Playoffs begin

ES
03-06-2004, 02:52 AM
First, preliminary round between teams lying between 7th and 10th.

Best of three, winner advancing to quarter finals.

Jokerit (7)-JYP (10)
Jokerit played badly after Christmas break, and fell from the lead to 7th. Now they play with JYP. JYP had tight battle with Ässät for the 10th place.

Jokerit coach Hannu Jortikka has 6 Finnish Championships as a coach of TPS.

Tappara (8)-Blues (9)

Tappara is a reigning champion, but they lost lots of players in off-season. Their season was like the same whole time. Blues started the season badly, but they were playing well in early January. These two teams have played together also in 2002 and 2003. Tappara won both quarter-final series.

Quarterfinals (best-of-seven)
TPS-(worse preliminary round winner)
Kärpät-(better preliminary round winner)
HIFK-Ilves
HPK-Lukko

Andy.B
03-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Do the top 6 get a week off then?

Anyway quick prediction:-Oulun Karpat for Suomen Mastourit.

Andy.B
03-07-2004, 05:57 AM
Hehe it's Suomen mestarit :)

I couldn't remember how they spelt it.Thanks. :bow:

ES
03-07-2004, 03:41 PM
First games:

Jokerit-JYP 5-2
Glen Metropolit 1+1, Tomek Valtonen 1+1, Markus Kankaanperä 1+1, Anders Burström, Teemu Laine/Antti Virtanen 1+1, Janne Hauhtonen

Todd Warriner (0+1) returned to Jokerit roster after injury. Attendance only little over 3000.

Tappara-Blues 1-2 (overtime)
Janne Ojanen/Teemu Elomo, Juha Ylönen (71.05)

Low attendance also in Tampere, 2670.

Next games on Tuesday, Jokerit and Blues have chance to advance to quarter-finals.
Blues-Tappara
JYP-Jokerit

Andy.B
03-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Any specific reason for both games having low attendance figures?

Presumably these games are not included on the season ticket and all pay matchday rates,right?

jepjepjoo
03-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Any specific reason for both games having low attendance figures?

Presumably these games are not included on the season ticket and all pay matchday rates,right?

I think the reason is the new playoff format...

Jokerit - Jyp 3076/13665 22,5% attendance :eek:

Tappara - Blues 2670/8070 33% attendance :eek:

---------

In their last regular season home game Jokerit had 9589/13665 and that was against Pelicans who finished last...

In their last regular season home game Tappara had 5700/8070... It was against Ässät who finished 11th...

---------

These new playoffs aren't as good for money making as they thought....

Ville Isopää
03-08-2004, 05:41 AM
I also think that part of the reason of the low crowd for the Jokerit-JYP game could be that the Jokerit-game was shown on TV, and the matchups were decided as late as on Friday evening. It got a bit tight for people who had other plans that couldn't be changed for Sunday...

Padawan
03-08-2004, 07:11 AM
I also think that part of the reason of the low crowd for the Jokerit-JYP game could be that the Jokerit-game was shown on TV, and the matchups were decided as late as on Friday evening. It got a bit tight for people who had other plans that couldn't be changed for Sunday...

This is a bit odd imo. Jokerit fans say that this game came a surprise and they didn't have time to change plans or whatever... The game was a little suprise to JYP fans and the opposition could have been either Jokerit or Ilves. Most people thought it would be Ilves if JYP was going to continue their season after the regular season. Still we managed to get a full bus to Helsinki to cheer for JYP.

Oh, Metropolit should have 3+0 for that game. He scored twice and Valtonen didn't have to do practicly nothing to get the goal... BTW, that was a fine goal he made...Too bad it was towards his own goal.

Flonaldo
03-08-2004, 09:28 AM
This is a bit odd imo. Jokerit fans say that this game came a surprise and they didn't have time to change plans or whatever... The game was a little suprise to JYP fans and the opposition could have been either Jokerit or Ilves. Most people thought it would be Ilves if JYP was going to continue their season after the regular season. Still we managed to get a full bus to Helsinki to cheer for JYP.JYP fans knew that it was an away game on Sunday, if there was to be a game at all. I don't think it mattered for a single fan that they didn't know if it was Helsinki or Tampere where the game was.

On the other hand, Jokerit fans didn't know if they had a game on Sunday, or if their next game was a week from that on Saturday or maybe Monday until the last two games. One goal on Friday night and there wouldn't have been a game for Jokerit.

Jussi
03-08-2004, 11:02 AM
The game was a little suprise to JYP fans and the opposition could have been either Jokerit or Ilves. Most people thought it would be Ilves if JYP was going to continue their season after the regular season. Still we managed to get a full bus to Helsinki to cheer for JYP.

