VIEW THE FULL VERSION : Norway: State of norwegian hockey

Coog
12-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Hi there Norbaggar!:) Hrmm, you can disregard the opening pun, I come in peace.

Inspired from the WJC forum, I just wanted to pop in to ask a little how norwegian hockey is progressing. You are clearly getting better, fast. I can only look at my team in Sweden, Färjestad, we’ve got som terrific norwegian players, and still have. Bastiansen is one of my favourite players. Norwegians in the SEL isn’t a rare commodity anymore and you have also produced a coming superstar in Mats Mats Zuccarello Aasen. But do the interest in Norway follow this development? Is it all fotball or do hockey get its fare share of the attention? It would be nice to see norwegian hockey take a step up so we’ll have a strong nordic trifecta of hockey countries. :nod:

SirKillalot
12-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Sadly there is little interest. But, it's the audience-wise, it's the second sport after Football(soccer).

Stavanger has figured it out, and will build a 5000(?) seats stadium in NHL-rink size. Hopefully the old norwegian hockey federation will change the rules to make norwegian hockey more entertaining and game itself with more tempo and energy.

zorz
12-15-2010, 05:35 AM
I have no clue about interest in Norway, but on the ice state of norwegian hockey looks very good... that loss in Germany is still in my mind :shakehead :D

Coog
12-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Sadly there is little interest. But, it's the audience-wise, it's the second sport after Football(soccer).

Stavanger has figured it out, and will build a 5000(?) seats stadium in NHL-rink size. Hopefully the old norwegian hockey federation will change the rules to make norwegian hockey more entertaining and game itself with more tempo and energy.

So you’re going with NHL-sized rinks huh? Cool, I think it’s a good move. I hope for the same for Sweden but sadly I think that is a long time coming. Hope that will spark appropriate interest in Norway. Mats Zuccarello was a big thing in Sweden (still is, the swedish tabloids keep track on his development on the other side of the pond) and should be so in his home country as well.

Wolfy
12-24-2010, 08:05 PM
So you’re going with NHL-sized rinks huh? Cool, I think it’s a good move. I hope for the same for Sweden but sadly I think that is a long time coming. Hope that will spark appropriate interest in Norway. Mats Zuccarello was a big thing in Sweden (still is, the swedish tabloids keep track on his development on the other side of the pond) and should be so in his home country as well.

And they are, there's a lot about him in Norwegian papers and tv these days, and also the other Norwegians in the AHL/NHL.

But the Swedish papers make life harder for Zuccarello than it has to be when they're saying he wants to come back to Sweden because he's simply mishandled by the NYR. We all know that's not the truth. He showed he's an honest kid when he told the coaching staff that he wants to play in the AHL because he doesn't feel NHL ready. He did the right moves, and now it's just a question of time before he becomes a permanent player of the NYR.

Zucca
12-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Actually, I think the interest for overseas hockey has increased lately. 10 years ago it seemed like only a couple of guys I knew was into the NHL and/or the SEL. Nowadays following teams in other countries seems a lot more common.

This may be a positive thing for norwegian clubs to......

But the main reason the national team will keep getting better, is younger players going to Sweden to develop already as juniors.......

Slayem
01-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Yes ,the Norwegian hockey organisation is working very very good and young talents is sent to Sweden for further development. Hockey has been held down in media for decades because the most important media houses like NRK and TV2 is packed with cross country skiing, long distance skating,soccer and handball lovers.They decided what to be shown for years and the public interest have been led to those microbe sports(exept soccer).
However, new arenas for hockey is being built in towns that never have had any rinks before and even more is coming,so hockey is slowly gaining popularity.

Ducksgo*
01-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Super stoked for Norwegian hockey in 5-10 years, there is some SOLID progression coming from Norway to look out for!

IslesNorway
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
With players like Holøs and Zuccarello doing well in the NHL and getting a fair bit of press, the sport may indeed gain a bit more interest from the average guy in the street.

In Norway, hockey's main problem is that it has a somewhat bad reputation. It is regarded as a sport for bullies and macho-men and Joe Public doesn't really get the point of it. And until that reputation is sorted out things will never improve considerably.

Secondly, the is such a lack of rinks in this country that the sport will never be big. There isn't a single rink north of Trondheim (look at the map...!) and the sport is only popular is a few local regions not nationwide.

