[FIN] Finland's starting goalie in the next WJC?

Pekka Lampinen
05-12-2004, 02:26 PM
As kind of a follow-up to the first line center poll, another big problem to solve and some big boots to fill. Jussi Markkanen, Miikka Kiprusoff, Vesa Toskala, Mika Noronen, Antero Niittymäki, Ari Ahonen, Kari Lehtonen, Hannu Toivonen, and then who?

eh
05-12-2004, 04:55 PM
I think they should go with Rask. There isn't much to lose and they should already be thinking about the years ahead when naming the team. Besides, he's probably already the best of the bunch.

GKJ
05-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Ville Hostikka!!!!!! :D

Pekka Lampinen
05-13-2004, 02:16 AM
All of these guys played in Jr. A SM-Liiga this season. With the exception of Tarkki, they all will continue to do so and that makes it a lot easier to compare them. For some reason I have an uneasy feeling about Rask's performance next fall, although top prospects rarely disappoint in a draft year.

1. Rask
2. Ahlqvist
3. Tarkki

Padawan
05-13-2004, 06:22 AM
All of these guys played in Jr. A SM-Liiga this season. With the exception of Tarkki, they all will continue to do so and that makes it a lot easier to compare them.

There is some rumors that Karri Rämö will play with the Pelicans SM-Liiga team almost all the season as a back up goalie. I don't know if this is true but this is what I've heard.

So, I think that it will be there is a battle with two guys in it. Ahlqvist and Rämö on paper. It's totally different thing how they play in the rink...

Pekka Lampinen
05-13-2004, 02:02 PM
There is some rumors that Karri Rämö will play with the Pelicans SM-Liiga team almost all the season as a back up goalie. I don't know if this is true but this is what I've heard.

That doesn't make much sense, they've already acquired Helanen and Suomalainen.

Korkki
05-14-2004, 05:08 AM
What it seems now, Tarkki is the only guy to be a starter in senior team (Hermes) next season. Rask will be as backup of SM-liiga most of the season so I think that the WJC is not the correct time to give him icetime as starter. If he gets several games in SM-liiga the case would be different. Hostikka would be a black horse of the poll, but it depends SaiPa's goalie situation a lot...

Pekka Lampinen
06-05-2004, 12:45 PM
KalPa re-signed Ari Luostarinen, so no Mestis games for Kilpeläinen next season either. I'm also under the impression that Jaakko Huhti isn't returning to Ilves, which makes Rask the backup like Korkki said. If he plays enough games anywhere next fall, it's Tuukka time 'round New Year.

Tarkki is far from a guaranteed starter, Vesa Lahtonen is a good goalie on Mestis level.

Kyri
06-05-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm also under the impression that Jaakko Huhti isn't returning to Ilves, which makes Rask the backup like Korkki said. If he plays enough games anywhere next fall, it's Tuukka time 'round New Year.

There`s also younger Antila in Ilves, but i`m not sure if he`s going to get the backup job. Anyone know what is the plan for him?

Pekka Lampinen
06-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Krister Antila doesn't compare to Rask. He can play in Jr A has an overager and possibly sit on the bench in SM-Liiga whenever Rask needs a Jr A start.