Well, you sure made yourselves heard out there. I can honestly say I didn't hear a single Jyppi-chant during the game.

Padawan
03-08-2004, 03:08 PM
JYP fans knew that it was an away game on Sunday, if there was to be a game at all. I don't think it mattered for a single fan that they didn't know if it was Helsinki or Tampere where the game was.

On the other hand, Jokerit fans didn't know if they had a game on Sunday, or if their next game was a week from that on Saturday or maybe Monday until the last two games. One goal on Friday night and there wouldn't have been a game for Jokerit.

That's my point. The same problem was in both sides. There could have been that both teams wouldn't have game on sunday. Still, we managed to get 50 people in there and JYP fans didn't a whole day to decide whether to come or not since they had to report to me if they wanted a place on aour fan bus... Oh well, there wasn't many people in Tampere either and they knew their team would play on sunday couple of days before.

Well, you sure made yourselves heard out there. I can honestly say I didn't hear a single Jyppi-chant during the game.
We were on the upper level. I'm sure you saw us there. We chanted but like you and your fellow Jokerit fans, the output wasn't very loud.

Jussi
03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
We were on the upper level. I'm sure you saw us there. We chanted but like you and your fellow Jokerit fans, the output wasn't very loud.

I meant tv. I wasn't there. A bit hard to travel 240 km for a match with a bicycle. :D

Padawan
03-08-2004, 04:44 PM
I meant tv. I wasn't there. A bit hard to travel 240 km for a match with a bicycle. :D

Oh, now I get it. TV usually lowers the volume of other noises so our (JYP fans and Jokerit fans) cheering doesn't sound so loud as it really is.

Yeah, traveling 240 kilometres in winter time is usually hard. Not to mention the time it would take. (c;

Andy.B
03-08-2004, 04:45 PM
It's even harder coming back on a bicycle when you lose too!

ES
03-10-2004, 01:34 AM
JYP-Jokerit 2-3
Antti Virtanen, Jaakko Uhlbäck 1+1, Jari Korhonen 0+2/Sean Bergenheim, Glen Metropolit, Timo Vertala

Jokerit advances to quarter-finals and plays against Kärpät, Oulu. The teams have meeted in the playoffs three previous years. In 2001 Kärpät won regular-season winner Jokerit in quarter-finals, in 2002 Jokerit was better in QF on the way to the championship. Last year Kärpät won in semi-finals.

Blues-Tappara 1-4
Mike Lephart/Petri Kontiola 1+1, Sami Venäläinen, Petri Varis 1+1, Mike Stapleton 1+1, Pasi Puistola 0+2

Blues had chance to break the series, but Tappara takes home advantage (despite both games have ended in a visitor's win) for today's game.

Petri Kontiola is 20-year forward who played for Finland in WJC. Now he has 5 goals in last 7 games, first goal of those was his first in Finnish SM-liiga.

Andy.B
03-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Sorry for jumping in on this one but:-

Tappara 0 - 2 Blues Espoo.

blues advance to quarter finals and eliminate defending champs.Both goals scored in 3rd period by same player.(Teemo Elonen /)

I did read it on SM liigas website (a full 2 minutes ago!) and I am not sure if I have correctly remembered his name. :dunno:

MaV
03-10-2004, 03:46 PM
It's nice to see someone (Andy.B) is actually interested in what happens in SM-liiga. Judging the attendaces not too many are in Finland.

ES
03-11-2004, 04:16 AM
Name is Teemu Elomo and he is drafted by Dallas Stars (#132) in 1997.
He is younger brother of Miika, who was drafted in first round by Caps in 1995. Miika played only 2 games in NHL, and now he plays also in Blues.

Quarterfinals (best-of-seven):
TPS-Blues
Teams met 8 times in regular season, so they know each other very well. TPS on 5 games (2 OT) and Blues 2, with one draw.
TPS has clear material advantage in this pair. Blues playes very defensive hockey and if it works well, they have slight chance.

Kärpät-Jokerit
As I mentioned earlier, they met 4th time in a row this year. Jokerit hasn't been very good this year. Kärpät got big loss late in regular season, when goaltender Niklas Bäckström injured in Sweden Hockey Games. It's not sure when he returns, but he could be able to play in this series.

HIFK-Ilves
HIFK has great 1st line (Kimmo Kuhta, Brett Harkins, Timo Pärssinen, Jere Karalahti, Toni Söderholm), but backups not near that. Ilves has more even line-up, led by center Raimo Helminen and defenseman Cory Murphy.

