Jonathan Boutin

4shelley4
02-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Hey, I'm a habs fan but if they were ever blown off this planet I would instantly jump on with the Lightning. Anyways I think the bolts should trade Jonathan Boutin while he still has good prospect status cause from watching him play with the Mooseheads and the Rocket this year, he's sinking... He's being out played by 16 year old Ryan Mior. What does everyone eles feel on this.

petec1978*
02-21-2004, 06:05 PM
I feel its a good thing goalies don't hit their prime until a decade after 18-19 years old. He's got the tools.

-Pete Choquette

4shelley4
02-21-2004, 09:52 PM
You have to admit though that Brian Eklund is more in the Lightnings plans.

Carbonneau
02-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Boutin was a wasted pick that high, TB could have still drafted him in the 4th rd.

He was beat out of the starting job in Halifax by Churchill

Sorry, but Boutin is over rated, but he'll be a good minor league goalie

Sotnos
02-21-2004, 10:49 PM
You have to admit though that Brian Eklund is more in the Lightnings plans.
Eklund's 23 years old and he's signed already, so sure he's closer to contributing something to the team, but Boutin's a KID, I don't see why we'd give up on him yet.

I saw him in training camp down here, he has the skills, you have to have some patience with goalie prospects. :)

Rschmitz
02-21-2004, 11:27 PM
you have to have some patience with goalie prospects. :)

ya, like Evgeni Konstantinov :p

petec1978*
02-22-2004, 03:47 PM
TB could have still drafted him in the 4th rd.

If they had a 4th round pick, which they didn't.

-Pete Choquette

Carbonneau
02-22-2004, 07:10 PM
He was projected as a 4th rd pick, that is why I said it.

petec1978*
02-22-2004, 08:24 PM
And they took him with a late 3rd because they didn't have a 4th.

-Pete Choquette

Carbonneau
02-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Still picked too high, but thanks for the banter

joeminus
02-23-2004, 05:28 AM

Filled an organizational need with the BPA at the time. But thanks for your input.

Rschmitz
02-23-2004, 10:55 PM

Argueing over whether Boutin should have been a late 3rd or an early 4th is mute. Anyone who follows the draft will probably tell you that a goalie's selection in the draft is the hardest to determine out of all the positions. Bottom line is Feaster filled a need position in the 3rd round without risking a trade and missing out entirely. I am satisfied with that

SwisshockeyAcademy
02-24-2004, 12:48 AM
I've seen Boutin plenty of times and threw a tantrum when he went ahead of Ehelechner. He is mentally weak and prone to multiple soft goals. He will need a terrific psychologist and a change in attitude to get anything more than a second look. He is closer to playing for UPEI than he is the NHL right now. I do not normally get too carried away when it comes to young players but this is a case worth mentioning. Boutin was one of the worst goaltenders to ever put on a Moose jerseyfor any length of time.

Carbonneau
02-24-2004, 01:05 AM
Boutin was beaten out of his starting job in Halifax twice.

petec1978*
02-24-2004, 07:46 AM
He is mentally weak

And most reach full maturity mentally and emotionally at age 20, studies have shown.

I think its asinine to crucify a 19 year old goaltender. Seriously, its dumb. He's a decade away from his prime. Let him grow up.

-Pete Choquette

Kevin Forbes
02-24-2004, 08:13 AM
On a side note, I would be concerned about his headaches. He missed a large number of games in Halifax with concussion like symptons, and as far as I know, the problem was never fully resolved.

SwisshockeyAcademy
02-25-2004, 12:22 AM
And most reach full maturity mentally and emotionally at age 20, studies have shown.

I think its asinine to crucify a 19 year old goaltender. Seriously, its dumb. He's a decade away from his prime. Let him grow up.

-Pete Choquette
Personal attacks aside, his prime will have him playing in the Quebec Senior League, i am not a troll but i know a really bad goaltender when i see one. He will need the goaltending coach equivalent of Dr James Andrews ( the top ligament replacement surgeon) to improve his technique in the net and Dr. Phil to straighten his mental resolve. I've seen many of your classic arguments with others Pete from afar and have often agreed with you. If you were the omnipotent source of hockey knowledge you would be a little further on than the hockey's futures board- and maybe some day you will be further on. I am standing by my assessment of Boutin and if i'm wrong these boards are the furthest i'll be going in the hockey world so you can call me assinine and dumb then.

