More Talented: Dave Grohl vs Corey Taylor

Fish on The Sand
12-15-2008, 01:17 AM
I figure that Grohl will win this due to his musicianship, however songwriting has to goto Taylor hands down and I really do think he is the better singer. Grohl can scream like nobody else, but Taylor has the ability to convey emotion in his songs which gives him a far more impressive range.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod
12-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Who the hell is Corey Taylor?

StrangeVision
12-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Who the hell is Corey Taylor?

A quick google search reveals him to be the lead singer of Slipknot. As such, Dave Grohl wins by default.

Gunnar Stahl 30
12-15-2008, 01:22 AM
more talented is easyily grohl. he is a pure natural musician. i know most people here know i love dave grohl but i love him so much becuase he is so great.

songwriting is probably taylor but dave grohl is easily more talented. he is a world class drummer and the guitarist/song writer of a huge band currently.

hes played bass, drums, guitar, and sang on many albums and made several albums by himself. if you ask who is more talented it has to be grohl. i think alot of people will vote taylor because they dont like nirvana foo fighters queens of the stone age or whatever but dave grohl is one of the most talented musicians out there

Fish on The Sand
12-15-2008, 01:24 AM
A quick google search reveals him to be the lead singer of Slipknot. As such, Dave Grohl wins by default.

Taylor is also the frontman for Stone Sour.

Fish on The Sand
12-15-2008, 01:25 AM
more talented is easyily grohl. he is a pure natural musician. i know most people here know i love dave grohl but i love him so much becuase he is so great.

songwriting is probably taylor but dave grohl is easily more talented. he is a world class drummer and the guitarist/song writer of a huge band currently.

hes played bass, drums, guitar, and sang on many albums and made several albums by himself. if you ask who is more talented it has to be grohl. i think alot of people will vote taylor because they dont like nirvana foo fighters queens of the stone age or whatever but dave grohl is one of the most talented musicians out there

This pretty much sums up why I think Grohl will win. Grohl has a level of musicianship only rivalled by Noel Gallagher, which is a huge boost. I personally put more stock into songwriting, but Grohl's ability to play pretty much any instrument is a good reason to choose him.

The Fuhr*
12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
This pretty much sums up why I think Grohl will win. Grohl has a level of musicianship only rivalled by Noel Gallagher, which is a huge boost. I personally put more stock into songwriting, but Grohl's ability to play pretty much any instrument is a good reason to choose him.

In terms of musicianship Trent Reznor would enter the convesation. Like Dave, Trent is also Mr. Everything in putting songs together.

Epoch
12-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Grohl, easily.

Big McLargehuge
12-15-2008, 02:10 AM

Christ, Grohl wins by default.

Fish on The Sand
12-15-2008, 02:16 AM
I see my hopes of a mature conversation were too ambitious. So many people who have never heard of Taylor are simply voting for Grohl because Taylor fronts Slipknot. There are many reasons to vote for Grohl, but voting for Grohl because he wasn't in slipknot is not one of them. I personally hate Slipknot, however Taylor's work in that band, and in Stone Sour specifically, is mor eimpressive than Grohl. This may be because I put a large emphasis on vocal range and songwriting, as opposed to musicianship, but at least I have provided a reason. One could argue that Grohl's superiority when it comes to musicianship is enough to overcome Taylor's advanatges in the other areas.

Ten
12-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Who the hell is Corey Taylor.

Gunnar Stahl 30
12-15-2008, 02:25 AM
In terms of musicianship Trent Reznor would enter the convesation. Like Dave, Trent is also Mr. Everything in putting songs together.

trent and dave worked together on the nin with teeth album

Gunnar Stahl 30
12-15-2008, 02:30 AM
I see my hopes of a mature conversation were too ambitious. So many people who have never heard of Taylor are simply voting for Grohl because Taylor fronts Slipknot. There are many reasons to vote for Grohl, but voting for Grohl because he wasn't in slipknot is not one of them. I personally hate Slipknot, however Taylor's work in that band, and in Stone Sour specifically, is mor eimpressive than Grohl. This may be because I put a large emphasis on vocal range and songwriting, as opposed to musicianship, but at least I have provided a reason. One could argue that Grohl's superiority when it comes to musicianship is enough to overcome Taylor's advanatges in the other areas.

i think a good voice is more of somethin you are born with but while yes being musically talented is also a natural trait, i think it takes more talent to be great at many instruments than it is to just have to write lyrics and sing. dave does both anyway. daves voice i think even as a huge fan is his only blemish musically. i dont think its bad and over the yeats has become much more raspier but he doesnt have a distinct voice. he is a great singer as far as being able to scream and not crack his voice or whatever but his voice isnt very disticnt or a natural singers voice. ive always put more emphasis on the music anyway and the voice just being another intrument

Sec of Partying Down
12-15-2008, 02:33 AM

FOTS, if you want a mature debate pick mature musicians to talk about not people that run around in masks.

Fish on The Sand
12-15-2008, 02:34 AM
FOTS, if you want a mature debate pick mature musicians to talk about not people that run around in masks.

