[FIN] Toni Söderholm

Predatore
05-11-2004, 08:15 AM
I have been pretty impressed by Söderholm this season when I've watched the Finnish national team play. Has he got any major flaws in his game? The reason I'm asking is because I find it a bit strange that he hasn't been drafted yet. He has decent size and from what I have seen appears to be a steady defenseman.

You think there is any chance he'll get drafted as an overager in June?

TK79
05-11-2004, 08:40 AM
There has been a lot of talk that he might be drafted this summer. I don't think he has any major flaws in his game, but he's not exceptional in any area either ie. he doesn't have a "world-class" attribute.I think he's also been a bit of a late bloomer, as he spent four years in the States playing NCAA hockey, and only played his first SM-liiga game in the 2002-2003 season.With Söde what you see is what you get, he's an very consistent performer. I think he has a resonably good chance to make it in the NHL as a 4th/5th defenseman.

+
skating
puckhandling
hockey-sense/reading plays

-
isn't overly psycical
shot (doesn't have the hardest slap-shot around)

Predatore
05-11-2004, 08:47 AM
thanks, TK79. It's appreciated.

Jussi
05-11-2004, 08:59 AM
TK79 forgot to mention that Söderholm doesn't need to be drafted. Because of his college years he's a free agent and can sign with anyone who wants him. And FYI, this has been mentioned previously here. I've told this atleast in a couple of older threads about Söderholm.

Seachd
05-12-2004, 09:51 PM
TK79 forgot to mention that Söderholm doesn't need to be drafted. Because of his college years he's a free agent and can sign with anyone who wants him. And FYI, this has been mentioned previously here. I've told this atleast in a couple of older threads about Söderholm.
Yep. There were rumours last offseason that Edmonton and Chicago were interested in him, but nothing came of it, obviously.