem gespielten Viertel der neuen Saison stehen die Islanders in der Mitte der Eastern Conference und somit in direkter Reichweite für einen Playoffplatz. Dies ist eine klare Verbesserung gegenüber der letzten Saison. Wenn die Islanders so weiterspielen, kämen sie auf etwa 80 Punkte am Ende der Saison, verglichen mit den letztjährigen 61 Punkten ist dies eine klare Steigerung.

http://hockeyfans.ch/background/091117.htm

torero
11-21-2009, 06:05 PM
Daniel Steiner (RW) is enjoying a healthy ride in these last games.
With the Reading Royals in ECHL he presently has a 9 games ... 3 goals 12 assists : 15 points stats.

Not bad !!

++

Nino Niederreiter LW with the Portland Winterhawks in WHL is also displaying nice stats with 25 games, 10 goals, 12 assists : 22 points.

++

Alain Berger RW, with Oshwa General scored 6 goals, 7 assists : 13 points in 21 games

++

Not knowing to what point Juraj Simek (LW) is Swiss, he socred for the Norfolk Admirals in AHL 3 goals, 9 assists : 12 points in 19 games.
(if someone has deeper understanding about his nationality ... i will be happy ... my understanding is that he is Swiss but not very proud about it or hides it in order to benefit from the Slovak rep instead of the Swiss rep which is a negative in North America ice hockey.)

++

Now we are waiting on Andres Ambuhl to start driving the same path.
даваи андрес (go Andres go !), (hop Andres), (Allez Andres), (Forza Andres), (Dalle Cana Andres), (chinga los Andres), ...

Alessandro Seren Rosso
11-25-2009, 02:17 PM
With the Reading Royals in ECHL he presently has a 9 games ... 3 goals 12 assists : 15 points stats.

Not bad !!

++

Nino Niederreiter LW with the Portland Winterhawks in WHL is also displaying nice stats with 25 games, 10 goals, 12 assists : 22 points.

++

Alain Berger RW, with Oshwa General scored 6 goals, 7 assists : 13 points in 21 games

++

Not knowing to what point Juraj Simek (LW) is Swiss, he socred for the Norfolk Admirals in AHL 3 goals, 9 assists : 12 points in 19 games.
(if someone has deeper understanding about his nationality ... i will be happy ... my understanding is that he is Swiss but not very proud about it or hides it in order to benefit from the Slovak rep instead of the Swiss rep which is a negative in North America ice hockey.)

++

даваи андрес (go Andres go !), (hop Andres), (Allez Andres), (Forza Andres), (Dalle Cana Andres), (chinga los Andres), ...

just a little note davai is write with й -- давай

slovakiasnextone
11-26-2009, 03:41 AM

Not bad !!

++

++

++

++

I think Slovak nationality and Swiss citizenship would be the best way to put it, though I suppose he might own Slovak citizenship too. He was born in Prešov, SVK to Slovak parents, but their family moved to SUI in 1992, because his dad was a professional handball player, who even used to play for team Czechoslovakia. Simek played for Slovak U16 and U17 teams and wanted to play for the older teams at the WJC etc. as well, however he couldn´t because of the IIHF rule that you have to play 2 years in the league of the country you want to represent. So he is eligible and has played for SUI at the big events U18WHC and WJC and I´d say itś good so since he got his hockey education in Switzerland anyway.

torero
11-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Tks for the Davai "давай" and for explanations on Juraj Simek's situation.

I forgot one that is also having a very good year !!!

Nils Berger at the Innisfil Lakers ... he is Forward R ... and in 16 games has 14goals, 18 assists ... 32points and leads his team in scoring points.

++

Andres Ambuhl scored a second goal !

keep your work both !!!
:handclap::handclap:

torero
11-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Daniel Steiner, after having lead the scoring with Reading royal in spite of fewer game than his mates (12 games for him vs 17 or 18 for the team) with 4 goals 14 assists ... 18 points.

He was signed for a tryout contract with the Adirondack Phantoms in AHL.

I personnaly like his attitude ... he went for a training camp with the columbus blue jackets (NHL), they didn't take him, then he went for a training camp with the Syracuse Crunchs (AHL), they didn't take him ... so he tried in the ECHL with the Reading Royals ... where he scored beyond the team's expectation. Now he is on tryout with an AHL team.

I highly respect that type of attitude. fighting spirit.

:bow: Steiner

koh19
11-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Daniel Steiner, after having lead the scoring with Reading royal in spite of fewer game than his mates (12 games for him vs 17 or 18 for the team) with 4 goals 14 assists ... 18 points.

He was signed for a tryout contract with the Adirondack Phantoms in AHL.

I personnaly like his attitude ... he went for a training camp with the columbus blue jackets (NHL), they didn't take him, then he went for a training camp with the Syracuse Crunchs (AHL), they didn't take him ... so he tried in the ECHL with the Reading Royals ... where he scored beyond the team's expectation. Now he is on tryout with an AHL team.

I highly respect that type of attitude. fighting spirit.

:bow: Steiner

Wow, great news for Steiner. I was wondering why he wasn't in the lineup on saturday night.

torero
11-29-2009, 06:13 PM
One great news following another one, Ambuhl scored again ...
i am convinced he read my post some days ago !!

More seriously i am so happy he found the way of the net again.
In fact i suspect he had more ice time than usual because he had 5 shots on the net ... generally he would have close to no shots.
Great he found the way of the net again.

so now he has 3 goals, 1 assist 4 points .... among which 2 goals in the last 3 games.

давай андрес

torero
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Steiner has returned to the Royal Readings in ECHL ....

Questioning how much he had his chance with Adirondack(AHL) ! ?
After all, this Adirondack team has serious problems in scoring (the only AHL team that hasn't scored 40 goals + last in the division and almost last in AHL tks to a decent defense)... and the guys who chose the players in place and trained them are the same who chose Steiner and sent him back 2 days later .... in other words not very successful people.

