[FIN] Finnish transfers, "summer" of 2004 *No rumors*

eh
03-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Once again, I copied an idea from the Swedish board: in this thread we list and discuss all transfers inside, from and to SM-liiga, Mestis and U20 SM-liiga. Only confirmed transfers with a reliable source should be listed, this shouldn't be turned into a rumour mill.

So far:

Juha Pursiainen SaiPa -> retired
Pekka Tirkkonen Linköping (Sweden) -> KalPa (Mestis)
Teemu Kuusisto Sport (Mestis) -> Jokerit
Aleksander Barkov Tappara -> retired
Vesa Viitakoski Ilves -> Brynäs (Sweden)
Simo Vidgren KalPa (Mestis) -> Ilves
Tero Leinonen JYP -> Habarovsk (Russia, tryout)
Tero Paappanen Pelicans -> Habarovsk (Russia, tryout)

Jyssy
03-29-2004, 05:33 AM
Jani Kiviharju, TPS Turku --> Mulhouse, France
Martin Bergeron, Ässät Pori --> Sveitsi, Switzerland

Edit: Is Vidgren`s transfer confirmed?

Batkorny
03-30-2004, 05:05 AM
Tapparan edustusjoukkueesta varmasti ovat siirtymässä muihin seuroihin tai lopettavat Petri Varis, Mike Stapleton, Dale Clarke, Miska Kangasniemi, Aleksander Barkov ja Arto Kuki.

Source: www.tappara.fi

ES
04-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Mika Viinanen: Lukko -> Tappara, 3 year contract

Padawan
04-05-2004, 09:33 AM
Ossi Louhivaara from KooKoo, Kouvola to JYP Jyväskylä (2 year contract)
Arsi Piispanen from Jokerit, Helsinki to JYP Jyväskylä (2 year contract)
Sinuhe Wallinheimo from Färjestäd, Sweden to JYP Jyväskylä (1 year contract)
Pauli Piippo for Jokipojat, Joensuu to JYP Jyväskylä (3 year contract)

Louhivaara was drafted by Ottawa Senators round 8 #260 overall 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Piispanen was drafted by Columbus Blue Jackets round 5 #138 overall 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Pauli Piippo is very promising player. He will be playing with the JYP A-junior team.

Wallinheimo currently plays in the Swedish Elitserien finals.

Padawan
04-05-2004, 10:18 AM
You must be happy about this... Piispanen might get some serious icetime on JyP...
Wallinheimo is pretty good too.

I am. Piispanen, Louhivaara, two very promising young players. Both players chose JYP according to a press release and that makes me happier. Piispanen could have stayed in Jokerit but he wanted to come to Jyväskylä. Louhivaara could've chose HPK or TPS instead of JYP.

Wallinheimo is going to be our number one for next season. Damn good goalie I might add.

ES
04-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Sebastian Sulku: Blues -> Brynäs, SWE

Stidi
04-05-2004, 11:01 AM
Jyp has now plenty of young promising players in their roster. Interesting to see who will emerge alreaydy in next season.

Pekka Lampinen
04-06-2004, 02:40 AM
Arsi Piispanen from Jokerit, Helsinki to JYP Jyväskylä (2 year contract)

Oh, so that's how it goes, send the juniors to be developed by other teams, then steal them back when they're ready to contribute?! Can't Holtari be persuaded to take Latvala and Vertala instead?

This complicates - or simplifies - the situation in Jokerit. There is no one in juniors who could be called up to play center, so they'll have to acquire a fourth line center now. Whether it would've been smart to have Piispanen play that position was unclear.

Padawan
04-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Oh, so that's how it goes, send the juniors to be developed by other teams, then steal them back when they're ready to contribute?! Can't Holtari be persuaded to take Latvala and Vertala instead?

Well, Piispanen went to Jokerit at C-junior age because his father went to work in Helsinki. He has been wanting back for sometime now. I think we can take Vertala also if he is available. :D

Padawan
04-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Marko Tuulola HPK -> Rapperswil
Mikko Eloranta TPS -> Rapperswil

Both players have been captains of their respective teams so this is a huge blow to each team imo.

Padawan
04-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Mikko Jokela is coming to HPK?

Please, no rumors in this thread.

Padawan
04-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Arto Tukio Jokerit, Helsinki -> Frölunda Indians, Sweden

Padawan
04-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Veli-Pekka Laitinen Brynäs, Elitserien -> HPK, Hämeenlinna
Jukka-Pekka Laamanen Ilves, Tampere -> HPK, Hämeenlinna
Miika Wiikman Hermes (Mestis) -> HPK, Hämeenlinna

Jussi
04-07-2004, 07:19 PM
This complicates - or simplifies - the situation in Jokerit. There is no one in juniors who could be called up to play center, so they'll have to acquire a fourth line center now. Whether it would've been smart to have Piispanen play that position was unclear.

