Old Pittsburgh Talk - Steelers, Pirates, News, etc.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Alex Kovalev
08-27-2003, 04:14 PM
Made a thread for you all to discuss Pittsburgh sports, news etc.

Please use this thread for all important Steeler and Pirates news, Thanks.

JDB3939
08-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Thanks Kovy. Us damned yinzers need to talk about other important Burgh topics sometimes.

PensFan68
08-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Good idea! I'm sure there will be alot of posts coming up here shortly with the beginning of Steeler season.

No Quarter
08-27-2003, 04:59 PM
What's everybodies opinion on the Giles trade, myself personally I love it.

JDB3939
08-27-2003, 05:08 PM
I wish Kendall had been going too.....

blah
08-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Any ideas on the player to be named yet?

No Quarter
08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Any ideas on the player to be named yet?

Sean Burruoghs would be nice but it would never happen.

JDB3939
08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
I thought it was a minor league pitcher?

Mr. T
08-27-2003, 05:27 PM
These are the two names I've heard...

Josh Barfield is on their highest A team. Looks to have above average power and speed.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG
129 524 96 179 44 6 15 120 46 118 15 4 .342

Cory Stewart (whose name I've heard the most) is a good pitching prospect.

W L ERA G CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO
12 7 3.72 25 0 0 0 125.2 104 60 52 10 50 133

My buddy in SD says both of these guys are supposed to be good, especially Barfield. I'd go for him if the Padres are willing to give him up.

EDIT* The Union-Trib in SD thinks it'll be Stewart. link (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20030827-9999_z1s27padz.html) I think we have enough pitching prospects. It still might be Xavier Nady too. I guess we'll find out sometime between tomorrow and 6 months.

Big McLargehuge
08-27-2003, 05:41 PM
The three possibilities for ptbnl are the above mentioned Barfield, Stewart, as well as Xavier Nady.

Personally I'd like Barfield the most, Nady a close second, so naturally it's almost certain that it'll be Stewart.

Regardless I like the trade in the long run, I hate to see Giles go(I actually even have his jersey) but what must be done must be done...I guess 11 years of losing makes this stuff easier to accept...

Mr. T
08-27-2003, 05:47 PM
Personally I'd like Barfield the most, Nady a close second, so naturally it's almost certain that it'll be Stewart.

Sounds good to me. Wasn't Nady rookie of the month at the beginning of the season?

I like this trade. Seeing Giles leave really sucks, but I think we got a good return. Much better than Ramirez deal.

P.S. Phantom how are you feeling?

No Quarter
08-28-2003, 03:33 AM
Jason Bay goes 2 for 3 with a double, an RBI, and a walk last night in his debut.
Another thing I was reading about Bay that's a big plus is that he had 23 steals this year in AAA. We could always use a big time threat on the bases.

SuburbanRhythm
08-28-2003, 03:39 AM
Sean Burruoghs would be nice but it would never happen.

Not a huge Pirate fan, but agree with that. Littlefield has made it known Hernandez and his 200+ K will not return. Who in the world will be @ 3B next season?

butchers_dog
08-28-2003, 04:51 AM
Cool Thread!

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Not a huge Pirate fan, but agree with that. Littlefield has made it known Hernandez and his 200+ K will not return. Who in the world will be @ 3B next season?

free agent signing, no doubt.

We have no one, and I mean NO ONE at third in the system.

The closest thing we have is Yurendell De Caster...and he's no gem(23 and still in A, potential to be a mediocre utilityman at best).

Bobby Hill has played third but Littlefield said he is too small and doesn't have enough power to play that position in the bigs.

Just kinda sucks that we have a "player of the future" for every position but 3B, Aramis was the future for so long...

Mr. T
08-28-2003, 06:59 AM
Who do you guys think the Pirates top 20 prospects/young players are?

I have to work for a bit, so I'll post mine later.

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 08:22 AM
This is 100% mine and I really have nothing to base this off of, so this is alot personal opinion, a little actual scouting.

Rank Name Position Age Bats/Throws Current Team
1. John Van Benschoeten, RHP, 23, R/R, Altoona- A bit of a huge question mark when drafted 8th overall in 2001 as a pitcher instead of a stud power hitting first baseman, but so far it has worked out magnificantly for the Pirates. Van Benschoeten has formed himself into the team's best prospect and is a future Cy Young candidate. With Altoona(AA) he's 7-5 with a 3.63 ERA. He was 6-0 with a 2.22 ERA in 9 games with Lynchburg(high A)
2. Sean Burnett, LHP, 20, L/L, Altoona- The first pick(19th overall) by the Pirates in 2000. Burnett isn't a powerful pitcher, if anyone his game is basically Greg Maddux but as a lefty, which can be a very, very, VERY dangerous thing. My personal favorite prospect Burnett is 13-6 with a 3.14 ERA in Altoona this year.
3. Oliver Perez, LHP, 22, L/L, Pittsburgh- Formerly the Padres top prospect this flame thrower has a deadly assortment of pitches and on any given night can dominate a game like few can. Unfortuanetly he still has minimal control over his stuff, hence his 4-7 record and 5.38 ERA with the Padres before coming over.
4. Jason Bay, OF, 23, R/R, Pittsburgh- After puting up solid numbers in San Diego's top minor league team he did little to say he doesn't belong in his debut(2 for 3 with a walk and a RBI). Bay is a classic five tool player. Potential to be a .300, 30, 100 guy and 30 steals to go with that(in AAA he had 20 homers and 23 steals).
5. Bryan Bullington, RHP, 22, R/R, Lynchburg- This just shows how shallow last year's draft was. Bullington, last year's first overall pick, is projected to be a third starter by Pirates GM David Littlefield. Depending on what "third starter" means(be it third on the Pirates, which would be pretty good behind guys like Van Benschoeten and Burnett) or as a third starter on an average team? Regardless he's a damn good prospect, just not earth shattering as far as first overall guys go. Currently dominating A ball with an 8-4 record and 3.05 ERA in his first year of pro ball.
6. Jose Castillo, SS/2B, 22, R/R, Altoona- Before the Giles trade was touted as the organization's best position prospect. Despite all the trades(bringing in two middle infielders in Freddy Sanchez and Bobby Hill) he's still touted as the short stop in the future and hasn't played like he doesn't deserve that title. Not a power hitter by any means of the word he's a solid defensive player who will hit for average and have some speed. Basically everything you expect from a shortstop. Hitting .287 with 5 homers and 64 RBIs in Altoona this year. Will most likely spend next year in Nashville before making it to Pittsburgh in 2005.
7. Freddy Sanchez, 2B/SS, 24, R/R, Nashville- If not for a lingering foot injury he'd be starting at second for the Pirates right now. Essentially acquired for Scott Sauerbeck and Jeff Suppan, Sanchez was one of the BoSox top prospects. In only 58 games with Pawtuckett(Boston's AAA affiliate) he was hitting .341 with 5 homers and 25 RBIs. Has only played one game with Nashville thus far.
8. J.R. House, C, 23, R/R, Altoona- Twice ranked as the Pirates best prospect, House has become the injury bug's personal biatch. In only 14 games in AA he's hitting .379 with 0 homers and 5 RBIs. He's still projected to be a power hitting catcher with an average batting average(around .270).
9. Paul Maholm, LHP, 21, L/L- Williamsport- This past year's eight overall pick. I honestly don't know much about him other than the Pirates really coveted him and expect to see him in a Pirates uniform within three years.
10. Bobby Hill, 2B, 25, S/R, Nashville- Essentially acquired for Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton, Hill once was the Cubs top prospect. After proving essentially nothing in a couple call-ups he was deemed expendable by Cubs management. With Iowa(Cubs AAA) he was hitting .274 with 7 homers and 42 RBIs. In 11 games with Nashville he's hitting .146 with 1 homer and 2 RBIs.
11. Ian Oquendo, RHP, 21, R/R, Altoona- Very recently promoted to AA Altoona, Oquendo has become sort of the gem in the rough in the Pirates organization. No top prospect lists, no high draft pick, no respect. Oquendo was the Pirates 20th round draft pick in 2000 and quickly impressed. In his first two years of pro baseball(granted his first year was only one decision) he compiled an 11-0 record. Last year he finished 11-6 with a 2.71 ERA with Lynchburg. This year Oquendo was 10-3 with a 3.33 ERA before being sent to Altoona, he's 3-0 with Altoona. Only real accolade he has is that Baseball America rated him as having the organization's best curveball.
12. Tony Alvarez, CF, 24, R/R, Nashville- Ranked 6th in the organization last year his stock has not really fallen, the Pirates have just gained a ton of depth. Projected as the center fielder of the future for the Pirates Alvarez combines basically everything you need, except a ton of power. I see him being a .290-10-65 type player late in the line-up with a few steals thrown in (he has 22 in Nashville this season). This season he's hitting .294 with 8 homers and 52 RBIs.
13. J.J. Davis, RF, 24, R/R, Pittsburgh- The last position player drafted by the Pirates before their current barrage of six strait pitchers. Davis has been in the organization for what feels like forever, yet is only 24 still. His future is now though, he's out of options and after so long in the organization you know management is getting impatient, let's just hope he doesn't turn out like Chad Hermansen. Davis is a pure power hitter(second only prospect wise in the organization to Walter Young). In Nashville he was hitting .280 with 24 homers and 63 RBIs.
14. Carlos Rivera, 1B, 25, L/L, Pittsburgh- Hasn't really done much of anything with Pittsburgh yet(.164 average, .240 OBP, 1 HR, 5 RBI in 52 games(55 at bats)) but has more than proven himself in the depths of the Pirates system. In 72 games in Nashville before joining the Pirates he was hitting .263 with 10 homers and 31 RBIs.
15. Ryan Vogelsong, RHP, 25, R/R, Nashville- What may have been...once San Francisco's top prospect he was the centerpiece in the deal that sent Jason Schmidt to San Francisco. Two games into his Pirates career he needed Tommy John's surgery. He hasn't quite been the same since, but still has been respectable. In Nashville this year he's 12-8 with a 4.26 ERA.
16. Blair Johnson, RHP, 19, Bradenton(rookieball)- Last year's second round draft pick. A highly touted pitcher. Really all I know about him.
17. Thomas Gorzelanny, LHP, 21, Williamsport- As the list goes on the details get scarcer. Gorzelanny was the Pirates second round pick in this past draft. With Williamsport he's 1-1 in 28.1 innings with a 0.95 ERA.
18. Humberto Cota, C, 24, Nashville- The soft hitting Cota never was thought to be a starter in this organization, but should prove to be a more than servicable back-up. Originally acquired in the Jose Guillen deal Cota has some power(8 home runs in AAA), limited average(.205), but superb defensive skills. Think Keith Osik with more power.
19. Ryan Doumit, C, 22, Lynchburg- Greatly impressed the Pirates in spring training, was actually amongst the last cut-down in spring training(although had almost no chance of actually making the team). Doumit is doing a fine job in Lynchburg with a .278 average to go along with 11 homers and 77 RBIs. More potential than Cota but less likely to reach it.
20. Walter Young, 1B, 23, Lynchburg- The biggest problem with this big slugger(6'5", 295) is that he's 23 and he's still in A ball, with nothing to prove. What he's doing down there I'll never know. Last year hit .333 with 25 homers and 103 RBIs, this year is hitting .278 with 20 homers and 84 RBIs. He's alot like Mo Vaughn but without that 40 home run potential...plus he'll be lucky to see much time in the bigs.

