190. Lennart Petrell, Columbus
191. Karri Rämö, Tampa Bay
196. Petri Kontiola, Chicago
204. Miikka Tuomainen, Atlanta
258. Pekka Rinne, Nashville
260. Marko Anttila, Chicago
264. Valtteri Tenkanen, Los Angeles
269. Janne Pesonen, Anaheim

Notable misses: Aleksis Ahlqvist, Teemu Nurmi, Niklas Bäckström, Petteri Wirtanen, Miika Wiikman, Tuomas Gärdström, Matti Uusivirta

A so-so outcome, I would've liked a few more picks. Tukonen got into a suitable organization, Korpikoski didn't. The second round just isn't for Finns - Marjamäki is the only second round pick in the last three years, and even he went outside top 60.

Predatore
06-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Laituri,
Where did this HUGE Marko Anttila play last season and do you think he was worthy a pick?

Flonaldo
06-28-2004, 05:46 AM
Laituri,
Where did this HUGE Marko Anttila play last season and do you think he was worthy a pick?Lempäälän Kisa. Tier IV with the men and Tier III (I think) in the juniors. He's joining Ilves juniors this summer, hopefully grabbing a spot on their Jr.A team.

If you'd asked us to rank 500 players we might think that'd get drafted, no-one would've listed Anttila. He's 6"7' and can skate - that's about it that anyone knows about him.

Someone might be very kind and translate his interview from Jatkoaika.

Predatore
06-28-2004, 06:35 AM
thanks a lot Flonaldo. Quite the wild card then..

06-30-2004, 07:27 PM
11. Lauri Tukonen, Los Angeles
16. Petteri Nokelainen, NY Islanders
19. Lauri Korpikoski, NY Rangers
66. Sami Lepistö, Washington
118. Aki Seitsonen, Calgary
138. Pasi Salonen, Washington
147. Janne Niskala, Nashville

Notable misses: Aleksis Ahlqvist, Teemu Nurmi, Niklas Bäckström, Petteri Wirtanen, Miika Wiikman, Tuomas Gärdström, Matti Uusivirta

A so-so outcome, I would've liked a few more picks. Tukonen got into a suitable organization, Korpikoski didn't. The second round just isn't for Finns - Marjamäki is the only second round pick in the last three years, and even he went outside top 60.

Sorry, Laituri, I disagree on Korpikoski.

I'm biased because I'm a fan, but I think Korpikoski got into a great organization -- all indications are that the Rangers are very serious about rebuilding and are also very serious about Korpikoski. In addition, the Rangers are seriously short at left wing throughout the system. All things considered, he has an excellent chance to play a very important part on a team that will be much better by the time he hits the NHL.

Of course, this doesn't count if you're a Devils or Islanders fan... ;)

Chaos
06-30-2004, 09:39 PM
11. Lauri Tukonen, Los Angeles
16. Petteri Nokelainen, NY Islanders
19. Lauri Korpikoski, NY Rangers
66. Sami Lepistö, Washington
118. Aki Seitsonen, Calgary
138. Pasi Salonen, Washington
147. Janne Niskala, Nashville

Kind of surprising not one went to Dallas..we've had some pretty good luck with Finns(Lehtinen, Kapanen, Miettinen, Jokinen)

TK79
07-01-2004, 02:24 AM
Rumour has it that the Stars were very high on Korpikoski and would have selected him if he had been available at #20.The Rangers also really liked him, so they traded up to get him.

Chaos
07-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Rumour has it that the Stars were very high on Korpikoski and would have selected him if he had been available at #20.The Rangers also really liked him, so they traded up to get him.

Yes that is true...when NYR traded up to get him, Army panicked and traded down twice :banghead:

07-01-2004, 11:21 AM
Will Korpikoski be going to the army next year? Does anyone know what TPS' plans are for him?

Thanks.

Jussi
07-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Lempäälän Kisa. Tier IV with the men and Tier III (I think) in the juniors. He's joining Ilves juniors this summer, hopefully grabbing a spot on their Jr.A team.

If you'd asked us to rank 500 players we might think that'd get drafted, no-one would've listed Anttila. He's 6"7' and can skate - that's about it that anyone knows about him.

Someone might be very kind and translate his interview from Jatkoaika.

I've seen a couple of interviews of him in the Finnish papers this past week. Apparently, an old friend of Sakari Pietilä (Blackhawks head(?) European scout) asked him to come to the Ilves A-juniors' practises to check him out. Pietilä was impressed by what he saw and recommended for the Hawks to pick him. He's obviously big (201 cm, 90 kg for us Euros) and he's worked hard to improve his skating. Sorry, I can't remember any more from those interviews.

Jyssy
07-03-2004, 07:20 AM
I think Jarmo Jokila is one notable undraftee.

Korkki
07-03-2004, 07:55 AM
I think Jarmo Jokila is one notable undraftee.
I am very surprised that no team saw a long-term potential on him. He is very skilled and good passer. He is relatively small, but there is Martin St. Louis on NHL too...

Padawan
07-03-2004, 09:19 AM
I am very surprised that no team saw a long-term potential on him. He is very skilled and good passer. He is relatively small, but there is Martin St. Louis on NHL too...
Yeah, but St. Louis has exceptional skill and he had already used the North American way of hockey. Jokila has potential but I doubt he ever gets drafted. He is way too small and isn't that St. Louis caliber at all. He will be a good SM-Liiga player though imo.