HPK-Lukko
Most interesting series, I think. HPK played end of regular season well and took home advantage. Lukko sacked coach in November, and with their new coach, Jukka Rautakorpi (who coached Tappara last year to championship) they have gone up. Big possibility to go to 7 games.

Jokerit Wasp
03-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Name is Teemu Elomo and he is drafted by Dallas Stars (#132) in 1997.
He is younger brother of Miika, who was drafted in first round by Caps in 1995. Miika played only 2 games in NHL, and now he plays also in Blues.

Quarterfinals (best-of-seven):
TPS-Blues
Teams met 8 times in regular season, so they know each other very well. TPS on 5 games (2 OT) and Blues 2, with one draw.
TPS has clear material advantage in this pair. Blues playes very defensive hockey and if it works well, they have slight chance.

Kärpät-Jokerit
As I mentioned earlier, they met 4th time in a row this year. Jokerit hasn't been very good this year. Kärpät got big loss late in regular season, when goaltender Niklas Bäckström injured in Sweden Hockey Games. It's not sure when he returns, but he could be able to play in this series.

HIFK-Ilves
HIFK has great 1st line (Kimmo Kuhta, Brett Harkins, Timo Pärssinen, Jere Karalahti, Toni Söderholm), but backups not near that. Ilves has more even line-up, led by center Raimo Helminen and defenseman Cory Murphy.

HPK-Lukko
Most interesting series, I think. HPK played end of regular season well and took home advantage. Lukko sacked coach in November, and with their new coach, Jukka Rautakorpi (who coached Tappara last year to championship) they have gone up. Big possibility to go to 7 games.

ES, who played in place of Backstrom for Karpat during the run in? - Rinne? I heard he played quite well? I know Backstrom, and think he is one of best NMs in finland, horrible pads tho! :p

Andy.B
03-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Quick prediction for the quarter finals.

TPS 4 - 2 Blues Espoo
Karpat 4 - 3 Jokerit :handclap:
HIFK 4 -1 Ilves Tampere :handclap:
HPK 3 - 4 RaumanLukko

Jokerit Wasp
03-12-2004, 05:49 PM
My predictions:
Karpat 4-1 Jokerit
TPS 4-1 Blues
HIFK 4-2 Ilves
HPK 4-3 Lukko

:teach:

montreal
03-12-2004, 09:59 PM
How does the HPK-Lukko series match up, and how has Joni Puurula played this season outside of his good stats (or his stats seem good to me, but I know of the sm-liiga) Thanks!

ES
03-13-2004, 04:17 PM
First games of the quarter-finals played:

TPS-Blues 3-2
Mika Alatalo 2, Kai Nurminen/Olli Ahonen, Ladislav Kohn

TPS had very good start for the game. In first period Blues goalie Mika Oksa had 15 saves while Teemu Lassila had only 5. Alatalo scored only goal just after faceoff. In second period Alatalo scored his second and Kai Nurminen scored 3-0 on a breakaway. Blues got first goal on the second half of third period and second came when minute and second was left. Blues didn't score on 5-minute power play after high-sticking by Nurminen.

Kärpät-Jokerit 3-2
Brad Smyth, Juha-Pekka Haataja, Jussi Jokinen/Glen Metropolit, Timo Vertala

Very eventful game. Kärpät goalie Niklas Bäckström returned to action. Metropolit got match penalty for checking to the head, Petr Tenkrat and Todd Warriner had fight, both given major and game misconduct. Sean Bergenheim injured his knee and it looks like his season is over.
If someone is from Oulu, he can tell more.

HIFK-Ilves 3-1
Roman Vopat, Brett Harkins, Pasi Saarinen/Marko Luomala

HIFK captain Toni Söderholm was injured in 3rd period after a hit by Timo Peltomaa.

HPK-Lukko 3-2
Vladimir Sicak, Jukka Voutilainen, Oliver Setzinger (59.09)/Toni Porkka, Sami Torkki

Lukko had two goals disallowed because HPK players had moved the net. Lukko's second goal was very lucky. Torkki shot from red line, the puck hit the glass, then Joni Puurula's back and went to the net.

Andy.B
03-13-2004, 04:57 PM
First games of the quarter-finals played: Torkki shot from red line, the puck hit the glass, then Joni Puurula's back and went to the net.

Does Torkki get an Assist for that the or not?I reckon he woul in British EIHL

Jokerit Wasp
03-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Does Torkki get an Assist for that the or not?I reckon he woul in British EIHL

Nope, he will just be awarded a goal ;) Puurula is the keeper.