phew...that took forever

butchers_dog
08-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks Phantom, good job.

Whats up J.R. House playing football. There was some talk of him going to WVU last year I think.

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 08:34 AM
He's not, he decided to stay with baseball a couple years ago.

He made his commitment to Littlefield.

butchers_dog
08-28-2003, 08:35 AM
:handclap:

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Oh and for those wondering, 26 was my cut off for age and a full season of Major League service as well(hence why there's no Dave Williams on the list).

No Quarter
08-28-2003, 08:37 AM
What happened to Bobby Bradley?
I thought he was one of our blue chippers a year or so ago.

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 09:07 AM
Injuries have killed him worse than J.R. House.

I was thinking of puting him on, but decided against it.

Put him on the honorable mentions list.

blah
08-28-2003, 09:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=1580231

Cory Stewart, LHP (Padres to Pirates in Brian Giles trade)
Stewart was originally drafted by the Reds in the 27th round in 1998, out of high school in Texas. A shoulder injury led to his release in 2000. He drifted to independent ball, pitched well, then was signed by the Padres as a free agent. Fully recovered from his arm problems, Stewart developed into one of the best prospects in the Padres system, posting a 3.72 ERA and a 133/50 K/BB ratio in 126 innings this year for Double-A Mobile. Stewart's best pitch is his curveball, but his 88-92 mph fastball is respectable, and his command is sharp. He looks like a solid Grade B prospect.

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 09:25 AM
I didn't include Stewart since he's not "officially" a Pirate yet.

It's a 99% guarantee that's who we're getting but it's not official.

Jacob
08-28-2003, 03:59 PM
I like the Pirates' depth. It's exciting to see them getting contributions from guys like Redman.

I know he's not a prospect anymore, but I think Craig Wilson could be our cleanup hitter for the not-too-distant future. He's no Giles, but I've always felt he has the potential to hit 30-35 homers with a respectable average to boot.

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 04:09 PM
I digress, Wilson hasn't honestly done much since that amazing rookie year.

He doesn't have the potential to be a real player in baseball, he's more of a utility guy than a pure clean-up hitter.

He's a one tool player and still isn't that great at that one tool. He's John Vander Wal but he can play more positions(add C and 1B to the corner outfield positions that Vander Wal plays).

Vander Wal had a great year with us once, but still is more known for as being one of the best pinch hitters of all time, Wilson is that kind of player.

I don't see him as a starter except at 1B if Rivera continues to struggle and Stairs isn't retained. But as of now he's second on the depth chart in three positions, so he'll get decent playing time.

Mr. T
08-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Great list phantom.

P.S. If Loaiza wins the Cy Young award I will personally come to your house and hold your hair while you vomit. Please do the same for me.

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I just can't believe how well that bum is doing.

I mean he was decent at best here, mediocre at best everywhere else, then BOOM!

confusing to say the least...

PensFan68
08-28-2003, 05:53 PM
I haven't been on for a bit, but I'll give my Giles to SD thoughts.

I think it was a great deal. Hurts giving up Giles, but considering we couldn't afford him, we got a great package back. Perez is inconsistent, but he is still young, and if he can work out of that he'll definately be an ace.

I see Bay becoming a Giles type player. Good all around guy. Gets on base, good D, smart baserunner, and will hit for some power(probably not the 35-40 Giles does, but maybe 25-30).

As for the PTBNL, I would HIGHLY doubt it would be Barfield. I would say he's a better prospect than Bay, and close to Perez. He's a middle infielder with a great bat. I wish he was a possibility, but I don't think so.

As for Nady, I've never been high on him. I don't know why. Great power potential, but the Pads fans were to eager to include him in deals when they wouldn't include anyone else(Bay, Barfield, Burroughs, Peavy, Perez, Greene, etc.).

Stewart wouldn't be a bad pick up. Another left hander(like Perez), and he'll probably top out as a back of the rotation starter. If he can't make that, maybe a Sauerbeck type guy out of the pen.

PensFan68
08-28-2003, 07:12 PM
My top 20:

1. Sean Burnett- I see him becoming a dominate ace with the team. He has the greatest upside of all our pitchers, and best of all he's a lefty. Hard to find ace type starters who're lefties.

2. Oliver Perez- I don't think he's considered a prospect anymore, but who cares. His only problem is his consistency. He has a great game, then a couple ok ones. If he could get things going well, he could be a dangerous one-two lefty punch with Burnett.

3. John VanBenschoten- don't think his upside is as high as the previous two pitcher, but he's definately up there. Probably will become a 1-2 pitcher in the majors.

4. Chris Shelton- some may be saying, "who?", but I really like this kid. I've been paying attention to him for a couple years, and I think big things can happen for him. He may even be here for the 05 season. In A Hickory last year, he batted .340 with 17 HR's and 65 RBI's in 93 games. This year in high A Lynchburg he was on his way to a triple crown with .359 avg., 29 HR's, 69 RBI's in 95 games. He was called up to AA Altoona about July I think, and started our rough, but since has gotten his average up to .286, 0 HR's, and 14 RBI's. I think he's batted about .400 in the last month or so.

He hasn't shown the power yet in Altoona, but he's been hitting the ball hard and has been getting on base. The major downfall is probably that the Pirates won't leave him at a position. He's a part time C, 1B, OF, DH. They need to stick him somewhere to get used to the D of the position.

As you can tell by all I wrote, this is the prospect I'm most excited about. He isn't our top prospect, but I don't think he's going to be overlooked much after this season.

5. Brian Bullington- DL said that Bullington is more of a #3 starter, but I'm thinking he said it so he wouldn't have much pressure on him. But even if he does become that, there is nothing wrong with it. You need guys all throughout the rotation to pitch well. And if all the pitchers we have perform like they can, there will be guys ahead of him on the depth chart anyway.

6. Jason Bay- always been a guy able to get on base, but is starting to come around with some power. He'll be a steady .300 hitter, and most likely a 20/20 guy(hr's/sb's). He'll also provide us with good D in the OF.

7. Jose Castillo- alot expected him to be a September callup this year, but I doubt it will happen. I think moving him around in the infield hurt him a little bit. I've read a couple of things where he isn't looking as good on D as he once did. I'm sure he'll get back into the groove here shortly, and he'll be a good on base type guy. Won't hit for alot of power, but will probably end up with 15 a year.

8. Ryan Doumit- He's probably higher on my list than most, but I think he will make the majors. May not become a great catcher, but he has the ability to become a regular every day guy. He's a switch hitter who can get on base and knock the HR. I'm also fairly sure that he's good defensively. I doubt Cota will ever become anything, and House has too many ?'s around him. The starting catchers job in the future is all Doumit's as of now--if Shelton isn't moved to full time C(which he's pretty big so probably not).

9. Tony Alvarez- his stock has fallen a bit, but I still see him becoming the starting CF'er in a year or two. I think he's a little further away than we thought(was going to be the starter this year), but was outplayed by Redman and the recently aquired Thompson in AAA. He's good defensively and will be the leadoff man when he makes it. The Pirates may chose to keep Redman in that spot though since he's been playing well thus far.

10. a. Freddy Sanchez- read Hill's

10. b. Bobby Hill- I really see these guys becoming the same type of player. Good D in the middle infield, and able to get on base. Neither one of them will hit HR's, but they will be good 1-2 guys in the order. You may see one of them at 3B, one at 2B, while Castillo at SS. Hopefully that isn't the case though. None of those 3 guys really have the power for 3B. Castillo has more than that other two, but hopefully we don't move him around too much(has already been moved from SS to 2B back to SS)

12. a. Paul Maholm- read Oquendo's. I was very upset with this pick. I think not picking Aubrey is going to come back to haunt us(or even Stewart). Maholm is nothing great, but I think he was chosen because he's out of college and the closest to being ready.

