U20 Team for the Tournament in St. Petersburg

eh
03-16-2004, 04:11 PM
The lineup of Team Finland for the international tournament in St. Petersburg, Russia in April has been announced.

Link (http://www.finhockey.fi/taustasivut/artikkeliarkisto/?num=58427)

31 Juho Santanen 5'9" 154 L TPS
32 Joonas Hallikainen 5'9" 154 L Jokerit

2 Markus Nordlund 6'5" 207 L Lukko
3 Rami Hovinen 6'3" 198 L HIFK
4 Otto Honkaheimo 6'1" 192 L Lukko
7 Ville Mäntymaa 6'3" 183 R Tappara (Anaheim)
25 Juha Uotila 6'0" 176 L HIFK
26 Juuso Hietanen 5'9" 168 R HPK
33 Eero Hyvärinen 5'11" 161 L JYP

9 Pasi Salonen 5'11" 181 L HIFK
10 Matti Uusivirta 6'2" 176 R Blues
14 Ville-Vesa Vainiola 6'2" 190 L Lukko
16 Arsi Piispanen 6'4" 172 R Jokerit (Blue Jackets)
18 Iivo Hokkanen 5'10" 163 L HPK
20 Tuomas Santavuori 5'11" 172 L Pelicans
21 Juho Keränen 5'9" 174 R Kärpät
22 Valtteri Tenkanen 5'11" 181 L JYP
23 Kim Nabb 5'9" 176 R Sport
24 Matias Keränen 6'0" 194 L Blues
27 Jesse Saarinen 5'8" 165 L Pelicans
29 Jussi Makkonen 6'4" 187 L TPS
34 Markku Flinck 6'1" 194 L Blues

All the top underaged players are in the U18 World Championships, so it's a strictly 85-born team.

Korkki
03-17-2004, 04:59 AM
Again it was seen that there is no entry from out-of-nowhere to any junior team. It is just because there is the same staff with the same age group all the time. They use the players which are listed in their papers since 15-years old and you can't come outside their list. It does not matter how you play unless you really become a superstar. The marginal players have no chance...

My point exactly is: Where is Petteri Tasku?
* Is he too small? Just 176 cm (there are smaller in the team)
* Hasn't he produced enough? (A bit under point/game)
(15. Tasku Petteri, Ässät A 38 20 12 32 28 32 -4 66 175 11,43) - Only Saarinen, Vainiola, Santavuori and Makkonen have more points on Junior A level
* Does he take too many penalties (There are guys who have more on the team)
* He plays for Ässät (probably the main reason)

I think he should be rewarded after a good season, but...

EDIT: eh, Teemu Nurmi has been replaced with Tuomas Santavuori

Jyssy
03-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Korkki, i am getting sick of you. You always whine why is not Ässät-nobodys selected to Finnish national teams. Ässät sucked this year in Junior A league so i dont see any reason that some Ässät-player should be selected. Thats like some player from SaiPa would be selected to finnish WC team. I could be whining why is not Kalle Kaijomaa selected to the team, or Ari Kovanen, or Jouni Virpiö, or Tuomo Laukkanen. JYP A junior team just won HIFK and went to finals. But i dont, i really think that this is the best team possible to play. Hey, there is life outside Pori. Rest of the Finland is not in alliance against Pori and Ässät. There are good players outside Pori too. I cant say everything i would like because my lack of english.

Korkki
03-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Jatkoaika is not enough! The poor HVM JYP boys are here too (HVM = hajuton, väritön, mauton which means equal that "nothing interesting")...

I didn't say I would like to have all Ässät players in the team, I am just meaning that maybe a guy with a good season would be rewarded a place where he could show his skills. I think there are two JYP-fellows already on the team so why do you complain?

And if only success counts LMK why there haven't been any Ässät players on U16 team though Ässät junior C made their way to the semifinals clearly beating Jokerit straight in two games (just to advise that there were over 600 spectators in Pori game cheering for Ässät - Pori is a hockey town). No, success does not count but I really wonder WHY Petteri Tasku is left out of the U19 team? Could you explain me that...

EDIT: and the meaning of "sucked" is not too obvious, with the team of that age they didn't suck in the meaning of the word. They actually have quite bright future ahead...

and BTW, you didn't catch the actual point of making the team from out of nowhere...

Padawan
03-17-2004, 01:21 PM
(just to advise that there were over 600 spectators in Pori game cheering for Ässät - Pori is a hockey town).

