Latendresse on the Big Line

Garry Valk
04-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Please Bob, NOT Laraque. Latendresse looked good in the corners, and he has played well with Koivu before. Latendresse has finish.

If it's not Tanguay Koivu Kovalev, then please make it Latendresse Koivu Kovalev.

Thoughts?

Andy
04-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Very simple

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev
Latendresse Lappiere Andrei
Higgins Metropolit Kostopoulos
Stewart Plekanec Laraque

Maliki2
04-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Very simple

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev
Stewart Plekanec Laraque

Unfortunately Bob has the case of Carboitis....the lines will be juggled all over the place.

Bill McNeal
04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
The only reason we're in the playoffs is because the line of Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev hauled our ***** into them down the stretch, so it baffles me that they get split up to start the series.

C4KOMI
04-17-2009, 11:33 AM
In Bob We Trust
until end of this series.

04-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Very simple

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev
Stewart Plekanec Laraque

I like this

It's sad that Lapierre has to be our 2nd line center but at this point he can't be worse than Plekanec. (and that's not a knock on Lapierre. He's great but he's not a 2nd line center).

We won't win any cups with this lineup but it's probably the best thing we can ice under the current circumstances. We just have to hope for the best.

Habs10Habs
04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
The whole purpose for putting BGL on the 1st line was to help neutralize Chara. Who is always matched up against our 1st line. Personally I think he did a very good job with that.

If we were to switch BGL with Latendresse, he would get killed in the match up against Chara and would be useless IMO.

Now I wasn't a big fan of BGL playing the majority of the game with Koivu and Kovalev. I felt that once the Bruins took the lead 3-2, Gainey should have abandoned the idea and slipped Tanguay back on the line.

7th Player
04-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I want these lines next game...

Laraque - Koivu - Kovalev (we don't have last change... so spread the offense)
Latendresse - Lapierre - Tanguay
Higgins - Metropolit - A.Kostitsyn
Kostopoulos - Plekanec - D'Agostini

ON THE PP!

A.Kostitsyn - Koivu - Kovalev
Tanguay - Schneider

Latendresse - Plekanec - D'Agostini
Hamrlik - Weber

Kriss E
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
As far as I'm concerned, we played a good game yesterday. If it weren't for a questionable call during the POs, the Bs wouldn't have scored. Kosto completely misread that play too.

I don't think we need to change the lines really. Like H10H said, the only thing I would have done differently is limit Laraque's time when we were down 3-2.
But seeing as the lines worked pretty much all night...I understand why Gainey didn't.

rudethedude66
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Please Bob, NOT Laraque. Latendresse looked good in the corners, and he has played well with Koivu before. Latendresse has finish.

If it's not Tanguay Koivu Kovalev, then please make it Latendresse Koivu Kovalev.

Thoughts?

iwas thinkin the same thing last night as i was gettin tired of watchin BGL stumble a bit. He was affective but he holds that line back.

TheCH*
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM
We need to keep our first line together, Chara plays half the game anyway so you can have lots of opportunity to have Laraque out there to agitate, but just do it with Plek and Kost please! Putting Laraque on with Koivu and Kovy completely sucks any chance of offense right out of them.

la25ecoupe
04-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I have better line:

Tangs - Saku - Kovy
Lats - Laps - Dags
Higs - Metro - AK46
Stew - Plek - Laraque

Bryson
04-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Very simple

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev
Stewart Plekanec Laraque

This x1000

I sometimes wish BG read HFBoards. ;)

Hawkguy
04-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't even care what the lines are the next game. Plekanec, likely, will have to play by default. He doesn't deserve to be dressed over D'Agostini, but he will be.

Bryson
04-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I have better line:

Tangs - Saku - Kovy
Lats - Laps - Dags
Higs - Metro - AK46
Stew - Plek - Laraque

I wouldn't have a problem with this either as long as pleks is playing on the 4th line. Kosto is a warrior true but he's got no finish. Then again I just remembered that he was our best player in the playoffs last year as funny as that sounds. Dags has the ability to turn it on and can make for a great x-factor. lats/laps could be the guys to help him do it.

Netro
04-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Interesting ideas posted here.

1 - While BGL worked on the big line, it is the TKO line that got us here so I would re-unite them.
2- Higgins may have been the best Hab last night and he works well with Metro. I like the idea of putting AKosty on this line
3- They may not have had their best game but I think the Lapierre line needs to remain intact and step it up
4-Unfortunately, Pleks is struggling, so he deserves to be on the 4th line. BGL needs to stay in the game and if healthy, I would add S. Kosty to the line-up. Otherwise Stewart or D'ago works

I think even though he is a rookie, it might be wise to replace Brisebois with Weber. Or, better yet, make the 4th line BGL-Pleks-Weber, so Weber can play on the PP.

TheCH*
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Why do we want BGL on to keep Chara away from Kovalev anyway?

Kovy has always had success against Chara..

Fish on The Sand
04-17-2009, 01:15 PM
We need to keep our first line together, Chara plays half the game anyway so you can have lots of opportunity to have Laraque out there to agitate, but just do it with Plek and Kost please! Putting Laraque on with Koivu and Kovy completely sucks any chance of offense right out of them.

Laraque isn't out there to agitate, he is out there to free Kovalev from Chara.

TheCH*
04-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Laraque isn't out there to agitate, he is out there to free Kovalev from Chara.

If you see my above post you'd know i know that.

Fish on The Sand
04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
If you see my above post you'd know i know that.

my aplogies, and the reason why we want Kovalev to be Chara free is simple. Would you rather have Chara defending our top forward or Alberts?

TheCH*
04-17-2009, 01:33 PM
my aplogies, and the reason why we want Kovalev to be Chara free is simple. Would you rather have Chara defending our top forward or Alberts?

