Slovaks ranked by CSS

Golbez
05-13-2004, 12:03 AM
North American Skaters
---------------------
#6 Boris Valabik (D) - When I wrote about this guy, I knew that NHL scouts would watching this guy closely and his ranking would likely skyrocket. Mean, nasty, and will probably get drafted higher than he 'should' be due to his size. A solid prospect, but he still needs to work on the finer points of his skating and stickhandling.

#43 Michal Sersen (D) - Plenty of concerns about his skating ability, which would make him seem like quite a liability. Can his hockey smarts compensate? Forwards such as Ray Sheppard have had great careers based on their smarts alone, but few defensemen have the same success. Risky pick.

#160 David Halasz (D)
#186 Juraj Liska (D)
#205 Marek Hascak (C)
Quite a drop-off from Valabik and Sersen

European Skaters - Looks good for Slovakia this year, despite the fact the skaters seem underrated. Some good steals for NHL teams from Slovakia.

#6 Andrej Meszaros (D) - One of the best dmen in the Slovak league and a member of the WC team...I can't believe he wasn't at least ranked #4... He owns Valabik in terms of skill, but scouts will question his 'toughness' until he plays a game in North America.

#26 Juraj Gracik (W) - Unless tall guys like Kutny, Blaho, etc...Gracik can actually score...plenty and often. Given his size and scoring touch, it seems odd for the CSS to rank him this low.

#30 Roman Tomanek (W) - Talented and lazy, perhaps a move to North America can help improve his off-ice habits. Worth the risk in the mid rounds, since he likes to compete in big games.

#38 Ladislav Scurko (C) - He was figured to be the top Slovak forward coming in to this season, but he slipped just a little. Has played well at international competitions.
#39 Andrej Sekera (D) - At the start of the season, he really seemed like too much of a European (too finesse) d-man. Now, all reports speak glowingly of his ability to dish out checks and willingness to play physical...moving on up
#67 Peter Olvecky (W) - Got a taste of the pro game with the champion Trencin squad.
#75 Igor Bacek (W)
#84 Vladimir Kubus (C) - I hope he stays with Poprad, since they need young talent to succeed and the openings are there since they sold off all of their vets
#90 Marek Ulehla (W)
#119 Erik Piatak (C) - Another Poprad center, but bigger than Kubus.
#134 Ladislav Sikorcin (C) - Trencin keeps producing so much talent
#158 Tomas Bulik (C)

European Goalies
#3 Michal Valent - from all I've read, he's played well at International tournaments and is worthy of a #3 ranking. I'd like to know what his future career plans are, since Martin's senior team was now demoted to the 1st division. Valent might be a good candiate to play in the CHL.

McCabeW
05-13-2004, 06:27 PM
He just signed a contract with Sparta Praha for 2004/05. Probably a 3rd or 4th round pick in the NHL draft. He will be a steal by whomever takes him.

leafaholix*
05-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Has anyone seen Juraj Gracik play?

Strengths... weaknesses?

Golbez
05-14-2004, 12:04 AM
He just signed a contract with Sparta Praha for 2004/05. Probably a 3rd or 4th round pick in the NHL draft. He will be a steal by whomever takes him.

I haven't seen this move posted on the Czech site yet, but young guys tend to fly under the radar sometimes.

Now, with Briza and Popperle established as the 1-2 duo with the Senior team, I presume that Sparta would want Valent as their #1 on the junior squad. This would be a step up from the Slovak juniors, providing Valent isn't stuffed on the bench as a backup for the junior squad.

Valent is par for the course as a 3rd-4th rounder...if he goes any later than that, then he'd be a real steal. I'm sure teams would be higher on him if he played consistantly more often against higher competition like the Czech juniors could provide.

Masterovic
05-15-2004, 01:08 PM
Why Stanislv Lascek is not in North American Skaters ranking?

Golbez
05-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Why Stanislv Lascek is not in North American Skaters ranking?
I know Lascek has many questions about his poor skating, but I find it hard to believe that he wasn't ranked by CSS at all unless he opted out for the draft.

He might be a poor skater (but I'd like to see more of him to make a better opinion), but he's been productive (Unlike the tall guys like Kutny) and he's had rave reviews about his character and work ethic.

Small frame + below-average skater = scares away NHL teams

Still, the fact he wasn't even ranked is odd..

leafaholix*
05-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Has anybody seen Juraj Gracik play?

czechhockeyfan
06-03-2004, 02:32 AM
I haven't seen this move posted on the Czech site yet, but young guys tend to fly under the radar sometimes.

Now, with Briza and Popperle established as the 1-2 duo with the Senior team, I presume that Sparta would want Valent as their #1 on the junior squad. This would be a step up from the Slovak juniors, providing Valent isn't stuffed on the bench as a backup for the junior squad.

Valent is par for the course as a 3rd-4th rounder...if he goes any later than that, then he'd be a real steal. I'm sure teams would be higher on him if he played consistantly more often against higher competition like the Czech juniors could provide.

I havenīt heard about his transfer to Sparta Prague yet but I have heard he is thinking about CHL. He would be definitely No.1 goalie for Spartaīs junior team but I donīt think he would be in long-term plans of Spartaīs management, they own rights for Duba, Popperle(undrafted but I believe he will be selected this year), Schwarz even if all could move to N.A. in a few years.

McCabeW
06-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Valent has already signed with Sparta Praha for 2004/05. Will start for juniors and try to break in with A team.

thestonedkoala
06-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Who the hell is number 67, Peter Olvecky? Wild drafted him...