The progress in recent years of prospects and players is very nice to see, but in the end there is a limit to how far it'll go.

SirKillalot
01-07-2011, 02:25 PM
With players like Holøs and Zuccarello doing well in the NHL and getting a fair bit of press, the sport may indeed gain a bit more interest from the average guy in the street.

In Norway, hockey's main problem is that it has a somewhat bad reputation. It is regarded as a sport for bullies and macho-men and Joe Public doesn't really get the point of it. And until that reputation is sorted out things will never improve considerably.

Secondly, the is such a lack of rinks in this country that the sport will never be big. There isn't a single rink north of Trondheim (look at the map...!) and the sport is only popular is a few local regions not nationwide.

The progress in recent years of prospects and players is very nice to see, but in the end there is a limit to how far it'll go.

It doesn't help that professional boxing is illegal in either(in Norway). It's in the back of people's mind. Bullying, boxing/fighting = illegal

It needs to CHANGE!

babyshamble
01-07-2011, 04:47 PM

There are two arenas north of Trondheim, Tromsø opened in October and Narvik opened now in January. After about 25-30 years of nothing things are finally starting to happen. In the last couple of years new arenas have opened in Haugesund, Moss, Bergen, Nærbø and Skien. All new markets for hockey exept for Bergen. They have also started to build a new rink in Kristiansand. Building permits have also been approwed for new arenas in Bærum, Oslo, Jessheim and Stavanger.

Imo hockeys problem in Norway is not the "bully" image but the amateur image. The Norwegian public will not embrace Hockey untill hockey is percieved as a serious sport. We have a semi-pro top-league where 8 out of 10 teams play in cold, worn-down arenas with poor facilities. This does not generate intrest from "Joe Public" wich again hurts recruiting because people have to be really in to hockey to be willing to make the sacrice it is to have your kid play. It`s one of the most expensive sports out there, probably the most expensive team-sport. Its not only hockey-gear, its traveling to away games, insurance license, club-fees etc.. Even tough Norwegian hockey-players (most of them atleast) are serious athletes who train hard and devote themselves to their sport, they are perceived as amateurs because the sport has an amateur stamp on it. Imo this is Elitehockey, the organisation of the elite-clubs in Norways job to do something with. An image can be changed thats what you have skilled PR-conultants for, not former players and other people who have always been there and always will due to contacts and family ties.

With that being said I think our development system have made huge strides the latest years. We now have 3 homegrown players on NHL contracts. All of them have been developed trough the Norwegian junior-system. Our u-18s and u-20s are both playing in the A-group. Our u-20s went down and so will probably our u-18s but still. To be able to compete with the likes of Czech Rep, Slovakia and beating Germany is not to bad considering our small talent-pool. The fact that we are now a top-10 nation is nothing short of a major accompishment considering that we in in 2004 were ranked as nr 21 in the world far behind countries like Italy and France. The Norwegian hockey-academies are actually really good.

IslesNorway
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
There are two arenas north of Trondheim, Tromsø opened in October and Narvik opened now in January. After about 25-30 years of nothing things are finally starting to happen. In the last couple of years new arenas have opened in Haugesund, Moss, Bergen, Nærbø and Skien. All new markets for hockey exept for Bergen. They have also started to build a new rink in Kristiansand. Building permits have also been approwed for new arenas in Bærum, Oslo, Jessheim and Stavanger.

Imo hockeys problem in Norway is not the "bully" image but the amateur image. The Norwegian public will not embrace Hockey untill hockey is percieved as a serious sport. We have a semi-pro top-league where 8 out of 10 teams play in cold, worn-down arenas with poor facilities. This does not generate intrest from "Joe Public" wich again hurts recruiting because people have to be really in to hockey to be willing to make the sacrice it is to have your kid play. It`s one of the most expensive sports out there, probably the most expensive team-sport. Its not only hockey-gear, its traveling to away games, insurance license, club-fees etc.. Even tough Norwegian hockey-players (most of them atleast) are serious athletes who train hard and devote themselves to their sport, they are perceived as amateurs because the sport has an amateur stamp on it. Imo this is Elitehockey, the organisation of the elite-clubs in Norways job to do something with. An image can be changed thats what you have skilled PR-conultants for, not former players and other people who have always been there and always will due to contacts and family ties.