I hope that he keeps enjoying the ride with a good ECHL team.

torero
12-05-2009, 09:57 PM
i had the chance to finally watch a game with the Wolf Packs (AHL) ...and Ambuhl. Very interesting. in fact i imagine I understand part of his problems.

He is too fast, too smart and not big and strong enough. He is definitely not paired with players who fit him.
Maybe he is even in an inappropriate team.
I understand that some of these coaches have a very narrow vision of hockey ... some have their style and are not ready to change it in order to optimize the output of a talented but non standard player.

The line where he was in, was simply not following his vision and his game. So he often made passes and didn't receive the puck back or passed the puck to a team mate before entering the camp of the other team. The team mate would be too slow to enter the opponent's zone and Ambuhl would end up off side.
Then he lacks the size (speed + size = momentum(power)) to force the passage as a soliste.

of course difficult to summarize the situation in some lines.

But his situation is difficult. I do not see him succeed in this team. Or if he does, he is ready for a career at the NHL level. Maybe it will require loads of work ... .

Maybe the fact that these AHL teams are farm teams, meaning that the best players will simply not be playing for the team when called for an NHL replacement and the simple turnover among players limits the quality of the collective game.

In fact i was really disapointed by the level of this game. Wolf pack - Scranton Penguins. And for sure our LNA is way above this level. Probably this game wasn't the best the AHL can offer as well.

torero
12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Steiner ... player of the week at Reading Royals.

http://www.royalshockey.com/assets/arena/royals%20wr%2008%20(09%2012-07).pdf

After this 2 days "ausflug" to Adirondack ... .

torero
12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
RE : Ambuhl

i watched another of the Wolfpacks games ... vs Hershey bears.

they lost 9-2.

To me this game confirmed my feeling vs Scranton ... Ambuhl has a problem in fitting in this team. His style doesn't match. He was way above the others (in my view). Ended up with a +0 balance. He was trying to put some fire everywhere but the others would simply not be able to carry the torch.
He seemed to have more ice time with better lines ... since he scored these 2 goals last week.

The bears were by far better, closer to LNA level. Much closer. While Wolfpacks dived into a real wreck. The Wolfpacks simply seemed in total disaray vs the bears who were a real team with a much better collective game.

they started broadcasting some AHL games on www.atdhe.net

swisdan
12-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I have a good feeling about a another swiss drafted in a first round.

Nino Niederreiter is among the best rookie in CHL. And for one time, it's a huge player (not like busts like Cunti, Cereda, and few others swiss drafts) with great physical potential. For me , he'll be one of future best swissplayer in NHL. The other'll be Josi.

Your thoughts?

koh19
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM

Nino Niederreiter is among the best rookie in CHL. And for one time, it's a huge player (not like busts like Cunti, Cereda, and few others swiss drafts) with great physical potential. For me , he'll be one of future best swissplayer in NHL. The other'll be Josi.

Your thoughts?

lol, funny you mention Cereda because I saw him today for the first time.

torero
12-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Your thoughts?

Nino Niederreiter seems to be one of the big hopes. As you say, presently the best rookie in CHL. Generating lots of discussions among scouts. He is a star in a team of stars ... Winterhawks have many (5 or 6) brilliant players ... yet i still read here and there that he was above the crowd in many games + scored many times the winning goal. Soft hands, smart, strong, 6.2 205lbs, ... he has the potential for a first level player in the NHL. Armadas of scouts will be observing him in the WCJ.
on this site a thread is about him :
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=712369&highlight=niederreiter
Funilly the Name stroke many people ... so in the receipt of success ... a good name with potential nick names are in his assets. "el nino".:laugh:
of course i am joking a bit but not that much. I seriously believe that he has many assets to succeed.

Alain Berger could also be among the next scratching NHL ice. Also a big size. 6.4 for 205lbs. he scores and he fights. NA type player. Maybe less refined but is still scoring well presently.

torero
12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Alain Berger of the Oshawa Generals is the Boston Pizza OHL Player of the Week for the week ending December 13.

Free Pizzas margerita for 1 year :laugh:
Congratulations

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3940751

+ interesting article on him

http://newsdurhamregion.com/sports/article/142507

smitty10
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Your thoughts?

I think at the next olympics the Swiss will have many NHLers. Among them will be Sbisa, Weber, Josi, Niederreiter, Hiller, and Streit. I think the best two will be Sbisa and Niederreiter though.

torero
12-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Daniel Steiner was signed for a tryout contract with the Rochester Americans ... 1st game monday against the Hershey Bears .

Both teams are leading their division.

++

Hartford wolfpack won 6-1 against the Toronto Marlies ... Ambuhl was benched.

hopefully he arranges something somewhere else.
So far, i could see that the wolfpacks weren't good. Yet if they start playing better without him .... i cannot see good signs in it.

torero
12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I watched the Hershey Bears - Rochester Americans ... with Daniel Steiner playing for the first time for the Americans with a tryout contract. (AHL)

Hershey won 5-4.

Well Steiner looked really good.

he scored + had 1 assist + screened perfectly the goalie on a 3rd goal. so he was directly involved on 3 goals.

Whenever he was on the ice, their was danger on the Hershey goal.

He has a very sound and smart positioning + is solid on the puck. efficient in forchecking ... .

Good and smart player .... i was really pleased observing him.

He was used on the power plays ... and in the "good" line. He spent a lot of time on the ice.

The speaker didn't stop to talk about Steiner. His ECHL scorings and regreted that he be not named among the 3 stars of the game.

++

Now he is heading for the spengler cup to reinforce Manheim Adler.

I am convinced that he will have nice oportunities back in North America in January(AHL). In fact i wouldn't be surpised that he gets an NHL opportunity next season.

Maybe he could deserve a shot on a Nationalmanshaft spot. I didn't know him before ... . He has a interesting presence on the ice and influences the game in a very sound way.

torero
12-20-2009, 10:08 PM
I watched Rochester Americans vs Hamilton Bulldogs. Americans 4 - 5 Bulldogs in ot.

