Finland's first line center in the next WJC?

Pekka Lampinen
04-18-2004, 06:55 AM
The last four tournaments have yielded medals, much thanks to first line centers (Hämäläinen, Immonen, Ruutu, Filppula) who have contributed a total of over a point per game. The lack of a clear-cut player at this position is not the only weakness of the '85-born age group, but it has to be addressed somehow. Most of the best options have also played wing. Who will be the man?

Padawan
04-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Gotta go with Piispanen. Although Alikoski comes pretty close and he could be the second line center imo.

If Piispanen develops his strenght in the summer and doesn't get injured, then I think he is a major contender for #1 center spot.

Jyssy
04-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Arsi Piispanen, i think he will develop nicely next season when he gets to play SM-liiga instead of A-junior league.

Jussi
04-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Gotta go with Piispanen. Although Alikoski comes pretty close and he could be the second line center imo.

If Piispanen develops his strenght in the summer and doesn't get injured, then I think he is a major contender for #1 center spot.

But will Piispanen play center? That is the real question. He only played center with Jokerit juniors because they didn't have anyone better.

Based on the top scorers list at the current U-18 WC, I'd say Korpikoski might have chance if he gets to play with Tukonen and Nokelainen.

Korkki
04-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Gloryhunting JYP -fans are now saying Piispanen, but if he would've played in Jokerit next season neither Padawan nor Jyssy would've said his name. So Jyssy, quit saying I am biased.

Piispanen however could be the guy, but as Jussi said, will he play in center? Or how will the line combinations be? Seitsonen is a Joker card for this speculation? Has anyone seen his games?

Marjamäki - Seitsonen - Tukonen sounds very good line and Piispanen - Jokila - Nokelainen a good other line and still Finland has Alikoski and Tenkanen and so, very wide center group in any case. Not the best guys in the world alone, but in a combination they sound a lot better.

Padawan
04-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Gloryhunting JYP -fans are now saying Piispanen, but if he would've played in Jokerit next season neither Padawan nor Jyssy would've said his name. So Jyssy, quit saying I am biased.
How could you know that? I would have chosen Piispanen no matter what. No matter where he would play. Like I chose Alikoski to be Piispanen's #1 contender for that spot. He doesn't play in JYP and I still chose him. Does that make me a homer?

Piispanen has tremendous amount of potential and he played well in Jokerit last season. Although he played mostly in the A junior team. IF and I said if he get more mass and raw power then he will be my choice. If not, then Alikoski is my choice.

Ströba
04-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Jokila (1+0) and Alikoski (0+0) were poor in U18 WJC (or their stats were). They couldn't produce points against top players of their age-group. Actually they were the biggest reasons why Finland missed "the playoffs".

It's only one tournament but it causes questions. Size matters? Tournament players? Soft players? "We produce against Ässät jnrs ;) and play like **** against good teams" kind of players?

Jesse Saarinen might be a dark horse. He will probably have big role in Pelicans.

Jyssy
04-19-2004, 05:13 AM

How would you know. I think he would have still been best option of those players. Yeah, it sucks that there are no good Ässät-nominees for this poll.