Aki Seitsonen -86
Valtteri Tenkanen JYP -85
Lauri Tukonen Blues -86
Matti Uusivirta Blues -85
Ville-Vesa Vainiola Lukko -85

Let the WJC speculation begin...

GKJ
04-27-2004, 09:39 AM
I saw Marjamaki in one game against Canada during last year's WJC's and I think he is a legit player who can do some big things. Not many 86's on the list though, is this a bad year in the draft for Finland?

Fredrik
04-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Lots of players but are there any missing? Or are there players that you want to get rid of?

The 85 group is quite weak isn't it? And the 86 group too. Am I right?

jepjepjoo
04-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Lauri Tukonen - Lauri Korpikoski/Arsi Piispanen - Petteri Nokelainen
Masi Marjamäki - Aki Seitsonen - Teemu Nurmi

Forwards look good... Where's Jesse Joensuu?

Kyri
04-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Next WJC:

Marjamäki-Piispanen-Nokelainen
Korpikoski-Seitsonen-Tukonen
Salonen-Tenkanen-Nurmi
M.Keränen-Wirtanen-Uusivirta
Aaltonen

Kuukka-Mäntymaa
Korhonen-Laakso
Honkaheimo-Leppänen
Vainio

Kilpeläinen/Rask
(Hallikainen)

Korkki
04-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Where are Joensuu and Tasku??? The squad is so wide that they should both be there (although Joensuu was hurt in U18 Championships)

EDIT: Just a briefly this time, but how many of these players are ahead of Tasku here (http://www.sm-liiga.fi/finhockey2/sjl_tulospalvelu_stat.asp?TID=1186&top=0&porssi=1&laaja=1&tilasto=porssi&pelaajatyyppi=0)? And don't say anything about linemates because Tasku was playing with Joensuu and Takala (not so potential center) most of the season...

Pekka Lampinen
04-28-2004, 02:54 AM
Junior A players outside this list hardly stand a chance making the final squad. For their own sake, Tasku and Joensuu had better crack the pro team next fall. Kyri's squad looks good, the '85ers make a poor age group but now that the '86ers have matured some, the material isn't all that bad. The forwards are huge.

I expect Rask to outperform Kilpeläinen. Blueline depth is crucial; Hietanen, Hovinen and Leppänen must step up and, for Pete's sake, beat Vainio to the finish line. I don't care much for either Keränen, they are there only thanks to their experience. Wirtanen could have made a good role player, but Lahti may be able to fill that role too.

Panopticon
04-28-2004, 04:44 AM
Good to see Laakso make the camp roster, but I don't think he'll be in the team. Although he deserves to, but most these other guys already have SM-liiga experience.

Then again, the Laakso - Korhonen pair has been proven to be good letting only 3 goals in the U18 WJC and 2 of them were empty-netters.

Jyssy
04-28-2004, 05:59 AM
Great to see 5 players from JYP in roster. Lahti might be too young to crack the final WJC team. Piispanen, Leppänen and Tenkanen should be in the final WJC roster. Overall the roster looks good.

Panopticon
04-28-2004, 08:30 AM
BTW, why are there so many defenders. Only 6 forwards too many, but 7 defenders (that's a whole second team of defenders).

I'm pretty sure Laakso is going home, even though I obviously don't wish that. Well, he still has one more year with the U18 team and if he doesn't make the U20 team this year he can still play with them for 2 years after that.

Same obviously goes for Rask and Lahti.

IFK
04-28-2004, 10:39 AM
BTW, why are there so many defenders. Only 6 forwards too many, but 7 defenders (that's a whole second team of defenders).

I'm pretty sure Laakso is going home, even though I obviously don't wish that. Well, he still has one more year with the U18 team and if he doesn't make the U20 team this year he can still play with them for 2 years after that.

