Why Wayne Gretzky left Edmonton

outKast*
05-18-2004, 07:58 PM
I would hate to open up old wounds for the die hard Oilers fans who watched him leave Edmonton in the late 80's but i wasn't even in Canada then. I was still in Sweeden and even back then i wasn't much of a hockey fan. So now i ask.... What's the real reason why Gretzky left Edmonton in the first place besides the fact that Peter Pocklington's an idiot? Was it becuase of money and out small market team or becuase Jimmy Carson was too tempting to pass up? I don't get why anyone would trade the best player of all time....? And does anyone know why he left Los Angeles? thanks to those who can answer.

dawgbone
05-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Gretzky said that he wanted to explore the free agent market, so instead of losing Gretzky for nothing, they traded him.

At least that was what he said on his DVD...

Broadway Brett
05-18-2004, 09:25 PM
I read that it was because money. I wasn't even born then, so I wouldn't really know, but that's what I read.

Oi'll say!
05-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Gretzky said that he wanted to explore the free agent market, so instead of losing Gretzky for nothing, they traded him.

At least that was what he said on his DVD...The Yoko Ono theory is similar - "We're moving to LA or you're a free agent puck-boy!"

Back in the day they were claiming that Wayne didn't even want as much of Bruce's hard earned money ( ;) )as he was offered so it's kind of funny that he'd say that now.

Bohologo
05-18-2004, 09:36 PM
I suspect that we'll never know the entire story, but from Pocklington's side of things, Gretzky was a depreciating asset whose performance had peaked. Given Pocklington's trouble with Gainers, the Alberta Treasury Board and other business concerns, Pocklington liquidated the one asset that would guarantee maximum return. Besides the bodies and draft picks, Gretzky got Pocklington $15 million, if memory serves correct. A sad day for Oilers fans.

outKast*
05-18-2004, 11:47 PM
So if Wayne hadn't met Janet, he wouldn't have had to move to L.A. to follow her, and the Oilers would have had 3 or 4 more cups under their belt? ohhhh dear. hahaha I'm not liking this Nedved situation. When Veronika and Petr get married the Oilers may have another Ono type incident. Yes it was a very sad day i would imagine....

hmmmmmmm so this is all Janet's fault?

Narnia
05-18-2004, 11:53 PM
I suspect that we'll never know the entire story, but from Pocklington's side of things, Gretzky was a depreciating asset whose performance had peaked. Given Pocklington's trouble with Gainers, the Alberta Treasury Board and other business concerns, Pocklington liquidated the one asset that would guarantee maximum return. Besides the bodies and draft picks, Gretzky got Pocklington $15 million, if memory serves correct. A sad day for Oilers fans.
The sad part is that Pocklington used the $15M for his own interests instead of the Oilers. I'm currently reading "The Glory Barons" and Pocklington tried to sneak a fast one when he tried to sell the team to Les Alexander. He always just wanted cash and Slats had to talk Pocklington into having players come back in trades as well. I wonder how much of Pocklington's financial troubles was part of the reason Slats drafted so poorly.

Oi'll say!
05-19-2004, 12:18 AM
So if Wayne hadn't met Janet, he wouldn't have had to move to L.A. to follow her, and the Oilers would have had 3 or 4 more cups under their belt? ohhhh dear. hahaha I'm not liking this Nedved situation. When Veronika and Petr get married the Oilers may have another Ono type incident. Yes it was a very sad day i would imagine....

hmmmmmmm so this is all Janet's fault?The rumours at the time were that Janet wanted to be closer to home, apparently even Vcr was enough of a step in the right direction for her as Wayne was looking at going there if you can believe it.

Whatever Wayne's reasons were though, it's his life and he had every right to do what was best for him personally. He did more than anyone had any right to ask of him for Oiler fans, Team Canada fans and the sport hockey in general.

As for Petr, he has never taken the easy road in his lifetime and I don't expect him to just knuckle under if this is really where he wants to be. I honestly think that this is the best place for him at this stage of his career because the Oilers are stacked with great wingers and Petr isn't guaranteed to be a #1 center with any of the teams that can outbid us.

thome_26
05-19-2004, 01:09 AM
I agree with ya 110% Oi'll, however, I can STILL be pissed at Janet - because if he could have met some Edmontonian girl then theres a chance that Slats could have convinced Poklington to keep the "big name" player for revenue purposes.

Digger12
05-19-2004, 01:41 AM
I agree with ya 110% Oi'll, however, I can STILL be pissed at Janet - because if he could have met some Edmontonian girl then theres a chance that Slats could have convinced Poklington to keep the "big name" player for revenue purposes.

He did have an Edmonton girl...remember Vicki Moss?

Don't remember why they broke up, but they were an item before JJ came along.

thome_26
05-19-2004, 01:44 AM
to bad Vicki couldn'ta got him locked up long term :)

Would have ment the same for Edmonton, no?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
05-19-2004, 02:22 AM
Peter Pocklington sold him. It's flat-out that simple. Puck didn't like the money he was losing on his other businesses (the Oilers were making money BTW) so he sold him. Wayne could've stopped it, but he figured too much was already in motion. This is what's always been said.

xerburt
05-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Quite honestly, I don't have a problem with Pocklington using money earned from the Oilers for his other business interests. He was the owner, after all, and the Oilers were just another revenue stream for him. Yes, it would have been nice if he reinvested Oiler related funds into the team, but c'est la vie.

As for Wayne leaving Edmonton, I can't say I blame him. Sure Edmonton is a great place to live - I loved it in when I was there. And you can't deny that he was in a great position professionally - 4 Cups in 5 years - amazing, really.

But what more did Wayne have to prove in Edmonton? Winning more Cups certainly is huge motivation for any athlete, but I think when you get to the point that Wayne got to, there's much more to life. He's got a wife, who probably wants to pursue her own career (acting), and frankly, Edmonton isn't exactly the hotbed of film making. The American market is undoubtedly a cash cow for marketing and promotional purposes, both for hockey and personally (Coke ads, etc.). Plus, he got a deal to be the highest paid hockey player ever.

Nothing against Edmonton or anything, but there is a big difference living it up in a place like LA or NY versus "small town" Edmonton. With millions of dollars, I can only imagine how fun it might be. Edmonton is a great place, no doubt. But like any other, it has its pros and cons - and most of its cons stem from the fact that it is relatively small market.

Meanashell11
05-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Yeah, Janets career really took off. I still can't believe those Police Academy movies were passed over for the Oscar. In any event Wayne has appeared on film more than she has. I think it was all Pocklinton and thats it. McNall showed him a bid and that was that. :banghead: :shakehead

dawgbone
05-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Yeah, Janets career really took off. I still can't believe those Police Academy movies were passed over for the Oscar. In any event Wayne has appeared on film more than she has. I think it was all Pocklinton and thats it. McNall showed him a bid and that was that. :banghead: :shakehead

That was the worst part... she hasn't done jack all since she married Gretz...

IceDragoon
05-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Gretz choosing LA for Janet's career was nothing more than Pocklington trying to save face.
She was prepared to settle down and be a wife and mother, so it didn't matter where Wayne played.
Pocklington was selling him and he chose to make the best of it, for his family and for hockey.

btw - Here's a link to Janet's filmography.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428314/