It also means that we don't have to worry about players missing league games because of the WJC, because we probably won't have any players in that tournament. Now, whether that's a good thing... :dunno:

Chevy Cheveldae
04-10-2004, 05:01 AM
:banghead: Now I really hope TPS gets either Rintanen or Kallio...

i belive Kallio signed an extension with Frölunda a couple of weeks ago

Padawan
04-13-2004, 09:10 AM
Mika Niskanen HV-71, Sweden -> Blues, Espoo
Kari Haakana MoDo, Sweden -> Blues, Espoo
Kimmo Peltonen TPS, Turku -> HV-71, Sweden
Jarkko Glad Ässät, Pori -> Skellefteå, Sweden (Allsvenskan)
Jussi Timonen, TPS -> SaiPa, Lappeenranta

Edit: Two players added

ES
04-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Ted Sator (Blues assistant coach) -> Slovenia (academy in Ljubljana)

Padawan
04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Teemu Laine Jokerit, Helsinki -> Tappara, Tampere (3 year contract)

Jussi
04-13-2004, 11:53 AM

:banghead: :cry:

Jokerit Wasp
04-13-2004, 02:21 PM
:cry:
Good luck to him though, i hope he gets more ice time then he did at Jokerit over the past couple of seasons, he deserves it!

Padawan
04-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Jani Hassinen HV-71, Sweden -> HPK, Hämeenlinna

Jyssy
04-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Marko Kiprusoff signs a 4-year contract with TPS
Source: www.jatkoaika.com

Guy Flaming
04-14-2004, 01:03 PM
I have been told by the Edmonton Oilers that Jesse Niinimaki is likely to sign with TPS Turku. (Excerpt from my interview with Kevin Prendergast below). My question is if this would be a positive move for Niinimaki.

While Mikhnov appears headed for North America, the same cannot be said for Jesse Niinimaki.

“He’s in the process of signing with TPS Turku and I think from the standpoint of, ‘if there is no NHL next year’, I think he has to get back playing again,” confessed Prendergast. “His agent is going to let us know, they’re in the negotiation stage and when it gets really serious then they’re going to talk to us and see what our plans are for him. I hope to talk to him when I’m over there on this trip.”

MaV
04-14-2004, 01:21 PM
I have been told by the Edmonton Oilers that Jesse Niinimaki is likely to sign with TPS Turku. (Excerpt from my interview with Kevin Prendergast below). My question is if this would be a positive move for Niinimaki.

This is what many posters in Finnish boards have been wondering: was Mr. Prendergast really trying to say that Niinimäki is about to change team, or could it possibly be that he just didn't remember correctly where Jesse plays? I believe you could know this as the interviewer.

Would it be a good move? Who knows, Ilves has also very good coaching staff. But maybe move to Turku where he would be a lesser known guy would make him concentrate even more to hockey.

Guy Flaming
04-14-2004, 01:30 PM
This is what many posters in Finnish boards have been wondering: was Mr. Prendergast really trying to say that Niinimäki is about to change team, or could it possibly be that he just didn't remember correctly where Jesse plays? I believe you could know this as the interviewer.

I wasn't under the impression that Prendergast just mixed up Ilves and Turku. The situation with Jesse has been on the front burner for most of the year and the Oilers stay in pretty close contact with him. I don't think he would make such an error... but I suppose that's not impossible either.

Korkki
04-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Would it be a good move? Who knows, Ilves has also very good coaching staff. But maybe move to Turku where he would be a lesser known guy would make him concentrate even more to hockey.
But if the lockout occurs next season, TPS may have three centers over Niinimäki (it depends if Mikko goes to Minnesota affiliate) and fourth line centering is not the thing Jesse needs right now.

Padawan
04-14-2004, 04:49 PM
I have been told by the Edmonton Oilers that Jesse Niinimaki is likely to sign with TPS Turku.

Likely=speculation=rumor. This thread is for facts only. Not for rumours. Please, no more rumors in this thread. There are different threads for those and if there isn't, start one.

Guy Flaming
04-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Likely=speculation=rumor. This thread is for facts only. Not for rumours. Please, no more rumors in this thread. There are different threads for those and if there isn't, start one.

Um.... it's from the EDMONTON OILERS... I provided better than a link!!!! I gave you a DIRECT QUOTE from the VP of Hockey Operations!!!

What more could you possibly want???

I could understand if I said it was something I got from a friend of my uncle's next dorr neighbour's barber but come on!

I did the interview for Pete's sake! :banghead:

Padawan
04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Tom Koivisto, St. Louis Blues -> Frölunda Indians, Sweden. (2 year contract)
This is reported in Jatkoaika.com

Flonaldo
04-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Mikko Jokela from the 'Nucks organization confirmed for HPK, one-year deal.

