Khabibulin

Rschmitz
02-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Looked horrible tonight. Almost every significant scoring oppurtunity the Blues had they capatalized on.

jstreim
02-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Looked horrible tonight. Almost every significant scoring oppurtunity the Blues had they capatalized on.

Not exactly every one. There was a play where Khabibulin was caught way out of his net once and Sydor bailed him out. Back to the point at hand, he didn't play at all well. On the Salvador break, he was way back in his net. Why didn't he challenge him when all of his passing lanes were clearly blocked? Eh, a point is a point, and I must say that they were lucky that the Blues didn't capitalize on ALL of their chances ;) .

joeminus
02-20-2004, 01:13 AM
Khabibulin was huge in the first. He also made a stop on a breakaway. I'm not saying he looked great (he looked very mediocre), but you can't honestly say St. Louis scored on all their chances. Terrible third period by the skaters in front of him, too.

Shappa
02-20-2004, 04:43 AM
From my first and only glimpse of the game, I would blame 2 of the four goals on him. That said, I think he played average (not great, not terrible) and wasn't up to expectation.

It seems as though he's been on a bit of a decline this year, possibly from a contending second goalie, or possibly from trade speculation + overall decline in his career.

It's going to be very interesting to see who starts game one of the playoffs, Nik has been our franchise goalie and all, but at this time it may be Graheme's to lose.

Oceanic39*
02-20-2004, 11:39 AM
I agree with Joe. I even said to myself during the first that 'Khabi looks on tonight.'

Maybe I jinxed him.

3rd period meltdown.

Some unfortunate plays in front of him, yes, but you can't let a 1-goal dman who has no where to shoot but 5-hole beat you. Also, his rebound control was off and on all night. Off on the last one. He usually sucks those into his belly. I can only think of one he cradled into his belly.

Frustrating. Both Grahame and Khabi have been letting in mediocre goals lately. Not good, because sooner or later our offensive explosion will end and we'll need one of them to steal some games.

The more mediocre they play, the more the offense gets pulled back, too.

petec1978*
02-20-2004, 01:22 PM
I wonder if he is having some personal problems at home... its not physical, its mental.

-Pete Choquette

Flycoon*
02-20-2004, 02:17 PM
I wonder if he is having some personal problems at home... its not physical, its mental.

-Pete Choquette

That would be my guess. The recent spate of softies shows a lack of concentration.

Rschmitz
02-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Naw, not all their chances; it just seemed that way in the third. He did play good in the first, but the softies overshadowed his good saves. If Sydor isn't behind him, your looking at 5 goals in under 30 shots(assuming OT goal); thats horrible IMO...by Bulin standards of course. I read in the paper today and it looks like Khabi knows it too, maybe he'll pull a Vinny and rediscover his game? :bow:

Timmy1973
02-20-2004, 04:42 PM
From the Dingman/Low fight onwards, the Blues were playing with energy and took control of the game. It if weren't for a lapse in their zone which Kubina scored on, we wouldn't have gotten a point last night. Someone brought up the Salvador goal. Maybe if Sarich wouldn't have gone for the big hit, on Drake I believe, and Cullimore wasn't caught out of position up at the red line, Salvador doesn't break in alone and score that goal. Perhaps too if Modin scores on his short handed break-away we would have won. I don't see anyone whining at these players. Quit blaming Nikolai. It's not all his fault. You win, tie and lose as a team.

petec1978*
02-20-2004, 05:02 PM
I agree Timmy. I thought they looked a little flat all game long. I'd like to add one caveat though: the puck that went in off of Stillman's belly/arm in the 1st was a goal. No question in my mind.

-Pete Choquette

Sotnos
02-21-2004, 09:36 AM
I agree with Joe. I even said to myself during the first that 'Khabi looks on tonight.'
I did too. Funny how he's usually pretty predictable, if he makes a few awesome saves in the 1st, I usually think it's a "good" night and he'll be on for the whole game, because that's how he usually operates. After seeing Grahame's performance last night, I'd say they both look a bit off, but Khabi gets ragged on more. :D

the puck that went in off of Stillman's belly/arm in the 1st was a goal. No question in my mind.
Yup. Stillman didn't move a muscle, he didn't throw the puck in, I thought incidental contact was OK?

Rschmitz
02-22-2004, 12:14 AM
Grahame sucked last night too. Both our goalies are off. I don't really mean they suck, they just are coming back down to Earth. Hell, I don't care as long as they shake it off come the playoffs...like a reversal effect from last year with Khabi hot and cooling down..

Hawkeye
02-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Maybe if Sarich wouldn't have gone for the big hit, on Drake I believe, and Cullimore wasn't caught out of position up at the red line, Salvador doesn't break in alone and score that goal.

I put more blame on Cory than Culli being out of position. Cory has to know where his partner is before trying to take a big hit and possibly take himself out of the play.