For the swiss .... Steiner vs Weber.

Both did pretty well.

Steiner scored again ... had less ice time than yesterday. I understand that the Rochester Americans would have interest in signing him. (comments on the Americans board by someone who is in the lockeroom and may have spoken with him or heard discussions.)

He is leaving for the Spengler cup. Hopefully they will contract him after it. (in 2 games he scored 2 times, 1 assist and 1 goalie screening in a goal with no traning with the team !)

While he had less presence (in time and as personality ... possibly tired 4th game in 5days or 3rd in 3 days) than yesterday vs Hershey ... he still shows up as a very solid and mature player ... and he scores.

++

Weber is a solid defender. He acts more wisely than his age could imply. If he gets back his sniping power and precision ... he will be NHL material next year.

torero
12-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Alain Berger was named player of the week for the OHL.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jJSKXWApQKISbUrtfhW60bW4aYYg

++

Nino Niderreiter was chosen for the top prospect game in january

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/index.ssf/2009/12/three_chosen_for_top_prospects.html

sabrefan27
12-27-2009, 09:58 PM
The Amerks are still announcing Steiner as a healthy scratch before every game, so it looks like they want him back after he's done with the Spengler Cup. Good news, as I thought he was very effective.

koh19
12-28-2009, 07:46 AM
That's good news!

There's an article in today's local newspaper about Steiner and his "american dream".

He says that he's had a few crazy weeks, going from Reading to Adirondack, back to Reading and to Rochester. He mentions that all his stuff are always in bags so that he's ready when he gets the call.

He goes on to say that he doesn't want to be content with the lifestyle of a swiss player playing in the NLA. He says that it's a great life experience and that he's gonna at least stay till the end of the season in North America.

Although he'd get a much higher salary in switzerland, he says that he wants to experience things, go places, take his best shot at making the NHL.

On a site note, he compared the ECHL to a good NLB level and the AHL to a very good NLA level.

TheNextOneX
12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Can you guys tell me why we don't see more swiss prospect in N.A. juniors league? It will be great if Switzerland had at least more than 10 skaters in Canadian Junior League.:nod:

Switzerland should produce more young prospect such as Nino Niederreiter or Roman Josi and allow young prospect to play in Nla at 15 or 16 years old. "Quantity" is a big problem for Switzerland.

torero
12-28-2009, 10:28 AM
STEINER

In the Spengler cup game between Manheim and Minsk, the comentator said that Steiner was about to sign a contract with an AHL team when back in the US.

Yet we should take care about this info ... the reason being that the comentator is apparently a friend of Steiner ... maybe some things that aren't public were said publicly (on tv), therefore no specification were made with what AHL team ... (Steiner is still between Royal Reading and Amerks. The last news on the Royal Reading site is that they lent Steiner to the Amerks.)

++

abouth ECHL = LNB and AHL = LNA ...

I started watching AHL games to see where Ambuhl was ... then to see how Steiner was doing .... i do certainly not have the deep understanding of hockey that koh19 (i read on a post you played with some local selections) or others have (i never practiced) but i am not convinced about that. To put it in a diplomatic mode ... i was not impressed. While on a physical level the AHL seems stronger, hands would be equivalently soft ... the speed and the collective game are definitely in favour of NLA. In fact regarding the speed and collective game; some games are faster in NLA than NHL.

I insist on the some games because .... in light of level / salaries ... it should be never !! don't get me wrong ! the level of skill is not comparable. I am not saying NHL<NLA !!

Now ... I am just expressing my view ... obviously Steiner has a deeper understanding than me in this area (i hope !) ... yet i saw what i saw and maybe my understanding was biased by a sampling issue. (i also only watch SCB games ... the others are only zapped or higlights on TV to the exception of European games and Spengler).

torero
01-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Luca Sbisa was acquired by the Portland Winterhawks from Letherbridge Huricanes.

http://www.winterhawks.com/news/pressreleases/index.html?article_id=504

I understand that the Winterhawks are having the best season in some years. that they are the WHL team with most talents in its team. So they have a chance to be a serious cotender for the WHL cup.

Since Sbisa will be starting to play for them after the Olympics due to his injury, and that odds of seeing Sbisa scratching NHL ice next year are more and more serious, he is likely to stay only during the last games or regular season + playoffs. In other words Winterhawks are securing stronger resources for the playoffs in order to increase their chances for the cup.

http://www.winterhawks.com/news/pressreleases/index.html?article_id=508

On a Swiss level; 2 swiss in the same team ! after Anaheim, Hamilton, Montreal ... . 2 Swiss on the same team is not commodity so far. Worth being mentioned.

Winterhawks for the WHL Cup !!

swissexpert
01-12-2010, 06:07 AM
On a Swiss level; 2 swiss in the same team ! after Anaheim, Hamilton, Montreal ... . 2 Swiss on the same team is not commodity so far. Worth being mentioned.

Winterhawks for the WHL Cup !!

winterhawks for the cup :yo:

seriously, swiss ice hockey will be well presented in the next few years in NA, a look at our talents in 3 years:

jonas hiller: starting goalie in anaheim or elsewhere if he can hold his career save pct on .920 and continue his stellar play off performance, he`s on the way to a franchise goaltender.
but we all know, nhl-goaltending is a hard business and if he struggles at the wrong time, we`ll see him back in davos sooner than we want to.
chance of being in starting lineup 2012/13: 90%

mark streit: at the end of his contract, still a top 15 league Dman in points.
maybe he`s already signed a one-year extension.
chance of being in starting lineup 2012/13: 98%

yannick weber: at least a powerplay specialist and top 4 Dman. "Next Streit" in Montreal offensively productive.
chance of being in starting lineup 2012/13: 80%

luca sbisa: solid young defender who is fast and shows good hands. Having a lot of ice time, not many points.
chance of being in starting lineup 2012/13: 90%

nino niederreiter: in the beginning of a great career. power forward with more than 40 points in his rookie season.

roman josi: predators are a good organisation for developing Dmen, so he`s a PP scorer and top 4 Dman, reaching at least 10 goals per season.