I think its sure that Laakso is next U20 team. He is maybe best defender of the world on his own age. This year U20 team there was Tukonen and Nokelainen -86 born and next U20 Finnis team is weaker than this year so thats why i think Duffa will choose Laakso, Jokelainen and Rask. My opinion is that every countrys coach will choose Laakso to those championships if Laakso has they countrys pass. I think that Laakso is now or come to be next WJC to 1st,2nd or 3rd best of those Finnis defender who they choose this camp. Laakso is going to be next year draft one of the first round early choose so i think it is obviously that he goes WJC.

jepjepjoo
04-28-2004, 10:46 AM

There's no chanche of Rask not making the team

Panopticon
04-28-2004, 11:20 AM
I think its sure that Laakso is next U20 team. He is maybe best defender of the world on his own age. This year U20 team there was Tukonen and Nokelainen -86 born and next U20 Finnis team is weaker than this year so thats why i think Duffa will choose Laakso, Jokelainen and Rask. My opinion is that every countrys coach will choose Laakso to those championships if Laakso has they countrys pass. I think that Laakso is now or come to be next WJC to 1st,2nd or 3rd best of those Finnis defender who they choose this camp. Laakso is going to be next year draft one of the first round early choose so i think it is obviously that he goes WJC.

I can't disagree with you there. I'm probably the biggest Teemu Laakso fan in the world and I would love to see him in the team and getting drafted late in the first round (to get to a better team). I'm just trying not to get my hopes too high.

There's no chanche of Rask not making the team

1 chance: injury.

I'm just saying that even if these kids miss the next U20 WJC, there will still be a few to come.

Pekka Lampinen
04-29-2004, 03:03 AM
Goalies:

Jesse Kosonen TPS
Tero Parkkinen K-67
Juha Toivonen HPK

Defensemen:

Rony Ahonen HIFK
Niko Hannula Ilves
Joni Haverinen HIFK
Antti Jaatinen Pelicans
Kim Kauttonen TPS
Riku Korpinen Jokerit
Mikael Kurki Jokerit
Tommi Leinonen Kärpät
Henrik Maunula TPS
Juho Mielonen Ilves
Jukka-Pekka Neuvo Ässät
Timo Seppänen HIFK
Tomi Tuomainen KalPa

Forwards:

Jonas Enlund HIFK
Mika Halava Ässät
Jarkko Hattunen Pelicans
Tommi Huhtala Ilves
Jesse Joensuu Ässät
Joona Karevaara HPK
Joonas Koskinen Tappara
Mikko Lehtonen Blues
Perttu Lindgren Ilves
Timi Marttinen JYP
Teemu Mustaniemi HIFK
Oskar Osala Sport
Jussi Peltomaa Ässät
Teemu Ramstedt HIFK
Antti Reijasalo Kärpät
Sami-Petteri Sandell Ilves
Kim Strömberg Jokerit
Tomi Virtanen TPS

Reserve:

Jani Nieminen HIFK
Tuomas Huhtanen Ässät
Antti Hölli Ilves

Korkki
04-29-2004, 06:21 AM
Well, Joensuu is luckily in that roster. However I think he should be in U20 roster, but maybe he has not fully recovered after his 3 injuries this year (2 minor though). And 4 players of Ässät in that roster, not bad at all however I would have picked Huhtanen as active instead of reserve.

I have earlier thought that J-P Neuvo is only riding with help of his dad (earlier chairman of Ässät juniors, CEO of Technip yards) but maybe he is also a skilled enough because he was chosen to the camp. He is the 7th player of Ässät 87's to play at least in a some kind of camp. Pretty weird that there aren't any players of Ässät 88's who have been on any camp of their agegroup (except Pohjola-leiri), because the 88's finished better on Finnish junior C league that 87's (3rd versus 4th).

The best 87's except Joensuu are on the U20 roster so there will be replacements for the final U18 team.

And please give a real explanation why Markku Flink or Matias Keränen are better than Petteri Tasku? The fact that they are playing in Helsinki area can't be the reason or is it really ...

