03-16-2009, 09:12 AM
I need some help, for my sports management class we need to do a 7+ page power point on an International sports league. The league needed to be outside America and Canada so I went with the KHL over in Russia. I tried going on the KHL site but obviously its all in Russian. So does anyone know where I can find information on the league or know any information (how many teams how many games per season etc). Or even a suggestion on a better league to chose from that I could find more info?
Anything would be great!!!
Thank you very little
03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Thats the trasnlated page. All i know that is 16 teams made the playoffs out of about 24 teams (24 i am not sure).
The playoffs are going now and they are down to the last 4 teams.
You could probably find alot of articles using google news, i searched KHL in it, heres what came up
I think an interesting topic could be the few nhl players going over to the KHL. Jagr and i think Emery (the goalie) are the 2 biggest stars that went over. Jaromir Jagr's team, Omsk Advance Guard would be an interesting topic because they had a bunch of problems (fired coach, rehired, fired, one of their top players died while playing and then they barely made the playoffs and beat the #1 team when they were ranked #16.)
You can talk about the economical problems, in the beginning of the league they had none of those problems and now they do.
You can get into who owns some of the teams. One of the owners was a gas company who supplied some of eastern europe with gas and they refused to give them gas a few months ago.
Here is a decent article:
Also i think emery was having problems getting the correct amount of money and didnt play a few games because of that.
I hope some of this helps! The league was a mess
03-17-2009, 01:20 AM
1. 4 divisions with names of famous russian/soviet hockey players/coaches (Kharlamov, Tarasov, Chernyshov, Bobrov) divided by rating
2. 4 games against own division teams (4*5) and 2 against other divisions teams (2*18) in regular season.
3. 1/8 and 1/4 playoff - best of 5
1/2 and final - best of 7
4. 25 players maximum per KHL-team roster in regular season (no limit in playoffs)
5 foreign skaters or 1gk and 3 skaters in roster and 3 per match.
5. 25 players maximum per KHL-team-farm-club and no foreigners.
6. First 4 teams of League - Divisions leaders.
7. Foreign goalie can play only 65% of regular season time.
http://www.khl.ru/documents/ - here is some docs and rules (in russian, but you can use translators)
Also look for KHL in wiki