12. b. Ian Oquendo- like the two previous, I envision these guys being the same type pitcher. More than likely middle of the rotation guys, or bottom of the rotation(since the top is so loaded).

14. J.J. Davis- a little low on my list, but I do think he can be an effective OF'er. Has good power, and is learning to hold back on pitches. Hopefully we'll see alot of him in the next month.

15. J.R. House- like the guy I have at 16, he can't seem to stay away from injuries. Since coming back this year though, he's doing tremendous. Did great in the GCL for rehab and is hitting .362 in 15 games with Altoona. If he can fight the injuries, he'll be better than Doumit.

16. Jose Bautista- the only 3B prospect that I can think of off the top of my head. Had a great year in Hickory last year(.301 with 14 HR's and 57 RBI's), but isn't doing too great in Lynchburg(.252, 4, 20, in 48 games). Still probably a while away(22 i think), but being one of the few at 3B has a good shot to be here.

17. Bobby Bradley- he's drastically fallen on the Pirates charts since he can't seem to fight injuries. Maybe the best pitching prospect we have, but just can't seem to stay away from the injuries. He's 3-2, 2.93 ERA in 11 games with Lynchburg since coming back, and should start the season in Altoona next year. We'll see if he can fight the injuries and finally make it(probably not though).

18. Nathan McLouth- a soon to be 22 year old OF'er playing in Lynchburg is batting .298 with 6 HR's, 54 RBI's, and 36 SB's. May become a good leadoff guy.

19. Walter Young- he is a hard guy to judge. He's been in A ball too long, and should start next year in AA. Has tremendous power, and should get his shot at the next level.

20. Jon Albaladejo- a 19th rounder in 01, is having a great season in Hickory. 28 games(5 complete), 3.11, 11-5, 102 SO's, 18 BB's. Don't know much about him at all, but those numbers really stand out to me.

Honorable mention: Brad Eldred- huge power guy(26 HR's, 77 RBI's in Hickory), but is only hitting .242. Strikes out way too much, 136 in 406 AB's. If he learns some patience, he could jump high on the charts because of his power.

I didn't really include guys that are in A ball or recently drafted. Don't know all that much about them. I'm sure at least a couple would be higher than these guys, but I'm just going by the guys that I pay some attention to.

PensFan68
08-28-2003, 07:14 PM
I just can't believe how well that bum is doing.

I mean he was decent at best here, mediocre at best everywhere else, then BOOM!

confusing to say the least...

I'm really thinking this is a fluke year. Hopefully for him it isn't, but I don't see how a guy can just change like that all of a sudden.

Big McLargehuge
08-28-2003, 07:18 PM
Wow, interesting list. I probably should have put Shelton on my list, but #4?

I think that's a bit too high.

PensFan68
08-29-2003, 06:39 AM
Wow, interesting list. I probably should have put Shelton on my list, but #4?

I think that's a bit too high.

Probably is a bit high, but he's really becoming a top prospect for us. If he was still in Lynchburg, I wouldn't rate him as high, but since he's gone to Altoona and has been hitting AA pitching, I have pretty high hopes for him. After a start in Altoona next year, if all goes well, he should see a promotion to Nashville before the end of the season.

The downfall I mentioned(not having a position) is most likely the case he isn't a top prospect. His hitting is there, but he really isn't great defensively anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some extended time in the corner OF positions and at 1B. If he could master a position(and he wouldn't even have to be great, just good enough to service the position) I think he'd be the one of the top position prospects.

PensFan68
08-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Pirates beat the Braves tonight. Sweep the Marlins and beat the Braves in game 1 without most of our beginning of the season starters(Giles, Lofton, Simon, Ramirez, Suppan).

Big McLargehuge
08-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Tommorow should be a great sports day for us local guys, Oliver Perez makes his Pirates debut and Pitt and Penn State open their schedules :yo:

Tonight was a good one too, as it was said the Pirates won over the Braves(the bullpen almost blew it though, we gutted Russ Ortiz who's 18-5 for 5 runs before he left and Torres, our starter, only allowed two, but Boehringer allowed 2 runs in 1 inning and Tavarez one in two and we had to win it in the ninth...which we almost didn't thanks to a slippery playing surface.

Steelers finished off their pre-season tonight as well, a 21-14 loss to the Carolina Panthers. The starters played very little(too little for the last pre-season game in my book) but when they did play they pretty much dominated. Most first teamers left with the game being 14-0, which is all I really care about.

Chris Doering made the team with tongiht's performance(3 receptions, 59 yards I believe, before going down with an injury)
Josh Burr made the practice squad with tonight's performance...pathetic.

And high school football started!

My team, the Quad-A South Bethel Park Blackhawks are gonna be, truth be told, pathetic this year. They have one good starter remaining from last year(QB Erik Yonish) and are almost completely sophomores...but tonight we beat a decent Franklin Regional team, at Franklin Regional 55-7...with the game being called with :51 remaining in the third quarter! Yonish, a scrambling QB had 4 rushing TDs...in the second quarter! :joker: :yo: :bow:

All I'll say is that Coach Matheny has done miracles the past two years, I hope he does it again this year(expecially since I know half the players now).

PensFan68
08-29-2003, 08:21 PM
I hope Perez does well tomorrow. Unfortunetly, I have to work all day and won't get a chance to see him.

Jacob
08-30-2003, 01:46 PM
I digress, Wilson hasn't honestly done much since that amazing rookie year.

He doesn't have the potential to be a real player in baseball, he's more of a utility guy than a pure clean-up hitter.

He's a one tool player and still isn't that great at that one tool. He's John Vander Wal but he can play more positions(add C and 1B to the corner outfield positions that Vander Wal plays).

Vander Wal had a great year with us once, but still is more known for as being one of the best pinch hitters of all time, Wilson is that kind of player.

I don't see him as a starter except at 1B if Rivera continues to struggle and Stairs isn't retained. But as of now he's second on the depth chart in three positions, so he'll get decent playing time.

But what if we don't have any choice? If Reggie and Stairs leave, wouldn't Wilson then be our #3-4 hitter? What do you think he could do in that spot if he played every night?

Big McLargehuge
08-30-2003, 04:44 PM
I'd see him hitting .260-25-80

PensFan68
08-30-2003, 07:10 PM
I hope not to see Hack playing on a regular basis. I've never been a fan of his, well I did love him as a pinch hitter at first, but then I realized if it isn't a fastball, he won't hit it.

I'd rather see a bunch of young guys given a starting job over Wilson. Although, if Stairs and Sanders both leave and we don't bring in a vet, Wilson will probably start somewhere just for the pop that he can provide.

Jacob
08-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Wilson is young.

Big McLargehuge
08-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Wilson's only a year older than Rivera, but I don't think he'll improve much past what he is now.

Big McLargehuge
08-30-2003, 08:59 PM
Steelers acquire Milons

hmmm...don't know if I like this, I was impressed with Milons but I guess Cowher wasn't happy with Mays and/or Doering.

Mr. T
08-31-2003, 03:26 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/20030831sanders0831p5.asp

Dodgers claim Sanders off waivers.

Koltsov71
08-31-2003, 06:06 AM
Oliver Perez makes his Pirates debut

I thought he already made his Pirates debut?

What time is the game on today?

DJ Spinoza
08-31-2003, 06:44 AM
I thought he already made his Pirates debut?

What time is the game on today?

Don't know, but I am certain Perez pitched yesterday, which would be Saturday..

DJ Spinoza
08-31-2003, 10:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1606709

Joey Porter has been shot!!!!

This is bad news!!!

Koltsov71
08-31-2003, 11:05 AM
Wow, that is terrible.

Mr. T
08-31-2003, 12:25 PM
I heard on KDKA today before the Pirates game that Freddy Sanchez might have been hurt more than originally advertised when he was sent here from Boston. Anybody else hear this?

FlyerFire
08-31-2003, 03:15 PM
i like D.BROWN and UPCHURCH.hope they make practice squad.

PensFan68
08-31-2003, 03:27 PM
Wilson is young.

I agree, but as mentioned, he's reached his potential(IMO).

PensFan68
08-31-2003, 03:28 PM
A shame we got through preseason without injuries then something like this happens.

Not sorry to see Fu released. I like him, but he was injured too much.

I didn't see many games, but I liked the very little bit of Brown I saw. Guess he didn't do much else.

Jacob
08-31-2003, 04:15 PM
What are the Pirates' options for 3rd next year, in terms of FA's or maybe a trade. It seems like we have at least one good prospect/young player at every position but 3rd.

PensFan68
08-31-2003, 04:30 PM
Bringing back Hernandez is a possibility.

Moving either Sanchez or Hill to 3B is another.

If Mackowiak finishes the season well, he may battle for it.

Maybe a FA(Joe Randa is the only 3B FA that comes to mind).

No Quarter
08-31-2003, 06:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1606709

Joey Porter has been shot!!!!

This is bad news!!!

That really blows.

Big McLargehuge
08-31-2003, 07:01 PM
I heard on KDKA today before the Pirates game that Freddy Sanchez might have been hurt more than originally advertised when he was sent here from Boston. Anybody else hear this?