TK79
04-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Well, Joensuu is luckily in that roster. However I think he should be in U20 roster, but maybe he has not fully recovered after his 3 injuries this year (2 minor though). And 4 players of Ässät in that roster, not bad at all however I would have picked Huhtanen as active instead of reserve.

I have earlier thought that J-P Neuvo is only riding with help of his dad (earlier chairman of Ässät juniors, CEO of Technip yards) but maybe he is also a skilled enough because he was chosen to the camp. He is the 7th player of Ässät 87's to play at least in a some kind of camp. Pretty weird that there aren't any players of Ässät 88's who have been on any camp of their agegroup (except Pohjola-leiri), because the 88's finished better on Finnish junior C league that 87's (3rd versus 4th).

The best 87's except Joensuu are on the U20 roster so there will be replacements for the final U18 team.

And please give a real explanation why Markku Flink or Matias Keränen are better than Petteri Tasku? The fact that they are playing in Helsinki area can't be the reason or is it really ...

Give up Korkki, you're so blatantly biased that it's not even funny anymore.. You don't see a lot of the guys that scored practically as much as Tasku in Junior A on the roster either. Aren't you also taking this "Helsinki-conspiricy theory" a little too far?

Korkki
04-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Give up Korkki, you're so blatantly biased that it's not even funny anymore.. You don't see a lot of the guys that scored practically as much as Tasku in Junior A on the roster either. Aren't you also taking this "Helsinki-conspiricy theory" a little too far?
I won't until I get a real answer. But ask anyone outside Helsinki area and he is absolutely sure that it is easier to get national teams from Helsinki area. But when the marginals are that big I can't understand.

EDIT: And this wasn't the first time. I was that mad around the last WJC (Canada 2002-3) when the coach chose to pick Janne Jalasvaara instead of Mika Rontti. I still can't understand that... Call me biased or what but I can't understand how the players are sometimes chosen. In Tasku case that is simply points which are better is his stats than lots of the players on roster, but if only experience counts then I could not understand why Jalasvaara took over the Rontti's place? More points maybe ;) But if the case is called Blues versus Ässät, then...

Pekka Lampinen
04-29-2004, 02:48 PM
It's hard to say how optimal the U18 roster is. I find it impossible to believe that Nieminen had suddenly fallen to the fifth place in the depth chart among netminders. On the other hand, and can't spot any other glaring omissions (maybe except the Jokerit forward Jan-Mikael Juutilainen, who was an U17 regular) I'm far from sure, but there don't seem to be any '88ers attending the camp.

MaV
04-29-2004, 03:35 PM
I find it impossible to believe that Nieminen had suddenly fallen to the fifth place in the depth chart among netminders.

I don't really know much about this K-67 guy but he had great numbers on their junior-B team, which I guess is not that great compared to the bigger clubs. Toivonen outplayed Nieminen in the last U17 tournament and Kosonen on the junior-B finals. So I guess you could say he is 4th now at least, maybe 5th. But I'd say that is because the goalies of -87 class are good, not beause Nieminen wouldn't be a good goalie any more.

I'm far from sure, but there don't seem to be any '88ers attending the camp.

There aren't any. I believe Teemu Mustaniemi is the youngest player, being born 31st of December in 1987.

Panopticon
04-29-2004, 05:31 PM
So, either 87 is a good year, or 88 is a really bad one...

Well, at least 87 has Rask and Laakso and Joensuu and those guys. Laakso and Rask probably being the best if you ask me. Joensuu and Lahti haven't really impressed me, but then again I haven't seen them play as much as I have seen Laakso. Rask only needed 3 games to convince me.

Gilgames
05-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Tuomas Santavuori has been left out of the squad for first time. Santavuori is extremely skillful player and his skating is mediocore, but he physical abilities are week. Tuomas will most likely play in SM-liiga for Pelicans next year so maybe he'll get his chance later. Pelicans coach is Finland U-20 assistant coach Petri Matikainen.