Padawan
04-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Mikko Luovi from Lukko, Rauma to Brynäs IF, Sverige.
(Brynäs has contracted six Finns to date for next season)

Padawan
04-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Jokerit announced some player contracts.
Kari Martikainen Rapperswil, Switzerland -> Jokerit, Helsinki
Toni Dahlman Ilves, Tampere -> Jokerit, Helsinki
Petri Varis Tappara, Tampere -> Jokerit, Helsinki
Arto Kuki Tappara, Tampere -> Jokerit, Helsinki
Juha Lind Södertälje, Sweden -> Jokerit, Helsinki

Jokerit also has cancelled few contracts earlier.
Jussi Pesonen Jokerit, Helsinki -> Contract cancelled
Tommi Turunen Jokerit, Helsinki -> Contract cancelled
Markus Helanen Jokerit, Helsinki -> Contract cancelled

pihinalle
04-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Petri Varis Tappara, Tampere -> Jokerit, Helsinki

Great job Jokerit! :lol

Padawan
04-19-2004, 02:44 PM
I don't know how I missed this one.
Teemu Kuusisto Sport, Vaasa (Mestis) -> Jokerit, Helsinki

Velho
04-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Pasi Nielikäinen SaiPa, Lappeenranta -> Ässät, Pori

ES
04-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Mikko Rautee: TPS -> Leksand, Sweden (Allsvenskan)

ES
04-22-2004, 05:57 AM
Mentioned in rumour thread, now confirmed:

Ville Snellman: Ilves -> Lukko
Shayne Toporowski: Ilves -> Lukko

Korkki
04-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Ässät confirmed the transfers of Pasi Nielikäinen (1 year) and Aki Uusikartano (2 years) from SaiPa today.

EDIT: Also a backup goalie was supposed to be confirmed today, but I didn't see his name yet anywhere so I don't want to say any names.

gopher
04-22-2004, 06:33 PM
oliver setzinger signed a 2-year contract with hpk

Korkki
04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Jussi Pesonen, who was also in talks with Ässät (his former coach Mika Toivola) signed today with Ilves Tampere

eh
04-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Pelicans Lahti announced the contracts of Erik Kakko (Frölunda) and Markus Helanen (Jokerit) today.

Raimo Sillanpää
04-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Pretty good signings. Maybe the rumours of new russian management is coming true...

Wasn't that jatkoaika's april fools day joke?

eh
04-27-2004, 08:42 AM
Pretty good signings. Maybe the rumours of new russian management is coming true...
From the Pelicans site: "the acquisition of Kakko was sponsored by T:mi Lauri Paatelainen, Marakon, Padasjoen Säästöpankki, Autoputsi + kumppanit ja Liukkosen Pultti." I know nothing about these companies, but I'm pretty sure they aren't part of any Russian management group.

Andy.B
04-27-2004, 05:29 PM
I was thinking more getting the team to look good before the russians step in, to make them want the team more.
i thought the Pelicans had severe financial problems??There ws even talk of them dropping out of SM-Liiga?

barrytrotzsneck
04-28-2004, 12:14 AM
oliver setzinger signed a 2-year contract with hpk

hm, could that affect the possibility of oliver coming to north america this fall, barring a lockout?

he was, along with brandon segal, our best forward in training camp among rookies, last year(although shishkanov and upshall weren't really there) and was told to play one more year in finland, then he could start out with Milwaukee and go from there to maybe get a shot with Nashville. if he were to sign over here, would that null his obligation to the sm-liiga?

Pekka Lampinen
04-28-2004, 03:01 AM
If he were to sign over here, would that null his obligation to the sm-liiga?

Yes, but in turn, the lockout would release him to play anywhere he wants as long as it lasts. He can still play in the AHL next season, though.

ES
04-28-2004, 08:32 AM
Viktor Ujcik: Sparta Praha -> Kärpät, 2 year contract

Mikko Haapakoski will be assistant coach of Kärpät next year.

Korkki
04-29-2004, 06:26 AM
Steve Larouche DEL -> lukko.

The first star acquirement of lukko (or not?)

ES
04-29-2004, 07:32 AM
Ville Viitaluoma: HIFK -> SaiPa
Antti Hilden: Hermes (Mestis) -> HPK

About Larouche, he had good stats in NHL, but he was not able to be full-time NHLer.

Padawan
04-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Sami Salonen KalPa, Mestis -> Pelicans, Lahti

Pelicans has cancelled the contract of young and promising goalkeeper Mikko Rämö.

Padawan
05-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Martin Bergeron Ässät, Pori -> HC La Chaux-de-Fonds, France (B-League)
Jan Caloun Blues, Espoo -> Severstal Tsherepovets, Russia*
Miska Kangasniemi Tappara, Tampere -> Malmö Redhawks, Sweden**

*Despite Jan Caloun had a contract for next season with the Blues, he decided to sign a contract with Severstal Tsherepovets.