50%:
alain berger, it depends on how he`s doing in the minor leagues, but I see good chances for him.

30%:
julien sprunger, really don`t know why he isn`t already playing in NA. family?
physical player with excellent skickhandling, age is also okay for taking the step...
severin blindenbacher, maybe too old to play over the sea, but he`s moving on in sweden and has more ice time than many other in his team.
juraj simek: on pace for career high 40 points in AHL. was very close to the final roster in the training camps over the last 2 years. but is he really swiss? which country would he play for?

20%:
dominik schlumpf, roman wick, lukas stoop, beat forster

under 10%:
daniel steiner, mauro jörg, lukas flüeler, benjamin conz, nils berger, martin gerber, andres ambühl, tobias stephan, etc...

that means I see at least 6 players as NHL starters in the next years, that looks very nice!!
please tell me if I forgot someone interesting!

koh19
01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Julien Sprunger isn't playing in north america because he said he wants a one-way deal and there's no way a NHL is going to give him that.

I'd also mention Patrick Geering. He played great for Zurich during the whole Champions Hockey League, won it, played a tremendous game against the Chicago Blackhawks and had a very good World Junior Championship.

Roman Wick should also be considered.

swissexpert
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Julien Sprunger isn't playing in north america because he said he wants a one-way deal and there's no way a NHL is going to give him that.

I'd also mention Patrick Geering. He played great for Zurich during the whole Champions Hockey League, won it, played a tremendous game against the Chicago Blackhawks and had a very good World Junior Championship.

Roman Wick should also be considered.

I had wick listed by 20% as you can see.

right, i forgot geering. I think we`ve got a good depth in defense. I see him on a level with lukas stoop and maybe dominik schlumpf.
with sbisa, weber, josi in front of them, there`s a lot of potential.

and for julien sprunger, of course, no NHL team gives him a one way contract if he doesn`t want to try a preseason camp like daniel steiner or plays a hell of olympics :D
a sprunger with the mentality of steiner, that would be fine :handclap:

koh19
01-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I had wick listed by 20% as you can see.

right, i forgot geering. I think we`ve got a good depth in defense. I see him on a level with lukas stoop and maybe dominik schlumpf.
with sbisa, weber, josi in front of them, there`s a lot of potential.

and for julien sprunger, of course, no NHL team gives him a one way contract if he doesn`t want to try a preseason camp like daniel steiner or plays a hell of olympics :D
a sprunger with the mentality of steiner, that would be fine :handclap:

Yeah, Sprunger said he didn't want to have to battle in the AHL, even less in the ECHL, and that life in Switzerland was good so the NHL wasn't his ultimate goal anymore.

swissexpert
01-12-2010, 02:45 PM
it`s sad because he`s so talented and I definitely see him in the NHL.
but we cannot censure him, who knows how we would react in this situation. from outside it always looks easy to try this step. not for everybody, NHL is the heaven....

torero
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Julien Sprunger

After the accident he had, he had the feeling during some time (hours) that he would not walk again. Apparently this had a trauma effect on him where he realized real values in life and that being healthy and staying with people he loved meant more than any type of success.

I understood that he was happy in Switzerland surrounded by his family, and playing hockey in LNA. He is a star here !
in line with koh19's last comments.

Alain Berger

He really seems to be a North American hockey player. He is physical, has size, he fights and scores. I would give him a 70%. He also improved during this year, the pace of points he scored accelerated toward the end of his playing period... he was nominated best player of the week in his last week before heading for the WJC. I have a very good feeling for him.

Tobias Stephan

i would give him more than 10% ... because fundamentaly he is a very good goalie. He was unlucky with the Stars and with Tipett. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back their, specially if he has the opportunity to show what he can do in a WC. Gerber also played in NA, came back to Europe and went back to NA. He still has the possibility to head for Sweden, KHL ... and then NHL. A 30% would be reasonable.

Yannick Weber

I know he is good and he is a hell of a sniper and has a great vision and ... but he is small and doesn't seem to grab the real opportunities on NHL. It remains me a bit of Tim Ramholt who was a real reference in AHL, and when he received the opportunity to play in NHL, he was sacked in a matter of seconds after having allowed for a goal. He doesn't seem to be better when you have to be better ! that is an important feature of good players. Some choke under pressure while others blossom under pressure. I would therefore attribute a lower chance than 80%. Maybe 60%.

Marin Gerber

I wouldn't be surpised to see him accept a 1B goalie position in the NHL. Therefore increasing the odds of seeing him again in the best league. I imagine he learned some things with the recent accident he had with the Atlant in KHL. He is famous for having a very good working ethic and as an excellent goalie who has problems dealing with the starting position. In other words and excellent backup goalie paired with a young goalie. i would give him a 40% chance.

swissexpert
01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
IMO, weber is also not a lock for top 4 Dmen, but the fans and also the canadiens staff shows some trust on him by call him up to montreal before PK Subban, who picks up better numbers with the bulldogs.

for the goalies: my % number was the chance of being a starting goalie, that`s the reason no one except hiller is over 10%.

stephan does really well back home and isn`t too old to try it again. I see him over gerber, who isn`t among the best goalies in KHL and isn`t known as a playoff goalie in north america, so the #2 is the best he can dream of I think.

alain berger isn`t even drafted, right?
if he continues to play like he does in the OHL, I also see a chance for seeing him in NHL a day, but only a pizza-week doesn`t mean much ;)

stv11
01-13-2010, 03:52 AM
I'm not sure Sprunger could handle the physical play of the NHL, he's always been weak on his skates and easy to knock off the puck.

