Slovakia: Roman Kukumberg

s7ark
04-26-2004, 04:35 AM
I spotted this kid in Slovakia's lineup, and noticed that he's 23, has decent size, a RH shot, and has 12 pts in 11 games with his club team (hk dukla) in their playoffs. He has also shown improvement over the last couple of years. I am wondering, does anyone know if there was ever NHL interest shown in this guy? What kind of player is he? Any reason no one is looking at him, or has he just flown under the radar so far?

Golbez
04-27-2004, 12:46 AM
I spotted this kid in Slovakia's lineup, and noticed that he's 23, has decent size, a RH shot, and has 12 pts in 11 games with his club team (hk dukla) in their playoffs. He has also shown improvement over the last couple of years. I am wondering, does anyone know if there was ever NHL interest shown in this guy? What kind of player is he? Any reason no one is looking at him, or has he just flown under the radar so far?

Kukumberg is an excellent player for European leagues, and will probably get a lucrative contract from a Czech or Russian team (Or Finnish/Swedish). He's a lot like Tomas Surovy... not that big, not that swift, but just so damn productive.
Like Surovy, he lit up the 1st division, and then moved to the Extraliga and lit up that league too.
NHL teams obviously don't like his lack of big size or the fact he's not known for being a speed demon. I'm glad he made the WC team as the scouts can finally get a look at him.

And don't forget about defenseman Dominik Granak...undersized but very skilled...he's been a key defender for Slavia Praha the last 2 years, but the neanderthal NHL scouts only look at the fact that he isn't 6 feet tall.

s7ark
04-27-2004, 02:36 AM
Kukumberg is an excellent player for European leagues, and will probably get a lucrative contract from a Czech or Russian team (Or Finnish/Swedish). He's a lot like Tomas Surovy... not that big, not that swift, but just so damn productive.
Like Surovy, he lit up the 1st division, and then moved to the Extraliga and lit up that league too.
NHL teams obviously don't like his lack of big size or the fact he's not known for being a speed demon. I'm glad he made the WC team as the scouts can finally get a look at him.

And don't forget about defenseman Dominik Granak...undersized but very skilled...he's been a key defender for Slavia Praha the last 2 years, but the neanderthal NHL scouts only look at the fact that he isn't 6 feet tall.
Thanks for the info! I assumed that he'd play a similar game to Petrovicky (who I have seen play quite a few times), and that some NHL team would atleast be slightly interested. I would've thought his production (in what seems to be fairly defensive hockey) would override slight speed and size concerns. I noticed he hasn't gotten a point yet in the WHC, but I wonder if someone will take a chance on him based on the tourney. He is entering his prime, and RH shots are at a premium on most teams.

brian
05-04-2004, 07:11 PM
I actually remember this kid from the 2000 WJC where Slovakia had to beat Ukraine in a shootout to avoid relegation. All the hype on that team was on Gaborik and Tomas Kopecky and the fact that the team hated their coach. But Kukemberg did look pretty good in that tournament and I kept his name in the back of my mind just in case he breaks through. Glad he did.

sgandour
06-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Leafs selected him today, 4th round