By "freeing" Kovalev from Chara, the repercussions just aren't worth it. You are:
-moving Kovy to his off wing
-playing Laraque on the top line which will only drag them down
-breaking up a line which led us into the playoffs
-Again, Kovy has always had success against Chara

Habs 4 Life
04-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Alberts is in Philly;)

ari1160
04-17-2009, 01:43 PM
if pleks line were producing i wouldn't mind Laraque on first line but its not.

Hackett
04-17-2009, 02:46 PM
The whole purpose for putting BGL on the 1st line was to help neutralize Chara. Who is always matched up against our 1st line. Personally I think he did a very good job with that.

If we were to switch BGL with Latendresse, he would get killed in the match up against Chara and would be useless IMO.

Now I wasn't a big fan of BGL playing the majority of the game with Koivu and Kovalev. I felt that once the Bruins took the lead 3-2, Gainey should have abandoned the idea and slipped Tanguay back on the line.

I think Gainey is thinking more long term with the chara/laraque matchup. We wont know if this strategy is successul until at least game 4 or 5. Perhaps he wants to wear chara out more before he starts sticking tanguay back on the line. Anyways, I feel that games 3 and 4 will primarily feature tanguay with koivu and kovalev as gainey can avoid the chara matchup with the last change.

My concern is not the job that laraque is doing. I think he's doing the best he can. Rather, my concern is how this change affects kovalev. Laraque is a dump and chase guy who likes to create by working down low. Kovalev likes to play the transition game and create chances off the rush. With one less option, kovalev cannot play his game.

So, do we let chara have his way with the top line and see what happens, or do we continually grind on chara and hopefully, reap the rewards as the series progresses?

I'm having a tough time to decide myself.

crakced
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Anyone else notice when Kovalev has been on the ice with Lapierre and Lantendresse, that they create good scoring chances. It happened once last night and it also happened the other game against Pittsburgh. That is something I would try if we need to get scoring from more than just the one line.

Hackett
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Anyone else notice when Kovalev has been on the ice with Lapierre and Lantendresse, that they create good scoring chances. It happened once last night and it also happened the other game against Pittsburgh. That is something I would try if we need to get scoring from more than just the one line.

I agree, it wouldnt be a bad idea to double shift kovalev every now and then to keep chara on his toes. He doesn't have to play with koivu or laraque all the time.

Gainey needs to be creative here to keep julien and his line matching tactics out of sync.

Kafka
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Have you seen Chara's face when he realized he was going to face Laraque and not Kovalev? Gainey should have put a better winger to that line after the third goal, but still, I liked what I saw. Tanguay with Higgins created scoring chances (and a goal). Giving Gainey FOUR scoring lines.

I say Gainey should keep things like they are, replace D'Agostini by Stewart... or call up Patioretty. I am sure Patioretty would be less intimitated than D'Agostini.

la25ecoupe
04-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Have you seen Chara's face when he realized he was going to face Laraque and not Kovalev? Gainey should have put a better winger to that line after the third goal, but still, I liked what I saw. Tanguay with Higgins created scoring chances (and a goal). Giving Gainey FOUR scoring lines.

I say Gainey should keep things like they are, replace D'Agostini by Stewart... or call up Patioretty. I am sure Patioretty would be less intimitated than D'Agostini.

But how did Dags score 2 goals last time?

Habber09
04-17-2009, 09:00 PM
The only reason we're in the playoffs is because the line of Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev hauled our ***** into them down the stretch, so it baffles me that they get split up to start the series.

Ya man, i'm pretty confused with that also. Let those three free, lets see the experience take over. It will make the rest of the team feel comfortable as well. We are in this series fellas. Hold on, it will be a bumpy ride!!

Kafka
04-17-2009, 11:32 PM
But how did Dags score 2 goals last time?
Have you seen the game? The kid looked scared to death. On his first shift, he let the Dman go first in the corner instead of skating right to the corner to take the hit. It was his first NHL playoffs game, and yes, his dipper was filled after the game. Hopefully, if he is given a second chance, he won't be afraid to put his nose where it has to be.

Slick Nick
04-17-2009, 11:45 PM
I would tell him: don't try to make a play.. go on the ice.. use your intuition.. set a trap... and hit Savard hard, really hard.. if not Savard, Bergeron, he's a Habs hating ex-nordique, he's not one of ours.. or Krejci.. hit some one hard.

Native
04-18-2009, 12:49 AM
I'd prefer to keep the most effective lines intact and double shift Tanguay and Kovalev on the fly. Latendresse should stay on his original line. He's hitting and physically capable as I've seen guys bounce off and him knocking guys down. However, he really needs to take it to the next level, drive the net hard and bang away.

Tanguay Koivu Kovalev
Higgins Metropolit AK46
Latendresse Lapierre Kostopoulos
D'Agostini Plekanec Laraque

1st Line: The top line got us into the playoffs and need as much time together as possible. I'd still throw in Laraque with Saku/Kovy from time to time.

2nd Line: I think this could be a very effective line. AK46 needs time away from Plekanec. The intensity and focus of both Higgy and Metro can really help AK46 get out of his funk. He showed some flashes last game and I think a change of scenery will definitely help him. Plus, he'll be the main shooter on this line.

3rd Line: The Lapierre line, imo, have established their chemistry and I wouldn't disrupt it. Although, I do think Stewy can fill in Kostopoulos' spot. Kovy can be double shifted here (Kosto's spot)

4th Line: Well, these 3 should have the least amount of ice time. Plecs simply hasn't earned it, and all three I'd consider, at this moment, the biggest defensive liabilities in the forward position. I think I'd double shift Tanguay (Laraque's spot) just to see if it will help Plecs.