Would anyone be suprised?

If I've learned anything this season it's that the Red Sox are scum.

And about the Porter thing... :rant:

*HUGE Porter fan*

:angryfire

Unholy Diver
09-01-2003, 05:29 PM
I heard on Pikksburgh sports tonight that Sanchez is done for the season

now we just need Ollie Perez to tear up his elbow and need Tommy John and it will put a nice bow on littlefields trades

someone needs to shoot diamond dave in the ass

Mr. T
09-01-2003, 06:49 PM
I heard on Pikksburgh sports tonight that Sanchez is done for the season

now we just need Ollie Perez to tear up his elbow and need Tommy John and it will put a nice bow on littlefields trades

someone needs to shoot diamond dave in the ass

I've got good aim. Will you be the wheel man?

Mr. T
09-01-2003, 06:55 PM
I really hope Porter can play for this season.

Didn't Rod Woodson miss the entire year the last time we went to the Super Bowl?

More importantly, has Ray Lewis released a statement yet?

Superstar Shane
09-01-2003, 07:01 PM
More importantly, has Ray Lewis released a statement yet?
:lol:

Big McLargehuge
09-01-2003, 09:04 PM
According to ESPN news and Craig Mortensen he's back in the Burgh and had the bullet removed from his buttocks.

He could return by week 5(against Cleveland).

great news :)

iagreewithidiots
09-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Wouldnt it be great if the Steelers won the Super Bowl then got the usual invite from the President to the White House. Then Porter can pull a Forrest Gump and show Mr Bush the wound in his buttocks.

Big McLargehuge
09-01-2003, 10:53 PM
LMAO that would be hilarious.

No Quarter
09-02-2003, 05:42 PM
What's the chances The Steelers will try to pick up Lawyer Milloy off waivers?

Big McLargehuge
09-02-2003, 05:59 PM
non-existant.

For one Milloy is a SS, we have Polamalu and Logan there.
Secondly we're just a tad over a million under the cap, even if Milloy signs a one-year contract he'll cost too much(even if we released Alexander outright).

No Quarter
09-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Wouldnt it be great if the Steelers won the Super Bowl then got the usual invite from the President to the White House. Then Porter can pull a Forrest Gump and show Mr Bush the wound in his buttocks.

That's funny.:lol:

Calgarydude18
09-03-2003, 10:26 AM
I was outraged that they traded Giles but i guess theres nothing i can do, i hope the steelers kick some ass this year and i hope zereoue can put up some nice numbers.

No Quarter
09-03-2003, 10:45 AM
I was outraged that they traded Giles but i guess theres nothing i can do, i hope the steelers kick some ass this year and i hope zereoue can put up some nice numbers.

Actually I think the Pirates made out on the Giles trade, Bay is gonna be a great player for years to come and same goes for Perez.

Big McLargehuge
09-03-2003, 02:12 PM
same here, Perez is a future ace and Bay is looking like a younger version of Giles(with slightly less power(SLIGHTLY) and more speed).

That ptbnl(most likely Cory Stewart) is pretty decent too.

Mr. T
09-03-2003, 03:45 PM
same here, Perez is a future ace and Bay is looking like a younger version of Giles(with slightly less power(SLIGHTLY) and more speed).

That ptbnl(most likely Cory Stewart) is pretty decent too.

Supposedly Kendall to SD is still in the works. I think we should pay 65-70% of his salary and get BARField and Nady, or ay less and get one of them.

The way Kendall's been hitting recently (i.e. like he should) his value has to have gone up. What do yinz guys think?

PensFan68
09-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't mind dealing Kendall, but he may be the only bright spot of the team next year. I've never been a fan of his, but it may end up just being best to hold onto him.

As for a deal, if we pay more than $22 mil. of his contract we should get a real good prospect in return. That would make the team we trade with pay him at least $5 mil. a year for 4 years, and that's probably still a bit much for him, but if he continues to hit above .300 it would be about right.

Big McLargehuge
09-04-2003, 12:31 AM
If we're paying that much of Kendall's contract then why bother trading him? If you're taking 7 mill off his contract(which by trading him you're saying that's what we'd be doing) then all San Diego is paying is 3 million for an all star catcher. I'd rather spend that extra 3 million and keep that all star catcher.

I personally refuse to pay more than half of his contract.

It's a shame that Bonifay threw all that money at Kendall really, people look at him like an overpaid worthless bum when he's still one of the 5 best catchers in the game today...

kutdacheez
09-06-2003, 03:51 AM
Just . . . . GO PITT!

PensFan68
09-06-2003, 12:26 PM
I didn't see the either Pirate game yesterday, but by looking at the numbers it looks like Perez had a good game. 7 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO. Of course, the pen blew it for him though.

PensFan68
09-06-2003, 12:27 PM
I wish the Pitt game was on TV tonight. Should be a win for them though.

Glad to see Penn State lost today.

DJ Spinoza
09-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Edit - Nevermind on this.

BTW, I am going to my first Steeler game tommorow.:rolly:

Big McLargehuge
09-06-2003, 03:41 PM
The *** Pitt game isn't on TV -_-

After one quarter we were down to Kent State 3-0, Getsy was pulled and Rutherford is 11 for 15 with 238 yards and 4 TDs in ONE QUARTER.

I was very skeptical about covering a 30 point spread but good lord...

^_^

Larry Fitzgerald has 5 receptions for 115 yards and 3 TDs :bow:

PensFan68
09-06-2003, 03:55 PM
I still can't believe Rutherford only missed the first quarter. Why even make that part of his punishment?

Big McLargehuge
09-06-2003, 04:04 PM
He obviously wasn't meant to only miss a quarter, but Getsy sucked it up.

I don't feel that Rutherford is innocent, I know he is. The way the files were charged and how many witnesses there are...it's just some dumb ***** trying to get money because he's famous(apparently forgeting that college players aren't even paid...).

PensFan68
09-06-2003, 04:59 PM
The article in the PG the other day said that Rod would most likely only miss the first quarter, so I do think it was planned.

I'm not saying the guy did it, but why say this is part of his punishment when it's not really a punishment at all?

Big McLargehuge
09-06-2003, 05:15 PM
because it was "punishment".

There's just as many people out there who think he should get hung for this thing, if Harris does nothing then he should be fired blah blah blah.

PC, Americana...it sucks.

Harris knows his guy didn't do it and hence why it was so short, there's also no chance it's even this serious if we were playing a half decent opponent.

DJ Spinoza
09-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Pitt 43 Kent State 3

:yo:

Big McLargehuge
09-07-2003, 11:49 AM
Ravens=pwned

Steelers destroy the Ravens 34-15.

Only 2 TDs by the Ravens came on a drive with 62 defensive penalty yards and a 2 yard series(recovered a Haynes penalty at the 2)...

Maddox was spectacular, 21 for 29 with 260 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs.

The defense looked great, even without the biggest cog.

DJ Spinoza
09-07-2003, 01:57 PM
And I was on TV during the national anthem!:rolly:

Mr. T
09-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Page 2's best ballpark in America is...link (http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/pncpark.html)

Big McLargehuge
09-08-2003, 05:27 PM
w00000000000000000000000000t

I was wondering when they were going to get to us, they started this thing months ago.

Koltsov71
09-10-2003, 06:25 PM
I like it alot better than the old ballpark.

PensFan68
09-10-2003, 06:39 PM
Pirates pulled out a win tonight.

Perez pitched 7 innings, had 10 K's(!!) 1 BB, 3 H, 2 ER. Didn't see most of the game, but that's two good in a row for Perez.

Mackowiak came up big with a pinch hit 2 run HR in the top of the 9th to put us up 3-2.

I've always been a fan of Mack, but I truly thought he was done with us. He showed nothing his first shot here, and played bad in Nashville. He's sure making a great case for himself to be on this team next year(and possibly even as the starting 3B).

Big McLargehuge
09-10-2003, 06:51 PM
If Mackowiak is our starting 3B...

the guy can't field to save his life, he'd be worse than Ramirez. He's best in his current role. Guys like Mackowiak and C. Wilson may show promise but they're still best when coming off the bench and starting every once-in-a-while...not every day.

Perez will be the best K guy we've had in ages, that much I know. He's 22 and has struck out double digits numerous times. Fogg is far from a strike out guy, Wells is far from a strike out guy, Benson is far from a strike out guy, and whoever we have in the rotation, be it D'Amico or whoever, they're not strike out pitchers. Perez is a flame thrower who will strike out 10 numerous times in a season. He'll definetly be a fan favorite in no time.

And in other news...Tommy Maddox won AFC Offensive player of the week :)

PensFan68
09-10-2003, 07:04 PM
I disagree about Mack's D. He isn't great by any means, but he's not bad either. When he filled in for ARam last year at 3B, he wasn't bad at all. His speed helps him cover ground, and he has a powerful arm. Although, he's better suited in the OF.

I do agree, that he isn't the solution to 3B, but I'd rather see him there than Sanchez or Hill. I like seeing 3B's with pop.

Big McLargehuge
09-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Pitt wins 41-21 I believe today. Once again it wasn't televised...

Any thoughts on tommorow's steelers game?

It's gonna be a hell of a game that's for sure.

Steelers 31
Chiefs 21

But I expect it to be closer than the score would indicate.

PensFan68
09-13-2003, 07:34 PM
Like last week, great to see Pitt win and Penn State lose.

As for the Steelers, I really think they're going to win. It will be a test for them, but I think it's too hard to stop our offense.