**Kangasniemi had already signed a contract with Leksand. In that contract he had a "relegation clause". Leksand was relegated to Allsvenskan and thus the contract was cancelled. He then later signed with Malmö Redhawks.

Gilgames
05-05-2004, 02:41 AM
New players of Pelicans:

G Jaakko Suomalainen, KooKoo (Mestis)
- 25-years-old and firt time in SM-liiga. No NHL-future.

G Karri Rämö, Pelicans A-juniors (highest junior level)
- Promising young (-86) goalie, was the member of Finland U-18 in World Championships this year

D Antti-Pekka Lamberg, HIFK (SM-liiga)
- 22-years-old, big stay-at-home d-man. No NHL-future.

C Sami Salonen, KalPa (Mestis)
- 27-years-old center with good skills and decent kating. No NHL-future.

F Pasi Salonen, HIFK A-juniors
- One of the mot promising young offensive players in Finland. Will be draft eligible this summer. His transfer was a huge surprise. :handclap: :banana: :handclap:

Padawan
05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Um.... it's from the EDMONTON OILERS... I provided better than a link!!!! I gave you a DIRECT QUOTE from the VP of Hockey Operations!!!

What more could you possibly want???

I could understand if I said it was something I got from a friend of my uncle's next dorr neighbour's barber but come on!

I did the interview for Pete's sake! :banghead:

There was a little debate on this earlier. Could this be valid information? Well, it wasn't. Jesse Niinimäki has signed with Ilves, Tampere. His contract is for the next season. Tommi Jäminki also signed a contract with Ilves. His contract is 1+1 years.

Owen
05-10-2004, 01:37 AM
Why did Pursiainen retire? Isn't he only like 22 years old?

Padawan
05-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Why did Pursiainen retire? Isn't he only like 22 years old?
Something like that, yes. He just didn't have the passion to play hockey anymore. He wanted to different things and decided to quit professional ice hockey.

Pekka Lampinen
05-11-2004, 02:59 PM
G Iiro Tarkki from Lukko to Hermes (Mestis)

I can see WJC logos flasing in his eyes like dollar symbols as he strides in Mikael Vuorio's footsteps. :)

Korhonen
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
KalPa have signed four new players: Max Kenig (HPK), Kasper Kenig (Sport), Matti Kuusisto (Jukurit) and Sami Kaartinen (Grenoble, FRA) will join KalPa next season. Defenders Jussi Savolainen and Pekka Parviainen have both extended their contracs with KalPa.

I'm not sure if somebody has already corrected this but unlike mentioned in this thread earlier Pekka Tirkkonen won't be joining KalPa. He has signed a contract to Denmark.

Padawan
05-13-2004, 07:30 AM
TPS has signed Jari Kauppila from Leksand, Sweden and Kimmo Eronen from Frölunda, Sweden.

jj_fin
05-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Toni Sihvonen has signed a 1-year contract with Kärpät Oulu.
He didn't play at all last year, but 2 years ago he played for Jokerit and he broke Tuomo Ruutu's knee.

He had a try-out contract with Kärpät and now he got a permanent deal.

ES
05-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Tomas Kucharcik leaves HPK. He won Aarne Honkavaara (goal-scoring leader) and Veli-Pekka Ketola (scoring leader) trophies in 2003.

Jokerit has signed center Quinn Hancock (formerly in Lukko) and goalie Tim Thomas.

Korkki
05-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Ässät finally confirmed officially the names that most insiders have known for weeks...

Tuomas Nissinen, Goalie from Ilves, a StL draftee
Aki Heino, Defender from Pelicans/HPK
Marko Toivonen, Defender from HPK, originally from Rauma
Mika Niemi, Center from Ilves

Korhonen
05-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Is Langow still continueing in Ässät? I was just wondering if that was the best possible move to Nissinen because if Langow continues as a number one it means that Nissinen won't get that many games that he probably would need now. I personally was expecting him to move to Mestis and maybe to Jukurit.

Predatore
05-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Marko Kauppinen leaves TPS Turku and will play for Mora in the SEL next season.

Padawan
05-21-2004, 08:50 AM
Ismo Kuoppala Esbjerg, Denmark -> Ilves, Tampere

J.D Forrest Boston University, USA -> Saipa, Lappeenranta
Mika Skyttä Manchester Phoenix, England -> Saipa, Lappeenranta
Mikko Silvennoinen Jokerit A juniors -> Saipa, Lappeenranta

psycho_dad
05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Martin Bartek, Slovakia Zvolen-> Lukko, Rauma

Korkki
05-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Antti Boman, Ässät -> Frisk Tigers, Norway

Korhonen, at far as I know Langkow will play for Ässät next season. I think this is a good move for Nissinen, because last season proved that Langkow will not be able to play 56 games and Ässät needs a decent backup. Very probably Langkow will leave after next season and Nissinen would be the future starter if his backup assignments will go well. He is a good backup as he proved in Ilves, but last season was not that good.