ES
03-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Results of second games:

Blues-TPS 4-2 (wins 1-1)
Jukka Tiilikainen 2, Teemu Elomo 1+1, Olli Ahonen 1+1, Drew Bannister 0+2, Ladislav Kohn 0+2/Niko Mikkola, Marco Tuokko

Jokerit-Kärpät 2-3 (wins 0-2)
Tommi Turunen 1+1, Anders Burström/Jari Viuhkola 2, Martin Stepanek

Ilves-HIFK 3-2 (wins 1-1)
Ville Leino 1+1, Tommi Jäminki, Shayne Toporowski/Kimmo Kuhta 2, Brett Harkins 0+2, Pasi Saarinen 0+2

Lukko-HPK 0-5 (wins 0-2)
Vladimir Sicak, Juha-Pekka Loikas, Toni Mäkiaho, Janne Lahti, Teemu Aalto, Hannu Väisänen 0+2, Tony Virta 0+2

aonez
03-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Kärpät-Jokerit

How big chances do you think Kärpät has to win in full-time, please give me a percentage! :D

aonez
03-16-2004, 02:52 PM
I'd say 60-75%

ES
03-18-2004, 02:31 AM
Wednesday games:

TPS-Blues 4-0 (wins 2-1)
Kai Nurminen 1+1, Kimmo Peltonen, Mika Alatalo 1+1, Niko Mikkola, Antti Aalto 0+2, Mikko Koivu 0+2

Teemu Lassila had only 15 saves to make a shutout.

Kärpät-Jokerit 2-5 (wins 2-1)
Janne Pesonen, Petr Tenkrat/Jan Latvala 1+1, Glen Metropolit, Timo Vertala, Pierre-Claude Drouin, Jussi Pesonen

Metropolit returned after suspension and scored again one goal. He has scored in his all 4 playoff games.

HIFK-Ilves 0-3 (wins 1-2)
Vesa Viitakoski, Marek Vorel, Shayne Toporowski 1+1

First pair in which home advantage has changed.

HPK-Lukko 4-0 (wins 3-0)
Jani Keinänen, Oliver Setzinger 1+1, Joni Lappalainen, Toni Mäkiaho, Tomas Kucharcik 0+2

HPK has chance to win the series in next game. Lukko's Canadians got penalties: Daniel Tkaczuk a total of 14 minutes and Quinn Hancock match penalty for checking to the head.

Next games on Friday.

Luoma
03-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Last season the broadcast the games on net radio. Are they doing so this year? And do you know where? I don't care if they are in english of finnish.

velema
03-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Last season the broadcast the games on net radio. Are they doing so this year? And do you know where? I don't care if they are in english of finnish.

TPS - Blues mms://194.157.163.117/onair
Kärpät - Jokerit http://stream.sbs.fi/radiomega.m3u
HIFK - Ilves http://stream.sbs.fi/mp3/957kiakko.html
HPK - Lukko http://www.radiojanne.fi:10170

ES
03-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Blues-TPS 3-2 (wins 2-2)
Jukka Tiilikainen, Teemu Elomo, Rami Alanko/Mikko Koivu, Antti Hulkkonen

Blues captain Alanko played despite knee injury on Monday. He scored game-winner at 56.30. Shots on goal at 3rd period: Blues 1, TPS 21. Goals: Blues 1, TPS 0

Jokerit-Kärpät 1-2 (1-3)
Timo Vertala/Jussi Jokinen 1+1, Mikko Myllykoski 1+1

Ilves-HIFK 4-2 (3-1)
Ville Snellman, Shayne Toporowski, Raimo Helminen 1+1, Vesa Viitakoski 1+1/Pasi Saarinen, Kimmo Kuhta

Regular season scoring leader Timo Pärssinen assisted Kuhta's goal. That was his first point in playoffs.

Lukko-HPK 1-3 (0-4)
Mika Viinanen/Jukka Voutilainen, Olli Sillanpää, Oliver Setzinger

This pair was predicted to be most even, but the truth was different. HPK was first team to advance to semi-finals.

ES
03-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Sunday

TPS-Blues 4-2 (wins 3-2)
Mikko Rautee, Antti Hulkkonen, Kai Nurminen, David Schneider, Antti Aalto 0+3/Marko Tuomainen, Jarkko A. Immonen

This series got also excitement as Mikko Eloranta (TPS) and Ladislav Kohn (Blues) were sent out in this game. Eloranta pushed Radek Philipp from behind and Philipp hit his head to boards and got bad concussion. Kohn fell into Marco Tuokko's knees and got major and game misconduct for clipping. Eloranta got match penalty so he misses at least Tuesday's match.

Blues's Jarkko A. Immonen is Dallas prospect.

Kärpät-Jokerit 1-2 (3-2)
Jari Viuhkola/Pierre-Claude Drouin 1+1, Glen Metropolit

Kärpät had chance to break the series, but Jokerit won and the games go on.