Unholy Diver
09-14-2003, 05:02 AM
I hope the stillers cab pull it off but ive got to go with the Cheifs

KC 34
Pit 31

Big McLargehuge
09-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Talk about forgetable.

After the Steelers take a 17-7 lead it stands at 34-20 KC...

Unholy Diver
09-14-2003, 11:14 AM
that was some run defense eh?

Koltsov71
09-14-2003, 11:46 AM
I'd rather watch Antique Roadhouse than a Steelers game.

Mr. T
09-14-2003, 12:32 PM
At least Notre Dame got killed this week.

No Quarter
09-14-2003, 02:49 PM
The only thing on that team that impressed me(besides Priest) is the O line.
The TE is overrated, the recievers blow, and and the D is mud.
That is the most overrated team in the league.

PensFan68
09-14-2003, 03:25 PM
I know it isn't Pittsburgh related, but what a game today in Tampa Bay. I like the Bucs, but I like rooting for the underdogs. Great to see the Panthers pull it out.

Can't wait to see Kordell tonight. Wonder how he'll do with everyone watching.

Unholy Diver
09-14-2003, 03:33 PM
I hope he plays well, the guy put up with a lot of crap here, some of it was deserved but a lot of it wasnt

Superstar Shane
Can't wait to see Kordell tonight. Wonder how he'll do with everyone watching.
In all likelihood, he'll suck *** as normal.

Big McLargehuge
Overrated teams don't usually beat the Steelers by 21 points....

SuburbanRhythm
09-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Overrated teams don't usually beat the Steelers by 21 points....

Unless, of course, the Steelers themselves are vastly overrated. :teach:

AEKaki
09-15-2003, 10:20 AM
In all likelihood, he'll suck *** as normal.

Actually, I think he got creamed...

Big McLargehuge
09-15-2003, 02:49 PM
The Steelers got absolutely ZERO respect in the off-season. This still is a championship calibur team and only Troy ****ing Aikman predicted us to even go to the Super Bowl out of the 100some predictions I've read...

The Chiefs are a damn good team and I honestly was very, very worried about that game. We killed ourselves though, but we should be getting Porter back next week...that coupled with playing Cincy should turn the team around.

PensFan68
09-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Hopefully we don't overlook the Bungals . It would sure be a shame to lose against them.

PensFan68
09-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Bucco's beat the Reds tonight. By the numbers, it looks like Vogelsong pitched a pretty decent 5 innings(no runs).

Doesn't look like we did too well at the plate though, even though we scored 6 runs.

Mr. T
09-16-2003, 01:46 AM
Hopefully we don't overlook the Bungals . It would sure be a shame to lose against them.

They always give us fits once a year. Maybe we should play the Bus, he usually tunes up Cinci for about 100 yards.

click here for the best football site ever (http://mikebrownsucks.com/)
Click legal action info, then click 'Our Response to the Cease and Desist'. The last paragraph is priceless.

PensFan68
09-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Bucco's got beat by the Reds today(12-4). Perez's numbers don't look too bad. Gave up 4 runs in 5 innings, but also had 4 K's and 1 BB. Gave up 2 HR's which probably hurt him(didn't see the game).

Koltsov71
09-18-2003, 03:43 AM
Anyone else looking forward to the massive amount of rain that is supposed to hit the Pittsburgh area tonight/tomorrow morning?

Robert Paulson*
09-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Anyone else looking forward to the massive amount of rain that is supposed to hit the Pittsburgh area tonight/tomorrow morning?

Me :) Besides the possible flooding and damage and stuff, I think it'll be cool to be a part of a tropical storm.

PensFan68
09-18-2003, 11:58 AM

I just can't wait. ;)

Mr. T
09-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Pirates shutout the Reds today. 7-0.

7 innings from Wells with only 2 hits. Redman had 3 hits to raise his average to .311.

With Redman, Bay, Davis, Wilson and possibly Stairs and Sanders, our outfield could be interesting next year.

P.S. If we win our last 10 games we'll be at .500 for the year. Personally, I'll say 7-3 for the rest of the year.

PensFan68
09-18-2003, 06:41 PM
I would love to see either Stairs or Sanders back next year. I think either of them would be great to have to be a full time OF'er along with our younger guys. Sanders will probably be looking for too much, but I'd be happy to see Stairs back.

Ticallion961
09-22-2003, 09:26 PM
I don't know how many football fans there are here, but if there are any, does anyone else love who well Chad Scott is playing for the steelers right now. Dewayne Washington is still having his problems, but Scott and the rest of the secondary are playing a lot better than last season. Even against Kansas City they played very well. Its very encouraging to say the least.

butchers_dog
09-23-2003, 07:51 AM
I am a bit mixed on Scott. I think Washington is the better corner, although Scott has played better this year.

One observation I have is Antwaan Randle El is not getting the job done on punt returns. I think Ike should be given a couple more chances. Maybe they don't have the confidence in him yet though, El does have really good hands.

No Quarter
09-23-2003, 09:12 AM
I am a bit mixed on Scott. I think Washington is the better corner, although Scott has played better this year.

One observation I have is Antwaan Randle El is not getting the job done on punt returns. I think Ike should be given a couple more chances. Maybe they don't have the confidence in him yet though, El does have really good hands.

I don't think Randle El has had any time whatsoever this year after he catches the ball. I can't blame that on him, I blame it on year after year of sub-par special teams play.

Unholy Diver
09-25-2003, 02:14 PM
I wonder why they traded for kick return specialist freddie millons and then havent given him a chance to play yet

Ticallion961
09-25-2003, 04:38 PM
I wonder why they traded for kick return specialist freddie millons and then havent given him a chance to play yet

Well, Randle El is electric when he gets the ball, so i'd leave him on punt and kicks, the other guy on kicks is ike taylor (or something like that) i'm not sure what his story is, but i'm guessing millons will see some action relativley soon, just to add some life to the return team. A kick return touchdown would do wonders for the special teams

DJ Spinoza
09-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Larry Fitzgerald is flat out awesome.:bow:

Mr. T
09-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Larry Fitzgerald is flat out awesome.:bow:

TD catch in the 4th? That was amazing. Even my girlfriend who hates football stopped to admire it.

sparkle twin
09-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Larry Fitzgerald is flat out awesome. :bow:
He's my new hero! :bow: :bow: :bow: *coughheismancough*

Mr. T
09-29-2003, 01:46 AM
He's my new hero! :bow: :bow: :bow: *coughheismancough*
I hope we mop up the floor with Notre Dame.

DJ Spinoza
09-29-2003, 03:24 PM
Oh yeah!:yo:

BTW, what time is the ND game? Just so I remember to watch in on vacation...Good thing it's Notre Dame, it'll definitely be on national TV then.

Mr. T
09-29-2003, 03:30 PM
Oh yeah!:yo:

BTW, what time is the ND game? Just so I remember to watch in on vacation...Good thing it's Notre Dame, it'll definitely be on national TV then.

October 11th at 6:00 on ESPN.

DJ Spinoza
09-29-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks man...

Bad thing is, that's when I come back from vacation (will be driving in the car). I guess I'll try to find the ESPN radio station where I'm at.

kutdacheez
10-06-2003, 11:42 AM
The next time you hear some Stiller Fan opening his pie-hole about how smart the Stillers are (drafting) compared to the Penguins check the Stiller cornerbacks to the goalie just signed by the Pens.

Unholy Diver
10-07-2003, 07:02 PM
The next time you hear some Stiller Fan opening his pie-hole about how smart the Stillers are (drafting) compared to the Penguins check the Stiller cornerbacks to the goalie just signed by the Pens.

good point since the pens drafted 1st overall and the steelers are usually at the end of the round

though i think we may be suprised when Fleury gets benched for Craig Hillier

Jacob
10-07-2003, 10:11 PM

The point is really moot anyway though, isn't it? I mean, it'd make about as much sense as comparing hockey to a baseball draft.

Mr. T
10-08-2003, 05:21 AM
Anyone else kind of happpy when the Steelers lose? Don't get me wrong, they're my favorite team, but seeing all those angry and depressed yinzers really brings a smile to my face.

Big McLargehuge
10-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Any Pittsburghers want to meet up at Kennywood for Phantom Fright Nights?

Possible dates are: October 17, 18, 24, 25

The 25th is my birthday as well :)

Mr. T
10-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Any Pittsburghers want to meet up at Kennywood for Phantom Fright Nights?

Possible dates are: October 17, 18, 24, 25

The 25th is my birthday as well :)

Me and the old lady want to go (as she's never been to Kennywood), so sure.

Big McLargehuge
10-11-2003, 07:05 AM
She's never been to Kennywood?

Good lord, you gotta go!

I'm a member of ACE (American Coaster Enthusiasts) and they're holding an event there for Phantom Fright Nights friday the 17th so I'll try to go then, if possible. Only problem is finding a ride, hopefully my sister or dad can get off that night off.

Unholy Diver
10-11-2003, 04:01 PM
does anyone know what happened to brandon miree?

Pitt is trying to lose this game

Mr. T
10-12-2003, 03:58 AM
does anyone know what happened to brandon miree?

Pitt is trying to lose this game

His leg apparently has a really, really big bruise.

I freaking hate Notre Dame. Their grads are more obnoxious than Ivy League ones.

Koltsov71
10-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Elam gets a 48 yard field goal to win the game for Denver.

Koltsov71
10-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Anyone else kind of happpy when the Steelers lose? Seeing all those angry and depressed yinzers really brings a smile to my face.