Raimo Sillanpää
05-25-2004, 07:32 AM
His numbers are huge! A goalscorer who can get physical? Rauma to get out of the bottom of the league?

I like what the traditionally bad teams have done in the offseason this far...

Very nice pickup, I'm impressed with Lukko.. with Rautakorpi at the helm, this season they won't be swept in the playoffs..

Jokerit Wasp
05-25-2004, 10:50 AM
His numbers are huge! A goalscorer who can get physical? Rauma to get out of the bottom of the league?

He has spent most of his career in the ECHL, a league not as good as the SM-Liiga, so im not too sure about him. He's still young though.

Ste'
05-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Martin Bartek, Slovakia Zvolen-> Lukko, Rauma

IMHO he's a good leftwinger for the attack, often he's unreliable in a defense situation.

psycho_dad
05-25-2004, 12:00 PM

Uhh...

Lukko was 5th last season. Granted that they were picking up the pieces for some years after the Bosman decision messed their economy but they were one of the top 4 teams 8-9 years ago, constantly. Also top 4 in player salaries. Lukko is a rich team by Finnish league standards.

After finishing 5th, I would not say they have to get out of the bottom of the league. Actually, the official goal for next year is to do better in regular season and go deep in the playoffs. Better in regular season would mean 1-4.

Right now the roster suggests that its more than possible but we'll see...

I am expecting nothing less than a medal.

Padawan
05-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Lukko is a rich team by Finnish league standards.

Lukko has my sympathies but isn't so that Lukko itself isn't rich but the association that owns Lukko and another big company is?

psycho_dad
05-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Lukko has my sympathies but isn't so that Lukko itself isn't rich but the association that owns Lukko and another big company is?

Basically Lukko (or "raumalaiskiekkoilun tuki") owns RTK service, a nationwide cleaning company which is quite loaded. And that companys main purpose is to support Lukko.

IFK
06-02-2004, 06:28 AM
Tommi Santala HIFK 2004-2005.

Padawan
06-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Tommi Santala HIFK 2004-2005.
Let's correct this to way it should be...

Tommi Santala from Atlanta Trashers to HIFK, Helsinki.
Santala signed a contract but it has a NHL clause which means he can move to the NHL if he recieves a "good enough" contract. The contract is for two years.

Padawan
06-03-2004, 05:03 AM
Lucas Lawson from New York Rangers to Ilves, Tampere.

Lawson didn't play with the Rangers but he did sign a three year contract with them in 2003. He played mostly in the AHL team Hartford Wolf Packs and the ECHL team Charlotte Checkers.

Pekka Lampinen
06-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Reportedly Ilves is looking for only one more winger, and no star either. Rajamäki, Leino, Suvanto, Pesonen, Lawson... like a butter knife.

eh
06-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Tomi Pettinen, Islanders/Sound Tigers => Lukko Rauma, one year contract with an option of second year.

Lukko has a solid top four now and overall their defense is one of the best in the league.

FINNtastic
06-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Sami Helenius signed a one-year contract with Ilves. :amazed:

Padawan
06-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Teemu Kesä from Lukko, Rauma to New Jersey Devils.

Luoma
06-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Mikko Luoma from Toronto Roadrunners/Edmonton Oilers to MIF Redhawks.

Robertsson 4-ever
06-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Teemu Kesä from Lukko, Rauma to New Jersey Devils.

I know this isn't the thread for this, but what can be said about Kesä? Position? Age? Career? Potential?

Is he the first "new" finn to sign with NHL this year?

Korkki
06-09-2004, 01:42 PM
I know this isn't the thread for this, but what can be said about Kesä? Position? Age? Career? Potential?

Teemu Kesä, 23 years old. Solid and quite tough stay-at-home defender. Career has been full of minor injuries and he has played mostly in 2nd or 3rd pairing. His potential is 3rd pairing in NHL at its best. Probably something around 10 NHL games for his career is my prediction, but hopefully I am wrong.

Andy.B
06-16-2004, 02:01 AM
Where can I find a list of all SM-Liiga rosters?Would it be on SM-Liigas webpages? :help:

barrytrotzsneck
06-16-2004, 02:04 AM
Where can I find a list of all SM-Liiga rosters?Would it be on SM-Liigas webpages? :help:

www.hockeydb.com

you can get rosters, as of this past season. you COULD go to team pages, but translating finnish can be difficult.

(you guys are really fond of double vowels :D )

Flonaldo
06-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Where can I find a list of all SM-Liiga rosters?Would it be on SM-Liigas webpages? :help:We carry all of the up-to-date SM-liiga rosters @ Jatkoaika: http://www.jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php?joukkue=Blues&sivu=pelaajat

Just click on the teams' names on the left to look at all the teams.