HIFK-Ilves 3-0 (2-3)
Pasi Saarinen, Kim Hirschovits 1+1, Turo Järvinen, Joonas Vihko 0+2

HIFK't third line scored all the goals in the first period. Ilves had also chance to break, and on Tuesday they can break the series at home.

GKJ
03-23-2004, 02:40 PM
by my count, (I don't understand Finnish but I can find myself through limited parts of sm-liiga.fi) HIFK and Ilves will play a game 7 tomorrow

edit

Padawan
03-23-2004, 04:00 PM
by my count, (I don't understand Finnish but I can find myself through limited parts of sm-liiga.fi) HPK and Ilves will play a game 7 tomorrow

Close but still wrong. HIFK and Ilves will play game 7 tomorrow. HPK was the first one to advance to the next round. They won Lukko cleanly 4-0.

Kärpät won Jokerit (1-2) today and advanced to the next round. TPS won Blues (0-2) today and advanced to the next round.

Andy.B
03-23-2004, 05:04 PM
GO big red cats :yo:

ES
03-24-2004, 04:31 AM
Padawan told the results earlier:

Goal scorers:
Jokerit: Glen Metropolit
Kärpät: Brad Smyth, Mikko Lehtonen 1+1, Jari Viuhkola 0+2
-
TPS: Jani Kiviharju, Arttu Virtanen 1+1
-
HIFK: Timo Pärssinen

Semifinals are not ready, it's up to HIFK-Ilves game 7.

If Ilves wins:
TPS-Ilves, Kärpät-HPK
If HIFK wins:
TPS-HPK, Kärpät-HIFK

Jokerit Wasp
03-24-2004, 10:08 AM
My predictions:
Karpat 4-1 Jokerit
TPS 4-1 Blues
HIFK 4-2 Ilves
HPK 4-3 Lukko

:teach:
My predictions are right so far, apart from the number of games! I expect HIFK to win game 7!

Gotta go with TPS or Karpat for winning it, Karpat will be up for revenge after losing the league so closely, but TPS have been in these final's many times before... I'll say KARPAT to win! :rolly:

Andy.B
03-24-2004, 04:18 PM
so the semi-finals will begin on saturday,right?

Also is it best of 5 games per series now?

Flonaldo
03-25-2004, 03:00 AM
so the semi-finals will begin on saturday,right?

Also is it best of 5 games per series now?Yes and yes.

Andy.B
03-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Thank you Flonaldo.Twice :rolly:

Andy.B
03-26-2004, 01:45 AM
HIFK 4 - 3 Ilves Tampere. :handclap:

Kimmo Kuhta 2 +0 Joonas Vihko 1+0 Mikko kurvinen 1+0.
Brett Harkins,Toni Happola,Mikko Laine and Turo Jarvinen 0+1.

Bring on Oulun Karpat in the semis. :)

Being serious for a moment,I think that it is fair that the top 4 after regular season are the 4 semi-finalists.

GO BIG RED CATS :handclap:

Pekka Lampinen
03-26-2004, 11:32 AM
For a while I was afraid that the sky was falling or something, but Lundell is still Lundell. His lousy technique and awareness will spell disaster for IFK.

mikkoz
03-26-2004, 11:44 AM
For a while I was afraid that the sky was falling or something, but Lundell is still Lundell. His lousy technique and awareness will spell disaster for IFK.

That maybe true, but youre sounding like the famous band....
The Beach Boys (http://www.beachboysfanclub.com/) :joker:

Jokerit Wasp
03-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Ive been wondering why Lundell has been playing?? Is Stathos injured??? I thought Laaksoharju played really well last season when he was called upon, how come Lundell was re-signed mid season and plays?

ES
03-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Ive been wondering why Lundell has been playing?? Is Stathos injured??? I thought Laaksoharju played really well last season when he was called upon, how come Lundell was re-signed mid season and plays?

Laaksoharju was injured in Christmas break (for rest of the season) and Lundell was then called to HIFK. Stathos, meanwhile, played badly in playoffs, he was twice switched to Lundell in the middle of the game. Lundell played last 3 games of the QF.

MaV
03-26-2004, 04:08 PM

Er, dunno... it's not that Lundell would be that much different from Pekka Rinne anyway.

