Alternate 2004 SCF: Philadelphia vs. Calgary

chaosof99*
08-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I was recently reminded of the 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs and it made me wonder what would have happened if the Flyers had won game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals.

So, who would have won the Cup in 04 had it come down to the Philadelphia Flyers versus the Calgary Flames, and why?

DBU
08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm a homer so I'll say Calgary because there was something magical about them that year, although Philadelphia was strong that year so I really don't know.

Cactus Jack
08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
The Flyers were really banged up when they lost to Tampa, I don't think they could have won a 4th round had they made it.

I Hate Chris Butler
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Dave Lowry, Krzysztof Oliwa, and Oleg Saprykin would be too overwhelming for the Flyers' D.

AZCOYOT
08-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Calgary would've won in 5.. Esche wasn't so good. I was hoping desperately for this matchup. :(

John Flyers Fan
08-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Calgary would've won in 5.. Esche wasn't so good. I was hoping desperately for this matchup. :(

Esche had already outplayed Brodeur and Belfour. Then played Khabibulin to a draw. He certainly wasn't going to be the reason the Flyers lost.

Both teams lost to Tampa by a goal in game 7, so quite equal.

What may have turned the tide was the fact that Desjardins and Ragnarsson may have been healthy enough to return for some or all of the finals.

COMCASTMONEY
08-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I honestly thought that was the year, and that if they'd reached they would've annihilated Calgary. Primeau had just gotten better and better as the playoffs went on and Gagne was becoming the player he is today.

CaptBrannigan
08-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Having watched the Lightning play both of them that year, I would say Calgary. The Flames were playing a game very much dictated by grabbing and holding, and it almost beat the more up tempo style of the Lightning. The Flyers were on the whole a slower team than Tampa and I think Calgary would have been able to handle them.

Also consider how banged up the Flyers were (although I don't buy for a second that's why they lost the Eastern finals, Tampa was down to using #7 and 8 d-men as well), the hard checking Flames would have been a tall order to get through. The Lightning forwards were relatively unscathed when you consider it was the fourth round of playoff hockey and Calgary pushed them to the limit physically.

I think another potential matchup, San Jose-Tampa would have been interesting considering the similar play styles.

tony d
08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Calgary, they had better goaltending than the Flyers and they seemed to have an air of magic in them that year.

ShawnTHW
08-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Having watched the Lightning play both of them that year, I would say Calgary. The Flames were playing a game very much dictated by grabbing and holding, and it almost beat the more up tempo style of the Lightning. The Flyers were on the whole a slower team than Tampa and I think Calgary would have been able to handle them.

Also consider how banged up the Flyers were (although I don't buy for a second that's why they lost the Eastern finals, Tampa was down to using #7 and 8 d-men as well), the hard checking Flames would have been a tall order to get through. The Lightning forwards were relatively unscathed when you consider it was the fourth round of playoff hockey and Calgary pushed them to the limit physically.

I think another potential matchup, San Jose-Tampa would have been interesting considering the similar play styles.
Just curious. What was the reason they lost if it werent for the amount of injuries they sustained?

Dr Grant
08-06-2009, 07:31 PM
That Flyers-Lightning series in 04 was amazing to watch. I said that which ever team wins this series would win the cup and I still believe that would have been the case.

GIN ANTONIC
08-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Just curious. What was the reason they lost if it werent for the amount of injuries they sustained?

Couldn't be that Tampa outplayed them or anything like that. That sort of stuff never happens.

CaptBrannigan
08-07-2009, 01:09 AM

They couldn't land the knockout blow; lack of killer instinct. They had all the momentum in the world after chasing Khabibulin in Game 2 and heading home, as well as after winning Game 6 in the dramatic fashion they did. They just didn't build on it, which is also due to the Lightning not really letting them. Habby bounced back strong, Cibak drew in for Perrin and was a better physical matchup on the fourth line, and they played 7 d-men some games to help alleviate and spread out the punishment dished out on the forecheck. They found a quick answer to every problem spot.

And Fedotenko went bat**** crazy scoring goals. That definitely helped.

ShawnTHW
08-07-2009, 11:08 PM
They couldn't land the knockout blow; lack of killer instinct. They had all the momentum in the world after chasing Khabibulin in Game 2 and heading home, as well as after winning Game 6 in the dramatic fashion they did. They just didn't build on it, which is also due to the Lightning not really letting them. Habby bounced back strong, Cibak drew in for Perrin and was a better physical matchup on the fourth line, and they played 7 d-men some games to help alleviate and spread out the punishment dished out on the forecheck. They found a quick answer to every problem spot.

And Fedotenko went bat**** crazy scoring goals. That definitely helped.

And you dont think with a guy like Desjardins on the backend, that would help our team out and be more defensively sound and at the same time give the blueliners a bit of a kick to produce offensively. Ragnarsson was also a huge part of that D lineup. Tampa had nowhere close to the depth that Philly had, but with a banged up D, its a lot harder to win games. Surprised the Flyers stayed in as long as they did barring injuries. Wouldv'e been a completely different series had those two been in it.

Protest
08-08-2009, 09:20 AM

And we were down to using Sami Kapanen lol. We wouldn't have beat the Flames for the same reason we lost to tampa, we had no defense left.

CaptBrannigan
08-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I wouldn't say they had "nowhere close to the depth" the Flyers had. If this were true then why couldn't this depth handle playing when the two d-men mentioned were out? At the point they were at in their careers I don't think Desjardins and Ragnarsson would have significantly changed too much. Stan Neckar (he of 1 game played during the regular season) was even in the lineup. Jassen Cullimore could barely lift his shoulder to grasp his stick, and his inclusion in the lineup resulted in only 11 forwards playing. Perhaps I originally should have stated the point as such: To assume the Flyers solely due to injuries ignores the fact that the other team was playing guys just as far down on the depth chart who were no better than their Philly counterparts.