Andy.B
06-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Thanks Guys.

Is there a limit to the amount of imported players in SM-Liiga? or does the restriction just apply to non-EU players?

Padawan
06-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Is there a limit to the amount of imported players in SM-Liiga?
Yes, there is a limit of max five foreign players per team. SM-Liiga's board of directors are planning to drop the limit to three foreign players per team but that's just talk at this point. If they are going to change it, it will be after the 04-05 season at the earliest.

Korkki
06-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Padawan you're wrong. The correct amount of allowed foreigners in Finland is FOUR! It was five last season, but was dropped for next season. I think it is also officially announced already.

Padawan
06-17-2004, 05:19 AM
Padawan you're wrong. The correct amount of allowed foreigners in Finland is FOUR! It was five last season, but was dropped for next season. I think it is also officially announced already.
That's right, I compeletely forgot that one. It was five last season and it is four in the next season. I apologize.

Padawan
06-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Few transfers:

Tomi Pöllänen from Ässät, Pori to Frisk Tigers, Norway
Jussi Pesonen from Jokerit, Helsinki to Ilves, Tampere
Tommi Turunen from Jokerit, Helsinki to Ilves, Tampere

Padawan
06-21-2004, 04:32 AM
Vladimir Machulda from Kärpät, Oulu to Himik, Russia
Marek Vorel from Ilves, Tampere to HC Znojmestí Orl, Czech rep.

ES
06-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Landon Wilson from Pittsburgh to Espoo Blues.

FINNtastic
07-02-2004, 05:41 AM
Donald MacLean from Syracuse Crunch to Blues Espoo

07-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Wilson and MacLean, I like those signings :yo:

Velho
07-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Frank Banham from Moscow Dynamo to SaiPa Lappeenranta

FINNtastic
07-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Brad Smyth from Kärpät to Los Angeles Kings
Brett Lievers (Kärpät) retired
Tommi Santala from HIFK to Atlanta Thrashers
Daniel Tkaczuk from Lukko to Milano Vipers

Korkki
07-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Latvian international captain Vyacheslav Fandul from Ässät, Pori -> Sport, Vaasa (tier 2)

Andy.B
07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
Will Scott Langkow be Assat's #1 again next year Korrki?

Ste'
07-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Tomi Källarsson from Ilves to Milano Vipers (ITA)

Korkki
07-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Will Scott Langkow be Assat's #1 again next year Korrki?
Yes he will. But because Ässät lost most of the games last season when Langkow was injured they acquired a StL pick Tuomas Nissinen from Ilves as backup.

Ässät also acquired a center from Milwaukee (Nashville) named Greg Classen.

FINNtastic
07-26-2004, 12:12 PM
Zdenek Nedved from Hannover Scorpions(GER) to Oulun Kärpät

Padawan
08-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Eero Somervuori from Tampa Bay Lightning to Kärpät, Oulu.

Somervuori played mostly in AHL team Hamilton Bulldogs.

zecke26
08-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Eero Somervuori from Tampa Bay Lightning to Kärpät, Oulu.

Somervuori played mostly in AHL team Hamilton Bulldogs.

so somervuori's NHL dreams are over? sad because i think he could've become a good NHLer.

mikkoz
08-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Robert Kantor from HIFK to Tappara

Padawan
08-03-2004, 01:17 PM
so somervuori's NHL dreams are over?
Not likely. Check the Lightning board for more info.

Padawan
08-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Steve Kariya from Albany River Rats (AHL) has signed with Ilves, Tampere a one year deal. Paul Kariya is Steve's brother.

08-10-2004, 03:32 AM
Pasi Nurminen from Atlanta Trashers to Pelicans Lahti in case of lockout.

gib
08-16-2004, 07:35 AM
Steve Kariya from Albany River Rats (AHL) has signed with Ilves, Tampere a one year deal. Paul Kariya is Steve's brother.

Patrik Stefan from Trashers will also play for Ilves, but only if there will be lockout.

TK79
08-17-2004, 09:04 AM
Jani Rita to HPK in case of lockout.

Padawan
08-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Patrik Stefan from Trashers will also play for Ilves, but only if there will be lockout.
This one is not yet confirmed. So it's still a rumor.

psycho_dad
08-18-2004, 06:08 AM
Esa Pirnes from L.A Kings to Rauman lukko in case of lockout. Wonder why this was not mentioned before?

Korkki
08-18-2004, 08:36 AM
I thought I wrote about the Pirnes case on the Pitsiturnaus day, but I think I just forgot it.

Anyway, Pauli Levokari from Pittsburgh affiliate comes back to home Ässät. I don't know what kind of deal this is (lockout or not), but I think it makes Ässät defence even more tougher next season.

Other Finnish lockout contracts are Sami Kapanen and Kimmo Timonen to KalPa Kuopio (tier 2 league) as expected. They are co-owners of that team. However they will join KalPa after the Christmas break if the lockout still continues.