About Weber, I don't see any NHL caliber skill in him apart from his shot, he needs to improve in many areas before having a chance at cracking a top four. I don't rule it out, though, remember that Streit was a poor defensive player back when he was drafted.

torero
01-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Martin Gerber KHL Atlant Mytishi

Martin Gerber is looking for a new club. after his accident, the Atlant hired a new goalie who has better stats than Gerber. Since an KHL club can only hire 1 foreign goalie, they have to decide between Gerber and this other goalie (slovak; Jan Lasak).
Gerber has an unknown health condition while Lasak has better stats and is playing on his head. Odds are definitely against Gerber.

Poor Gerber ... he is really unlucky. He brings Carolina to the playoffs ..then he gets sick, then at Ottawa he dips into the hole while Emery is playing the games of his life, when this is sorted out, he starts playing well but the team slumps, finally he plays awfully as well, he is sent to the AHL(Binghampton), Then he gets a chance at Toronto where he plays quite well taking into account the team (stats above 90%). They don't keep him (they should have ! instead of Toskala) and now this in Atlant.

I always liked him and always felt that he could have belonged to the ten best goalies in NHL. (maybe i was a bit biased !). I know that he wasn't playing at best in the KHL, with a 91.4% and 2.19 GAA he ranks 14 in the %saved.
http://www.khl.ru/stat/leaders/167/sv_pct/ in cyrilic Gerber Martin = Гербер Мартин
I really wish him good luck and to finally be somewhere where he can help to the level of his potential ! It simply seems that stars are not always in his favor.

GoGerberGo

torero
01-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Daniel Steiner

(now 9 games 10 points in AHL) After having seen Rochester Americans vs Hamilton (2 assists and 1 goal in SO + the other goalie stole 2 goals to Steiner), i must say that i am surprised by how he is evolving and adapting. He simply seems to adjust to the game and while he doesn't display an impressive technical repertoire, he simply seems to be on the right place on the right time, seems to put his stick in the right moment to steal a puck, seems to make simple smart passes, makes very few mistakes and outworks many mates ... he has something very efficient in what he does. In fact he could be a story like Sexton/ANA. Sexton also played in ECHL, than AHL and finaly in NHL ... in the same year and he scores with the Ducks. Sexton is not impressive, you see Getzlaf doing fancy moves ... Sexton does none of that, simple moves but ... he scores and assists ! (like Getzlaf, actually less!). I would be mildly surprised to see Steiner called up into the NHL and start scoring or assisting in the same way. Therefore i would assign him a 40% chances to play in NHL. Because he surprises me in the adaptation and the cleverness of his game that translates efficiently into points.

koh19
01-28-2010, 08:58 AM
I watched last night's game between the Norfolk Admirals and the Hartford Wolf Pack where there was a swiss match up, Simek vs. Ambuhl. Norfolk won the game 5-4, both players got an assist.

To me, although Ambuhl hasn't had many points this year, he was the best player out there. Now, I'm not even being biased, even if the guy was portugese I'd notice it. (I've got nothing against portugese lol). He played on the top line with Crowder and Owens. Their line was constantly creating chances, making nice plays, cycling the puck. Ambuhl was hitting everything in sight, finishing his checks everytime. He was the most energetic, speedy, gritty, agile player out there. He was all over, skating hard, making good plays, being physical. I can't really tell if it's his teammates that are the problem (they perhaps play a slightly different style of game) or something else.

If he can find the right teammates (or team), I'm sure he can start lighting it up. He's got all the tools necessary. Again, to me, he was the best player out there (for both teams).

smitty10
01-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Daniel Steiner

(now 9 games 10 points in AHL) After having seen Rochester Americans vs Hamilton (2 assists and 1 goal in SO + the other goalie stole 2 goals to Steiner), i must say that i am surprised by how he is evolving and adapting. He simply seems to adjust to the game and while he doesn't display an impressive technical repertoire, he simply seems to be on the right place on the right time, seems to put his stick in the right moment to steal a puck, seems to make simple smart passes, makes very few mistakes and outworks many mates ... he has something very efficient in what he does. In fact he could be a story like Sexton/ANA. Sexton also played in ECHL, than AHL and finaly in NHL ... in the same year and he scores with the Ducks. Sexton is not impressive, you see Getzlaf doing fancy moves ... Sexton does none of that, simple moves but ... he scores and assists ! (like Getzlaf, actually less!). I would be mildly surprised to see Steiner called up into the NHL and start scoring or assisting in the same way. Therefore i would assign him a 40% chances to play in NHL. Because he surprises me in the adaptation and the cleverness of his game that translates efficiently into points.

I can't see Steiner being called up at all this year, honestly. I would change those chances to 5%. He doesn't have an NHL contract, which is a pretty big road block, and many teams would rather call up a prospect than give a 29 year old a shot at the big time. I just don't see it happening this year. If he sticks around and has a strong camp next year I can see him being signed and being 13th forward or a top call-up.

You also have to realize that the Steiner situation and the Sexton situation are complately different. Sexton is only 22 or 23 years old and is in his first professional season. Steiner is 29 and has played in many seasons overseas. I understand why you're being optimistic, but I'm just being realistic. He is going to have a very tough time making it to the NHL this season and I just don't see it happening. Maybe if he sticks around another year or 2 he will though.

torero
01-28-2010, 06:54 PM
I can't see Steiner being called up at all this year, honestly. I would change those chances to 5%. He doesn't have an NHL contract, which is a pretty big road block, and many teams would rather call up a prospect than give a 29 year old a shot at the big time. I just don't see it happening this year. If he sticks around and has a strong camp next year I can see him being signed and being 13th forward or a top call-up.

You also have to realize that the Steiner situation and the Sexton situation are complately different. Sexton is only 22 or 23 years old and is in his first professional season. Steiner is 29 and has played in many seasons overseas. I understand why you're being optimistic, but I'm just being realistic. He is going to have a very tough time making it to the NHL this season and I just don't see it happening. Maybe if he sticks around another year or 2 he will though.