:lol: Definitely saw alot of those tonight.

PensFan68
10-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Damn Brent Alexander. Ball wasn't even a hard pass. Just floated right to him. Although, I'm sure we would've let them just drive the field in OT anyway.

kutdacheez
10-13-2003, 12:15 PM
The point is really moot anyway though, isn't it? I mean, it'd make about as much sense as comparing hockey to a baseball draft.
:confused:

Unholy Diver
10-27-2003, 06:29 PM
Here we go Steelers, Here we go!

just a few more months till baseball season

is it possible that the pirates may have the closest thing to a winning team out of the steelers pens and bucs?

did i wake up in bizarro world?

Ric Flair
10-27-2003, 06:31 PM
did i wake up in bizarro world?

You have a Rerun avatar and you have to ask that?

Unholy Diver
10-28-2003, 07:11 PM
You have a Rerun avatar and you have to ask that?

hey Raj....er mb....you know that its just in memoriam and before long I'll return to Tor or Dio or something Evil :madfire:

DJ Spinoza
11-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Pitt beats Boston Collge today, guess Pittsburgh was 2-0 against Boston today.:D

Have fun in the ACC, losers.:yo:

Big game next week vs Virginia Tech.

PensFan68
11-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Pitt beats Boston Collge today, guess Pittsburgh was 2-0 against Boston today.:D

Have fun in the ACC, losers.:yo:

Big game next week vs Virginia Tech.

And congrats to Fitzgerald for breaking the consecutive games with a TD record.

PensFan68
11-01-2003, 01:59 PM
What a day:

Pens come back to win

Pitt wins

Fitzgerald sets a record

Penn State loses

Unholy Diver
11-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Today things will go back to normalcy as the Stillers will get pounded by Seattle

Big McLargehuge
11-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Who thought at this point of the year the Penguins would have more wins than the Steelers?

pathetic.

Eli Manning here we come!

PensFan68
11-02-2003, 02:29 PM

We'll draft someone we don't need. Maybe another WR/QB.

PensFan68
11-02-2003, 02:31 PM
As for the game, it's not like I was surprised by the outcome, but it was still disappointing. The O had glimpses early in the game, then would die off. Then, they finally get it going, and it's too late, and the D doesn't help out at all by giving up a TD right after we got one.

This secondary is absolutely pathetic. If they were at least average we would probably look alot better.

Are there any good secondary players that will be early draft favorites? I know we need a QB, but we really need to solve this d-backs situation. A QB won't mean anything if we just let up TD's every time we get one.

Big McLargehuge
11-02-2003, 02:33 PM
We'll draft someone we don't need. Maybe another WR/QB.

Give the Steelers credit where it's due, they draft with the best of them.

It'll either be a QB or a CB that we take.

The Tang
11-02-2003, 06:59 PM

It'll either be a QB or a CB that we take.hopefully a cb. scott and washington cant cover anything that can run. and even then im skeptical.

Ticallion961
11-02-2003, 08:09 PM
hopefully a cb. scott and washington cant cover anything that can run. and even then im skeptical.

A CB is definately the primary need. not sure if anyone stands out in the upcoming draft, but we are sure to have a decent pick if we keep it up

Mr. T
11-03-2003, 07:59 AM

Sounds good to me. Maybe the Stillers should join the Pirates and Pens in building for the future. Hell, that could become Picksburgh's new catch phrase...

iagreewithidiots
11-04-2003, 02:37 AM
I know we need a QB, but we really need to solve this d-backs situation. A QB won't mean anything if we just let up TD's every time we get one.

Id have a hard time with that argument being used to justify taking a CB over a QB.

You could easily say that without a good QB there is no threat of a passing game and the running game can be keyed on. QB effects more positions then any other. I dont want to see those DBs get tired because the offense goes 3 and out all the time.

Lets not give them too much credit. They are better than average but I wouldnt say they are as good as anyone.

PensFan68
11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Today's post gazette is saying that Washington is being benched for Townsend. Not like Townsend is going to be any better.

Big McLargehuge
11-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Townsend is a million times better than Washington.

Granted a drunken mule is better than Washington the fact remains.

Washington is the second worst CB I've ever seen. Hank Poteat being the worst...

Washington can tackle with the best of them but his coverage skills are pathetic.

He makes Chad Scott look like Champ ****ing Bailey...

Anyways, I saw on KDKA a few days ago that a few ESPN reporters are reporting that the Steelers are one of the 3 teams interested in acquiring the rights to Drew Hensen from Houston. Most say that Hensen would have gone first overall a couple years ago if he would have gone into the draft, but instead he chose baseball(Yankees) and flamed out.

Mr. T
11-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Anyways, I saw on KDKA a few days ago that a few ESPN reporters are reporting that the Steelers are one of the 3 teams interested in acquiring the rights to Drew Hensen from Houston. Most say that Hensen would have gone first overall a couple years ago if he would have gone into the draft, but instead he chose baseball(Yankees) and flamed out.

I've been saying that for a year. Give them a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Phantom, did they mention who the other teams are?

Koltsov71
11-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Just saw on the news that someone died from what happened with Chi-Chi's. :cry:

Can you imagine that? Going out to eat somewhere and dying from it? Makes me second guess going places now. I know I'll still go, in all probability, but it really makes you think.

DJ Spinoza
11-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Hey Va Tech:

A C CYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. T
11-09-2003, 06:23 AM
Hey Va Tech:

A C CYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that for a birthday present?

DJ Spinoza
11-09-2003, 09:10 AM
:D

Big McLargehuge
11-09-2003, 09:55 AM
PP's an uncle :)

My brother's first.

Evan Joseph Heyl, 8 pounds, 20" :D

Unholy Diver
11-09-2003, 10:10 AM
PP's an uncle :)

My brother's first.

Evan Joseph Heyl, 8 pounds, 20" :D

no way!

someone on the lounge just became an uncle too :D

The Tang
11-09-2003, 10:57 AM
congrats. ive got two nephews myself

PensFan68
11-09-2003, 04:14 PM
Anyone else go to the Pitt game yesterday? I went up, went to gameday in the morning, what a great day. The tailgating was fun, the fans were really pumped up for the game. The game was exciting, Heinz was rockin' all night. Place went crazy when we went up late, and when we got the INT. What a game, best football game I've ever been to(although I don't go to a whole lot).

And Penn State lost to Northwestern!! :lol:

DJ Spinoza
11-09-2003, 04:15 PM
:joker:
I wish I could have went. Is the Miami game at home? Maybe I'll talk my friend into going...My other friend and his dad and grandpap have season tickets, so he was there and I'm sure I'll hear all about it tommorow. (And we can shove it in the faces of the PSU fans in our class too!):rolly:

PensFan68
11-09-2003, 04:25 PM
I think the Miami game is on the 29th, and I'm almost positive it's at home. Don't think they have a time yet, but it should be a night game. If it is, it'll probably be better than yesterdays. Always better at night, more drinking involved. :D And

Unfortunetly I'm going out of town that weekend. I'll surely be missing a great game, and I know someone would've gotten me a ticket.

Oh well. Next week is WVU. It's a night game too, that would be a good one to go also(it's in Morgantown).

Big McLargehuge
11-09-2003, 06:45 PM
grrrrrrrr....*Pitt and Penn State fan*

Northwestern is 5-5, Penn State is 2-8. This ain't right...

at least Pitt is kicking mucho asso.

Big McLargehuge
11-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Heisman Race (http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=27690)

Shameless plug time ;)

DJ Spinoza
11-12-2003, 05:07 PM
He's been my avatar on the other board for weeks.

(obviously Fitzgerald;) )

:bow:

sparkle twin
11-12-2003, 10:41 PM
The Larry Line: 68 catches, 1,282 yards, 17 TD's :bow:

My favorite sign from Gameday was the Big East Backstabbers Tour: (that checked off the teams that Pitt beat)....BC- check; VT- check; Miami- next.

Big McLargehuge
11-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Indiana 7
Penn State 52

http://icb2.thrillinghill.com/gfx/faces/face_eyepopping.gif http://icb2.thrillinghill.com/gfx/faces/face_bowdown.gif http://icb2.thrillinghill.com/gfx/faces/face_bow.gif http://icb2.thrillinghill.com/gfx/faces/face_fattyb.gif http://icb2.thrillinghill.com/gfx/faces/face_rock.gif

Big McLargehuge
11-15-2003, 05:38 PM
wow...the Panthers.

Brilliant first half, Robert Morris-esque second half.

:cry:

PATHETIC. It seems like they're not even trying...

52-24 West Virginia now...god...pathetic....shoot me... :madfire:

Robert Paulson*
11-15-2003, 05:47 PM
The "Backyard Brawl" is turning into the "Backyard Massacre".. sheesh. :mad:

Big McLargehuge
11-15-2003, 05:56 PM
This is what has always made me not be a Rutherford fan. He's inconsistant as hell. Some games he'll look like Dan Marino, hell he did in the first half, but when he sucks he can be one of the worst QBs possible.

He's been great most of the season but he really cost the Panthers alot tonight. The defense though needs to take the brink of the blame though...they just didn't show up in the second half period.

We get to rebound with Temple next week to prepare for Miami.

Here's hoping the Mountaineers lose one of their next two(Syracuse and Temple)...if a team that started 1-4 gets into a BCS bowl all hell will break loose..

kutdacheez
11-21-2003, 02:59 AM
Little Johnny was in his 6th grade class when the teacher asked the
children what their fathers did for a living. All the typical answers came
up -- fireman, policeman, salesman, etc. Johnny was being
uncharacteristically quiet and so the teacher asked him about his father.