Padawan, I understood that the Stefan thing is for sure if lockout occurs.

Padawan
08-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Padawan, I understood that the Stefan thing is for sure if lockout occurs.
According to Ilves, nothing has been signed yet. So it is still a rumor.

Petey21
08-23-2004, 07:40 PM
I know this isn't a rumor thread, but does anyone have any info on where Finnish goalies Juuso Riksman and Kimmo Vesa will play next? Both played for MoDo in Sweden last season, but so far I haven't heard of any new destination for them.

Predatore
09-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Speedy Swedish defenseman Peter Messa is on tryout with Ilves I believe.

Padawan
09-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Steve Martins from the St.Louis Blues organization to JYP, Jyväskylä.

Andy.B
09-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Kristian Taubert.

Nottingham Panthers to Italian League(Can't recall which team tho) :banghead:

debo82
09-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Kristian Taubert.

Nottingham Panthers to Italian League(Can't recall which team tho) :banghead:

The name is HCAlleghe?

debo82
09-14-2004, 09:23 AM
I know this isn't a rumor thread, but does anyone have any info on where Finnish goalies Juuso Riksman and Kimmo Vesa will play next? Both played for MoDo in Sweden last season, but so far I haven't heard of any new destination for them.

Juuso Riksman , now play in Italy whit HC ALLEGHE....

09-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Olli Jokinen to Kloten Flyers, Switzerland, 4-week contract :shakehead

Fierce
09-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Josh Holden from Forward Morges to HPK Hämeenlinna and earlier this weekend Riku Hahl confirmed a lockout deal with HPK.

It starts looking good...

Padawan
09-27-2004, 04:35 AM
Michael Nylander to Kärpät, Oulu for the lock out.

Padawan
09-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Duvie Westcott signed with JYP for the lock out. Westcott is from Columbus Blue Jackets.

Korhonen
10-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Adam Hall (Nashville) -> KalPa, lock out contract

10-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Dwayne Roloson to Lukko, Rauma. Congratulations!

Korkki
10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Jason Williams to Ässät, according to Detroit Free Press (now also confirmed by Ässät)

A lock out contract, like with lukko and Roloson.

Padawan
10-21-2004, 05:17 AM
Eerikki Koivu from Hokki, Kajaanai (Tier 2) to JYP. The contract is for three months. After that the contract situation is considered again.

earl
10-21-2004, 08:03 AM
Saku Koivu to TPS Turku, after his wrist heals.

jepjepjoo
10-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Patrik Stefan to ILVES
Tyler Bouck to TPS
Brian Campbell to Jokerit

Streaker-man
10-25-2004, 07:44 AM
It seems that Blues has signed a tryout contract with Krys Kolanos. They now have 5 foreign players in the team which means that one of them has to be scratched every game. I´m quite certain that one of them will be looking for a new team in the near future...

ES
11-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Joni Puurula: HPK -> Ufa (Russia)
Mika Noronen: Buffalo -> HPK (lockout contract)

Ste'
11-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Lauri Kinos from JYP to Milano Vipers (Italy).

Tenukeppi
11-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Hannes Hyvönen to Ilves Tampere

ES
11-07-2004, 02:58 AM
Ilves head coach Vaclav Sykora left the team because of personal reasons.

Korhonen
11-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Sami Kapanen will join KalPa (tier II) in the beginning of December.

Padawan
11-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Pavel Brendl to Jokipojat which playes in Mestis (tier 2). This was huge surprise. Jokipojat is the very last team in Mestis.

ES
11-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Tomas Chlubna leaves Tappara. He recorded only 1 goal and 1 assist.

In the Doghouse
11-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Hal Gill to Lukko, Rauma.

Padawan
11-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Sean Avery to Pelicans from Los Angeles Kings.

Streaker-man
11-28-2004, 03:59 PM
Sean Avery to Pelicans from Los Angeles Kings.

Sean Avery from Pelicans to the first plane across the Atlantic Ocean.

Chevy Cheveldae
12-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Ladislav Benysek will leave HIFK to play for Leksand(Sweden) when the Transfer Window re-opens

ES
12-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Jukka Tiilikainen to Ilves. He played last season in Blues and this year short stint in Switzerland.

SergeiK
12-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Nashville Predator Tomas Vokoun to IFK Helsinki from Czech league team HC Znojemsti Orl

quebec2
12-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Nashville Predator Tomas Vokoun to IFK Helsinki from Czech league team HC Znojemsti Orl

i don't understand if only for Spengler Cup or also for SM Liiga?

Korhonen
12-20-2004, 09:07 AM

Both, of course. He'll join the team during the Spengler Cup.

gib
12-20-2004, 09:12 AM

Vokoun will play with HIFK to the end of the season, so he will play in SM-liiga not just in Spengler Cup.