You are right, Rochester gave him a Rochester only contract apparently. Therefore chances to see him in the NHL this year are very very slim. On top of that 29 years old seems to be a problem. (not for me as long as the player is evolving but I could understand on the online literature that it is so ... then ... so be it !)

My view is that he adjusted well to the North American game. He keeps adjusting ... he is changing now ... .His speed is average, technicity is also average ... but he seems to be smart and well positioned, Good passes ... The future will tell us ... maybe 40% i was a bit optimistic :) we have to be optimist in life no ?

If he gets let's say a 1.4 points per game ... he might get a 2 way contract next year.
then who know's ?

torero
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
I watched last night's game between the Norfolk Admirals and the Hartford Wolf Pack where there was a swiss match up, Simek vs. Ambuhl. Norfolk won the game 5-4, both players got an assist.

To me, although Ambuhl hasn't had many points this year, he was the best player out there. Now, I'm not even being biased, even if the guy was portugese I'd notice it. (I've got nothing against portugese lol). He played on the top line with Crowder and Owens. Their line was constantly creating chances, making nice plays, cycling the puck. Ambuhl was hitting everything in sight, finishing his checks everytime. He was the most energetic, speedy, gritty, agile player out there. He was all over, skating hard, making good plays, being physical. I can't really tell if it's his teammates that are the problem (they perhaps play a slightly different style of game) or something else.

If he can find the right teammates (or team), I'm sure he can start lighting it up. He's got all the tools necessary. Again, to me, he was the best player out there (for both teams).

Happy you could see a game with him. I have the same feeling about it (read my earlier posts). You may still have seen one of his good games ... some are depressive ... when he is with the last line ... nothing happens and he is with his good attitude alone ... the liners are lost with him ... he plays 2 classes above ... simply faster and smarter ... 1times out of 3 one of his mates would create an offside not understanding him ! little ice time. PFFFF ! i am impressed he didn't give up ! RESPECT !

Yet the boards don't agree with us !! for them he is lost ... for them he has talent but cannot translate it into anything. They are surprised he is still around ! and with the small scoring ... it gives them right !

Soooo frustrating. (ça me fout les boules !)

Hopefully he will find a good team/team that fits his skills. I am surprised his manager didn't try to find another AHL team.

smitty10
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Happy you could see a game with him. I have the same feeling about it (read my earlier posts). You may still have seen one of his good games ... some are depressive ... when he is with the last line ... nothing happens and he is with his good attitude alone ... the liners are lost with him ... he plays 2 classes above ... simply faster and smarter ... 1times out of 3 one of his mates would create an offside not understanding him ! little ice time. PFFFF ! i am impressed he didn't give up ! RESPECT !

Yet the boards don't agree with us !! for them he is lost ... for them he has talent but cannot translate it into anything. They are surprised he is still around ! and with the small scoring ... it gives them right !

Soooo frustrating. (ça me fout les boules !)

Hopefully he will find a good team/team that fits his skills. I am surprised his manager didn't try to find another AHL team.

He's on an NHL contract so thats why he's with Hartford (affiliate of NYR).

torero
01-29-2010, 04:50 PM
He's on an NHL contract so thats why he's with Hartford (affiliate of NYR).

This I understood. 1yr 2way contract.
In fact it seems that no one likes him in the organization. Tortorella never gave him a chance. It is Tort's choice ... . and in Hartford he doesn't seem to be valued neither. In other words no one in the organization won't let him go.
You agree that when a contract makes no sense for both parties ... their is always a way to fit everyone's best interest.

smitty10
01-29-2010, 04:56 PM
This I understood. 1yr 2way contract.
In fact it seems that no one likes him in the organization. Tortorella never gave him a chance. It is Tort's choice ... . and in Hartford he doesn't seem to be valued neither. In other words no one in the organization won't let him go.
You agree that when a contract makes no sense for both parties ... their is always a way to fit everyone's best interest.

I understand, but I think they are holding onto him for depth reasons. He's a guy they could call up and play on the 4th line and kill 8-10 minutes a game, without being a liability. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him called up at some point toward the end of the season.

He was however cut by the team in training camp because he is not better than anyone on their current roster. He's also a smaller guy who needed to get accustomed to playing North American style hockey before he should have even been considered being called up. I think he's starting to reach that point now and it would be great to see him play a few games as a Ranger.

torero
01-30-2010, 02:42 AM
I understand, but I think they are holding onto him for depth reasons. He's a guy they could call up and play on the 4th line and kill 8-10 minutes a game, without being a liability. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him called up at some point toward the end of the season.

He was however cut by the team in training camp because he is not better than anyone on their current roster. He's also a smaller guy who needed to get accustomed to playing North American style hockey before he should have even been considered being called up. I think he's starting to reach that point now and it would be great to see him play a few games as a Ranger.

Maybe ... May the NYR organization hear you ! :)

torero
01-30-2010, 03:02 AM
Steiner

The Amerks lost yesterday to the Albany River Rats 3 - 4.
1 goal, 1 assist and the 2nd star of the game for Steiner who again played soundly.
For who is interested in reading about Steiner more in details than on the HF Boards :
http://www.rochestersportsfan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Gerber

I felt interesting to note that since Atlant Mytishi has hired another goalie, Ian Laschak to replace recovering Gerber, who was threatened to see his contract closed due to the impossibility of a KHL team having 2 foreign goalies on their roster. (see previous post). The Orbital stats Lashak had came down to more normal levels. Presently they are for Gerber 91.4% saves and 2.17 average goal per game while Lashak has 90.2% saves with 2.74 GAA. Of course stats are one aspect of the game... i cannot share any comments on the game since i never saw one.

torero
01-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Hiller

was signed for a 4 years contract by the Ducks at a 4.5 mio salary a year until 2013/2014 season.