Just a quick note to that comment. Jyväskylä is also a hockey town more or less. We had 2872 spectators in the last JYP A-HIFK A game this season. JYP had the most people as spectators in average at A-juniors games this season.

For the rest. Petteri Tasku could be a member of that team but this time he's not. I would like to see Tasku there along with Aleksis Ahlqvist.

Jyssy
03-17-2004, 02:12 PM
It just seems that every time that no Ässät-players are selected to some national team, you are here whining about it. And i am not complaining, where did i complain? I said that i COULD be here whining about how this and that JYP player did not make the team, but i dont. And i believe that national team coaches have a larger view than you in finnish ice-hockey. And they are not homers. Sorry my bad english. And howcome JYP is a poor team? Again, for about 6 year in a row (Dont remember correctly), they finished better than Ässät in regular season :handclap: Or did you mean fans?

Korkki
03-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Again, for about 6 year in a row (Dont remember correctly), they finished better than Ässät in regular season :handclap: Or did you mean fans?
I guessed it that you would take this as your weapon. However, only for you two words: Laaksonen and Rantala. Though Ässät had enough bad luck and things outside the rink the hunt for playoffspot would have not been ended worse. First Laaksonen ruled out a totally true 0-2 goal in Tampere (even Tappara goalie told later it was a goal - I hate they took off the goal judges) then the appearance of Rantala in Blues game, simply one word: sucked! Ässät would have had chance against Jokerit, JYP didn't (opposite against Ilves)... But that's it, that is hockey. Next season new games...

And Ässät took points from JYP 11-2 so maybe JYP finished a point ahead but Ässät was clearly better in games between...

Jyssy, I have really complained about Tasku once earlier. And once when Mika Rontti was left out of U-20 team last season. Who has proven to be better this season, Rontti or Jalasvaara ...

Padawan, but 600 spectators in junior C, on junior A there would've been at least tripled attendance even in Pori... I would have also liked to see Ahlqvist in St Peterburg, he is surely better than Hallikainen or Santanen

EDIT: Jyssy if you mean by "whining" that I was demanding Rontti to Sweden Cup team in Jatkoaika that was just because the head coach Summanen said he will pick younger and less experienced team to Stockholm. Later it was seen that his picks weren't that young or green...

And you still haven't answered my question of coming out of nowhere...

Jyssy
03-17-2004, 11:33 PM
However, only for you two words: Laaksonen and Rantala. Though Ässät had enough bad luck and things outside the rink the hunt for playoffspot would have not been ended worse. First Laaksonen ruled out a totally true 0-2 goal in Tampere (even Tappara goalie told later it was a goal - I hate they took off the goal judges) then the appearance of Rantala in Blues game, simply one word: sucked! You`ve gotta be kidding... Because of Rantala and Laaksonen you did not make the playoffs? Every team had crappy referees in regular season. And that will be next season also, believe me... Again Ässät is the victim of big bad SM-liiga. Not only National team coaches are in alliance against Ässät, so are the referees. Ässät did not make the playoffs because they had 2 points less than JYP, how is it so hard for you to understand that?? Admit it, that was whining.

Ässät would have had chance against Jokerit, JYP didn't
Oh my god, this just keeps getting better and better. Based on what Ässät would have been better? JYP had a great regular season ending and they sucked against Jokerit. I cant see any reason Ässät would`ve been better. But we will never know, cause Ässät did not make the playoffs. If if and if (In finnish: Turhaa jossittelua)

Jyssy, I have really complained about Tasku once earlier. And once when Mika Rontti was left out of U-20 team last season. Who has proven to be better this season, Rontti or Jalasvaara ... Well, Jalasvaara played well in those games so can you say that his selection was a mistake?

Jyssy if you mean by "whining" that I was demanding Rontti to Sweden Cup team in Jatkoaika that was just because the head coach Summanen said he will pick younger and less experienced team to Stockholm. Later it was seen that his picks weren't that young or green...
Yeah, Rontti did not make the team? So? Neither did Jyri Marttinen, who had Rontti`s points almost in double at the regular season and a better plus-minus rating. Jyri also has better statistics from previous seasons. And he is also a NHL-draftee.

And you still haven't answered my question of coming out of nowhere Well, if the player is good enough, he will get noticed.
EDIT: Typos

Ströba
03-18-2004, 03:39 AM
Actually Eero Hyvärinen is coming from nowhere. He was in Pohjola-leiri but that's all about his national team career (if I remember right).

Batkorny
03-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Nurmi is out, he broke his arm in the semifinals (Tappara) against Jokerit...