ES
03-28-2004, 03:21 AM
First semi-finals played:

TPS-HPK 2-0
Arttu Virtanen, Kimmo Peltonen

Kärpät-HIFK 3-2 OT
Brett Lievers, Mikko Lehtonen, Petr Tenkrat (76.46)/Brett Harkins, Turo Järvinen

ES
03-30-2004, 04:43 AM
Second games played:

HPK-TPS 3-4 OT (wins 0-2)
Marko Toivonen, Janne Laakkonen, Hannu Väisänen/Matias Metsäranta 2 (65.49), Jani Kiviharju, Kai Nurminen, Mikko Rautee 0+2

HPK led three times, but TPS tied the game every time. Kiviharju's (was the player in the crease) and Nurminen's (was it made by foot) goals little questionnable.

HIFK-Kärpät 4-2 (wins 1-1)
Jere Karalahti, Jarno Kultanen, Timo Pärssinen, Kimmo Kuhta/Antti Aarnio, Ari Vallin 1+1

5 goals were scored between 49.38 and 60.00. Kärpät tied the game twice, but HIFK turned to the lead quickly after. Kuhta scored final goal in the empty-net.

Next games on Wednesday.

ES
03-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Mikko Eloranta (TPS) is out for rest of the season because of neck injury. Toni Mäkiaho (HPK) got one-game-suspension for checking to the head. Kimmo Peltonen got concussion.

Andy.B
03-31-2004, 03:14 PM
TPS 3-1 HPK.(wins 3-0) Marco Tuokko 2+0 Nico Mikkola 1+0 Mikko Koivu 0+2 Kai Nurminen, Jiri Vykoukal,Joni Luis all 0+1.

TPS advances to the final series.

Karpat 0-5 HIFK.(wins 1-2)Brett Harkins 1+3,Toni Söderholm 1+0,Jere Karalahti 1+1,Kimmo Kuhta 1+0,Roman Vopat 1+0.Timo Parssinen 0+2.

Just thought I'd save the Finnish guys a job!

GoM
03-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Let's go HIFK let's go :handclap:

Andy.B
03-31-2004, 04:02 PM
Don't count on it Zero.

The big red cats are hugry and on the prowl.

GO HIFK

Andy.B
04-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Karpat definately seem to to on a downer at the moment and I think TPS will prove too strong for either of the other 2 teams.
Still,they have to go out and win the games,and HIFK still have to win at least another game to make the final.HIFK, I feel,stil need to play good solid hockey to beat Karpat.

ES
04-01-2004, 01:11 AM
Kärpät got two majors plus game misconducts yesterday. Henrik Juntunen for checking to the head and Vladimir Machulda for boarding. The first one was deserved but the latter one wasn't I think.

Raimo Sillanpää
04-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Karpat definately seem to to on a downer at the moment and I think TPS will prove too strong for either of the other 2 teams.
Still,they have to go out and win the games,and HIFK still have to win at least another game to make the final.HIFK, I feel,stil need to play good solid hockey to beat Karpat.

TPS will lose to whoever they face in the final. The teams strong but the coaching is inexperienced and will get embarrassed by Aravirta or Heikkilä..

Padawan
04-01-2004, 09:14 AM
TPS will lose to whoever they face in the final. The teams strong but the coaching is inexperienced and will get embarrassed by Aravirta or Heikkilä..
:lol:

Anybody who claims that TPS' coaching is inexperinced doesn't really follow finnish ice hockey. :shakehead

ES
04-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Yes, Kärpät won today's game 3-2 in the overtime

HIFK led 2-0 in the 2nd period with Jere Karalahti and Joonas Vihko scoring, but Kärpät (Brett Lievers) scored with 20 seconds left in the 2nd. Jussi Jokinen tied the game early in the 3rd period. Overtime goal was scored by Juha-Pekka Haataja at 71.48

GoM
04-02-2004, 03:31 PM
What's the series at now?

Raimo Sillanpää
04-02-2004, 03:32 PM
:lol:

Anybody who claims that TPS' coaching is inexperinced doesn't really follow finnish ice hockey. :shakehead

Ok, so explain exactly how Jukku Koiva can compare with Aravirta (nuff said) or Heikkilä (final last season) in terms of experience in playoff games/pressure situations?

ES
04-03-2004, 02:08 AM
What's the series at now?

2-2 and the deciding match is on Sunday.

About the coaching, Koivu was all the Jursinov years as 2nd coach. TPS got 2 golds and 3 silvers in those six years.

He hasn't exxperience as head coach but as 2nd coach a lot.

Raimo Sillanpää
04-03-2004, 06:01 AM
2-2 and the deciding match is on Sunday.

About the coaching, Koivu was all the Jursinov years as 2nd coach. TPS got 2 golds and 3 silvers in those six years.

He hasn't exxperience as head coach but as 2nd coach a lot.