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=515558&navid=DL|ANA|home

It means that the Ducks will be spending over USD 10 mio a year for goaltending (Guigere 6 mio + Hiller 4.5 mio) which is too much for them. That means that Guigere will be in a deal in the coming days/weeks and that Hiller will be the starter officially after Guigere will be gone/exchanged for other players.

Congratulations Hiller.

interesting article praising Hiller :
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=515325

torero
02-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Hiller

is in an olympic form. He's been standing on his head in the last games.

I wish Krueger offers him a 4.5 mio until the next olympics ... because if he stays in the same shape, we are olympic champions ;)

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20092010,2,840

In my view he is ni better shape than he was in the last playoffs. My only point of worry is that he gives up more rebounds than i whish he would.

torero
03-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Daniel Steiner

In spite of having a decent scoring ratio, 20points in 27 games, Steiner was sent back to the Reading Royals in ECHL because The Rochester Americans had too many Veterans to be lined up. Therefore he was benched in the last games. And they took the smart decision to let him play in ECHL so as to be in good shape if ever he gets called up.

He is regretably too old to be on a list of potential players to be considered in NHL by the NHL scouts. Therefore he sees many players not having his level /efficiency being lined up while he remained on the bench.

In light of this, it was great to have found a team (Rochester Amerks) who took him, appreciated him and played with him. We have to remember that many of these AHL teams are farm teams with obligations to their NHL team, therefore they are not entirely free to play who they want the way they want.

hopefully it will be good for Steiner and he will be back in full shape when it most counts : Playoffs.

torero
05-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Roman Josi will be a Predator for the next three years. (or an Admiral ... AHL's farm team Milwaukee admirals)

Apparently Nashville made an offer to Josi ... who most probably will sign it.

http://slapshot.ch/slapshot-news.aspx?newsid=11104&navi=1

Roman Wick is also likely to play for the Senators ... (starting in AHL / Binghampton ... farm team) according to a local newspaper.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Senators+turn+attention+draft+talent/3031470/story.html

Robert Meyer won the MVP in co with the other goalie with The Cincinnati Cyclones when they won the Kelly cup.

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic.cgi?action=show_news2&cat=1&id=22225

We will see how many Swiss will scratch NHL ice next year.

i would expect : Streit, Hiller
Josi (to be seen if NHL or AHL), Sbisa (WHL, AHL or NHL), Wick (AHL or NHL), Weber (AHL or NHL) + surprises ... (Nino should stay in WHL or AHL) and Berger should also stay in OHL, Steiner (AHL certainly), i don't believe that Ambuhl will find an NHL team ... (AHL would have been possible but even after his good WC performances i do not see a team giving him a shot at NHL level ! sad but true! maybe thru a training camp .... but .... well who know's ?!) and Robert Meyer maybe in AHL ? ...

swissexpert
05-28-2010, 04:32 AM
I can see following Players begin the Season in training camps:

Hiller (100% chance of making the roster)
Streit (100%)
Sbisa (75%, depends on the Duck's D-situation)
Niederreiter (10% - 40%,depends on the team that drafts him)
Josi (30%, will Hamhuis resign, can Sulzer, Blum make the roster?)
Weber (20%, depends on retirings, resignings)
Simek (10%, was on the team until the last cut in last camp, this year he was even better in AHL)
Mayer (2%, they have better Goalies behind Halak, Price)
Wick (40%, if yes, he'll play top 6 forward!)
Ambühl (10%, maybe with better luck)
Deruns (10%)
Stephan (40%, if he'll be invited, I see him as a Back-Up)
Gerber (50%, like Stephan)

haha, 13 swiss players in the training camps, this would be awesome, but I don't see this happen :D

jonas2244
05-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Do Weber and Simek still have contracts?

Nino has only two possibilities, NHL or WHL, is not allowed to play AHL. Sbisa now can play AHL as he turned 20 but I really think he'll be a NHL-regular next season.

smitty10
05-28-2010, 08:24 AM
I can see following Players begin the Season in training camps:

Hiller (100% chance of making the roster)
Streit (100%)
Sbisa (75%, depends on the Duck's D-situation)
Niederreiter (10% - 40%,depends on the team that drafts him)
Josi (30%, will Hamhuis resign, can Sulzer, Blum make the roster?)
Weber (20%, depends on retirings, resignings)
Simek (10%, was on the team until the last cut in last camp, this year he was even better in AHL)
Mayer (2%, they have better Goalies behind Halak, Price)
Wick (40%, if yes, he'll play top 6 forward!)
Ambühl (10%, maybe with better luck)
Deruns (10%)
Stephan (40%, if he'll be invited, I see him as a Back-Up)
Gerber (50%, like Stephan)

haha, 13 swiss players in the training camps, this would be awesome, but I don't see this happen :D

Its impossible for all these guys to be in camps because many of them have contracts in other leagues.

Hiller, Streit, Josi, Weber, Niederreiter and Sbisa WILL all be at camp because they do/will have contracts or be part of an NHL team.

Not sure about Simek.

Wick and Gerber also do not have contracts next season and from what I've heard have spoken with teams (Wick has been offered a contract with Ottawa). The rest I'm pretty sure have a 0% chance because they have contracts in Europe, therefore cannot participate in camp.

torero
05-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Its impossible for all these guys to be in camps because many of them have contracts in other leagues.

Hiller, Streit, Josi, Weber, Niederreiter and Sbisa WILL all be at camp because they do/will have contracts or be part of an NHL team.

Not sure about Simek.

Wick and Gerber also do not have contracts next season and from what I've heard have spoken with teams (Wick has been offered a contract with Ottawa). The rest I'm pretty sure have a 0% chance because they have contracts in Europe, therefore cannot participate in camp.