"My father's an exotic dancer in a gay cabaret and takes off all of his
clothes in front of other men. Sometimes, if the offer's really good,
he'll go out to the alley with some guy and make love with him for money."

The teacher, obviously shaken by this statement, hurriedly set the other
children to work on some coloring, and took Little Johnny aside to ask him,
"Is that really true about your father?"

"No" said Johnny, "He plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I was too
embarrassed to say that in front of the other kids."

Mr. T
11-23-2003, 07:12 AM
Little Johnny was in his 6th grade class when the teacher asked the
children what their fathers did for a living. All the typical answers came
up -- fireman, policeman, salesman, etc. Johnny was being
uncharacteristically quiet and so the teacher asked him about his father.

"My father's an exotic dancer in a gay cabaret and takes off all of his
clothes in front of other men. Sometimes, if the offer's really good,
he'll go out to the alley with some guy and make love with him for money."

The teacher, obviously shaken by this statement, hurriedly set the other
children to work on some coloring, and took Little Johnny aside to ask him,
"Is that really true about your father?"

"No" said Johnny, "He plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I was too
embarrassed to say that in front of the other kids."

A classic.

Plan 9
11-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Steelers got the win today. :)

Big McLargehuge
11-23-2003, 11:21 AM
over the Browns none the less :D

Ticallion961
11-23-2003, 11:26 AM
over the Browns none the less :D

a win is a win...hopefully the bengals loose

Ticallion961
11-23-2003, 01:01 PM
a win is a win...hopefully the bengals loose

God damn it, how did the ravens come back and win...very upsetting

Unholy Diver
12-01-2003, 08:59 PM
T-minus 3 months till bucco spring training

Unholy Diver
12-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Almost forgot to add the big news

Pirates sign Honest Abe Nunez to a one year deal in the neigborhood of 600K

well I looked for a link but didnt find any

I heard it on ESPN radio so I'm sure they wouldnt lie

PensFan68
12-02-2003, 07:19 PM
I read that they signed Nunez too. He isn't a bad backup though. Although with Wilson, Hill, and Sanchez being the top 3 middle infielders, it probably wasn't all that necessary to resign him.

Unholy Diver
12-20-2003, 07:11 AM
Joe Beimel inked to a one yr deal yesterday

world series here we come!

PensFan68
12-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Would've rather signed Lincoln.

Unholy Diver
12-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Chris Stynes signed with the buccos today, the rich keep getting richer

Robert Paulson*
12-24-2003, 06:43 AM
How much you wanna bet they'll be gone come deadline time?
I think a lot fo these guys sign with the Pirates hoping they'll get traded to a contender.

Big McLargehuge
12-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Would've rather signed Lincoln.

seriously...why was he let go?

I only found out yesterday...

Chris Stynes signed with the buccos today, the rich keep getting richer

No suprise to me, I expected to see him in a Pirates uni this year...bleh.

So I guess he and Mackowiak will platoon at third now...weeeeeeeee

PensFan68
12-24-2003, 12:34 PM
No clue why Lincoln wasn't signed. I thought he did well out of the pen.

As for Stynes, I'm disappointed in the signing. I think the close to $1 mil. we gave to him should've been given to Stairs and Mack should've played 3rd. I think he could do better offensively, but his D wouldn't be as good.

Jacob
12-27-2003, 12:33 PM
I don't really mind the Stynes signing.

Unholy Diver
12-27-2003, 01:15 PM
hes not a bad utility guy and for 700k or so they could have done a lot worse

Big McLargehuge
12-27-2003, 01:58 PM
hes not a bad utility guy and for 700k or so they could have done a lot worse

Yeah, he's a good utility guy and is cheap...but the fact is he's not going to be used as a utility man he's going to be used as our starter :cry:

Also Pitt...more specifically Rod Rutherford...blew the Continental Tire Bowl. This guy is about as clutch as Scott Norwood...

Unholy Diver
12-27-2003, 03:31 PM
Also Pitt...more specifically Rod Rutherford...blew the Continental Tire Bowl. This guy is about as clutch as Scott Norwood...

I think its time to send "Not my Fault" Walt packing, he has done about all he is going to do here

Big McLargehuge
12-27-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm just glad Rutherford's reign is over here. I've never been a fan and I think Palko can be huge.

Unholy Diver
12-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Chad Hermansen signed a minor league deal with the blue jays today

could be a pittsburgh toronto world series

DJ Spinoza
12-27-2003, 05:07 PM
It doesn't matter, this season was a disappointment either way.

Pitt blew a chance to take it to the next level this year. All they had to do was beat West Virginia.

Also, Go Steelers tommorow. Hopefully, the Bungles end up in first place in the division. :handclap:

KaysFata
12-28-2003, 02:57 PM
I hate the way the Steelers have treated Mark Bruener this season....he's such a class guy and the best blocking tight end in the NFL in my opinion and he was pretty much treated like a nothing cause Maddox needed toys to play with.

PensFan68
12-29-2003, 11:17 AM
I think the reason Riemersma(sp?) was brought in and moved ahead of Bruener was because he was more of a catching TE. I think the Steelers really planned on being more of a passing team, but with the o-line not giving Maddox any time, and Maddox not playing smart all year, it just didn't work out.

I wasn't too upset with the loss yesterday. I would've rather taken the loss than let Lewis break the record against us. I'm glad they got the FG in OT so Lewis wouldn't have another shot.

DJ Spinoza
12-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Well, this has to do with the Pens, but I didn't think it deserved it's own thread.

Today on Mark Madden's show he said he was told that if a new arena deal wasn't in place by the time the CBA is settled, then the Pens will go up for sale to the highest bidder.

This is according to someone else who heard the show today and posted it on LetsGoPens.com. I did not hear this for myself, and all I know if basically what I directly quoted from LetsGoPens.com.

Jacob
12-30-2003, 12:09 AM
They've been saying that for a while now, they now just have a set date.

Unholy Diver
12-31-2003, 05:18 AM
I bid 9 bucks

DJ Spinoza
01-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Another Pens related topic that doesn't merit it's own thread.

CP was at the Baby Pens game today and there are rumors floating around that changes will be made tommorow. It's from the LGP.com board.

I don't put too much stock in this, we'll see tommorow. Like a fool, I'll get my hopes up only to have them smashed again.

Unholy Diver
01-03-2004, 07:28 PM
maybe Boileau is going down

DJ Spinoza
01-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Well, with Focht possibly hurt, maybe there is room for one guy...But if they bring up more than one, he's a possibility.

The post also said do not be surprised to see some veterans dealt, but I don't know how they get this from just knowing CP was at the Baby Pens game.

We'll find out in a little over 12 hours, I guess.

Unholy Diver
01-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Pitchers and catchers report on Feb 19th

thank goodness

No Quarter
01-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Today Cowher, after stating last week no coaching changes will be made, fired defensive coordinator Tim Lewis and receivers coach Kenny Jackson.
I don't know who's worse at saying one thing and BAMMMM, out of the blue, does the total opposite him or Criag Patrick. :dunno:

Big McLargehuge
01-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Lewis is a great coach, but our defense definitely was missing something this year, and it wasn't all our secondary's fault(we actually were in the top half of the league in passing yards allowed methinks).

DJ Spinoza
01-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Lewis > Mularkey

PensFan68
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
I think this was a real bad move for the Steelers. IMO, Lewis won't have a hard time finding a job.

Unholy Diver
01-07-2004, 03:22 PM
I think it might be a good move to get some fresh blood in the coaching staff

Big McLargehuge
01-07-2004, 03:23 PM

Agreed

We've had the same staff almost completely for three years now with the exception of special teams.

We were great that first year, good the second year, and horrible that third year.

Can't fire the players, fire the coaches...

PensFan68
01-07-2004, 06:15 PM

After I actually think about it, I guess that's a good point. May be time to put our trust in some different coaches.

No Quarter
01-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Honestly, I'm not the kinda guy to sugest lynching the head coach after a piss poor season, but in my opinion we need to make a change in that area.
Cowhers game is old and worn out.
I'd love to see some young blood at the head coach position.
Also, I think Mularky should've gotten the axe before Lewis.
Why in the hell would you not keep pluggin away at the run in a Blizzard of a six point game against the Jets?
I'm actually a Maddox fan, and I don't blame him in the least for that loss. It was a total coaching blunder.

Big McLargehuge
01-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Anytime you feel depressed about Penguins management do yourself a favor and look at the Pirates.

In an effort to cut the team salary from 52 million to 35 million the Pirates are going to most likely trade Jason Kendall to the Padres any day now.

For Ramon Hernandez and Jeff Cirillo.

Now Hernandez is a decent catcher, no doubt about it...he has power(23 dingers last year) and a decent bat(.273 for a defensive catcher)...but Cirillo will make 700k less than Kendall next year...meanwhile Hernandez will make 2.3 next year meaning we're spending 1.5 million more after the trade...and we're still going to have to pay part of Kendall's contract.

I'm starting to wonder if Littlefield is actually worse than Cam Bonifay...which I never thought was possible.

Unholy Diver
01-13-2004, 02:59 PM
I have very little doubt that Diamond Dave Littlefield is worse than Cam Bonifay, he makes the stiffs that Craig Patrick gets back in trades seem like a lot in comparison to the piles of dog crap that he has gotten

Big McLargehuge
01-13-2004, 03:17 PM
I must thank the San Diego Padres, who nixed the deal at the last minute today.