SwisshockeyAcademy
02-25-2004, 03:21 AM
I am actually not that proud of my above post as i know sometimes family and friends of these players read posts or post here. There is a tendency to forget they are real people. I'm sure Boutin is a decent kid but i'm not fond of his goaltending. Maybe he proves me wrong. It is not my place to bash a kid so harshly. I'll save that for Pat Quinn.

petec1978*
02-25-2004, 08:08 AM
He will need the goaltending coach equivalent of Dr James Andrews ( the top ligament replacement surgeon) to improve his technique

And that is where your argument falls apart, in my opinion. Boutin may very well be the most technically sound goaltender the Lightning have ever drafted. I, along with others here who watched him when he was in Tampa, know just how good this guy is mechanically. Gerald Coleman, who is something like 3rd in the OHL in GAA, looked like a mess in drills side to side against him.

Jonathan's problem is not technical, its mental, which was the jist of your original critique of his game. I found that to be spot on, with the caveat that at 19 years old he's not supposed to be the most mature and focused because he, for all intents and purposes, is still a kid.

In bridging over into this second argument though, I think you exposed that you may have something personal against this young man in that you are inventing negatives to heap upon him to try and buttress your position.

And, for the record, I called your characterization of a 19 year old as "mentally weak" asinine, not you personally. I don't feel its fair to beat up on teenagers like that, although it happens on these boards on HF all the time.

-Pete Choquette

SwisshockeyAcademy
02-25-2004, 04:20 PM
I agree Pete in that he would be more technically sound than Coleman. He is as i like to say "Quebec pretty". My problem with him is the fact that pucks seem to get through him which means to me that he does not have his stick in the right place, his five hole not tightened up or his arms tucked in properly to prevent pucks from squeaking through. All things that could probably be improved but something is missing in his approach to the game. It is not personal but Boutin was my measuring stick last year. I wanted to see just how many good goaltenders would be passed over for him. Ehelechner was someone i was pumping up and felt so many teams missed the boat by letting him go. I think Russo is much better albeit he is 20.
I would say the Lightning will have some interest in seeing how the playoff run goes. PEI are expected to do very well, will it be Mior or Boutin?

Erack82
02-25-2004, 04:24 PM
And that is where your argument falls apart, in my opinion. Boutin may very well be the most technically sound goaltender the Lightning have ever drafted. I, along with others here who watched him when he was in Tampa, know just how good this guy is mechanically. Gerald Coleman, who is something like 3rd in the OHL in GAA, looked like a mess in drills side to side against him.

Jonathan's problem is not technical, its mental, which was the jist of your original critique of his game. I found that to be spot on, with the caveat that at 19 years old he's not supposed to be the most mature and focused because he, for all intents and purposes, is still a kid.

In bridging over into this second argument though, I think you exposed that you may have something personal against this young man in that you are inventing negatives to heap upon him to try and buttress your position.

And, for the record, I called your characterization of a 19 year old as "mentally weak" asinine, not you personally. I don't feel its fair to beat up on teenagers like that, although it happens on these boards on HF all the time.

-Pete Choquette

Well when I was in Traverse City watching him he was one of the more technical goalies out there. He had a solid tournement and even if he doesn't pan out, I'll be happy with the fact that the Lightning took a chance on a QMJHL goalie.

Rschmitz
02-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Isn't the QMJHL a spawning grounds for scorers anyways? Maybe getting laced by so many goals a night shatters confidence? I'd think so

petec1978*
02-25-2004, 04:54 PM
My problem with him is the fact that pucks seem to get through him which means to me that he does not have his stick in the right place,

That's more lack of concentration than being out of position though, don't you agree? My only real big technical critique of Boutin from what I've seen is that he needs to come out and challenege shooters more. He isn't so big like a Coleman that he can sit deep in his crease like he is prone to do at times.

TBFan... as an excercise in fun, count the number of starting goaltenders in the league that come from Quebec. Divide by the province's population. Then do the same for Russia, and draw your own conclusions. I think you'll find the outcome illuminating.

-Pete Choquette

Rschmitz
02-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Quebec:15:15,000,000 = 1,000,000

Russia: 1:200,000,000 = 200,000,000

Russia wins :p

Yes, obviously by facing higher competition they improve. Didn't Roy come out of the Q?

SwisshockeyAcademy
02-29-2004, 05:44 AM
That's more lack of concentration than being out of position though, don't you agree? My only real big technical critique of Boutin from what I've seen is that he needs to come out and challenege shooters more. He isn't so big like a Coleman that he can sit deep in his crease like he is prone to do at times.

TBFan... as an excercise in fun, count the number of starting goaltenders in the league that come from Quebec. Divide by the province's population. Then do the same for Russia, and draw your own conclusions. I think you'll find the outcome illuminating.

-Pete Choquette
I agree that is probably more of a lack of concentration than a technical problem.