Does that mean that, for example Ambuhl who has a contract in Switzerland with an NHL clause cannot go into a camp ?

if it is because of the time (NLA will have started when the camps will take place), then it will depend on the type of NHL clause that is in the contract between the player and his Swiss team.

am i correct ?

koh19
05-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Simek: I really hope this is the year Simek makes the Tampa Bay roster. With a new GM in Steve Yzerman (yay! my favorite player), I don't know how things are gonna go. He's been with the farm team for quite a few years now, was amongst the very last cuts last year and he had a very good season. I hope he finally makes it, IMO he deserves it.

Ambuhl: I really hope some NHL team gives him another chance. He had an awesome WC. I have the feeling that the New york organiszation wasn't a good place for him (and for these kind of free agents for that matter) I predict Zuccharello's gonna follow the same kind of path as Ambuhl, not that I hope he does but I just can't see him making the team out of training camp.

Stephan: This guy should be able to get a back up spot somewhere, he's capable of it.

Gerber: I see Gerbs back in the NHL, maybe St-Louis (Murray with Team switzerland...)

Wick: I'm glad he's willing to give it a shot, even if it means playing in the AHL a little. I think Ottawa is the perfect fit for him. I see him getting a similar role and playing time that Regin got last year.

smitty10
05-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Does that mean that, for example Ambuhl who has a contract in Switzerland with an NHL clause cannot go into a camp ?

if it is because of the time (NLA will have started when the camps will take place), then it will depend on the type of NHL clause that is in the contract between the player and his Swiss team.

am i correct ?

No, if a player has a valid contract in another league they cannot attend training camp for an NHL team. For example: last season Dan Steiner had to buy himself out of his Swiss contract in order to attend the Blue Jackets camp, which he was cut from.

No matter the clause, the player cannot opt out of a contract for training camp and then go back to their previous team if they don't make the NHL. The only people that can do that are Swede's that are under 22 and not first round picks (New option between SEL and NHL).

Simek: I really hope this is the year Simek makes the Tampa Bay roster. With a new GM in Steve Yzerman (yay! my favorite player), I don't know how things are gonna go. He's been with the farm team for quite a few years now, was amongst the very last cuts last year and he had a very good season. I hope he finally makes it, IMO he deserves it.

Ambuhl: I really hope some NHL team gives him another chance. He had an awesome WC. I have the feeling that the New york organiszation wasn't a good place for him (and for these kind of free agents for that matter) I predict Zuccharello's gonna follow the same kind of path as Ambuhl, not that I hope he does but I just can't see him making the team out of training camp.

Stephan: This guy should be able to get a back up spot somewhere, he's capable of it.

Gerber: I see Gerbs back in the NHL, maybe St-Louis (Murray with Team switzerland...)

Wick: I'm glad he's willing to give it a shot, even if it means playing in the AHL a little. I think Ottawa is the perfect fit for him. I see him getting a similar role and playing time that Regin got last year.

I can't see Ambuhl coming back. He gave it a shot and was unsuccessful and same goes for Stephan. Stephan is a good goalie, but Dallas F-ed him and I doubt he will come back.

jonas2244
05-28-2010, 06:50 PM
I also think Ambühl will play in Switzerland for the next few years. He had his chance this year and was not able to use it.

Stephan I could see getting another shot in the NHL. Not this year, perhaps, he'd need another one or two very strong seasons in Switzerland and maybe an #1-job at the World-Championship. He's just 26 and there are several examples of goalies who joined an NHL-team later than that. And he's a very talented guy and is capable of playing in the NHL.

Wick still has a contract with Kloten, but he'll be able to kick it if he's offered one from Ottawa which seems to be the case.

Oh, and to answer my question. Weber has still a contract for another year, Simek is out of contract with Tampa and RFA.

MB94
05-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I am a Tobias Stephan fan ever since the Stars drafted him and I followed him from then to present. He had great potential and the Stars (my favorite team since 02) screwed Tobi over. After a very solid season with Geneve going all the way to the finals and having a .930SV% in 53 regular season games do you guys think a team will give him a chance? I really hope so because I know he is NHL material after the way he played against Canada and this year in the swiss league. He is capable of playing as a backup if he is giving about 20 games.

torero
05-29-2010, 04:05 AM
I can't see Ambuhl coming back. He gave it a shot and was unsuccessful and same goes for Stephan. Stephan is a good goalie, but Dallas F-ed him and I doubt he will come back.

I also think Ambühl will play in Switzerland for the next few years. He had his chance this year and was not able to use it.

For both, it is a pitty they didn't explore the international arena ex NHL ! Some years in Sweden or in Russia can't be that bad !

To find a woman, discover a new country, learn a new language, more seriously to play in another league, have a leading role in a foreign organisation (their is a french say : on n'est pas prophète en son pays ! meaning that it is difficult to rise above the crowd when you are in your own country)

I wonder if their commercials are enough open to the world ?

Uncle Sam
05-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Hiller!

smitty10
05-29-2010, 10:27 PM
I am a Tobias Stephan fan ever since the Stars drafted him and I followed him from then to present. He had great potential and the Stars (my favorite team since 02) screwed Tobi over. After a very solid season with Geneve going all the way to the finals and having a .930SV% in 53 regular season games do you guys think a team will give him a chance? I really hope so because I know he is NHL material after the way he played against Canada and this year in the swiss league. He is capable of playing as a backup if he is giving about 20 games.

There are plenty of guys who play in the AHL that could easily fill that position though. Its a better option for a NHL team to bring up a 23 year old from the AHL that will only require 500k per season than bring in a 26 year old from Europe that will demand much more than that.

legion681*
05-31-2010, 07:01 AM
There are plenty of guys who play in the AHL that could easily fill that position though. Its a better option for a NHL team to bring up a 23 year old from the AHL that will only require 500k per season than bring in a 26 year old from Europe that will demand much more than that.

Stephan has a bit more experience than a 23 years old from the AHL and also wouldn't you want, as a backup at least, a netminder that was able to beat Canada at the WC (which is way tougher than say for example beating the Providence Bruins)? ;)