They wanted more money http://icb2.thrillinghill.com/gfx/faces/face_plain.gif

DJ Spinoza
01-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Mularky = New head coach of the Bills. You can look it up for yourself, I need to study now. :p

Big McLargehuge
01-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Mularky = New head coach of the Bills. You can look it up for yourself, I need to study now. :p

I'll miss his trick plays but I won't miss his redundant red zone play calling.

PensFan68
01-13-2004, 07:02 PM
I would've liked the SD deal if there was no money being exchanged. I think Hernandez would be better than Kendall and I wouldn't mind adding some salary(Cirillo) to save about $20 mil. in the long run. Luckily, DL didn't back down and send money to SD.

PensFan68
01-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Steelers lose two more coaches today; Robinson to the 49'ers as d-coordinator and Clements joins Mularkey in Buffalo as the o-coordinator.

http://www.steelers.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=224650

I wonder how our staff is going to shape up. Perry will probably move to d-backs coach, and I would like to see LeBeau come back, but down in the other sports section (in the Mularkey thread) there is a post that he may be on his way to the Bills too. I hope the Steelers get going before the majority of the available coaches decide where they want to go.

PensFan68
01-16-2004, 07:55 PM
LeBeau is now officially our defensive coordinator. Great news. I'm thrilled to have him back.

Unholy Diver
01-17-2004, 08:04 AM
unfortunately he dosent have greg lloyd, kevin greene, chad brown, carnell lake and the like to work with this time around

PensFan68
01-17-2004, 08:07 AM
We still have a nice set of LB's though. Gildon is aging, but the other three are very good LB's.

Unholy Diver
01-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Looks like its a done deal and Larry Fitzgerald is goin pro

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1711902

No Quarter
01-18-2004, 04:59 PM
unfortunately he dosent have greg lloyd, kevin greene, chad brown, carnell lake and the like to work with this time around

Nor do we have Rod Woodsen, but we have Chad Scott and he has another year or so on his contract.
That's a decent player to build around like Rod was.
Isn't he? :dunno:

PensFan68
01-19-2004, 11:19 PM
The Pirates signed Wells and Wilson to one year contracts each. Wells is going to make about 2.6, can't find Wilson's salary though.

PensFan68
01-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Steelers promoted Whisenhunt to offensive coordinator and Grimm to assistant head coach. Don't know much about Whisenhunt. Wonder how he'll do.

http://steelers.com/news/index.cfm?source=st&cont_id=225270&right_include=/includes/news_module.cfm

Big McLargehuge
01-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Well Mularkey was our TE coach before being promoted and the Steelers generally have had amazing luck with promoting from within so I like it.

Unholy Diver
01-20-2004, 08:24 PM
and the head coach at UMass is supposed to be Tom Clements replacement Mike Whipple or something like that

PensFan68
01-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Supposedly Whipple and Arians(WR coach) will be announced tomorrow. Nice little write up about Arians. Don't know much about him, but seems to have quite a bit of experience and looks like a good hire.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04022/264369.stm

Big McLargehuge
01-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Major ****ing Steelers News

Reports out of LaLa Land are that the Steelers have offered Jason Gildon and the 11th overall pick to the San Diego Chargers for the 1st overall pick. The Cardinals have also offered up but the Chargers weren't interested, they are apparently in talks with the Steelers though.

Now, if, and rest assured that is one gigantic ****ing if, this trade does go down I highly doubt it'll be Gildon and #11 for #1, there would have to be more thrown in on our side, but regardless...holy ****ing crap.

Perhaps the Steelers would offer Burress and the #11 for the #1 to try to grab Fitzgerald(that is a trade that very well could happen, Burress is a FA after 2004 and may be out of our reach price wise) or perhaps the Steelers really are in it for Manning/Roethlisberger(it's common knowledge the Steelers are in love with Roethlisberger).

Either way...damn.

Source: XTRA Sports Radio 690 LA/SteelerWatch (http://www.steelerwatch.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27816&perpage=21&pagenumber=1)

Also just out of curiosity I really want to see when, if ever, three sports teams from the same city have picked first overall in back-to-back-to-back seasons with different teams each year?

2002- Bryan Bullington for the Pirates
2003- Marc-Andre Fleury for the Penguins
2004- Eli Manning/Ben Roethlisberger/Larry Fitzgerald for the Steelers???

PensFan68
01-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Wow, that would be one hell of a deal if the Steelers could pull it off. I agree with you though, I'm sure we'll have to include something else though, but I guess you never know, maybe SD really wants a veteran LB.

If we do get the 1st pick, I'd rather go for a QB. It would be great to get Fitzgerald, but I think we'll be just fine with Ward and either Burress or Randle El.

I do have a question about dealing Burress though, what do you realistically think he could bring us alone? Say we deal to get the 1st overall. Would it be possible to deal Burress somewhere and get maybe a mid round 1st pick if there is still a good RB or CB available?

Big McLargehuge
01-22-2004, 07:03 PM
If Burress is traded it's along with the #11 pick for the first pick.

That's the only way I see him being traded, and that would signal Fitzgerald's start as a Steeler.

Unholy Diver
01-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Pikksburghs getting a basketball team! hooray hooray

the Pittsburgh Hard Hats start play in the new ABA in november

Big McLargehuge
01-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Pikksburghs getting a basketball team! hooray hooray

the Pittsburgh Hard Hats start play in the new ABA in november

link?

That has got to be the worst name ever...it's worse than the ****ing Pipers...

Unholy Diver
01-23-2004, 06:23 PM
link?

That has got to be the worst name ever...it's worse than the ****ing Pipers...

here yinz go

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/04023/264730.stm

and as for the big name coach, the commisioner Jeff Newman was on the Stan Savran show today on the radio and Ellis Cannon filling in for Stan asked him if he could divulge the name if the coach and if it was Chuck Daly and he said it wasnt Daly but it was a bigger name than Daly

who could it be?

Pat Riley?
Jordan?

or Maybe it's Dr J since he was in The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh

Big McLargehuge
01-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Interesting, at least they kept the black and gold color scheme of the city.

I'll probably go a game or two, especially if there's no hockey next season.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/images/200401/1074825299140.jpg

Unholy Diver
01-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Interesting, at least they kept the black and gold color scheme of the city.

I'll probably go a game or two, especially if there's no hockey next season.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/images/200401/1074825299140.jpg

me too, they said tix will be 5 and 10 bucks

I just wonder where they'll play, the commish said they try to stay in 3-4000 seat gyms so maybe it will be at the Palumbo center

PensFan68
01-29-2004, 09:53 PM
I'll definately go to a couple games. I don't mind watching basketball, although playing it is much more fun.

PensFan68
01-29-2004, 09:55 PM
The Pirates signed Jose Mesa to a minor league deal today. Not a great signing, but he has had a pretty decent past and he may still have something to prove. Would've rather gotten Urbina, but evidentally he's looking for too much-and we shouldn't need a great closer anyway.

Big McLargehuge
01-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Mesa makes Williams look like Billy Wagner.

Mesa has been godawful the past few years and doesn't deserve to be in the majors, plain and simple. Awful signing, even if it's a minor league deal I don't want this guy near my team.

No Quarter
01-29-2004, 11:23 PM
The Pirates signed Jose Mesa to a minor league deal today. Not a great signing, but he has had a pretty decent past and he may still have something to prove. Would've rather gotten Urbina, but evidentally he's looking for too much-and we shouldn't need a great closer anyway.

No way in hell would The Pirates pay Urbina.
That guy is a top 5 closer in all of baseball. Potentially top 3.

PensFan68
01-29-2004, 11:26 PM
While I do agree it isn't a that good of a signing, I wouldn't say Mesa has been "godawful." This last year was rough(and it will probably continue) but the two before that he was 7-9, 87 saves(13 blown saves), with a 2.65 ERA.

I think he was brought in for some competition, we'll see what happens though.

PensFan68
01-29-2004, 11:28 PM
No way in hell would The Pirates pay Urbina.
That guy is a top 5 closer in all of baseball. Potentially top 3.

Well, he must be letting that get to his head if no team out there has signed him yet. I know he is a top closer, but it looks like he's going to have to bring his price down(don't know what he's asking for) if he wants to stay in the majors.

Unholy Diver
01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Hopefully Senor Smoke can regain his form from 2 years ago 45 svs era under 3

he cant be any worse than the stiffs they ran out there nightly last year

No Quarter
01-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Well, he must be letting that get to his head if no team out there has signed him yet. I know he is a top closer, but it looks like he's going to have to bring his price down(don't know what he's asking for) if he wants to stay in the majors.

Watch the friggen Yankees sign him to set up Rivera.

PensFan68
01-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Watch the friggen Yankees sign him to set up Rivera.

Sure wouldn't be a surprise.

Big McLargehuge
01-30-2004, 12:28 AM

Not to mention he was shooting a gun in a rich community a couple weeks ago.

Urbina has driven his price down weekly in the off-season...I still want him badly though, if for nothing else because he would bring a hell of a return at the deadline, like he did for the Rangers last season.

No Quarter
01-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Not to mention he was shooting a gun in a rich community a couple weeks ago.

Urbina has driven his price down weekly in the off-season...I still want him badly though, if for nothing else because he would bring a hell of a return at the deadline, like he did for the Rangers last season.

Very,very valid point about the trade deadline return.