With that being said I think our development system have made huge strides the latest years. We now have 3 homegrown players on NHL contracts. All of them have been developed trough the Norwegian junior-system. Our u-18s and u-20s are both playing in the A-group. Our u-20s went down and so will probably our u-18s but still. To be able to compete with the likes of Czech Rep, Slovakia and beating Germany is not to bad considering our small talent-pool. The fact that we are now a top-10 nation is nothing short of a major accompishment considering that we in in 2004 were ranked as nr 21 in the world far behind countries like Italy and France. The Norwegian hockey-academies are actually really good.

Well put! Indeed hockey is viewed as a sport where people get to fight a lot and not as a team effort that requires tons of skill.

If only they could get Norwegian hockey on national tv and generate some interest that way it'll stay a marginal sport. In fact I'm part of the prolem myself living witihin a ten minute drive from five arenas yet never going for a game!

Wolfy
01-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I have family in Stavanger and I heard they are building a new NHL-style arena there with 10.000 seats. Thats more like it, hopefully other cities will follow :nod:

Also heard several coaches including Espen Knutsen said fighting should be allowed, will increase ticket sales. Maybe a good idea.

babyshamble
01-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I have family in Stavanger and I heard they are building a new NHL-style arena there with 10.000 seats. Thats more like it, hopefully other cities will follow :nod:

Also heard several coaches including Espen Knutsen said fighting should be allowed, will increase ticket sales. Maybe a good idea.

I think the capacity for Hockey games will be about 6-7000 but still this is great news and will give the Stavanger Oilers and the Norwegian GET-League a big boost. I also think they will be building 2 additional ice-rinks in the same arena complex, that will be great for development and recruiting in the Stavanger area. West-Norway has been sort of a "sleeping" market since the 80`s but things are looking up now.
New rinks in Stavanger, new rinks has been builth in Nærbø, Haugesund and Bergen. With rinks planned in Kristiansand and one already builth in Skien as well this would give us a link between Oslo and the West wich could be a massive thing for development in Norway. We could now have more leagues for kids without the two Stavanger teams having to play each other 20 times a year and flying to Oslo to play tournaments.

I regards to Espen`s suggestions i am all for it, but unfortunately i don`t think the Norwegian hockey association is. They are to concerned with the image thing and would rather have hockey become a non-contact sport. Thinking that this would suddenly bring sponsors and a new audience to hockey in Norway.

IslesNorway
01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Allowing fighting won't do anything good for the game over here. It'll only enhance the sport's reputation as that of a game played by brutes. Fighting might create interest in America but in Europe - not so.

Icebear
01-12-2011, 11:57 PM
What Norway need, is a real big star in the NHL who can get more press coverage than Petter Nortug in norwegian papers. ( Look what Magnus Carlsen has done for interest in chess...) MZA has the potential to be really great now. If he get success, it will then create more demand for TV time among the norwegians, and an enormous enthusiasm among younger athletes. Eventually that will create a demand for more rinks. Norwegian ice hockey require a lot of press in Norway in order to grow in popularity. To get more press, we need a NHL star. Go Zucca....:yo:

Artemia
03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
What Norway need, is a real big star in the NHL who can get more press coverage than Petter Nortug in norwegian papers. ( Look what Magnus Carlsen has done for interest in chess...) MZA has the potential to be really great now. If he get success, it will then create more demand for TV time among the norwegians, and an enormous enthusiasm among younger athletes. Eventually that will create a demand for more rinks. Norwegian ice hockey require a lot of press in Norway in order to grow in popularity. To get more press, we need a NHL star. Go Zucca....:yo:

Good luck with that. Wouldn't happen even with a norwegian dominating NHL.

I've already noticed, as expected, a massive decrease in hockey coverage already. Several games where they hardly mentioned when Zuccarello was playing well and getting points.

I remember one game where Zucc got 1 assist and was on the ice on 3 of 5 Rangers goals, playing amazingly. Norwegian article was "zuccarello misses penalty shot". Didn't even mention his assist point for example.

They havent had a single article about Holøs' 3-4 or last games.
Most people think he's still playing in AHL.

Media coverage is as bad as ever again now. Our players in Sweden and our own league is getting even less coverage now too due to the probably single hockey reporter has to focus on NHL too.

TollefsenFan
04-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Well just give a nor passport to Byfuglien ;) Byfuglien is Carew on skates :hit: