André Lysenstřen

jharrison1991
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Does anyone know how good goalie André Lysenstřen is? I know hes young(turning 20 this year) and he's a talk at 6'4 and almost 250 pounds. Does he have the potential to come to north america to play? If so, what level? ECHL? AHL? lower? Thanks for any help!!

PanniniClaus
08-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Watching Lysenstoen practice many days in a row and play two games I can say I have never seen a bigger goalie take up so little net. He has to make major strides in many areas just to be playing some form of pro hockey at 25 years of age.If he does not improve his positioning he is in trouble. If he stays Medvedevish in size he'll be unable to physically do more than beer league by the age of 25.

David Brent
08-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Watching Lysenstoen practice many days in a row and play two games I can say I have never seen a bigger goalie take up so little net. He has to make major strides in many areas just to be playing some form of pro hockey at 25 years of age.If he does not improve his positioning he is in trouble. If he stays Medvedevish in size he'll be unable to physically do more than beer league by the age of 25.

Well, I do agree that Lysenstřen needs to improve his net coverage, but overall he's actually pretty solid. He's competing for the position as Norway's starter(a team that reached the quarterfinals in this years WC), and he has also lost alot of weight. His agility is great for such a big guy, and his puckhandling is improving. At the moment he's the starting goalie for Stavanger Oilers of the Norwegian elite league, a top 3 team. You might see that as beer league-ish, but the league is a kind of a feeder-league for the SEL.

Trained by a Finn, he's almost destined to make improvements, and if that happens, the SEL is not far away.

I'll continue to update on his development as the NEL gets going.

jharrison1991
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you both!! I know not too long ago he was with a Finnish team, for a try out or for training camp I think. He told me that he wants to lose quite a bit of weight. And thanks for being able to update on his status as the season gets going!!

Seksen
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
I find it very hard to spot immediate talent amongst a certain group of goalies. I mean, if they are either NHL material or 3rd string Beer league material, its one thing. But somewhere in between, there is another group, containing "this could go either way" goalies. I think Lysen is in this group. He will be a top goalie in the norwegian league, no doubt about that, the question is if its good enough for a higher level (SEL, SM-Liiga etc.) He has got the potential, but will it be fullfilled? He took huge steps this previous season, hopefully he`ll take new ones this year. I am so looking forward to mid September!!!!!!!! :handclap:

Redwingsfan
08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Thank you both!! I know not too long ago he was with a Finnish team, for a try out or for training camp I think. He told me that he wants to lose quite a bit of weight. And thanks for being able to update on his status as the season gets going!!

Yeah, he was on a try-out with Espoo Blues..

anyway, to be honest, I dont see a lot of potential in him.. He will probably be a good goalie in the Norwegian league, but thats it.. I just dont think he has what it takes to improve his game enough to play on a higher level..

And that finnish goalie coach he works with isnt very good btw..

PanniniClaus
08-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Well, I do agree that Lysenstřen needs to improve his net coverage, but overall he's actually pretty solid. He's competing for the position as Norway's starter(a team that reached the quarterfinals in this years WC), and he has also lost alot of weight. His agility is great for such a big guy, and his puckhandling is improving. At the moment he's the starting goalie for Stavanger Oilers of the Norwegian elite league, a top 3 team. You might see that as beer league-ish, but the league is a kind of a feeder-league for the SEL.

Trained by a Finn, he's almost destined to make improvements, and if that happens, the SEL is not far away.

I'll continue to update on his development as the NEL gets going.

I do not see the Norweigan league as a beer league. The Norweigans would have been relegated if they left him in the net. Thankfully they got him out after he gifted Slovakia a win and then Norway got their game in order. Once Grotnes started stopping some pucks it gave a very over worked D corp some confidence.

I was appalled at how fat he was looking at him in street clothes. Professional players should not look like this and I can assure you not many keep playing looking like this.

He needs some discipline and dedication to himself first and then to his craft.

David Brent
08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
And that finnish goalie coach he works with isnt very good btw..

May I ask you what your opinion on Sam Liebkind is based on?
Lysenstřen has improved his game quite dramatically over the time he has spent under Sam's guidance.

He has a very good track record for a guy his age.

Redwingsfan
08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
May I ask you what your opinion on Sam Liebkind is based on?
Lysenstřen has improved his game quite dramatically over the time he has spent under Sam's guidance.

He has a very good track record for a guy his age.

I have been to one of his camps in Hamar.. I'm glad my clup paid for it, because it was just a big waste of money.. His trying to teach the goalies a very....untraditional goalie style..

David Brent
08-17-2008, 04:01 AM
I have been to one of his camps in Hamar.. I'm glad my clup paid for it, because it was just a big waste of money.. His trying to teach the goalies a very....untraditional goalie style..

So untraditional is the same as bad? Tell that to Felix Potvin...

Sam Liebkind helped Kari Rämö reach the NHL, and I assume he's got some kind of knowledge to pass on. To me, that's worth more than a single comment from a young(?) goaltender unhappy with Sam's tutoring.

Redwingsfan
08-17-2008, 05:32 PM
So untraditional is the same as bad? Tell that to Felix Potvin...

Sam Liebkind helped Kari Rämö reach the NHL, and I assume he's got some kind of knowledge to pass on. To me, that's worth more than a single comment from a young(?) goaltender unhappy with Sam's tutoring.

I'm not the only one who doesnt like his ways.. but unfortunately, he is the only available option in Norway with at least some kind of knowledge... He sure beats the hell out of Torbjřrn Orskaug.. :rolleyes:

Untraditional isnt always bad, if you know how to use it.. But he tries to change the goalies style completely, which isnt smart.. If you already play the style he tries to teach, then sure, he can be good, but if you are a butterfly goalie (like most young goalies today are), its pointless to waste your time going to his camps...

Some of the young goalies that goes to his camps during the summer does it just to get some ice-time..

jharrison1991
01-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know about his progress?

David Brent
02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
http://pointstreak.com/prostats/goalieleaders.html?leagueid=645&seasonid=3005

SirKillalot
02-14-2009, 03:22 PM
As you see, Ruben Smith is the best goalie in Norway. And I really hope he is in the net in next years olympics. Unfortunately I think our national coach still adores Grotnes...

rcduthie77
04-24-2009, 07:07 PM
What Ruben Smith did this season was very impressive as he put up better numbers then Pal Grotnes on a team that finished just 1 point better. However I am still partial to Pal Grotnes personally, he was magnificent for much of last year's WHC but I definatly think he and Smith will be in a battle for the starters role.

Granted Lysenstoen had better stats then both his team also finished 20 points better and was a better all around team so from the way I understand it he did not have as much work as Grotnes or Smith.

After seeing Lysenstoen fall on his rear-end for us at last year's WHC I'd be very hesitant to give him another shot so quickly but with his size if he looses some weight and improves mobility he could be a very good goalie. He's still young which works in his favour and has time to learn but as for right now I'll go with Grotnes and Smith.

SirKillalot
04-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Actually Grotnes's team finished 9 points ahead of Smith's team. But the lost 10 points because of financial troubles.

And, last year Storhamar had better players, won the norwegian "Stanley Cup" and Ruben Smith got the norwegian "Conn Smythe" trophy.

And this year:

Smith 4 SO (3rd)
Grotnes 1 SO (8th with several others)

Smith 74 GA (Best among 30+ games goalies)
Grotnes 102 GA (only beat all the crap teams)

Smith 92,2 sv% (2rd in the league behind DesRochers)
Grotnes 90,6 sv% (6th.place)

Smith 2,34 GAA(beat by top three teams only) - Storhamar finished "6th".
Grotnes 2,95 GAA (7th out of 10)

rcduthie77
04-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Actually Grotnes's team finished 9 points ahead of Smith's team. But the lost 10 points because of financial troubles.

And, last year Storhamar had better players, won the norwegian "Stanley Cup" and Ruben Smith got the norwegian "Conn Smythe" trophy.

And this year:

Smith 4 SO (3rd)
Grotnes 1 SO (8th with several others)

Smith 74 GA (Best among 30+ games goalies)
Grotnes 102 GA (only beat all the crap teams)

Smith 92,2 sv% (2rd in the league behind DesRochers)
Grotnes 90,6 sv% (6th.place)

Smith 2,34 GAA(beat by top three teams only) - Storhamar finished "6th".
Grotnes 2,95 GAA (7th out of 10)

Once again I defer judgement to a poster from Norway:laugh: Thanks for the stats as I wasn't aware of some of that. Especailly the points thing.

Clearly by these stats Ruben Smith has surpassed Pal Grotnes and in the GDT for today's game I mentioned that even though Grotnes isn't at fault for today's game that we will most likely see Ruben Smith for the next one.

zecke26
04-25-2009, 01:56 PM
grotnes rules!

last year after his stellar performance against canada, a few threads popped up everywhere on hfboards where canadians asked about him and when he will sign with a NHL team. :laugh:

rcduthie77
04-25-2009, 02:19 PM
grotnes rules!

last year after his stellar performance against canada, a few threads popped up everywhere on hfboards where canadians asked about him and when he will sign with a NHL team. :laugh:

:laugh: Well he did look extremely good against Canada but NHL jeez that would be a mighty big jump.

What I don't understand is why he remained in Norway this season, after his stellar performance last year why did he not move to the DEL or Allsvenskan or even the SEL? There had to be teams in those 3 leagues looking for a good veteran netminder.

SirKillalot
04-26-2009, 04:22 AM
Maybe europe knew that he ain't that good;)

HalbertGil*
04-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Where was he this season? :help:

SirKillalot
04-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Where was he this season? :help:

Lysenstřen?

He had to retire because of an returning injury. Back-problems.

babyshamble
05-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Lysenstřen had to retire because of a knee-injury. He has started to take some coaching certificates and is now going for a career as a goalie coach. He is a great guy and it sucks that he had to give up on his dream so early. At least he got to play in the olympics.

SirKillalot
05-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Ah, was it knee-problems. My bad memory then.

Hopefully, he might be a good coach.

babyshamble
05-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Ah, was it knee-problems. My bad memory then.

Hopefully, he might be a good coach.

Yep knee-problems.

I think he can become a successful coach. There is not many people in Norway with the same knowledge and love for the game as he has. He is a total hockey-guy and thats why i feel really bad for him that he had to quit playing at that age.