Corey Taylor is a mature musician. You obviously know very little about him. Since nobody here really seems to know anything about Taylor other than he is the frontman of Slipknot, let me post some of his other contributions.

LtmfiHLaaYo
AQYBCsWHlwU
ZFK4HD7KAjk
GIzDsGyxsQM
itulXybtGjk
gUCDOCufH0g
gA_rH9EYWVc

Rick Sanchez
12-15-2008, 02:59 AM
Grohl's versatility as a musican easily wins this poll for me. I know who Taylor is and I even appreciate his work but its really not even close.

Canucks5551
12-15-2008, 03:16 AM
I like Corey Taylor, but Grohl can play guitar, bass, and drums and is also a very adept singer. Grohl wins this for me for sure.

Cone
12-15-2008, 03:24 AM

my thoughts exactly

Terry Cahill
12-15-2008, 03:48 AM
The drums on In Utero and Songs For The Deaf, the first two Foo Fighters albums, and Probot.

'nuff said?

Finnpin
12-15-2008, 03:52 AM
Apocalyptica (Feat. Corey Taylor) - I'm Not Jesus

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OCqUR_iActA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OCqUR_iActA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cone
12-15-2008, 03:55 AM
its like... a really bad tool song

parabola
12-15-2008, 04:54 AM
Grohl is more talented, but I prefer Corey Taylor's music.

Morozov
12-15-2008, 05:28 AM
More "talented" I go with Grohl mainly because you could clone him, send a clone out to fulfill each roll of the band and you would have a great everything.

Celestial Black
12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Grohl will win due to the lack of people knowing who Corey is.

Pure Rock Fury*
12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Grohl easily because Slipknot and Stone Sour are awful.

Teemu
12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
I can't believe that no one knows who Taylor is.

Voted Grohl, of course.

EvilCorporateLawyer
12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Grohl has more talent in his pinky than Taylor does in his entire body.

He's one of the best drummers in rock today.

He's a great vocalist and guitarist.

And Dain Bramage was one of the greatest unknown bands of all time (Grohl's old, old band). "I Scream Not Coming Down" is a ****ing ripper of an LP.

EvilCorporateLawyer
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
For fun...

Dain Bramage's first show in 1985:

ObODzB7h8MI

sIxJMQNVXCw

FFdLhrt8j3k

peqViAhZN9I

You can already see just how ****ing good of a drummer he is.

He's only 16.

SK13
12-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Foo Fighters had more good songs on their last two albums then Stone Sour and Slipknot have had in their entire discographies combined.

More talented songwriter? Just no.

Grohl easily.

Gunnar Stahl 30
12-15-2008, 12:29 PM
yea ive seen those before Jon. they are great. at 16 like you said. he actually started out as a guitarist but changed to drummer because the drummer in his band sucked. the first song he sang on was on Fumble, the album by Scream. the song is called Gods Look Down in 1989, you can see how much his voice has changed since. if you liten to Daves "Pocketwatch" album under the alias "Late!" you can hear him playing some of his first original songs. he played all the instruments and sang. the most well known song is probably "Color Pictures of a Marigold" which was titled "Marigold" on the B side of the Nirvana single "Heart Shaped Box" but it was rerecorded in a session in which Kurt didnt show up so Krist and Dave recorded some of their own stuff. Some of it includes some of the stuff on teh first Foo Fighters album like Big Me, Exhausted and Alone + Easy Target

Daves First Vocals(1989)
6Sj2m9ag-mY

MetalMilitia
12-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I like Taylor and Slipknot more. I really think the Foo Fighters are overrated and i don't care much for them or Grohl. But with that said, you can't argue against Grohl as a musician. Vote 1 for Grohl.

Theron
12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Dave Grohl sings, plays guitar and is an amazing drummer.
Dave Grohl has played and recorded with such bands as

Nirvana,
Foo Fighter,
Nine Inch Nails,
Queens of the Stone age,
Garbage,
Killing Joke,
the Prodigy,
Tom Petty,
David Bowie.. just to name a few...

Now dont get me wrong Corey Taylor has a good scream but

Slipknot, StoneSour, I like that apocolyptica track aswell but c'mon.. its pretty obvious who wins.... ;)

Epoch
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Taylor really likes to write angsty teenage lyrics...

:facepalm:

EvilCorporateLawyer
12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
If you can find this LP:

http://home.comcast.net/~gravityboy/bramage/images/frcover.jpg

Buy it.

This is such a ****ing amazing punk album and I'm glad I own a copy of it.

Risiko
12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
A much better poll would be:

Who's more talented:

Dave Grohl
Trent Reznor
Josh Homme

All three can play every instrument and sing/songwrite extremely well. Also for the most part, similar genre of music.

SK13
12-15-2008, 10:06 PM

I still liked Through Glass :dunno:

Pure Rock Fury*
12-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Seriously. Pretty pathetic for a 35 year old.

Gunnar Stahl 30
12-15-2008, 10:29 PM
If you can find this LP:

http://home.comcast.net/~gravityboy/bramage/images/frcover.jpg

Buy it.

This is such a ****ing amazing punk album and I'm glad I own a copy of it.

you have that?? how many copies are there? Dave actually started playing guitar with Dain Bramage but switched to drums