Hockey shot vs. golf swing

Walkingthroughforest
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm right handed and have a left hand shot with hockey, but I recently started playing golf with my dad, and when I was trying out my swing at the store, I was suprised to find out I swing right. Is this usual for most people? I would have thought it would be the same hand.

noobman
04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm right handed and have a left hand shot with hockey, but I recently started playing golf with my dad, and when I was trying out my swing at the store, I was suprised to find out I swing right. Is this usual for most people? I would have thought it would be the same hand.

That's not unusual at all. My friend is actually a really good golfer (played CJGA and is going for some kind of golf sports management thing in college)... he shoots left in hockey but swings right in baseball and golf.

I'm actually the only person I know that's a leftie for every swing.

carcillorocks
04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
im right handed and play baseball and golf right handed, weird thing is i can play hockey left or right handed.

Buck Aki Berg
04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
My brother does the same thing

Redwingsfan
04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
That's not unusual at all. My friend is actually a really good golfer (played CJGA and is going for some kind of golf sports management thing in college)... he shoots left in hockey but swings right in baseball and golf.

Same here:)

Dr Turk
04-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Thats how its "supposed" to be. Alot of people think your dominant hand should be on top for hockey, making righties shoot lefty. That is generally the Canadian way to do it, with more Americans putting their dominant hand on bottom for better shots.

I shoot righty, but am right handed and golf righty.

ChemiseBleuHonnete
04-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Thats how its "supposed" to be. Alot of people think your dominant hand should be on top for hockey, making righties shoot lefty. That is generally the Canadian way to do it, with more Americans putting their dominant hand on bottom for better shots.

this.

znk
04-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Having your dominant hand on top means your strong arm holds the stick when you have one hand on it.

SixthSens
04-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Not unusual at all. I'm the same way.

vwg*
04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm sort of odd when it comes to golf. I shoot left in hockey, but I'm right handed at almost everything else, including golf.. I drive right handed but I can chip or put either right or left handed depending on the shot I'm taking.

TheGooooch
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM

yup. I started hockey and use my dominant hand (right) low in hockey.

But golf would be the same way that someone swings a baseball bat.

Old Time Sauce
04-12-2009, 10:18 PM
i know a few guys who use the same hand

FFApj88L8lI

Pure Rock Fury*
04-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Hockey shots and golf swings have pretty much nothing in common.

Backstrom #19
04-13-2009, 02:03 PM

I shoot left in hockey, swing left in baseball and golf. I write and throw right-handed.

Ghostbuster
04-13-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm am right handed across the board for everything. Although I am god awful at golf. I tend to baseball swing.

Pittsburgh Proud
04-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I' right handed. I play hockey lefty and golf righty. Just go with whatever is comfortable.

Stainless Soul
04-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Wow I never knew that. Guess that's what happens when you guys invent the game.

Devil Dancer
04-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Hockey shots and golf swings have pretty much nothing in common.

Not true. I learned to turn my hands over mid-swing in golf, and that gave me a great head start on my wrist shot. Weight transfer is also similar in both shots.

Ovechkid08
04-14-2009, 06:53 PM
I shoot left in hockey, swing left in baseball and golf. I write and throw right-handed.

exact same although I'm a decent switch in baseball and pretty much ambidextrous.

znk
04-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow I never knew that. Guess that's what happens when you guys invent the game.

I dont think he's right. Your best hand should be the top hand. It's the one that controls your stick. There's a good explenation there.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081105025344AAR95lv
... As you noticed or will notice, most players play left handed and most people are right handed. This can be explained by the fact the top hand is suppose to control the stick, only exception would be for a wrist shot. ...

... If you are stick handling or just moving with the puck, you should control the puck with the TOP hand and only use the other direct shaft and support the weight. You should cup the puck by rolling the wrists. This why the lower hand is supposed to be loose or so. ...

Pure Rock Fury*
04-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I dont think he's right. Your best hand should be the top hand. It's the one that controls your stick. There's a good explenation there.

But on that same token, the right arm is doing all of the guiding while only the left wrist is controlling at the top.

Which is better for the strong arm, the entire arm or the wrist? There is no right answer. People should go with what feels natural when they first pick up a stick and not overthink it.

Dr Turk
04-14-2009, 11:30 PM

Yeah thats what I said, your dominant hand “should” be on top. So right handed people would shoot lefty.

Scott19
04-15-2009, 12:58 AM

that's pretty much me but i throw left handed. Can't use a fork or knife in my left hand if my life depended on it, but i can throw with it with no problem.