That's my point.
As assistant coach you're head isn't on the plate if you make wrong choice at this point of season. So you're free to give head coach ideas.. but when you're the headcoach, making the wrong choice can have drastic result on your job.. so it adds an element of "fear of failure" dealing with that is something an assistant has never done.
Aravirta has done it though, many times.
If you're afraid of failure you're less likely to take that risk that could turn the series for you. You're more likely to panick and make wrong choice.

That's a HUGE barrier in terms of experience, and there Jukka Koivu has no experience. And thus is INEXPERIENCED compared to either of the two who could face him next.

Plus Koivu is the only one with something to lose. Heikkilä's leaving Kärpät, Aravirta virtually can't be criticised/replaced at this point, maybe if next season goes badly butHIFK coudn't replace him with anyone now. TPS is supposed to be the better team, so if they don't win people will seek reasons why , adding pressure on Koivu..

Padawan
04-03-2004, 06:24 AM
That's a HUGE barrier in terms of experience, and there Jukka Koivu has no experience. And thus is INEXPERIENCED compared to either of the two who could face him next.

Koivu is experienced as assistant coach. IMHO it doesn't matter if you're the head coach or assintant, you'll still are where it happens and get experience for the future. He nows what it takes to win what really can't be said with the two other head coaches. Aravirta as a head coach really hasn't won anything big. Same goes with Heikkilä. Kärpät is supposed to be the best team in paper. Last season Heikkilä's team was in trouble with JYP, a much smaller and weaker team, but won the series. They lost the finals back then. They were a bit better team in paper back then imo.

Plus Koivu is the only one with something to lose.
I disagree. I think Aravirta and Heikkilä has something to lose also. Aravirta is being critisized and HIFK fans have something to say when it comes to next seasons coaching staff. HIFK board of directors takes their fans opinion very seriously imo. If HIFK fans aren't happy, Aravirta may have to find another team to coach.

Heikkilä on the other hand is getting the same reputation as Aravirta has had if Kärpät doesn't win the championship this year imo. He will be remembered as a coach who can't win anything big. But that's only my opinion.

MaV
04-03-2004, 07:15 AM
Aravirta as a head coach really hasn't won anything big. Same goes with Heikkilä.

In that case there are very few coaches in the world who have won anything big. And none of them coach in SM-liiga. I wonder how many active coaches there are among the World Championship winners.

Sorry, wrong button. -Padawan-

Padawan
04-03-2004, 08:53 AM
In that case there are very few coaches in the world who have won anything big. And none of them coach in SM-liiga. I wonder how many active coaches there are among the World Championship winners.

I didn't meant only in the WC's. I didn't count the Championship he won with Jokerit because with that team the gold medal was the only acceptable outcome.

The truth is that I forgot his championship with Jokerit. Forgive me, I'm currently suffering maxillary sinus infection.

mikkoz
04-04-2004, 01:55 PM
1. Period
14.16 Brett Harkins 0-1 (Timo Pärssinen, Jere Karalahti)
15.41Vladimir Machulda 1-1 (Petr Tenkrat, Brett Lievers)

2. Period
34.47 Ari Vallin 2-1 (Mikko Lehtonen, Jari Viuhkola)

3. Period
55.15 Kimmo Kuhta 2-2

OT
67.31 Brett Lievers 3-2 (Petr Tenkrat, Vladimir Machulda)

So Kärpät go to finals against TPS. Niclas Bäckström no.1 goalie for Kärpät got indjured in third period and he wont be playing in the finanls?

GoM
04-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Nooo

:(

Jamina
04-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Golden Brett made it - Kärpät plays in finals :handclap: :handclap:

Padawan
04-04-2004, 06:08 PM
The most entertaining finals possible IMO :D
I disagree. Why? Not because of the teams but what has come up when those teams played in the regular season. Nothing. Nothing risen up in the media. Instead TPS vs HIFK, there were something and that something would've lifted that final series to another level imo.

I'm sorry that Bäckström had that injury. Now Rinne is the man TPS players had to beat and imo it's a lot easier job.

pihinalle
04-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Bäckström believes he can play in the finals.

mikkoz
04-05-2004, 12:54 PM
I disagree.
I agree... with you. Well since Kärpät got themself to finals, i hope they win, a little change is for the best.

mikkoz
04-06-2004, 01:55 PM
1. Period
No goals

2. Period
36.34 Marco Tuokko 1-0 (Mikko Koivu)

3. Period
55.07 Petr Tenkrat 1-1 (Jari Viuhkola)
59.01 Vladimir Machulda 1-2 (Brett Lievers, Petr Tenkrat)

This was a boring game, except for the last five minutes. Both teams playd wery defencevly. I really hope the next game is more open playing from both of the teams.