HIFK will get rid of Dave Stathos because of Vokoun. Stathos agent is already looking for a new team for his client.

earl
01-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Has Metropolit left Jokerit? Did he give a reason?

Also, do you know why Janne Niinamaa has moved around so much this year?

Thanks in advance.

Streaker-man
01-05-2005, 01:44 AM
Has Metropolit left Jokerit? Did he give a reason?

Also, do you know why Janne Niinamaa has moved around so much this year?

Thanks in advance.

Metro is still playing in Jokerit and isn´t even about to leave.

Janne´s reasons are pretty much tax issues. But it´s great that he has returned now.

earl
01-05-2005, 05:28 AM
Thanks, streakerman. Reading the fine print, I see it's a rumour for next season, from eurohockey.net.

Posted 4/1/2005: Glen Metropolit (F)
From Jokerit Helsinki to HC Lugano
Added By: Joeri Loonen, Status: Unconfirmed
next season

Owen
01-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Did Lukko loan Mikko Purontakanen to the Pelicans again? And when?

Korkki
01-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Craig Rivet, Montreal -> TPS

Lockout contract. Not signed a contract with TPS yet, but reported already on several webpages.

quebec2
01-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Dave Stathos from HIFK to Pelicans

quebec2
01-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Craig Rivet, Montreal -> TPS

Lockout contract. Not signed a contract with TPS yet, but reported already on several webpages.

Now is official as reported on team site

Owen
01-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Did Lukko loan Mikko Purontakanen to the Pelicans again? And when?

Jamina
01-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Timo Vertala from Jokerit to Tappara.

earl
01-15-2005, 10:48 PM
When will Rivet begin play with TPS?

In the Doghouse
01-16-2005, 03:01 AM
When will Rivet begin play with TPS?

He arrived yesterday and should play next week. TPS plays agains Ässät today but Rivet won't be in the lineup yet.

SergeiK
01-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Alexandre Tremblay from Quebec RadioX (LNAH) to JYP Jyvaskyla

ES
01-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Tappara sacked head coach Mika Saarinen. Temporary head coach will be Mikko Saarinen (I think they are not relatives), who was Mika's assistant coach. Also Pauli Järvinen joins Tappara coaching staff, he had coached Tappara juniors earlier this season.

In the Doghouse
01-16-2005, 03:44 PM
And Tappara also released forwards Jarno Niinimäki and Robert Tomik.

Tappara announced today that they've signed Andrew Raycroft.

gib
01-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Alexandre Tremblay from Quebec RadioX (LNAH) to JYP Jyvaskyla

Again JYP pumping up it`s roster ---> Jody Shelley to JYP. Should play his first game 22. January when Jyp plays against Ässät.

SergeiK
01-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Again JYP pumping up it`s roster ---> Jody Shelley to JYP. Should play his first game 22. January when Jyp plays against Ässät.Also Tremblay transfer is canceled by the player. Although both parties agreed terms last week, yesterday Tremblay announced that he wasn`t satisfied with his salary and won`t be joining JYP. He was supposed to arrive in Finland monday but said that there were problems with flight reservations and said that he`ll be coming in wednesday evening. Now the whole thing is off.

Who does this semi-pro think he is? He scored only ten goals in SM-league last year which was his first professional season by the way.

ALF AmericanLionsFan
01-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Again JYP pumping up it`s roster ---> Jody Shelley to JYP. Should play his first game 22. January when Jyp plays against Ässät.
I thought there was a no fighting rule in the SM Liiga? :dunno:

Padawan
01-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Petr Sachl from SaiPa to Brynäs, Sweden.

Owen
01-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Also Tremblay transfer is canceled by the player. Although both parties agreed terms last week, yesterday Tremblay announced that he wasn`t satisfied with his salary and won`t be joining JYP. He was supposed to arrive in Finland monday but said that there were problems with flight reservations and said that he`ll be coming in wednesday evening. Now the whole thing is off.

Who does this semi-pro think he is? He scored only ten goals in SM-league last year which was his first professional season by the way.

Can't say that I'm very surprised... people say that Americans are arrogant (it's true), but the Quebecois have always been right there also.

mikkoz
01-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Rostislav Klesla to HPK

FINNtastic
01-30-2005, 07:33 AM
Olli Jokinen to HIFK

Korkki
01-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Toni Lydman to IFK. If he can play and if his insurance matters will be solved.

mikkoz
01-31-2005, 07:51 AM
Bryan Muir to Blues

ES
01-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Mika Niskanen from Blues to HV-71 (Sweden)

Owen
02-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Who becomes the new alternate captain with Niskanen gone?

ES
02-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Who becomes the new alternate captain with Niskanen gone?

Don't know yet, I think they haven't had spare "A" in their jerseys. At the moment also Wilson (other "A) is injured.