ES
04-07-2004, 01:57 PM
HIFK-HPK 3-1
Oliver Setzinger 0-1 (Jani Keinänen, Marko Tuulola)
Mikko Laine 1-1
Turo Järvinen 2-1 (Joonas Vihko) YV
Joonas Vihko 3-1 (Kim Hirschovits, Turo Järvinen)

HIFK got bronze medals.

mikkoz
04-08-2004, 02:23 PM
1. Period
4.17 Brad Smyth 1-0 (Jussi Jokinen, Martin Stepanek)
12.37 Vladimir Machulda 2-0 (Brett Lievers, Kimmo Lotvonen)
Lassila out Karjalainen in the net.
14.15 David Schneider 2-1 (Mikko Koivu)

2. Period
25.51 Kai Nurminen 2-2 (Antti Aalto, Jiri Vykoukal)

3. Period
48.20 Niko Mikkola 2-3 (Antti Aalto) PP
55.54 Vladimir Machulda 3-3 (Brett Lievers, Ilkka Mikkola)

OT
71.46 Brett Lievers 4-3 (Ilkka Mikkola) PP

A much better game than the first one. Fast, lot of hits, shots, nice goals and excitement. Machulda has been really good, and also TPS goalie Karjalainen. This was a real play-off game. Kärpät is one victory away from being the finnish champs.

Next game is starting tomorrow 16.00 Finnish time(04.00 p.m.). Ill be boozing with my buddies so if someone has willpower to post the score here please do so!

Padawan
04-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Well, TPS took a clean win over Kärpät. The games continue next sunday in Oulu. The wins are now 2-1 for Kärpät. Three wins is needed for the finnish Championship.

1 Period
14.27 Kai Nurminen 1-0 (Antti Aalto) GWG

2 Period
24.46 Jani Kiviharju 2-0 (Marco Tuokko, Mikko Rautee)

3 Period
50.10 Antti Aalto 3-0 (Niko Mikkola)

51.45 Antti Aalto 4-0 (Jiri Vykoukal) PP

52.12 Kimmo Peltonen 5-0

mikkoz
04-11-2004, 12:23 PM
OT
63.55 Ari Vallin 1-0 (Pekka Saarenheimo)

Saves

Kärpät
Niklas Bäckström 8+10+5+2=25
TPS
Teemu Lassila 10+8+13+4=35

Kärpät won the game in overtime and they are the Finish Champs.
In the game Kärpät were better(imo) and deserved the victory.

Congratulations!

Pekka Lampinen
04-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Prior to the series I considered the finalists to be the weakest in the history of all-pro SM-Liiga, and I still think the same. Correspondingly, there is no one worthy of the playoff MVP title, I predict Bäckström to get it despite his inconsistent play in semis and finals. To play with a broken ligament is impressive, though.

Statistical tidbits: The champions lost two games 0-5 and won all of their games by one goal, half of them in the overtime, not losing a single game by sudden death. They ended up with a negative goal differential.

Last spring the championship title hadn't left Turku and Helsinki since 1988. This spring it hadn't left the three largest urban centers in Finland, Helsinki, Tampere and Turku, since 1981. Now it hasn't left the four largest centers, Helsinki, Tampere, Turku and Oulu, since 1978.

GKJ
04-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Last spring the championship title hadn't left Turku and Helsinki since 1988. This spring it hadn't left the three largest urban centers in Finland, Helsinki, Tampere and Turku, since 1981. Now it hasn't left the four largest centers, Helsinki, Tampere, Turku and Oulu, since 1978.

what? im confused...i think you got some of your words crossed up...?

Jokerit Wasp
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
what? im confused...i think you got some of your words crossed up...?
No...he's totally correct in what he says......since 1988, only TPS TURKU and Jokerit HELSINKI have won the championship.
If you go back even further, then since 1981 only TPS, JOKERIT, IFK HELSINKI and Tappara TAMPERE have won the championship. :banana:

Korkki
04-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Jokerit Wasp is a bit wrong, the championship stayed 1989-2002 in Helsinki and Turku, BUT 1998 Champions were HIFK Helsinki, other champs were TPS and Jokerit. Championship trophy was on Tampere in seasons 1984-1988 and 2003 with Tappara (most) and Ilves (1985).

The latest champion out of the 4 biggest areas (Helsinki, Tampere, Turku and Oulu) was my hometown Porin Ässät on 1978.

EDIT: Here are the champions of SM-liiga era (past 1976)
1976: TPS
1977: Tappara
1978: Ässät
1979: Tappara
1980: HIFK
1981: Kärpät
1982: Tappara
1983: HIFK
1984: Tappara
1985: Ilves
1986: Tappara
1987: Tappara